Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul?

Cole Hamels admits drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.He says it's "Old School Baseball". What do you think?
    The paragraph is from ESPN.com.The link leads to the rest of the article:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7899287/philadelphia-phillies-cole-hamels-plunks-bryce-harper-admits-aiming-him

WASHINGTON -- Cole Hamels admits it: He plunked rookie phenom Bryce Harper on purpose.

"I was trying to hit him," the Philadelphia lefty said. "I'm not going to deny it."

That startling bit of honesty came after Hamels nailed the Washington teen with a fastball in the small of the back his first time up during the Phillies' 9-3 win Sunday night. The candid remark is also certain to cost Hamels a suspension from Major League Baseball.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Re: Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul?

In Response to Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul?:
    Cole Hamels admits drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.He says it's "Old School Baseball". What do you think? The paragraph is from ESPN.com.The link leads to the rest of the article: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7899287/philadelphia-phillies-cole-hamels-plunks-bryce-harper-admits-aiming-him WASHINGTON -- Cole Hamels admits it: He plunked rookie phenom Bryce Harper on purpose. "I was trying to hit him," the Philadelphia lefty said. "I'm not going to deny it." That startling bit of honesty came after Hamels nailed the Washington teen with a fastball in the small of the back his first time up during the Phillies' 9-3 win Sunday night. The candid remark is also certain to cost Hamels a suspension from Major League Baseball.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

I say foul, i saw that it had to hurt, Cole needs not to run his mouth, pay backs can hurt to.........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I like a nice drilling once in awhile.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul?:
    I have no problem with it, but he was stupid to say he did it intentionally.
    Posted by davetheknave

Agree completely.....a batter who swings as violently as Harper does needs to be backed off the plate.....but to admit it publicly and get yourself suspended is idiotic....no need to....the message was sent and everyone in BB gets it. As long as he isnt headhunting, it is part of the game and always has been.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I got plunked on the same spot on Saturday as Harper did and it hurts like MF.  You can't intentionally hit a batter to show how tough you are unless it's a revenge.  If a proefssional pitcher throws a baseball at you, it's not just a baseball but could be a lethal weapon. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

I'm totally opposed to intentionally hitting someone, and would chuck them out immediately if I were the umpire.  Batting is dangerous enough (see Tony C.) without some dimwit intentionally throwing a 90+ mph pitch at someone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

I'm totally opposed to intentionally hitting someone, and would chuck them out immediately if I were the umpire.  Batting is dangerous enough (see Tony C.) without some dimwit intentionally throwing a 90+ mph pitch at someone.
    Posted by Chilliwings
    Agree.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Foul. No need for it at that moment. Hamels looks ridiculous now for having done and admitted it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChronicNYY13. Show ChronicNYY13's posts

It is totally ok and nice to see it hasn't left the game completely.  You did see who got hit later in the game didn't you?  Cole Hamels.  In the NL I think it is even more ok just because of that.  But I am old school and have even quit watching hockey ever since they turned it into figure skating.  I do agree about the fact that it can be dangerous, but that is why they take safety precautions and get paid a little more than you and I.  

He is a complete idiot for admitting it though.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

It is totally ok and nice to see it hasn't left the game completely.  You did see who got hit later in the game didn't you?  Cole Hamels.  In the NL I think it is even more ok just because of that.  But I am old school and have even quit watching hockey ever since they turned it into figure skating.  I do agree about the fact that it can be dangerous, but that is why they take safety precautions and get paid a little more than you and I.   He is a complete idiot for admitting it though.  
    Posted by ChronicNYY13

not on the balls intentionally thrown at you though.. It could end someone's career.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I'm all for pitching inside. Backing the hitter off the plate. Intentionally hitting the guy is never acceptable. He has to be suspended. What if the batter threw his bat at the pitcher ? That would surely be a long suspension.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Part of the game, always has been. Spouting his pie hole however is just plain stupid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

He hit him in the lower back.  Part of the game.  Move on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

It was fair.  Not like he threw at his head or anything.

