Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF?

In Response to Re: Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF? : They lead the AL in runs scored in September, too. By chance, did you notice a change in the pitching in that month?  Or were you too focused on the offensive production from RF?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

I think the 2011 Red Sox Offense is one if the biggest lies Ive heard in recent years outside of anything coming out of Pennsylvania Avenue.

That team did nothing but pile on in blowouts, pumping up their stats at an alarming rate.  You need look no further than their record in trailing after 7th inning games to understand their offense was terrific when it didn't matter.  These offensive stat posts about 2011 are ludicrous in their insinuation that the offense is elite or something.  How about coming back in a game every once in awhile?  How sad was it to know your "100 win team" had no chance to win when they were down a run in the 8th?

That said, could someone please tell me where all this pitching is that the Sox need to obtain? And while you're at it, I'd like to know who is available/targeted when people continue to post over and over that they need a RH power hitter in RF.

If Cherington fixes these problems, he will impress me, I'll say that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF? : So you're an expert on the future of the Giants OF?  They still owe Aaron Rowand 12 million for next year, have 2 young corner OF that are cheaper than Ross and likely don't want to spend  the 6 million on Ross he would get in arbitration, thus Ross hits FA. 30 is not considered past a players prime is any intelligent circle. So while you may not find him exciting, he is exactly the type of player this team needs on the field and in the clubhouse.  While some, you I assume, think throwing an all-star at every position is how you build a team, it is not.  I don't think Bill Mueller was considered an exciting move, probably a "Yawner" to you.  But please, enlighten us on your plans for RF in 2012.....   
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

A bit of presumption on your part?
    Like your having PLANS are of some relevance?

Getting "hot and bothered" about hotstove is reserved for the talking heads and even that seems a bit contrived. Maybe you should visit the Red Sox front office or drop them a note Mr. Baseball.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

[QUOTE]Wowie! You  "experts" think a guy who hit .234 with 2 HRs vs. left handed pitching, and a robust .240 overall in 450 ABs,.261 career hitter with a big .323 OBP., is just going to be the answer to platoon with two guys who should be 4th outfielders at best? People who love to boast how up they are on stats should do some research before wetting their pants over the prospect of such overwhelming mediocrity. You "experts" are really thinking on this one. NOT! Cheap doesn't mean anything if the player stinks.
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

Wow. I think you need to relax. People have been talking about him as a 4th OF, not the next great in Red Sox history. IF the sox are looking to have Kalish/Reddick fight for the job, they need a decent option to include in the mix. Thats the type of player a team gets to be a 4th OF.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Wowie! You  "experts" think a guy who hit .234 with 2 HRs vs. left handed pitching, and a robust .240 overall in 450 ABs,.261 career hitter with a big .323 OBP., is just going to be the answer to platoon with two guys who should be 4th outfielders at best? People who love to boast how up they are on stats should do some research before wetting their pants over the prospect of such overwhelming mediocrity. You "experts" are really thinking on this one. NOT! Cheap doesn't mean anything if the player stinks.
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

Right, hence the phrase "coming off a statistically bad year" in my original post.  This is why he is 'buy low' option.  What would have his price tag been in he hit FA after his 2010 post season, I bet you wouldn't be yawning then.

You drew your conclusions from a topical glance at stats for 1 season.  Over the last 3 years Ross is s .272 hitter against LHP with a .342 OBP.  LHP being the key, since we are talking about a platoon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF? : A bit of presumption on your part? Like your having PLANS are of some relevance? Getting "hot and bothered" about hotstove is reserved for the talking heads and even that seems a bit contrived. Maybe you should visit the Red Sox front office or drop them a note Mr. Baseball.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

In the future I'll be sure to choose my words more carefully so as not to upset your sensibilities.  "Ideas", "Hopes", "Moves I/you hope they consider", "Directions I'd like to see the Boston Red Sox Explore"......   Are these more suitable to you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

His father was a professional bull rider, and thats no bull...

Cody wanted to be a rodeo clown when growing up...

