Re: 'Coma Bashers Read This...
posted at 10/1/2011 3:12 PM EDT
In Response to Re: 'Coma Bashers Read This...
[QUOTE] I always love how critism of Francona's questionable decisions is "Bashing" !! I will say this, whoever the new manager is, if he pulls the same crap Tito did, he will be called on it too. I will wager on that !! The Funny thing that keeps running through my mind today is how many of the Supporter's even knew who Francona was in 2003? The guy was on Basball's scrapheap !! The Sox made Francona, Francona didn't make the Sox !!
Posted by ALaGatorAL[/QUOTE]
I'm not singling you out, but no manager is ever going to do every move any other individual would do. It's the nature of the business. managers try to mix it up to keep the other teams guessing. Most "bashers" here are almost always in hindsight. They bash Tito for taking out a starter too early, then the next game too late.
I have had serious philosophical differences with Tito over the years. I am not a Tito apologist. Among my issues are:
1) Fixation with L-R-L line-ups.
2) Loyalty to vets to the point that we dont have the best team on the field possible (ie Crawford should ride the bench vs LHPs.)
3) Locking players into line-up slots, then worse, when a player subs for that person, they bat in the same slot no matter how bad they are.
4) Not letting starters fo 120-130 pitches vs crucial opponents.
5) Jerking Wake around and hardly ever using top relievers in his games.
6) Changing his startegy at the end of the season and playoffs (ie not starting VTek) and always going with the best offesnive team.
7) Not paying enough attention to L-R splits or pitcher to batter splits.
8) Keeping insanely incapable 3rd base coaches in their positions more than once (again, the extreme loyalty issue).
9) Poor choice of pitching coaches.
However, complaining about in game moves after the fact is quite frankly a joke to me. I'm not saying he hasn't made mistakes. Every manager does.
Tell me who you think is the best in game manager, and then go to that team's blog sites and you'll read the same thing we read about Tito everyday.