Comcast Sports: Sox decide against exercising option on Francona contract.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Comcast Sports: Francona Released

I do hope if Tito does leave he throws every one of those bastards that caused problems under the bus. I want names!

I will always believe Tito had the guys best intrests at heart, and some of them really spat on him this year. Shame on those that did.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think the fact that Tito let the media in on the Toronto story was proof that he was done.  He never gives the media insight on clubhouse issues, or at least not in detail.  He always defends his players to the death.  I think he knew he was leaving and he's not happy with the culture of the current team.  The Sox and media can spin it any way they want, but Francona's words tell me all I need to know.  Boston has worn him out, and he doesn't like what he's seeing in the clubhouse. 

Good luck to Tito.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Burrito, got to start with pitching. You got pitchers on their off days drinking. Makes sense why Beckett and Lackey were putting on the poundage during the season. Why ERA's were horrendous during the month of September. This team minus a couple of players let down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lmitaly. Show lmitaly's posts

I will always respect and appreciate the job that Terry did and he will surely be missed by me.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Re: Francona Fired

In Response to Re: Francona Fired:
    weei just reported the meeting was @ 10.am but yeah other sources are using the word fired when it's his option that is not being picked up personally I think he's quitting
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Spot on, Zac. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Francona managed the greatest comeback in the history of sports.  This year's collapse was due his being compromised by his relationships with players from both championship teams.  How could he not crack down on overweight players like Beckett and Lester because of this. 
    He should not have been fired but I am sure he realized how difficult corralling this team of older, overpaid and out of shape players.  He is a happier man today.

I thank him for his work here and I am not sure we could have won in 2004 without him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

It is too bad Francona was released and taking all the heat for their demise. He did make some very poor manager decisions this final month, but overall, the players need to take ownership of being lazy, overweight and not hungry enough and playing so poorly.  And I am not sure a new mananger will be the answer if they don't change this team. Players need to go. Fact. Or this team will suffer again.
    Posted by antiqueman1

You're being a gentleman sir, and that speaks well of you.

Terry had a look on his face, in the last few games I got to watch, that was not the usual dispassionate, cool calm expression that he most often had.

There was a haunting underpinning of things developing beyond his control.  Not like he was a raving lunatic, but he sure did not seem comfortable.  His eyes were not settled or sure.

It's too bad.  For so long, he was the ultimate players' manager, club house juggler ... I guess a few things went too far this year.

I wonder if Curt Young ever connected.  Francona and Farrell seemed to be joined at the hip.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Comcast Sports: Francona Released:
    Francona managed the greatest comeback in the history of sports.  This year's collapse was due his being compromised by his relationships with players from both championship teams.  How could he not crack down on overweight players like Beckett and Lester because of this.  He should not have been fired but I am sure he realized how difficult corralling this team of older, overpaid and out of shape players.  He is a happier man today. I thank him for his work here and I am not sure we could have won in 2004 without him.
    Posted by concord27

Neighbor, I am VERY sure we would not have won without him.  Schilling came because he was here.  No Tito, no Curt .... no WS ....

(I say neighbor in a nastalgic sense ... lived east of Concord, NH for 10 years  ...  If you mean Mass, then northeast for 10 years ...)  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I do hope if Tito does leave he throws every one of those bastards that caused problems under the bus. I want names! I will always believe Tito had the guys best intrests at heart, and some of them really spat on him this year. Shame on those that did.
    Posted by BurritoT

Agreed; they need to hire a Buck Showalter type (or maybe a little milder rendition), or the prima donna lunatics shall run the asylum next yr as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Re: Comcast Sports: Sox decide against excercising option on Francona contract.

John Henry is a rich, entitled, moron.
    Look at that pap he wrote yesterday.
    Like he should have his nose in baseball operations?
    What are his qualifications?
    Does Bob Kraft do anything for the Patriots, other than encourage his team and coach?
    I wish Tito well. He is a good man, and will get hired very soon.
    FIRE EPSTEIN!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

"Fired" is because it's upper management giving the story to NECN -- not Tito.

