Cody Ross

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Cody Ross

Ross just put a charge into the ball out over the plate for a dinger.  I just love his swing and believe he will put numerous new dinks in the Green Monster this season.

I further believe, if played regularly, he is capable of pre-2010,2011 J.D Drew type numbers. With a lot more passion I might add.

The question remains can he adequately handle Fenway's tricky right field.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Re: Cody Ross

Passion is not revealed by facial expressions and quips to the press corps. Ross is a reject for a reason. He needs to be a split time role player. The Red Sox needed a true young superstar RH OPS OF profile, instead of ending up with nearly 30 million a year for Crawford and Ellsbury. Pure idiocy!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Before anyone jumps the gun, J.D. put up these numbers in his first three years with the Sox.

games   ABs   HR   RBIs   BA   OBP   OPS

2007         140    466   11    64    .270  .373  .796

2008         109    368   19    64    .280  .408  .927

2009         137    452   24    68    .279  .392  .914

If Ross can replicate these numbers and adequately man right field, I'll be very happy, and I'm sure  Bobby V.
    will be quite pleased as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I just saw him relaying to Iggy and getting ruuners out.  Even though it was from the leftfield, I think he will do fine at RF in Fenway defensively as well.  He got quick and strong arm. 

And Iggy's throw to homeplate was just beautiful.  He should be the starter at SS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Anyone with an iota of sense is excited about Ross in a sox uniform.  Which explains why Hankypanky is not excited.  Another Sox player that he now has to root against, it must suck to be him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In Response to Re: Cody Ross:
    [QUOTE]Passion is not revealed by facial expressions and quips to the press corps. Ross is a reject for a reason. He needs to be a split time role player. The Red Sox needed a true young superstar RH OPS OF profile, instead of ending up with nearly 30 million a year for Crawford and Ellsbury. Pure idiocy!
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Can't dispute your argument re: Crawford, but at least Ellsbury is earning his salary.  But, that's a done deal and the Sox have to live with it.

However, if your going to make a point of $30 M being spent on LF & CF, it would seem implausible that they are going to come up with "a true young superstar RH OPS OF profile", at an affordable price when they have more serious needs.

Ross may not be a superstar, but if he puts up numbers anywhere's close to what he did with Florida from 2007 through 2010, he will win over a lot of fans.

Do note that over an eight year career his average HR output is 21 per 162 games and 79 RBIs per 162 games.  This might suggest that he is a bit more than a reject.  If given the opportunity and he has the kind of year that I expect him to have, he may prove to be more than a split time role player.

If I'm wrong I'll be quick to admit as much, but in the meantime, I'm rooting for the guy, just as I rooted for Scutaro when he first arrived.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Now there's a way to make the guy an instant hit....compare him to J.D.Drew.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

[QUOTE]Passion is not revealed by facial expressions and quips to the press corps. Ross is a reject for a reason. He needs to be a split time role player. The Red Sox needed a true young superstar RH OPS OF profile, instead of ending up with nearly 30 million a year for Crawford and Ellsbury. Pure idiocy!
    i really like how when all of your ellsbury is bad stuff is disproven you just lump him in with Crawford......its hilarious really 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone with an iota of sense is excited about Ross in a sox uniform.  Which explains why Hankypanky is not excited.  Another Sox player that he now has to root against, it must suck to be him.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Sense and some optimism but watch out for the folks here with the mission to keep Sox fans honest, objective, and gloomy.  Irrational exuberance must be minimized at every opportunity. Red Sox fans are defined to be fanatic but this forum has a different climate. Hands will be slapped by the behavior policemen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]The thread is about Ross, right?
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

Not for Hank.  He said last year that Cam should start in CF and Ells should be on the bench.  Having made the worst call in BB history, every thread is an opportunity to bash Ellsbury.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Having said that, Ross is more in the mold of what we needed last year, and not Crawford.  There is a lot of value to be had in one-year solutions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i think that ross will have a 20 HR season if given 500 ABs.  he may drive in 80+ and hit about .275.

he will be a nice addition at a very reasonable price.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]The thread is about Ross, right?
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

Yes it is pike, do you have any input on ross?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Cody Ross has had a nice Spring.
    I'm one who's hoping for the best (he was rather remarkable during the Giants run in 2010!) and hold to that hope for the 2012 season.

Why be negative and stir dissent? That's a rhetorical question for some to ponder...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Joe, the clueless pontifcating porker. No one said Cameron should start and Ellsbury should sit on the bench, but, hey, this is the NYT's! A poster said that Cameron sould rotate between CF. LF and RF, with Crawford spending time plus on the bench and Ellsbury sitting 15 to 20 games for the season.

And, Joe, you are the same idiot who claimed that Tim Wastefield eats innings and is a valuable roster profile.

And, Joe, add Ellsbury's cry baby 2010 sit out an entire season to 2011 and the production doesn't look good at all! 

And, Joe, you were the same idiot claiming the Red Sox were the favorites in 2011, which was a joke!

I really like how Ellsbury in 2008 and 2010 disproved the claims that he was the next Ted Williams or Ichiro or Disabled list Denny!

