Colon?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Colon?

In Response to Re: Colon?:
    [QUOTE]Craze - to comment on ine of your points, if I may. Colon should just be straight with everyone "is all we ask" so the experts can come to a reasonable conclusion. I am not defending or accusing on this subject. The Dr. who performed the surgery has stated that HGH was not used in this procedure. I am not quite sure what you want Colon to say after that. And I am not quite sure what MLB can do here in their investigation. Do they have the ability to request a subpoena and gain access to all the medical records as they pertain to this surgery and aftercare? I don't know. My personal opinion on PED's runs both sides. As of now, if a player is caught using PED's, he must face all punishment set forth in the CBA, especially those who just inject themselves with steroids. However, I see no problems with certain PED's being used during sanctioned medical procedures, surgeries or treatments for injured players. Who is MLB to tell a player that he must forego his livelyhood because the best course of treatment would involve the use of a drug that is deemed to give a player an unfair advantage over others. I just find this somewhat arrogant.  
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

The PED issue is only a small part of the story.  We've known for some time that there would be medical break-throughs that create tough decisions for MLB or for all sports.  Imagine if Colon's procedure involved a prosthesis?  If HGH were involved in the procedure, there is a whole other degree of wrong-doing, but right now the crime in my mind is the coverup of the procedure.

Think about it - nobody is suggesting that this procedure is irrelevant to Colon's success.  It's not like he rehabbed and got himself into terrific shape.  So if you are a Colon supporter at this point, and believe there was no wrong-doing on his part, then you see the procedure as a medical break-through.

OK.  How likely is it that Colon takes part in a medical break-through where the Doctor, instead of using his Miami facility where the procedure was developed and would be detailed in Colon's medical history, makes a house call to Dominican Republic (not exactly Sweden when it comes to technology).  And once this medical break-through has completed, rather than holding a news conference and shouting to the world how amazing the break-through really is, it completely slips his mind when disclosing his medical history to the Yankees.

PEDs are a very small part of the story, and it's a story you can't tell in any plausible way without seeing the dirt on Colon's fingers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : The PED issue is only a small part of the story.  We've known for some time that there would be medical break-throughs that create tough decisions for MLB or for all sports.  Imagine if Colon's procedure involved a prosthesis?  If HGH were involved in the procedure, there is a whole other degree of wrong-doing, but right now the crime in my mind is the coverup of the procedure. Think about it - nobody is suggesting that this procedure is irrelevant to Colon's success.  It's not like he rehabbed and got himself into terrific shape.  So if you are a Colon supporter at this point, and believe there was no wrong-doing on his part, then you see the procedure as a medical break-through. OK.  How likely is it that Colon takes part in a medical break-through where the Doctor, instead of using his Miami facility where the procedure was developed and would be detailed in Colon's medical history, makes a house call to Dominican Republic (not exactly Sweden when it comes to technology).  And once this medical break-through has completed, rather than holding a news conference and shouting to the world how amazing the break-through really is, it completely slips his mind when disclosing his medical history to the Yankees. PEDs are a very small part of the story, and it's a story you can't tell in any plausible way without seeing the dirt on Colon's fingers.

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

It's amazing that MLB hasn't been able to find any wrong doing as of yet despite a full investigation but you were able to figure it all out from your recliner in your living room.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : It's amazing that MLB hasn't been able to find any wrong doing as of yet despite a full investigation but you were able to figure it all out from your recliner in your living room.
    Posted by The---Babe---[/QUOTE]

True Statement!  Maybe he should be investigating Big papi instead if he is so concerned with PED use he need look no further than the Red Sox but for some odd reason that does not entertain him. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : It's amazing that MLB hasn't been able to find any wrong doing as of yet despite a full investigation but you were able to figure it all out from your recliner in your living room.
    Posted by The---Babe---[/QUOTE]

Its a situation everyone "as usual" would like to turn their backs on, but realize it won't go away until everything is investigated.  How long will that take?  Who knows after everything else we have seen.  I hope it is a break through because my fascination with type of thing has always been there and it could extend the career of many.

My concern is, this happened in the Dominican Republic and the improvement was quick and never witnessed before.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Slomag - again, I am not defending, I am just asking. If MLB is investigating, then we have no recourse but to wait it out and see what the findings are. As to why Colon didn't disclose certain information, I would imagine he followed the advice of his agent. This is not an excuse, but it happens everyday in professional sports. It is rare that any player will speak without his agent's hand up their azz.

As for the procedure itself, I am not so smart as to say why it took place in the DR and not the USA. And I am not willing to speculate.