He's a classy guy.  He'll keep him mouth shut.

But I'd love to see his autobiography when it comes out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Comcast Sports: Sox decide against excercising option on Francona contract.:
    "Fired" is because it's upper management giving the story to NECN -- not Tito. He's a classy guy.  He'll keep him mouth shut. But I'd love to see his autobiography when it comes out.
    Posted by Ergoetal

or the media....better story. for all those who haven't read Franonas book Red Sox Rule, it's well worth it. growing up baseball as a son of a player, to one himself, his years as manager in the minor leagues and michael jordan, the hiring process to be named manager of the Red Sox over joe madden, to the World Championships.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

He is a free agent isn't he? He cannot be fired. He was told he would not be re-signed. No?
    Posted by BurritoT

Yes, his options were not picked up. He is not fired. Henry made the decision.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

I will be happy to go on record and say that 1) the Sox will be more fun to watch next year under a new manager, and 2) they will produce a better record than they did the last two years. If either one of these is not true at this time next year, please feel free to post that I was wrong.
    Posted by pschuller

I agree with you. Francona had basically lost control of his team and their respect.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Sounded like the "25 players/25 cabs" atmosphere of the 70's Sox teams

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

Tito was a class act. Hard to believe theo gets to stay with the signings he made.
    Posted by majormathew

I agree. Theo needs to go as well. Then Curt Young and some of the coaches.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

No Tito to kick around anymore.

I wish we knew who the new manager was going to be, so the threads bashing him could start.

I heard from a reliable source, John Henry is reading this forum to find a new manager, preferably one with 20/20 hindsight.

Maybe it is time for him to go, too bad you can't fire players.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

For all the Francoma A zz kissers. He got what he deserved. This team vastly underacheived, I'm not saying this was entirely Tito's fault but as the manager he has to bare the responsiblity as does Theo. I will not miss watching Tito Schlep his way to another decision which is made two batters too late! Was he a cordial guy? I don't know him well enough to say one way or another what kind of guy he really is. His ingame managerial skills are what cost him his job. I do wish him luck and I hope he finds another job.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Comcast Sports: Sox decide against excercising option on Francona contract.:
    For all the Francoma A zz kissers. He got what he deserved. This team vastly underacheived, I'm not saying this was entirely Tito's fault but as the manager he has to bare the responsiblity as does Theo. I will not miss watching Tito Schlep his way to another decision which is made two batters too late! Was he a cordial guy? I don't know him well enough to say one way or another what kind of guy he really is. His ingame managerial skills are what cost him his job. I do wish him luck and I hope he finds another job.
    Posted by sportsbozo1

I agree, he did get what he deserves ... getting the hell out of here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Listen, Tito is not a bad guy and yes, he was at the helm for two titles, and yes, perhaps Schilling came because of him, etc. etc. None of that speaks to whether his time had come--nothing lasts forever--and it seems to me that the this year's failure to even make the playoffs is evidence enough that Tito's time had come.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from evansisthereal24. Show evansisthereal24's posts

Re: Comcast Sports: Sox decide against exercising option on Francona contract.

haha  Any chance we talk Torre outta retirement?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Re: Comcast Sports: Sox decide against exercising option on Francona contract.

Actually Sean McAdam is reporting that Tito is not out, and there will be no decision for a couple of days.
    So much for "sources".
    What a mess!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: Francona Fired : Doesn't that depend on one small detail? Namely, who they hire?
    Posted by LloydDobler

If they don't hire a manager, they will have a better record. They just made the best decision they've made since before he was hired. They just instantly improved their record in the standings next year by 8 to 12 games, minimum.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Tito will be unemployed for about 10 minutes. Wherever he lands will instantly become my second-favorite team.
    Posted by LloydDobler

It's been reported that Dr. Phil is interested in Francona as his assistant.

Sections
Shortcuts