Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF?

Strikes me as good 'buy low' opportunity.  It is reported on MLBrumors that SF will not offer him arbitration, so signing him would not cost the draft pick we know the Sox covet.  It is also reported that Ross would "likely be in line for a one year deal on the free agent market".  The Red Sox could tack on a second year at a slightly lower rate per year, 2 years/7 million range or 1 year/4 million.

Ross played all 3 OF positions regularly in SF which is a very large OF, so it would stand to reasond he could easily handle the dimensions in RF at Fenway.  He is a career .282 hitter against LHP, with a .912 OPS. 

He is coming off a relatively bad year statistically, but is only 30 years old and some of that could be due to playing a lot of games in tough hitters parks in the NL west.  In 2008 and2009 he hit 22 and 24 HR playing for FLA and has always had decent pop.  Buy low.

This guy was the MVP of the 2010 NLCS and in the 2010 post season hit .294 with 5 HR and 10 RBI in 15 games. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF?

In Response to Re: Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF?:
    [QUOTE]Wasn't it Groucho Marx who said he wouldn't be a member of a country club who would have him as a member?  Cody Ross's very availability suggests he might not be a great acquistion. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Bill Mueller was available, Kevin Millar was available, David Ortiz was available.  Do you have some information about Cody Ross you'd like to share?  He strikes me as a good clubhouse guy and I'd say his 2010 post-season stats speak well of his ability to handle a bigger stage.

He would get more in arbitration than SF thinks he is worth and maybe SF doesn't think he fits in their long term plans.  The Red Sox need a versatile, RH, preferably inexpensive OF.  Ross meets all those requirements and there is reason to believe he has the much coveted 'up-side'. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Perhaps you go with Beltran as the DH and Cody as the rightfielder.
    Betwee the two players you may pay less than Papi and Drew combined and get more productivity and more versatility. Keep Youk as your 3 b with either Aviles or Lowrie available until Middlebrooks shows he's got the goods.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Hmm, interesting option it is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

Seems like he could be a nice piece....from watching the WS a couple yrs ago he looks like an effort guy as well. which is something the Sox could use.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Wasn't it Groucho Marx who said he wouldn't be a member of a country club who would have him as a member?  Cody Ross's very availability suggests he might not be a great acquistion. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Perhaps you go with Beltran as the DH and Cody as the rightfielder. Betwee the two players you may pay less than Papi and Drew combined and get more productivity and more versatility. Keep Youk as your 3 b with either Aviles or Lowrie available until Middlebrooks shows he's got the goods.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

What kind of deal is Beltran expected to get?  We're talking about an often injured 34 year old, I'd be real hesitant at anything 3 years or more.  Last year was his best year in a while and he was .300/22/84, that is good but not worth big money.

If Papi goes, I'd rather see that money spent on pitching than brining in a guy like Beltran, who will cost similar money to Papi.  If that is the plan just bring back Papi.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

[QUOTE]Wasn't it Groucho Marx who said he wouldn't be a member of a country club who would have him as a member?  Cody Ross's very availability suggests he might not be a great acquistion. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Why? He is a FA. Albert Pujols is available so that makes him a bad person?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

In Response to Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF?:
    [QUOTE]Strikes me as good 'buy low' opportunity.  It is reported on MLBrumors that SF will not offer him arbitration, so signing him would not cost the draft pick we know the Sox covet.  It is also reported that Ross would "likely be in line for a one year deal on the free agent market".  The Red Sox could tack on a second year at a slightly lower rate per year, 2 years/7 million range or 1 year/4 million. Ross played all 3 OF positions regularly in SF which is a very large OF, so it would stand to reasond he could easily handle the dimensions in RF at Fenway.  He is a career .282 hitter against LHP, with a .912 OPS.  He is coming off a relatively bad year statistically, but is only 30 years old and some of that could be due to playing a lot of games in tough hitters parks in the NL west.  In 2008 and2009 he hit 22 and 24 HR playing for FLA and has always had decent pop.  Buy low. This guy was the MVP of the 2010 NLCS and in the 2010 post season hit .294 with 5 HR and 10 RBI in 15 games. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

He is a type B FA, so won't cost us a pick either way.  He is the perfect type for the new FO to pick up.  Pitchers are going to be the expensive problem we can't hide from...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Southpaw, I've been on Ross too and I think it was your post on the FA thread that inspired me to start this thread.  Beltran doesn't excite me that much, I'm just over filling every position with an All-Star, especially 34 year old ones.

It seems as a fan base we've become so consumed with 'the next big name' that we've forgotten it was this type of find, guys like Mueller, Millar, Bellhorn, Kapler, Walker, that were as responsible for years 2003-2005 as the big names.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Beltran wont cost what Papi could get IMO..Ive mentioned Cody Ross a couple times here and think he would be a good fit for a year or 2 til we can see what Brentz or Hassan has to offer..Both being RH bats with some pop that play RF..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

What a yawner. Cody Ross?
    A past his prime player, who can't hang onto the hitting poor Giants.
    Plus, that would mean, on a team starved for right handed power, that Kalish (missed most of last season with injuries) and Hillbilly"Gags With Men On Base" Reddick, would get 70% of the at bats.
    No thanks.
    Brentz and Hassan are far from MLB ready. Brentz made SEVENTEEN errors in RF in the minors! Must be a real butcher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Right! We need RF to stink for the foreseeable future.
    Tony C is lloking down from heaven and wondering what happened to right handed power, Dwight Evans is rolling his eyes at the mediocrity present and proposed, and Trot Nixon
    is wishing he was born 10 years later.
    Let's go dumpster diving in RF! Yippee!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]What a yawner. Cody Ross? A past his prime player, who can't hang onto the hitting poor Giants. Plus, that would mean, on a team starved for right handed power, that Kalish (missed most of last season with injuries) and Hillbilly"Gags With Men On Base" Reddick, would get 70% of the at bats. No thanks. Brentz and Hassan are far from MLB ready. Brentz made SEVENTEEN errors in RF in the minors! Must be a real butcher.
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

So you're an expert on the future of the Giants OF?  They still owe Aaron Rowand 12 million for next year, have 2 young corner OF that are cheaper than Ross and likely don't want to spend  the 6 million on Ross he would get in arbitration, thus Ross hits FA. 30 is not considered past a players prime is any intelligent circle.

