Cody Ross

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Cody Ross

Put those three guys on the back burner.  Cherington has to get off his lazy azz and sign Cody Ross---which I think he is going to blow sky high because of his slo-mo gait and his notorious ris aversion.  Then when Ross goes elsewhere he will sign an outfielder who is not as good or as young or has the power of Cody.  We've seen this stuff before.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Cody Ross

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

Put those three guys on the back burner.  Cherington has to get off his lazy azz and sign Cody Ross---which I think he is going to blow sky high because of his slo-mo gait and his notorious ris aversion.  Then when Ross goes elsewhere he will sign an outfielder who is not as good or as young or has the power of Cody.  We've seen this stuff before.

To draw a parallel to eBay, Cody Ross probably has an inflated "buy-it-now" price in terms of years and salary. The Red Sox probably would need to overpay on the "buy-it-now" price to get Ross to sign immediately.

A better strategy would be to let the bidding process to take its course.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Put those three guys on the back burner. Cherington has to get off his lazy azz and sign Cody Ross---which I think he is going to blow sky high because of his slo-mo gait and his notorious ris aversion. Then when Ross goes elsewhere he will sign an outfielder who is not as good or as young or has the power of Cody. We've seen this stuff before."

Georom need to be a bit more patient. He acts like he has the runs and the outhouse is a mile away.

[/QUOTE]

+1 :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To draw a parallel to eBay, Cody Ross probably has an inflated "buy-it-now" price in terms of years and salary. The Red Sox probably would need to overpay on the "buy-it-now" price to get Ross to sign immediately.

[/QUOTE]

Im with you Hill. Lets see what the market is for him. Although I probably would have given him the qualifying offer, only because Im sure there is at least a 3 year deal out there for him worth more than 13.3M. Nonetheless, some fans should be a little more patient. Everything is NOW NOW NOW. There is interest on both sides and the Sox will make their offer soon enough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Cody doesn't seem happy with the lack of effort to sign him by the Sox.This is a paragraph from WEEI.com and a link to the whole article:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21238371/ross-red-sox-have-had-ton-opportunities 

Ross said his agent, Mike Milchin, received calls from "multiple teams" after the midnight deadline expired Friday night expressing interest in the 31 year-old. It's a dynamic that has altered Ross' mindset heading into the rest of the offseason.

"Yeah, definitely, because now it's going to be more complex with other teams involved. It's not just [the Red Sox]," he explained when asked if his thinking had changed post-deadline. "They had a ton of opportunities. We talked about this back in July and we couldn't work anything out up until the deadline. Now it only makes sense to listen to other teams. But obviously we're going to talk [with the Red Sox."

Still, when asked if he had an inkling as to what was about to transpire, Ross admitted, "To be 100 percent honest with you, no, not one bit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I figured they would at least make him an offer or give him a qualifying one. They obviously want to see what his market value is before committing to anything.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I like Ross too, but he's not a game changer. The reality is that due to his lack of ability to play anywhere but play leftfield. IMHO it diminishes his overall value. End of the day he's a .270-20-80 back half of the lineup hitter. On the current market he's in a group of guys with similar skills Delmon Young, Juan Rivera, Nick Swisher and Torri Hunter. None of whom are guys that make me go "boy I hope the sign him"...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who are the three guys???????

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Ross pulled off the Triple Crown of Big Splits this year.

1.010 OPS vs. lefties
    .729 OPS vs. righties

.921 at home
    .684 on road

.915 first half
    .738 second half

If you want a guy who murders lefties at home, especially in the first half of the season, he's your guy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I disagree, I don't think we need him back at some rediculous three year contract,  there are plenty of FA outfielder's out there that can preform the same way.  In one to two year's from now the kids will be playing the outfield positions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's the credo of the complainers.

1-Mention a reference no one understands.

2-Do not, under any circumstances, discuss what the offer is.  That way, you can't be wrong.  Fred wants us to sign him, but doesn't say whether he wants is to give him $10M per, or $3M per, and whether he wants a 4-year contract or a one-year.

3-Act as if the guy is a unique talent.  He's a product of Fenway Park, and most likely, a platoon player.  If he is looking for $3M again, I'm cool with that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Ross' price will only come down if the Sox allow the market to set it.  

There is no rush, just like no one rushed after Ross last season, and just like the Marlins let the Giants take him via waiver claim the year before that...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why no one think Ross is a worthy player to resign?  Remember he is a right handed hitter where Boston lack in the line up in the past three years.  Also he is a perfect #5 to #7 hitter in the line up.  Resign him....seriously.  I bet he would just take 3yrs/24mm!!  Swisher, Young, etc will ask more $$$  than Ross!!!  Longer the Red Sox wait, Boston would pay him more cuz Ross would use the leverage on how much Swisher, Hamilton, Young, etc all have signed with a new team or old team (if they all signed before Ross).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why no one think Ross is a worthy player to resign?  Remember he is a right handed hitter where Boston lack in the line up in the past three years.  Also he is a perfect #5 to #7 hitter in the line up.  Resign him....seriously.  I bet he would just take 3yrs/24mm!!  Swisher, Young, etc will ask more $$$  than Ross!!!  Longer the Red Sox wait, Boston would pay him more cuz Ross would use the leverage on how much Swisher, Hamilton, Young, etc all have signed with a new team or old team (if they all signed before Ross).

