Cody Ross revisitied

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Cody Ross revisitied

Back on 3/26/12 I posted,

"Ross just put a charge into the ball out over the plate for a dinger.  I just love his swing and believe he will put numerous new dinks in the Green Monster this season.

I further believe, if played regularly, he is capable of pre-2010,2011 J.D Drew type numbers. With a lot more passion I might add.

The question remains can he adequately handle Fenway's tricky right field."

....and there where a lot of naysayers.  Although the season is still early, he sure looks like a 'keeper' to me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Re: Cody Ross revisitied

Great call Dustcover! It's a long season yet, but Cody looks like a pretty decent pick up so far. Now, if he could only pitch...

In Response to Cody Ross revisitied:
    Back on 3/26/12 I posted, " Ross just put a charge into the ball out over the plate for a dinger.  I just love his swing and believe he will put numerous new dinks in the Green Monster this season. I further believe, if played regularly, he is capable of pre-2010,2011 J.D Drew type numbers. With a lot more passion I might add. The question remains can he adequately handle Fenway's tricky right field." ....and there where a lot of naysayers.  Although the season is still early, he sure looks like a 'keeper' to me.
    Posted by dustcover

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

It is early, of course, but it was fairly obvious over the winter that the RF platoon of Ross/Sweeney had the potential to succeed and on an economic basis excel.

But so many people are obsessed with big names and headline stats.  Another example of this madness is how some people complained that Youk in his prime wasn't a big time slugger....just because he wasn't a big HR guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Cody Ross revisitied:
    Back on 3/26/12 I posted, " Ross just put a charge into the ball out over the plate for a dinger.  I just love his swing and believe he will put numerous new dinks in the Green Monster this season. I further believe, if played regularly, he is capable of pre-2010,2011 J.D Drew type numbers. With a lot more passion I might add. The question remains can he adequately handle Fenway's tricky right field." ....and there where a lot of naysayers.  Although the season is still early, he sure looks like a 'keeper' to me.
    Posted by dustcover

Good call DC. When they got Ross, I looked at his hit chart at SF last year, it was full of Fenway dingers and doubles, plus I noted how he hits so many balls right up the middle, and I am not surprised at his start. Last year when I called the line-up too lefthanded and defecient in RH homers I was mocked and called out for being some sort of 12 yr old fixated on homeruns...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

So far he's been a nice addition, I just don't like him center.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Ross needs to play regularly to give us that offensive numbers.  He's a free swinger and to be a successful free swinger, you need consistent at bats.  You get into rhythm and then you hit monster 5-6 HRs a month even though your batting AVG is not pleasant, you strike out alot.  If and only if Ross is guaranteed to get consistent at bats throughout the season, say at least 500 at bats or so, then I would expect him to give us numbers we expect him to give us. But Sox has just acquired another OF Byrd, and after CC and Ells come back, then Ross has to share times.  I don't think his swing will work effectively at the plate every other days. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

The ding on Ross was that he couldn't hit RHP. He's at .275 with 4 HRs. Respectable but does have 15 K's in 45 PAs versus RHP.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The ding on Ross was that he couldn't hit RHP. He's at .275 with 4 HRs. Respectable but does have 15 K's in 45 PAs versus RHP.

It's not that he's bad vs RHPs over his career, it's just that he is so much better vs LHPs.

Here are his average seasonal numbers based on about 650 PAs:

vs RHPs; .253  20  80 (.732 OPS)
    vs LHPs: .283  42 130 (.914 OPS)

Those numbers vs RHPs alone blow away our RF'ers from 2011.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In Response to Re: Cody Ross revisitied:
    Posted by harv53

You're right on Harv, and looking at his first 15 games,

G     AB     R    H   RBI    HR   BB   SO    BA   OBP    SLG   OPS

15   53     11  15   13      5     6     19   .283  .350   .623  .973

Would not it be great if he could maintain this pace til the end of the season.