So while you may not find him exciting, he is exactly the type of player this team needs on the field and in the clubhouse.  While some, you I assume, think throwing an all-star at every position is how you build a team, it is not.  I don't think Bill Mueller was considered an exciting move, probably a "Yawner" to you. 

But please, enlighten us on your plans for RF in 2012..... 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Team needs to get younger at the position. We are too lefthanded with Kalish and Reddick, please get a right handed hitting outfielder with power. Beltran is 34 with a bad knee and has been an injury problem who has Boras as an agent whose clients are notoiously slow from cominback from injuries.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]What a yawner. Cody Ross? A past his prime player, who can't hang onto the hitting poor Giants. Plus, that would mean, on a team starved for right handed power, that Kalish (missed most of last season with injuries) and Hillbilly"Gags With Men On Base" Reddick, would get 70% of the at bats. No thanks. Brentz and Hassan are far from MLB ready. Brentz made SEVENTEEN errors in RF in the minors! Must be a real butcher.

So what is it youre trying to say here? So no Cody but we need a right handed bat and if not Kalish and Reddick??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cody Ross is exactly the kind of low cost player we need in RF. We should not overspend on Beltran. Spend the resources on pitching, pitching, and more pitching.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Ross sounds like a good fit for the Sox.  Right handed, some pop, cheap, and a good clubhouse guy.  Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee no Beltran, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee.  I am sick of retread over paid garbage.  Give me the mueller types every day of the week and it will be an enjoyable team to watch. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Ross sounds like a good fit for the Sox.  Right handed, some pop, cheap, and a good clubhouse guy.  Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee no Beltran, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee.  I am sick of retread over paid garbage.  Give me the mueller types every day of the week and it will be an enjoyable team to watch. 
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]

Right.  Beltran will cost 3 times what a Ross costs but will not give 3 times more production.  Take the 20 + million you save and add real depth to the Bullpen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Right! We need RF to stink for the foreseeable future. Tony C is lloking down from heaven and wondering what happened to right handed power, Dwight Evans is rolling his eyes at the mediocrity present and proposed, and Trot Nixon is wishing he was born 10 years later. Let's go dumpster diving in RF! Yippee!

Well, it looks like the sox might get Ortiz.  They will probably keep Youkilis.  And everyone else is under contract for next year.

RF last year was JD Drew, Josh Reddick, and Darnell McDonald.  If the Sox go with a Reddick/Ross or Kalish/Ross platoon, how badly will the RF offense suffer compared to last season, when the team lead the league in runs, RBI, doubles, OBP, slugging, etc?

If it comes down to getting an All Star RF or a good starting pitcher, where should the Sox use the resources?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Yeah, that big numbered offense, boosted by many blowouts in the summer, died when it counted in Spetember.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, that big numbered offense, boosted by many blowouts in the summer, died when it counted in Spetember.

They lead the AL in runs scored in September, too.

By chance, did you notice a change in the pitching in that month?  Or were you too focused on the offensive production from RF?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross RF platoon/4th OF? : Well, it looks like the sox might get Ortiz.  They will probably keep Youkilis.  And everyone else is under contract for next year. RF last year was JD Drew, Josh Reddick, and Darnell McDonald.  If the Sox go with a Reddick/Ross or Kalish/Ross platoon, how badly will the RF offense suffer compared to last season, when the team lead the league in runs, RBI, doubles, OBP, slugging, etc? If it comes down to getting an All Star RF or a good starting pitcher, where should the Sox use the resources?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

If we have to "dumpster dive" in RF or pitching, you all no my choice.
    If we let Papi walk or trade Youk, I could see upgrading more than with Cody Ross, but I think he will add more than some think.

Here's our numbers in RF last year (our worst position by OPS):
    270 PAs  Drew  .638 OPS (Gone)
    192 PAs Reddick  .676
    86  PAs McDonald .801 (Had no business being in RF as a fielder.)
    84  PAs Cameron  .542 (Gone)

I see Kalish and Reddick fighting for the platoon role with Ross. I think Ross will play vs some RHPs making it about a 50-50 split. (Maybe Ross will get 60% and the winner of Kalish/Reddick will play some CF and LF.)

Even if Reddick hits at .680 and Ross at .780, our RF OPS will be much better than this year's .652 overall number. I think it could easily be 100 points or more better, at a low cost.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

A Ross Kalish/Reddick platoon will definitely yield a more productive RF in 2012 than whatever the Red Sox got from RF in 2011 and at probably 1/4 the cost.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Wowie! You  "experts" think a guy who hit .234 with 2 HRs vs. left handed pitching, and a robust .240 overall in 450 ABs,.261 career hitter with a big .323 OBP., is just going to be the answer to platoon with two guys who should be 4th outfielders at best?
    People who love to boast how up they are on stats should do some research before wetting their pants over the prospect of such overwhelming mediocrity.
    You "experts" are really thinking on this one. NOT! Cheap doesn't mean anything if the player stinks.

Sections
Shortcuts