I am not a Colon supporter if he broke the rules, but I will support his wanting to make a living. Let's just wait and see what happens before the hammer is brought down on him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]Slomag - again, I am not defending, I am just asking. If MLB is investigating, then we have no recourse but to wait it out and see what the findings are. As to why Colon didn't disclose certain information, I would imagine he followed the advice of his agent. This is not an excuse, but it happens everyday in professional sports. It is rare that any player will speak without his agent's hand up their azz. As for the procedure itself, I am not so smart as to say why it took place in the DR and not the USA. And I am not willing to speculate. I am not a Colon supporter if he broke the rules, but I will support his wanting to make a living. Let's just wait and see what happens before the hammer is brought down on him.

To me, this issue isn't so much about Colon as it is the future of baseball.  OK, let's take a couple of hypothetical scenarios.

Scenario 1: Colon signed with a neutral team (say the Indians) instead of the Yankees.  He has been healthy the entire season but he has an extra 10 MPH on his fastball - nearing 110 MPH.  He is 12-0 and has an ERA of 0.5.  The Indians are up 5 games at the All-star break.  Should MLB step in?

Scenario 2: MLB investigates and draws no conclusions one way or the other (probably the most likely scenario, as MLB has no authority over doctors in the DR).  A dozen aging formerly great pitchers retire from baseball, disappear for a year and return in 2013.  Guys like Pedro, Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Glavine, Maddux come out of retirement and pitch like they did 10 years ago.  Halladay, Lee, Felix Hernandez, Sabathia, Lester are now considered #2 starters.  Should MLB step in?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : To me, this issue isn't so much about Colon as it is the future of baseball.  OK, let's take a couple of hypothetical scenarios. Scenario 1: Colon signed with a neutral team (say the Indians) instead of the Yankees.  He has been healthy the entire season but he has an extra 10 MPH on his fastball - nearing 110 MPH.  He is 12-0 and has an ERA of 0.5.  The Indians are up 5 games at the All-star break.  Should MLB step in? Scenario 2: MLB investigates and draws no conclusions one way or the other (probably the most likely scenario, as MLB has no authority over doctors in the DR).  A dozen aging formerly great pitchers retire from baseball, disappear for a year and return in 2013.  Guys like Pedro, Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Glavine, Maddux come out of retirement and pitch like they did 10 years ago.  Halladay, Lee, Felix Hernandez, Sabathia, Lester are now considered #2 starters.  Should MLB step in?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

These hypotheticals are more like fantasticals ... it's a bird; it's a plane....

Perhaps we can dig up Babe Ruth's bones and see what this DR. can do with them. Or TW's,  errr never mind.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : To me, this issue isn't so much about Colon as it is the future of baseball.  OK, let's take a couple of hypothetical scenarios. Scenario 1: Colon signed with a neutral team (say the Indians) instead of the Yankees.  He has been healthy the entire season but he has an extra 10 MPH on his fastball - nearing 110 MPH.  He is 12-0 and has an ERA of 0.5.  The Indians are up 5 games at the All-star break.  Should MLB step in? Scenario 2: MLB investigates and draws no conclusions one way or the other (probably the most likely scenario, as MLB has no authority over doctors in the DR).  A dozen aging formerly great pitchers retire from baseball, disappear for a year and return in 2013.  Guys like Pedro, Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Glavine, Maddux come out of retirement and pitch like they did 10 years ago.  Halladay, Lee, Felix Hernandez, Sabathia, Lester are now considered #2 starters.  Should MLB step in?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Going with scenario two - where and how does the league step in? If MLB cannot request and receive a subpoena to acquire medical records from other countries, then what else can they possibly do? Does MLB attempt to regulate medical care by stating that it must all take place in the US of A?

I guess the question is, where has this investigation gone regarding Colon? All I have read is that MLB had looked into it.

I am not saying that you don't look, especially when given circumstances which you have provided (Slightly exaggerated, but I follow the path). But when you do look and find nothing on the roads which you are allowed to travel, then what else can you do, especially if certain roads are blocked?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : These hypotheticals are more like fantasticals ... it's a bird; it's a plane.... Perhaps we can dig up Babe Ruth's bones and see what this DR. can do with them. Or TW's,  errr never mind.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Maybe not as fantastical as you think.  

Are prosthetic legs a medical break-through or an unfair advantage for a sprinter?