Ben needs to focus on a few "character" players...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Im not opposed to Cody Ross but why not a guy like Micheal Cuddyer. He can play 3B, 2B, 1B, and OF which makes him a lot more versatile. You would have to pay him starter money but it wouldn't be more than we were paying JD. Havn't payed to much attention to baseball this offseason like last couple years but I'm just asking why not Cuddyer? too expensive, he doesn't seem to be injury prone, attitude? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

scoring the most runs in sept and only winning NINE games doesnt add up.

stats arent everything.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

[QUOTE]Im not opposed to Cody Ross but why not a guy like Micheal Cuddyer. He can play 3B, 2B, 1B, and OF which makes him a lot more versatile. You would have to pay him starter money but it wouldn't be more than we were paying JD. Havn't payed to much attention to baseball this offseason like last couple years but I'm just asking why not Cuddyer? too expensive, he doesn't seem to be injury prone, attitude? 
    Posted by maine12[/QUOTE]

Is he worth a first round pick more than ross...because that is what he would cost you.  Type A versus Type B.  Big difference in "compensation", both to the palyer, and his former team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beezer. Show beezer's posts

ross or cuddyer not beltran

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wowie! You  "experts" think a guy who hit .234 with 2 HRs vs. left handed pitching, and a robust .240 overall in 450 ABs,.261 career hitter with a big .323 OBP., is just going to be the answer to platoon with two guys who should be 4th outfielders at best?

Nice selective use of stats. Why not mention his career vs LHPs instead of the 110 PA sample size of 2011?

While previous season can be a factor in projecting future production, at 30 years old, most feel the career numbers are more indicative of what is to come:
    759 PAs  .282/.349/.563/.912

These career numbers blow away those of anyone on the Sox right now.
    He has 46 HRs and 51 2B+3Bs as well, which if pro-rated to 683 PAs, his numbers vs LHPs would look like this:

.282  41  125  (46 2B+3Bs)

His overall numbers vs both sides of pitchers pro-rated to 671 PAs:

.261  25   93  (41 2B+3B)

Now, put this guy in Fenway...

Yeah, I'd rather have Kemp or Holliday, but at what cost?

People who love to boast how up they are on stats should do some research before wetting their pants over the prospect of such overwhelming mediocrity.

My pants are dry, but I see a wet spot on yours.

You "experts" are really thinking on this one. NOT! Cheap doesn't mean anything if the player stinks.

You are assuming he will duplicate 2011.

Who is your choice: give contract numbers and where you'd sacrifice to gain in RF?

It's easy to criticize anyone looking to improve the team within the probable parameters of an equal to 2011 payroll budget.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, that big numbered offense, boosted by many blowouts in the summer, died when it counted in Spetember.

The Sox had about 3-5 more "blowouts" than the Yanks, Texas and StL. Even if you want to call them the 3rd or 4th best offense in MLB, we still have a higher need to upgrade pitching than hitting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF? : Is he worth a first round pick more than ross...because that is what he would cost you.  Type A versus Type B.  Big difference in "compensation", both to the palyer, and his former team.
    Posted by adam4522[/QUOTE]

How many first round picks actually make it to the majors??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF? : How many first round picks actually make it to the majors??
    Posted by maine12[/QUOTE]

Well, since Henry bought the team, the Sox have had good luck with 1-2 round picks:
    2002: No 1st/Lester 2nd
    2003: David Murphy 1st/ Sandwich Murton/2nd Alavarez
    2004: No 1st/ Pedey 2nd
    2005: Jacoby, Hansen 1st/Buch, Lowrie, Bowden sandwich/Egan 2nd
    2006: Place, Bard 1st/Johnson, Clay sand/ Masterson 2nd
    To early to tell...
    2007:No 1st/Hagadone sand/Morris 2nd
    2008: Kelly 1st/Price sand/Gibson 2nd
    2009: Fuentes 1st/Wilson 2nd
    2010: Vitek 1st/ Brentz, Ranaudo sand/Workman 2nd

From 2002 to 2006: 4 out of 5 Sox 1st rounders made it to the bigs.
    3 out of 6 sandwich made it.
    4 out of 5 2nds made it.

Total 11 out of 16 made it (1st to end of 2nd rounders from 2002 to 2006.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF? : In the future I'll be sure to choose my words more carefully so as not to upset your sensibilities.  "Ideas", "Hopes", "Moves I/you hope they consider", "Directions I'd like to see the Boston Red Sox Explore"......   Are these more suitable to you?
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Do what you have to do man, have fun...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Ross may be the best choice as a platoon player.  Mix and match in the outfield a la Earl Weaver, expecting that Ross will be the player that they hoped Cameron or MacDonald would be in 2010.  Think of him as Jay Payton sans the conniption.