Surprised it didn't happen sooner.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

He hit him in the lower back.  Part of the game.  Move on.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

but still it doesn't it fair.  If it was part of the game, why Umps eject pitchers for plunking the batters or why batters get a freepass if they get plunked if it was part of the game?  Pitchers should not hit the batters whether it's intentioanl of not. That's part of the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Opinions look pretty evenly divided.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChronicNYY13. Show ChronicNYY13's posts

In Response to Re: Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul? : not on the balls intentionally thrown at you though.. It could end someone's career.
    Posted by seannybboi

Head is never cool, but balls?????first don't show em your balls, second for $20M per they could bean me anywhere.  I guess if it ended my career I would go have a beer with Carl Crawford.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Hey in the national league the pitchers bat.  Payback will come around to get him the players don't forget.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In Response to Re: Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul? : Agree completely.....a batter who swings as violently as Harper does needs to be backed off the plate.....but to admit it publicly and get yourself suspended is idiotic....no need to....the message was sent and everyone in BB gets it. As long as he isnt headhunting, it is part of the game and always has been.
    Posted by tomnev

Pedroia swings harder than any player I have seen...should teams throw at him???

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

In response to "Re: Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul?":
    In Response to Re: Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul? : but still it doesn't it fair.  If it was part of the game, why Umps eject pitchers for plunking the batters or why batters get a freepass if they get plunked if it was part of the game?  Pitchers should not hit the batters whether it's intentioanl of not. That's part of the game. Posted by seannybboi
    Sorry guy it IS part of the game ,that's why there is a rule saying a batter gets a base after getting hit ,same as a walk is .....is a intentional walk part of the game ? By the way nobody got thrown out and hamels was hit intentionally later in the game .... It has always been part of the game and god willing always will !!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I have no issues with Hammel's playing a little hardball with the kid. It's not like he threw it at his head. I don't even have a problem with him stating publically that was his intent either. Though in hindsight he probably should have brushed it off with the time honored "I was trying to pitch him in and that one got away from me", SOP answer to the "did you intend to hit him" question from the press.

That said, Harper looks to be here to stay and given that they're in the same division. They'll be facing one another often, so Harper will have his chance to even the score by taking him deep. One thing is certain is that the Nationals will be looking to even the score...So if I'm a Phillies hitter, might not want to get to comfortable in the box...

Stay tuned...Hammel's unknowingly may well have fired the first shot in what could prove to be the genisis of a heated rivalary...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

So how would you feel if Harper played for the Red Sox?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

I have no issues with Hammel's playing a little hardball with the kid. It's not like he threw it at his head. I don't even have a problem with him stating publically that was his intent either. Though in hindsight he probably should have brushed it off with the time honored "I was trying to pitch him in and that one got away from me", SOP answer to the "did you intend to hit him" question from the press. That said, Harper looks to be here to stay and given that they're in the same division. They'll be facing one another often, so Harper will have his chance to even the score by taking him deep. One thing is certain is that the Nationals will be looking to even the score...So if I'm a Phillies hitter, might not want to get to comfortable in the box... Stay tuned...Hammel's unknowingly may well have fired the first shot in what could prove to be the genisis of a heated rivalary...
    Posted by Beantowne
      Taking Hamels deep "evens the score?" Does that give Hamels a welt and stitches of a baseball outlined on his backside like Harper had? No, it doesn't. What would even the score is Harper getting a chance to smoke Hamels in the back with a thrown baseball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In response to "Re: Cole Hamels drilling Bryce Harper on purpose.Fair or Foul?": Sorry guy it IS part of the game ,that's why there is a rule saying a batter gets a base after getting hit ,same as a walk is .....is a intentional walk part of the game ? By the way nobody got thrown out and hamels was hit intentionally later in the game .... It has always been part of the game and god willing always will !!!!!!
    Posted by rsinsider

Please identify the rule that allows pitchers to intentionally throw at batters.  As there isn't one, I suggest you write to Selig suggesting that umpires that throw pitchers out of games for doing just that be kicked out of MLB.  Oh, and suggest he throw himself out for suspending Hamels for doing what you claim is legal.

Sections
Shortcuts