In May, there were a dozen pitchers lined up for Colon's procedure "between the ages of 21 and 37".  How many more will be lined up if he continues to have success the rest of the year?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : Maybe not as fantastical as you think.   Are prosthetic legs a medical break-through or an unfair advantage for a sprinter? http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--12492-0,00.html In May, there were a dozen pitchers lined up for Colon's procedure "between the ages of 21 and 37".  How many more will be lined up if he continues to have success the rest of the year? http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/05/23/doc-10-pitchers-want-stem-cell-procedure-done-on-yankees-bartolo-colon/
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Yes, but you were talking about guys in their 40s and 50s with your hypotheticals; now you're pulling out the rug and going back to reality based on the responses of others. You tend to flip-flop.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : Maybe not as fantastical as you think.   Are prosthetic legs a medical break-through or an unfair advantage for a sprinter? http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--12492-0,00.html In May, there were a dozen pitchers lined up for Colon's procedure "between the ages of 21 and 37".  How many more will be lined up if he continues to have success the rest of the year? http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/05/23/doc-10-pitchers-want-stem-cell-procedure-done-on-yankees-bartolo-colon/

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Who cares how many more? It doesn't make it illegal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : Going with scenario two - where and how does the league step in? If MLB cannot request and receive a subpoena to acquire medical records from other countries, then what else can they possibly do? Does MLB attempt to regulate medical care by stating that it must all take place in the US of A? I guess the question is, where has this investigation gone regarding Colon? All I have read is that MLB had looked into it. I am not saying that you don't look, especially when given circumstances which you have provided (Slightly exaggerated, but I follow the path). But when you do look and find nothing on the roads which you are allowed to travel, then what else can you do, especially if certain roads are blocked?

This kind of reminds me of the Ortiz situation. Nobody ever said this was a perfect world; life is unfair. Just look at our legal system yesterday, .. tsk tsk.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : Going with scenario two - where and how does the league step in? If MLB cannot request and receive a subpoena to acquire medical records from other countries, then what else can they possibly do? Does MLB attempt to regulate medical care by stating that it must all take place in the US of A? I guess the question is, where has this investigation gone regarding Colon? All I have read is that MLB had looked into it. I am not saying that you don't look, especially when given circumstances which you have provided (Slightly exaggerated, but I follow the path). But when you do look and find nothing on the roads which you are allowed to travel, then what else can you do, especially if certain roads are blocked?

Those are questions for MLB, but I would think they would want a policy in place that at least documents the procedure, even if it were to happen outside the US.  Just having a team doctor on-hand would probably suffice, and if there is any gray area at all, MLB would need to convene and make a determination before allowing the procedure to continue, assuming the player planned to return to MLB.

Obviously, there should be a penalty for not disclosing an operation, to prevent situations like this in the future.  And in Colon's case, a blood test should be mandated to rule out HGH.

Last I heard, MLB requested the medical records from the Dominican Republic hospital in May, and has yet to receive them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : Those are questions for MLB, but I would think they would want a policy in place that at least documents the procedure, even if it were to happen outside the US.  Just having a team doctor on-hand would probably suffice, and if there is any gray area at all, MLB would need to convene and make a determination before allowing the procedure to continue, assuming the player planned to return to MLB. Obviously, there should be a penalty for not disclosing an operation, to prevent situations like this in the future.  And in Colon's case, a blood test should be mandated to rule out HGH. Last I heard, MLB requested the medical records from the Dominican Republic hospital in May, and has yet to receive them.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

This sounds like a good suggestion; call Bud.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : Those are questions for MLB, but I would think they would want a policy in place that at least documents the procedure, even if it were to happen outside the US.  Just having a team doctor on-hand would probably suffice, and if there is any gray area at all, MLB would need to convene and make a determination before allowing the procedure to continue, assuming the player planned to return to MLB. Obviously, there should be a penalty for not disclosing an operation, to prevent situations like this in the future.  And in Colon's case, a blood test should be mandated to rule out HGH. Last I heard, MLB requested the medical records from the Dominican Republic hospital in May, and has yet to receive them.

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sounds great.....but which team doctor, since he wasn't on any MLB roster at that time?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Slomag - you are providing me with examples and wait lists but not giving me your opinion as to what MLB can actually do about out of country procedures.

As for the prosthetic leg, I think that is a big leap from where we are right now in this conversation. Perhaps if we were discussing the 6 Million Dollar Man, then we could go there. Maybe one day, professional sports will have to answer that question, but right now, it has to do with a surgery which seems to have taken a pitcher back 6 years. We know it is being investigated but are not sure where that investigation is. We are annoyed with Colon because he was not forthcoming from the beginning, but we have no idea what he was advised. We are discussing a procedure which we know has made use of HGH in the past but have a doctor who has sworn that HGH was not used in this case. We know it involves stem cells which have provided amazing results in other countries but is heavily monitored in the US for some bizarre reason which escapes me.

What are the options available?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : Yes, but you were talking about guys in their 40s and 50s with your hypotheticals; now you're pulling out the rug and going back to reality based on the responses of others. You tend to flip-flop.

