COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED! (JK)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED! (JK)

LOL JK, but I do have something to say about todays game. Why does Francona continue to bring in Papelbon in non-save situations? His ERA is over 5 in those situations. Clearly his strategy isn't working. It's not like he completely blows up and gives away the game, but he is a flat out BAD pitcher in those situations. Francona has said in the past, if Papelbon is already warming up, and they take a 4 run lead he'll still put him in, but not a 5 run lead. Well, what happened today? It was a 5 run lead and he brought him in, and what happened, Pap turned it into an adventure. I know I'm nitpicking, but this has puzzled me for years. I love Francona, but his stubborness is his weakness sometimes I believe.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED!

Paps had not pitched since before the ASB..he needed to throw in a live game..Better to have him do it with a 5 run lead than a 2 right now..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED!

In Response to COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED!:
    LOL JK, but I do have something to say about todays game. Why does Francona continue to bring in Papelbon in non-save situations? His ERA is over 5 in those situations. Clearly his strategy in those situations isn't working. It's not like he completely blows up and gives away the game, but he is a flat out BAD pitcher in those situations. Francona has said in the past, if Papelbon is already warming up, and they take a 4 run lead he'll still put in Pap, but not a 5 run lead. Well, what happened today? It was a 5 run lead and he brought him in, and what happened, Pap turned it into an adventure. I know I'm nitpicking, but this has puzzled me for years. I love Francona, but his stubborness is his weakness sometimes I believe.
    Posted by b126962

Good move, b!

Pap is just setting up for a perfect playoff run. 

That way he gets to be the returning hero and dance like an Irish ....   :o)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re: COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED! (JK)

Besides Paps needing some work, I think Francona felt like this was an important game to win, and he didn't want to take any chances.  We already lost the opener to the Rays, the Yankees had already won their game, and our SP is in disarray right now.  The offense and Lackey overcame a rough first inning.  It was important to shut this one down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

In Response to Re: COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED! (JK):
    Besides Paps needing some work, I think Francona felt like this was an important game to win, and he didn't want to take any chances.  We already lost the opener to the Rays, the Yankees had already won their game, and our SP is in disarray right now.  The offense and Lackey overcame a rough first inning.  It was important to shut this one down.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

I agree but clearly Pap isn't the best option in these situations right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED! (JK) : I agree but clearly Pap isn't the best option in these situations right?
    Posted by b126962

Well Paps was already warmed up, and while he does tend to struggle more non-save situations, I'm sure Francona felt confident that he would not blow a 5-run lead.  I have no problem with Francona using Paps in today's game.

I'm just  thrilled that we beat the Rays with Shields pitching!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskjold. Show dskjold's posts

In Response to COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED! (JK):
    LOL JK, but I do have something to say about todays game. Why does Francona continue to bring in Papelbon in non-save situations? His ERA is over 5 in those situations. Clearly his strategy isn't working. It's not like he completely blows up and gives away the game, but he is a flat out BAD pitcher in those situations. Francona has said in the past, if Papelbon is already warming up, and they take a 4 run lead he'll still put him in, but not a 5 run lead. Well, what happened today? It was a 5 run lead and he brought him in, and what happened, Pap turned it into an adventure. I know I'm nitpicking, but this has puzzled me for years. I love Francona, but his stubborness is his weakness sometimes I believe.
    Posted by b126962

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskjold. Show dskjold's posts

Whoops, sorry.

Interesting point by Chris Singleton on ESPN today, just as Pap was coming in, but before he started pitching.  He said that very often closers coming in in non-save situations don't seem to have the same intensity and adrenaline.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

b126962,  He's been doing this for almost 8 yrs. now. The secret is not to believe Tito when Tito speaks. This is his "by the seat of my pants managerial style".If it feels good, I'm going for it. Forget what I said 2 weeks ago, all bets are off. Are you writing a book? Take that page out and make it a mystery. The end results justify the means. Did we win? If not, it's not my fault.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

blah blah blah.  The guy needed work, he got work.  You people are unreal.  There is absolutely no joy to be had according many of you.  How do get through the day?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