[/QUOTE]

Most GMs get that Ross is a platoon player with a Fenway swing.  Doubtful many other teams even remotely approach any asking figure in that range, and no team has more cash to burn than Boston.

He'll come back for unreasoanble terms, and they won't kill Boston.  The deals for Swisher and Hamilton won't apply here any more than Zack Greinke's deal will impact Jeremy Guthrie...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Isn't that an incentive for Cody Ross to reject an early offer of three years and $24 million?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

Isn't that an incentive for Cody Ross to reject an early offer of three years and $24 million?

[/QUOTE]

Fans do tend to forget that players are not required by law to sign the first contract thrown at them, and very few agents tell their clients "Sign anything they give you!! Anything!!! Even if its the stub for parking validation, SIGN IT SIGN IT SIGN IT!!! Let them know that is how we roll!"

Fans are so impatient. They think "acting fast" actually works. Players do not hire agents to help them make impulsive decisions.

And if Cody Ross wants to field offers from other teams, there is very little the Sox can do about it beyond overpaying to ridiculous levels.   If the Sox came back with 3 yrs / $21mill, I'd be surprised if any team matched it.  Ross has already played in numoerous organizations, and they have all let him go.  He turns 34 next year, and no one is thinking of him as an up and coming right-handed power bat.   And really, he is fairly easily replaced.  If Ross gets a ridiculous offer, the Sox will mvoe on.  Maybe they go after Scott Hairston, who is the exact same player except NO ONE is talking 3 yrs / $24mill for him...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Everyone wants him, then the Sox don't act. Now he's not a game-changer.

Defend Ben at all cost!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im with you Hill. Lets see what the market is for him. Although I probably would have given him the qualifying offer, only because Im sure there is at least a 3 year deal out there for him worth more than 13.3M. Nonetheless, some fans should be a little more patient. Everything is NOW NOW NOW. There is interest on both sides and the Sox will make their offer soon enough.

[/QUOTE]

He who waits is lost---ever heard t hat expession before?  And since Cherington is slow on the draw, afraid to make a big move IMO, and very risk averse, I can see us losing Ross to a team who sees him as a better than talent than the baseball knowledge shy Cherington does.   Then in either a panic or trying to make amends he then signs a player who plays the same positon but is a lesser talent with less power and talent.  We've seen this before.....Damon and then Crisp, Bay and then Cameron to name just two.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ross' price will only come down if the Sox allow the market to set it.  

There is no rush, just like no one rushed after Ross last season, and just like the Marlins let the Giants take him via waiver claim the year before that...

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Notin, I disagree.  Back then Ross was not coming off a 22 homer, 81 RBI season.  He eats up lefties, hits well in Fenway Park, is a hard nosed player and we need two outfielders---and none on the market have the power he has.  We need power next year very badly, and a team that plays half its games at Fenway Park need good RH power and right now we dont have much of that at all.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Everyone wants him, then the Sox don't act. Now he's not a game-changer.

Defend Ben at all cost!

[/QUOTE]

As opposed to attacking Ben at every chance? Yes, much smarter.

The reality is, no one  on this board really knows what offers have been made, etc.   However, that will not stop anyone from attacking for the sake of attacking, will it?

Everyone assumes Ross is stting back waiting to sign anything.  Why wouldn't Ross test the market after a career year?  If he is as good as you say, he would be stupid not to.  Are you sure Ben is the reason Ross has not signed here yet?   Since you seem to attack anyone who says they don't have all the answers, I guess yuo do.  Exactly what are Cody's demands?  And how far below them was Ben's last offer?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's the credo of the complainers.

1-Mention a reference no one understands.

2-Do not, under any circumstances, discuss what the offer is.  That way, you can't be wrong.  Fred wants us to sign him, but doesn't say whether he wants is to give him $10M per, or $3M per, and whether he wants a 4-year contract or a one-year.

3-Act as if the guy is a unique talent.  He's a product of Fenway Park, and most likely, a platoon player.  If he is looking for $3M again, I'm cool with that.

[/QUOTE]

Hard to give a figure Joe when there hasn't been an offer even made.  Yes, I would resign him to a three year contract at $9 or 10 million a year.  We have the money now and there is no excse for not spending some of it.  If we can give $25 million for a 37 year old who is a near cripple with his achilles, shoulder, wrist and leg injuries, then we can give such a contract as I suggested to a player who is younger, healthier and has longer in the game, and who can play a defensive position with some aplomb.

No surprise, though, coming from you my  friend.  You always seem to take the party line and support what the front office does.  That wouldn't be half bad if we had a front office that was capable and not dysfuntional and inept.  Unfortunately ours in both.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He who waits is lost---ever heard t hat expession before?  And since Cherington is slow on the draw, afraid to make a big move IMO, and very risk averse, I can see us losing Ross to a team who sees him as a better than talent than the baseball knowledge shy Cherington does.   Then in either a panic or trying to make amends he then signs a player who plays the same positon but is a lesser talent with less power and talent.  We've seen this before.....Damon and then Crisp, Bay and then Cameron to name just two.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. it was horrible how Ben made those moves before he had the job.   By the way, did the Sox spend money on any other free agents the years those players were acquired?

Crisp was not acquired via a panic move.  We got him after dealing Renteria out of town, and Crisp did have an extremely good 2005 in Cleveland.   You could have at least mentioned Alex Gonzalez, the only actual player to fit the bill.  But the "downgrade" from Renteria did not support this argument nearly as well as a fictionalized grab of Crisp...

Sections
Shortcuts