Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Re: Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul?

I don't think you should ever admit to intentionally hitting a batter. You should always leave yourself the benefit of doubt. Washington is honor bound now to plunk him. Things like this can escalate into a lot uglier situations, with someone eventually getting hurt.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from janthefan. Show janthefan's posts

Strasburg is gonna plunk Pence next time they meet.. 100 mile an hour fastball ouch!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I thought it was bush league, but I liked Harper's comment afterward:

"He's a great guy, great pitcher, knows how to pitch. He's an all-star. It's all good."

I liked even more how Harper paid him back by stealing home.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

In response to "Re: Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul?":
    In Response to Re: Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul? : Please identify the rule that allows pitchers to intentionally throw at batters.  As there isn't one, I suggest you write to Selig suggesting that umpires that throw pitchers out of games for doing just that be kicked out of MLB.  Oh, and suggest he throw himself out for suspending Hamels for doing what you claim is legal. Posted by Chilliwings
    Hamels was NOT thrown out of the game NOT even warned ..... Then when Washington hit hamels in retaliation still no one ejected ...... BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS AGAINST THE RULES?? I will ask again are 4 balls in a row against the rules .... Same penalty !!!! Hamels won't miss a start MLB just sticking up for the new golden boy of baseball !!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Nolan Ryan got to the 7th inning in a no hitter with a high pitch count and the story goes he told the other team first pitch will be a strike and if you don't swing the second will be in your ear....... Throw back baseball good times !!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

People seem to be ignoring the FACT that Hamels WAS drilled later in that game !!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul?:
    I'm all for pitching inside. Backing the hitter off the plate. Intentionally hitting the guy is never acceptable. He has to be suspended. What if the batter threw his bat at the pitcher ? That would surely be a long suspension.
    Posted by dgalehouse

I take it you missed it when Trot Nixon did that in Tampa circa 2002???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

In Response to Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul?:
    Cole Hamels admits drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.He says it's "Old School Baseball". What do you think? The paragraph is from ESPN.com.The link leads to the rest of the article: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7899287/philadelphia-phillies-cole-hamels-plunks-bryce-harper-admits-aiming-him WASHINGTON -- Cole Hamels admits it: He plunked rookie phenom Bryce Harper on purpose. "I was trying to hit him," the Philadelphia lefty said. "I'm not going to deny it." That startling bit of honesty came after Hamels nailed the Washington teen with a fastball in the small of the back his first time up during the Phillies' 9-3 win Sunday night. The candid remark is also certain to cost Hamels a suspension from Major League Baseball.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

If Harper were black, Al Shaprton and Jesse Jackson would be calling it a racist hate-crime, and want Hamels arrested.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

What if a hitter hits a ball and drills the pitcher in the head ? Suspention right ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

What if a hitter hits a ball and drills the pitcher in the head ? Suspention right ?
    Posted by rsinsider

Quite a trick , if he could do that intentionally.  What would we be saying if Sabathia intentionally drilled Middlebrooks , breaking his wrist ? Part of the game? I guess it all depends on whose ox is being gored.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Not that he hit him, but the audacity and arrogance of articulating hid did it on purpose...FOUL...

He will be remembered as the first pitcher to hit the stud player...

Cole is free next year...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Posted by rsinsider

Come on, that's apples and oranges. Hell, not even apples and oranges. More like apples and dumptrucks.

Don't you think if a hitter could intentionally direct a 100 mph hit right through the box every time at the plate he would?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

In Response to Re: Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul? : Come on, that's apples and oranges. Hell, not even apples and oranges. More like apples and dumptrucks. Don't you think if a hitter could intentionally direct a 100 mph hit right through the box every time at the plate he would?
    Posted by LloydDobler

Only Ted Williams could...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

Fair.  Welcome to the big leagues kid!!  Hamels was just unprofessional in saying he did it intentionally.  That was moronic.  And Harper knew what was going on.  Looks like he's been here for years

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teamguy. Show teamguy's posts

Controlling the plate used to be part of every pitcher's arsenal. I wish more of our pitchers owned the plate. But I guess you have to be capable of throwing strikes for that. It's all in how you do it. Most of the great pitchers I've seen in interviews have candidly admittedly to 'winging' a guy every once in a while.

Sections
Shortcuts