A Win.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

This is leading to a new stat...mliERA...Yes, you heard it here first, Manager's Late Inning Earned Run Average...Right up there with cERA...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In Response to Re: COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED! (JK) : Well Paps was already warmed up, and while he does tend to struggle more non-save situations, I'm sure Francona felt confident that he would not blow a 5-run lead.  I have no problem with Francona using Paps in today's game. I'm just  thrilled that we beat the Rays with Shields pitching!
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

I'm happy the Sox beat this career 4.00 ERA pitcher with 7 other losses under his belt already this season. In what may be his last season with the Rays it's little surprise to me the Guy is Fired up for his next big payday.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

blah blah blah.  The guy needed work, he got work.  You people are unreal.  There is absolutely no joy to be had according many of you.  How do get through the day?
    Posted by jimdavis

And in a day or two from now he will need rest and will not be available in a tight one because he has pitched two days in a row!!  Go Figure !!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Posted by RedSoxKimmi

"AN IMPORTANT GAME TO WIN" 
    Can you or anyone else tell me how Francona decides which games are important to win and which are not important to win???
    I realize it's after July 15th and maybe in his managerial genius mind, he feels it's time to start trying to win games. It won't be long before it's crunch time, and I for one am looking forward to the Sox bullpen being lights out during the final stretch of games. He judiciously held them back during games that weren't important to win so that he can use them to try to win the upcoming important games.
    Lackey doesn't hide his feelings. It's obvious that he doesn't like Francona's timing when replacing pitchers. Neither do many of us fans that know how poorly Francona's judgement is with regard to when to replace or stick with a pitcher. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

In Response to Re: COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED! (JK) : "AN IMPORTANT GAME TO WIN"  Can you or anyone else tell me how Francona decides which games are important to win and which are not important to win??? I realize it's after July 15th and maybe in his managerial genius mind, he feels it's time to start trying to win games. It won't be long before it's crunch time, and I for one am looking forward to the Sox bullpen being lights out during the final stretch of games. He judiciously held them back during games that weren't important to win so that he can use them to try to win the upcoming important games. Lackey doesn't hide his feelings. It's obvious that he doesn't like Francona's timing when replacing pitchers. Neither do many of us fans that know how poorly Francona's judgement is with regard to when to replace or stick with a pitcher. 
    Posted by BOSOX1941

wow....you continue to amaze me with all your dumb asts anti tito posts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED! (JK) : "AN IMPORTANT GAME TO WIN"  Can you or anyone else tell me how Francona decides which games are important to win and which are not important to win??? I realize it's after July 15th and maybe in his managerial genius mind, he feels it's time to start trying to win games. It won't be long before it's crunch time, and I for one am looking forward to the Sox bullpen being lights out during the final stretch of games. He judiciously held them back during games that weren't important to win so that he can use them to try to win the upcoming important games. Lackey doesn't hide his feelings. It's obvious that he doesn't like Francona's timing when replacing pitchers. Neither do many of us fans that know how poorly Francona's judgement is with regard to when to replace or stick with a pitcher. 
    Posted by BOSOX1941

LOL, I had a feeling someone would bring up the "important game to win" comment, saying that they are all important. 

Of course you want to win every game possible, but as we all know, the season is a marathon, and it must be managed as such.  Francona has to weigh the short term effects against the long term effects when making a decision, something that many fans don't seem to understand.

If Paps had pitched the previous 2 days, you don't bring him into the game even though the game was still an important one to win.  The risk in that move outweighs the benefit.  However, with Paps needing some work anyway, there really was no risk in bringing him in.  Really a no brainer if you think about it.

As far as it being obvious that Lackey doesn't like Francona's timing when replacing pitchers, Lackey did the exact same thing to Scioscia a few years back.  I guess the mighty Scioscia doesn't know when to replace pitchers either.