That was in May.  If, by the end of the season, a 38-year-old with apparently no conditioning routine can be touching 98MPH, why wouldn't 40 - 45 year olds step back into the game?  You look at Colon right now - why can't he pitch another five years?  If he starts to lose velocity, he just gets another stem cell injection.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : Slomag - you are providing me with examples and wait lists but not giving me your opinion as to what MLB can actually do about out of country procedures. As for the prosthetic leg, I think that is a big leap from where we are right now in this conversation. Perhaps if we were discussing the 6 Million Dollar Man, then we could go there. Maybe one day, professional sports will have to answer that question, but right now, it has to do with a surgery which seems to have taken a pitcher back 6 years. We know it is being investigated but are not sure where that investigation is. We are annoyed with Colon because he was not forthcoming from the beginning, but we have no idea what he was advised. We are discussing a procedure which we know has made use of HGH in the past but have a doctor who has sworn that HGH was not used in this case. We know it involves stem cells which have provided amazing results in other countries but is heavily monitored in the US for some bizarre reason which escapes me. What are the options available?

One solution would be to require the player to contact MLB prior to the out-of-country operation, and secure an MLB-appointed liaison who oversees the operation and makes sure it's within accepted MLB guidlines.  If you fail to do so, you will not be eligible to play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : Slomag - you are providing me with examples and wait lists but not giving me your opinion as to what MLB can actually do about out of country procedures. As for the prosthetic leg, I think that is a big leap from where we are right now in this conversation. Perhaps if we were discussing the 6 Million Dollar Man, then we could go there. Maybe one day, professional sports will have to answer that question, but right now, it has to do with a surgery which seems to have taken a pitcher back 6 years. We know it is being investigated but are not sure where that investigation is. We are annoyed with Colon because he was not forthcoming from the beginning, but we have no idea what he was advised. We are discussing a procedure which we know has made use of HGH in the past but have a doctor who has sworn that HGH was not used in this case. We know it involves stem cells which have provided amazing results in other countries but is heavily monitored in the US for some bizarre reason which escapes me. What are the options available?

We don't get from where we are now to the 6 million dollar man overnight.  There are a string of Bartolo Colon's between now and then, which is why this issue is so important.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : That was in May.  If, by the end of the season, a 38-year-old with apparently no conditioning routine can be touching 98MPH, why wouldn't 40 - 45 year olds step back into the game?  You look at Colon right now - why can't he pitch another five years?  If he starts to lose velocity, he just gets another stem cell injection.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

This is not quite the case; the complex procedure was to repair widespread damaged tissue; it wasn't a Vitamin or Cortisone shot. Plus, there's a recuperation period afterwards. While, in general, you've made some good suggestions on what MLB should do, you seem a little obsessed with this; and here's guessing it has something to do with the uniform.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

jesseyeric,  I'm amazed at how long it takes someone to investigate a situation like this, especially after the entire PED issue.  The questions right now should be, who if anyone is even looking into this?  And should Colon be allowed to play MLB when he isn't even willing to provide any information on this procedure he had?

If Colon had been cooperating all along I can see him being allowed to play but if he isn't?  Why is he still playing and where is this thing going "if anywhere" because I'm sure a great deal of people, including the medical world would like to know.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : jesseyeric,  I'm amazed at how long it takes someone to investigate a situation like this, especially after the entire PED issue.  The questions right now should be, who if anyone is even looking into this?  And should Colon be allowed to play MLB when he isn't even willing to provide any information on this procedure he had? If Colon had been cooperating all along I can see him being allowed to play but if he isn't?  Why is he still playing and where is this thing going "if anywhere" because I'm sure a great deal of people and the medical world would like to know.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Because you cannot pre-emptively suspend somebody based on a pending investigation; the MLBPA would be all over this, and in this case, they would have a point, since there are no bylaws in the CBA for this at the moment. On a related note, innocence until proven otherwise is the way our society has worked since the beginning of time, like it or not, fair or unfair.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : Because you cannot pre-emptively suspend somebody based on a pending investigation; the MLBPA would be all over this, and in this case, they would have a point, since there are no bylaws for this at the moment. Regardless, innocence until proven otherwise is the way our society has worked since the beginning of time, like it or not, fair or unfair.

I would think this could be overridden if a person refuses to cooperate.  No?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colon? : I would think this could be overridden if a person does not cooperate.  No?
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

That's wild speculation; you need precedence, bylaws and documentation, even in that case. ( Of course, athletes in general are often ahead of the curve vs the regulators.)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

One time I was talking with someone on how the Sox had signed Bartolo Colon and a girl nearby made up the corniest joke ever:
    "Does Bartolo Colon have his own line of colon?"
     In her defense, she knew it was corny.