162 530  110  150  130   50   60   190    .283   .350  .623  .973

Rather unlikely, but if achieved, I would have to say it was a bit more than 'respectable'.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

The ding on Ross was that he couldn't hit RHP. He's at .275 with 4 HRs. Respectable but does have 15 K's in 45 PAs versus RHP. It's not that he's bad vs RHPs over his career, it's just that he is so much better vs LHPs. Here are his average seasonal numbers based on about 650 PAs: vs RHPs; .253  20  80 (.732 OPS) vs LHPs: .283  42 130 (.914 OPS) Those numbers vs RHPs alone blow away our RF'ers from 2011.
    Posted by moonslav59

Agreed. I think he should be an everyday player given his potential to hit HRs, but his defense is suspect, and I'm sure when Crawford and Ells return and especially the way Sweeny is hitting he will share RF. But that platoon will be immense!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

The ding on Ross was that he couldn't hit RHP. He's at .275 with 4 HRs. Respectable but does have 15 K's in 45 PAs versus RHP. It's not that he's bad vs RHPs over his career, it's just that he is so much better vs LHPs. Here are his average seasonal numbers based on about 650 PAs: vs RHPs; .253  20  80 (.732 OPS) vs LHPs: .283  42 130 (.914 OPS) Those numbers vs RHPs alone blow away our RF'ers from 2011.
    Posted by moonslav59

I think you were the first to chime in on Cody Ross, moon. Good call.

I kind of like the way the outfield looks, even with Ryan Sweeney out there.

All things considered. Not perfect, but patched together pretty well.

Hey, Cody! Any ome like you?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Ross is still a better defender than Carl Crawford.

Maybe that's where the platoon is - in LF and Sweeney can be the every day RF'er....

LF - Crawford/Ross
    CF - Ellsbury
    RF - Sweeney

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

With a lot more passion I might add.

The question remains can he adequately handle Fenway's tricky right field."

How did you measure passion? Did you use facial expressions? The position of the stars on the horizon?

Ross does not have the talent to carry a team, but shows what a superstar OF RH bat would do for the Red Sox. Ross is a season long platoon profile who is no more than adequate, defensively.

When the Red Sox get great pitching, 3 runs or less, they still have problems winning games.

Offensive consistency is the key to turn this non-contender Red Sox team into a contender.

Despite the euphoria over beating a struggling Twins team, the obvious flaw will continue to manifest.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

a few posters like space really were excited to have cody signed...

respect.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In response to "Re: Cody Ross revisitied":
    Ross is still a better defender than Carl Crawford. Posted by andrewmitch
    ahahaha.....I can't believe you can type that out and believe what you write. Did you not see how slow and unathletic Ross has been so far?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I admit I was wrong on him becaus I was disgusted with the Sox start. He leads the team in homeruns and RBIs. I am actually glad we have him as a right handed power bat in the lineup because of Youkillis' struggles.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

The fact Ross came from the NL and isn't familiar with the AL pitchers, makes it that much more impressive. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Cody Ross revisitied:
    Posted by moonslav59

I think you were the first to chime in on Cody Ross, moon. Good call.

I kind of like the way the outfield looks, even with Ryan Sweeney out there.

All things considered. Not perfect, but patched together pretty well.

Hey, Cody! Any ome like you?

I can't remember who the first to mention Cody, but it wasn't me. I quickly joined in, so I might have been second.

When Ells & CC comes back, I will still view CC as a "glorified platoon player". I seriously doubt anyone would bench a $20M dollar man vs LHPs, but if anybody would, it might be Bobby V.

Sweeney has had very bad numbers vs LHPs over his short ML career, but he played ina pitcher's park and is still improving. Sweeney is a much better fielder than CC, so a strong argument could be made (if we can put the money on the back burner) for Ross to platoon with CC not Sweeney. Ross could then play RF vs some RHPs, but if CC continues his struggles, we will start hearing talk of playing Ross and Sweeney FT.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and the dirt on one's uniform.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Nice to see Cody producing in the way I envisioned in November, when I began advocating for the Red Sox to consider him as a low cost (dumpster dive) RH OF bat.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

With a lot more passion I might add. The question remains can he adequately handle Fenway's tricky right field." How did you measure passion? Did you use facial expressions? The position of the stars on the horizon? Ross does not have the talent to carry a team, but shows what a superstar OF RH bat would do for the Red Sox. Ross is a season long platoon profile who is no more than adequate, defensively. When the Red Sox get great pitching, 3 runs or less, they still have problems winning games. Offensive consistency is the key to turn this non-contender Red Sox team into a contender. Despite the euphoria over beating a struggling Twins team, the obvious flaw will continue to manifest.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

What a joke you are Softy!  You were just griping about it being all about the hitting!

Ross, if played regularly will put up 90+ RBI's, with a 285 avg., 330 OBP

BUT.....  there are definitely times, whenever there is a moderately difficult play, when we will really have to hold our noses watching him play the field.

STILL......  I would take him ANY DAY over the hard praying, always hurt little girl, J.D. DREW!  Thank God he's gone!

Sections
Shortcuts