However, if your going to make a point of $30 M being spent on LF & CF, it would seem implausible that they are going to come up with "a true young superstar RH OPS OF profile", at an affordable price when they have more serious needs.

NSS! That was my point! Spending nearly 30 million on Ellsbury and Crawford, which is like buying two toilet seats made of pressed board at an ivory price. When these two players separate because Crawford found the AL GM fool before Ellsbury, the Red Sox will immediatley become a better balanced team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross : Not for Hank.  He said last year that Cam should start in CF and Ells should be on the bench.  Having made the worst call in BB history, every thread is an opportunity to bash Ellsbury.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

c'mon now ellsbury is my favorite player. don't bash him

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In Response to Cody Ross:
    [QUOTE]Ross just put a charge into the ball out over the plate for a dinger.  I just love his swing and believe he will put numerous new dinks in the Green Monster this season. I further believe, if played regularly, he is capable of pre-2010,2011 J.D Drew type numbers. With a lot more passion I might add. The question remains can he adequately handle Fenway's tricky right field.
    Posted by dustcover[/QUOTE]

Ross has been a hard worker. I will be happy if he handles Rf as well as JD.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]Joe, the clueless pontifcating porker. No one said Cameron should start and Ellsbury should sit on the bench, but, hey, this is the NYT's! A poster said that Cameron sould rotate between CF. LF and RF, with Crawford spending time plus on the bench and Ellsbury sitting 15 to 20 games for the season. And, Joe, you are the same idiot who claimed that Tim Wastefield eats innings and is a valuable roster profile. And, Joe, add Ellsbury's cry baby 2010 sit out an entire season to 2011 and the production doesn't look good at all!  And, Joe, you were the same idiot claiming the Red Sox were the favorites in 2011, which was a joke! I really like how Ellsbury in 2008 and 2010 disproved the claims that he was the next Ted Williams or Ichiro or Disabled list Denny!    However, if your going to make a point of $30 M being spent on LF & CF, it would seem implausible that they are going to come up with "a true young superstar RH OPS OF profile", at an affordable price when they have more serious needs. NSS! That was my point! Spending nearly 30 million on Ellsbury and Crawford, which is like buying two toilet seats made of pressed board at an ivory price. When these two players separate because Crawford found the AL GM fool before Ellsbury, the Red Sox will immediatley become a better balanced team.
    You have repeated said Ellsbury was a perfect 4th outfielder in the NL. Last year you said Drew, Crawford, MacDonald, and Cameron should all be ahead of Ellsbury don't lie. After last season you move to trade him for a righty and now you have he and Crawford are not worth 30 million.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Now there's a way to make the guy an instant hit....compare him to J.D.Drew.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Can you give the Drew crap a rest already? Between you and Soft with Wakefield and Varitek, it's enough already. They don't play for the Sox anymore. Leave them alone. I could never understand such hatred because a player didn't play the way someone wanted them to. That kind of hatred should be reserved for people who do terrible things to other human beings. Not baseball players.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to "Re: Cody Ross": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross : Can you give the Drew crap a rest already? Between you and Soft with Wakefield and Varitek, it's enough already. They don't play for the Sox anymore. Leave them alone. I could never understand such hatred because a player didn't play the way someone wanted them to. That kind of hatred should be reserved for people who do terrible things to other human beings. Not baseball players. Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE] He was making a joke. Relax

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Cody Ross": He was making a joke. Relax
    Posted by RSF4Life234[/QUOTE]

Apparently, you haven't read all his endless Drew posts. It gets old. But then so does bringing politics into every discussion. Some things never change.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

I admit I'm not too familiar with Cody...but all advance reports look good.  Can't wait to see him in action during the season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I admit I'm not too familiar with Cody...but all advance reports look good.  Can't wait to see him in action during the season.
    Posted by Yoshimi25[/QUOTE]

The Gigantes are my second fiddle ballclub, so I got very familiar with Cody when he was in SF.  That is why I was such a strong proponent for his acquisition this winter.  And, the thing that really sets him apart, beyond his strong fielding, hitting and gamer mentality, is the fact that HE WEARS HIS PANTS AT THE KNEE, REVEALING FULL RED STOCKING UNDERNEATH.  My pet peave is the ridiculous wearing of baseball pants at the ankle.  This phenomenon is worse for baseball than PEDs, Artifical turf, and Frank McCourt all rolled into one.  Cody is a throwback.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cody Ross : The Gigantes are my second fiddle ballclub, so I got very familiar with Cody when he was in SF.  That is why I was such a strong proponent for his acquisition this winter.  And, the thing that really sets him apart, beyond his strong fielding, hitting and gamer mentality, is the fact that HE WEARS HIS PANTS AT THE KNEE, REVEALING FULL RED STOCKING UNDERNEATH.  My pet peave is the ridiculous wearing of baseball pants at the ankle.  This phenomenon is worse for baseball than PEDs, Artifical turf, and Frank McCourt all rolled into one.  Cody is a throwback.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Sweet! I trust your observations...and agree with you about the pants.