For the record, unlike Francona's move of bringing in Williams, who got the job done and kept the lead intact, Scioscia's move of removing Lackey in the aforementioned game did not.  The BP imploded.  And Lackey had pitched brilliantly in that game, I might add. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED! (JK) : LOL, I had a feeling someone would bring up the "important game to win" comment, saying that they are all important.  Of course you want to win every game possible, but as we all know, the season is a marathon, and it must be managed as such.  Francona has to weigh the short term effects against the long term effects when making a decision, something that many fans don't seem to understand. If Paps had pitched the previous 2 days, you don't bring him into the game even though the game was still an important one to win.  The risk in that move outweighs the benefit.  However, with Paps needing some work anyway, there really was no risk in bringing him in.  Really a no brainer if you think about it. As far as it being obvious that Lackey doesn't like Francona's timing when replacing pitchers, Lackey did the exact same thing to Scioscia a few years back.  I guess the mighty Scioscia doesn't know when to replace pitchers either. For the record, unlike Francona's move of bringing in Williams, who got the job done and kept the lead intact, Scioscia's move of removing Lackey in the aforementioned game did not.  The BP imploded.  And Lackey had pitched brilliantly in that game, I might add. 
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

I know Francona looks at the long term, but NO future game is more important then the current game. I realize it's very important to keep an eye on the upcoming schedule, but no where near as important as winning this game! IMO, he basically forfeits games so that he will be prepared for a unknown game in the future! Just how I see his managing style.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Any manager who plays every game as though everything is on the line is foolish.  Some games are clearly more winnable than others. 

I'm surprised Bosox 1941 didn't chime in and agree with Lackey that he should have stayed in the game with two on and two out in the 6th. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED! (JK) : but NO future game is more important then the current game. 
    Posted by BOSOX1941

I don't think it's a matter of sacrificing the current game for a future game.  I don't think he is necessarily sacrificing the current game.  He is still trying to win, he is just not going to do so at the risk of future games. 

And I don't think it's a 1 to 1 trade off either.  A move he makes today might result in losing today's game, but I think it's with the intent of winning many games in the future, not just one. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Posted by BOSOX1941

I don't get it. All games are important to win. Those few 'unimportant' games that end with a loss may come back to bite Tito's behind come October. Pre game objective: win. He did a tremendous job with a totally devastated team last year and the Sox, in my opinion, won more games than anyone expected. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED! (JK) : I don't get it. All games are important to win. Those few 'unimportant' games that end with a loss may come back to bite Tito's behind come October. Pre game objective: win. He did a tremendous job with a totally devastated team last year and the Sox, in my opinion, won more games than anyone expected. 
    Posted by Bralon

It's all about striking a balance between trying to win tonight's game and keeping yourself in shape for the whole season.  I mean if tonight's game was the be-all and end-all, you might use Bard for 2 innings and Papelbon for 2 innings.  Which would probably help you win tonight's game, but then Bard and Papelbon might not be able to pitch the next 2 games. 

Some people criticize Francona for not trying hard enough to win every game, but the fact is that all MLB managers have to strike a balance like this.  And there's no simple formula for it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED! (JK) : I don't get it. All games are important to win. Those few 'unimportant' games that end with a loss may come back to bite Tito's behind come October. Pre game objective: win. He did a tremendous job with a totally devastated team last year and the Sox, in my opinion, won more games than anyone expected. 
    Posted by Bralon

I try to understand how he did a tremendous job last year....They had injuries, he put reserves in the lineup.....you and I could do that.  He constantly mismanages the pitching staff. He rests players when they're hot. He doesn't try any strategies to create needed runs in close games. What did you see that was tremendous? He played the players that were healthy in place of injured players.
    I think all of us agree that he's not a great in-game manager. He makes more than a few questionable moves constantly. I'd like someone, anyone, to make a point of documenting each and every time he makes a move or decision that has a positive affect on the outcome of a close game. I'm talking about a move or decision that actually changed a potential loss into a win. I'm talking about a move or decision that high school or college coaches wouldn't have the knowledge to make.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED! (JK):
    Posted by b126962

Do you know baseball? At the top of the 9th, it was a 3 run game and he was warming up already. The Red Sox got 2 in the top of the 9th so there was no point in not bringing  him in. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: COMA NEEDS TO BE FIRED! (JK) : I know Francona looks at the long term, but NO future game is more important then the current game. I realize it's very important to keep an eye on the upcoming schedule, but no where near as important as winning this game! IMO, he basically forfeits games so that he will be prepared for a unknown game in the future! Just how I see his managing style.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

Agreed. Win today! Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Sections
Shortcuts