As others have said, if the Sox have any room to splurge this season, at least risk it on a pitcher.  They'll be fine with Ross.  They probably won't be fine without another legitimate arm in the rotation. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cody career vs LHPs:

759 PAs  .282/.349/.563/.912

These career numbers blow away those of anyone on the Sox right now.
    He has 46 HRs and 51 2B+3Bs as well, which if pro-rated to 683 PAs, his numbers vs LHPs would look like this:

.282  41  125  (46 2B+3Bs)

His overall numbers vs both sides of pitchers pro-rated to 671 PAs:

.261  25   93  (41 2B+3B)

Now, put this guy in Fenway...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Aramis Ramirez mutual option was not picked up and Theo realizes he may be gone.

This would be a nice FA pickup, giving Youk rest and DH duties.

I know, if the price is right...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Aramis Ramirez mutual option was not picked up and Theo realizes he may be gone. This would be a nice FA pickup, giving Youk rest and DH duties. I know, if the price is right...
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

I don't think the price will be right for us. If Papi walks, I see Lava DH'ing more than Youk. I think Aviles and Lowrie can cover 3rd well enough to feel we should spen elsewhere and not 3B/DH.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Makes sense at this point to let papi and tek walk, trade one of the reddick/kalish pair, along with lowrie, towards a pitcher.  Let Lavarnway, and youk split about 75% of the DH time, with resting regulars picking up the rest.  Lavarnway can be the BU C.  Aviles can pick up some of the 3B time.  Pick up a cody ross to be 4th outfielder and RH platoon with kalish/reddick.  Focus the $ savings, and the outcome of t he trade on pitching.  Replace Paps if he gets too gready, or keep him if he is reasonable.  Pick up 2 SP's, and maybe 2 more of the bedard types for rehab/AAA.  Maybe pick up a Cuddyer type if you have some $ left over to fill papi's roster spot, and be DH/3B/1B/corner OF insurance.

Trade your excess fringe prospects(lowrie, lars,  and kalish/reddick) for pitching depth.  Use the mojority of the $ on the Pitchers.  Fill in the roster with flexibility and depth.  Papi is too expensive, with no position flexibility.  If we had a true 3B only guy, Youk is the perfect DH who can also play 1B and 3B.  Cuddyer is worse hitter, but more flexible roster guy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]The outside the box solution might be for the Sox to try Lowrie in a RF platoon as the RHH.  He's never played OF, so he'd have to learn.  But the man only has only one skill in baseball he excels at, and that is hitting LHP.
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    This is a good idea.  Take him to Arizona and Florida, along with a coach wielding a fungo bat. Might even be a good idea for Lavarnway to go with them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF? : I think the 2011 Red Sox Offense is one if the biggest lies Ive heard in recent years outside of anything coming out of Pennsylvania Avenue. That team did nothing but pile on in blowouts, pumping up their stats at an alarming rate.  You need look no further than their record in trailing after 7th inning games to understand their offense was terrific when it didn't matter.  These offensive stat posts about 2011 are ludicrous in their insinuation that the offense is elite or something.  How about coming back in a game every once in awhile?  How sad was it to know your "100 win team" had no chance to win when they were down a run in the 8th? That said, could someone please tell me where all this pitching is that the Sox need to obtain? And while you're at it, I'd like to know who is available/targeted when people continue to post over and over that they need a RH power hitter in RF. If Cherington fixes these problems, he will impress me, I'll say that.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Most teams have very bad records when trailing after 7 innings.  Really, even if you are close, you face the set up guy and the closer aka the 2 best relievers in the pen.

Interestingly, the 7th inning was far and away their highest scoring inning this year with 121 runs.  I guess thats whjy no one advertises their record when trailing after 6, which I bet is significantly better.

fans complain they want a "consistent" offense, but few seem to know what that means.  I won't mind if the offense improves, but pitching is far and away more important than hitting for this team. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The outside the box solution might be for the Sox to try Lowrie in a RF platoon as the RHH.  He's never played OF, so he'd have to learn.  But the man only has only one skill in baseball he excels at, and that is hitting LHP.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]The outside the box solution might be for the Sox to try Lowrie in a RF platoon as the RHH.  He's never played OF, so he'd have to learn.  But the man only has only one skill in baseball he excels at, and that is hitting LHP.
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

And he can't be counted on to remain healthy enough to even perform in this limited role.  For the last few seasons I've given him the benefit of the doubt, figuring he'd just had a string of bad breaks.  I've given up relying on him for anything. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Most teams have very bad records when trailing after 7 innings.  Really, even if you are close, you face the set up guy and the closer aka the 2 best relievers in the pen.

Yes, it's a stat that needs context top have any meaning.