Cody Ross?????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Cody Ross?????

After Ross’s home run in the 7th inning giving him 4 for 4, the question came to mind, ‘what if the Sox had resigned him.’

It might have meant not signing Gomes, and if the Sox made Ross the regular left fielder, it might have meant less playing time for Nava.

So I looked up some of the season-to-date stats.

Perhaps Ross’s stats might be even better playing at Fenway which seems to be more suitable to his swing than Chase Field, the Diamondbacks park. Nonetheless, here are some stats.

G     AB       BA     HR     RBI     OBP     SLG     OPS

Cody Ross            86   288    .271      6      32      .328     .385     .714

Daniel Nava         95   330    .285     10     53     .372      .424    .796

Jonny Gomes        77   199     .236     8      27     .336      .417    .753

I liked Ross, and still do, but I think the Sox may have made the right decision.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Cody Ross?????

In response to dustcover's comment:

After Ross’s home run in the 7th inning giving him 4 for 4, the question came to mind, ‘what if the Sox had resigned him.’

It might have meant not signing Gomes, and if the Sox made Roaa the regular left fielder, it might have meant less playing time for Nava.

So I looked up some of the season-to-date stats.

Perhaps Ross’s stats might be even better playing at Fenway which seems to be more suitable to his swing than Chase Field, the Diamondbacks park. Nonetheless, here are some stats.

G     AB       BA     HR     RBI     OBP     SLG     OPS

Cody Ross            86   288    .271      6      32      .328     .385     .714

Daniel Nava         95   330    .285     10     53     .372      .424    .796

Jonny Gomes        77   199     .236     8      27     .336      .417    .753

I liked Ross, and still do, but I think the Sox may have made the right decision.

Great analysis and they are better off.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

You also need to include Carp in that equation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

You also need to include Carp in that equation.

Right you are.  Good point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Not signing Ross was a no-brainer.  Fenway skewed his stats.  He was a nice signing for $3M, and probably worth a good bit more than that.  He's like Gomes a little.  If the offer was $5M per for 2 seasons, he'd have probably have value for us.  But $24M/3 was painfully and obviously excessive.  I'm still stunned how we can sign players like Beltre and Ross to very small contracts, and one year later, using Fenway numbers, they land huge contracts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Not signing Ross was a no-brainer.  Fenway skewed his stats.  He was a nice signing for $3M, and probably worth a good bit more than that.  He's like Gomes a little.  If the offer was $5M per for 2 seasons, he'd have probably have value for us.  But $24M/3 was painfully and obviously excessive.  I'm still stunned how we can sign players like Beltre and Ross to very small contracts, and one year later, using Fenway numbers, they land huge contracts.

Not to derail your thread nor dispute your point in as much as I agree with your assessment, except for your inserting Beltre as an example.  If you check Beltre's stats for 2011, 2012, and to-date 2013, his production for Texas is eerily consistent with his 2010 production for the Sox.  In fact his HR totals have increased from the 28 dingers he had for the Sox in 2010 to 32 in 2011 and 36 in 2012 and 23 so far in 2013.  And although his BA dipped in 2011 to .296, his BA in 2012 matched exactly his BA of .321 with the Sox in 2010.  My point is that Beltre's numbers are legit and are not Fenway skewed.

I totally agree that letting Ross depart was the right move.  However, I rue the day the Sox let Beltre get away. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about Drew's game against his old club?

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

I know this may sound like a baseball-cliche, but Gomes' addition to the club house has been huge. Not that Cody Ross was a bad guy by any stretch...in fact he seemed to be a great teammate last season and was a bright spot amid the mess that we saw.  

However, part of the equation was bringing in fresh new faces to create a new culture. Gomes was willing to sign for two years (a deal I am still not crazy about) as opposed to Ross' demand for three. Nava, Carp, and Gomes have more than made up for the loss of Cody Ross. He was a great guy and he performed here, but no one should me missing him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

A Nava/Gomes platoon in LF is turning out to be pretty good.  Then again Carp/Gomes would be a pretty good platoon as well.  Carp has a bit more pop than Nava and can hit lefty's just as well.  If only one them was a defensive wizard, then it would be much easier to distinguish the two.  I don't see the Sox having room for both of them on the roster next year unless they think they Can live with Carp at 1B....but at such an offensively demanding position he really shouldn't be anything more than a platoon there as well.   

I like Ross, always have always will.  Victorino is an upgrade though, but not by much. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Payback can really hurt and Ross dealt a healthy dose of payback to Red Sox management.

They wouldn't sign him for 3 years. Said 3 year contracts were not being done, Then they sign Napoli to a 3 year contract.

The man was lied to. He was one of the few positives in a negative year.

Good for him.

I hope he homers 4 times off Peavy.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Payback can really hurt and Ross dealt a healthy dose of payback to Red Sox management.

They wouldn't sign him for 3 years. Said 3 year contracts were not being done, Then they sign Napoli to a 3 year contract.

The man was lied to. He was one of the few positives in a negative year.

Good for him.

I hope he homers 4 times off Peavy.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

Why? I want the Red Sox to win and have confidence that Peavy can help them win a pennant. 

Sections
Shortcuts