Coming back to earth

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Coming back to earth

First off, this isnt some sort of negative take on things, just a realistic one.

We all knew Jose Iglesias would start to see his numbers balance out, or "come back to earth". The question was, just how hard of a landing would it be? Well here are his numbers for the month of July...

Came into July with a .409BA .455OBP .530SLG .985OPS.

BA .217 OBP .267 SLG .232 OPS .499 BAbip .254

1 XBH  11K 2BB

Both BA and OBP have dropped 70pts and over 100pts for SLG.

Hes at .343BA .391OBP .428SLG .819OPS with 6 games left in the month of July.

Any guesses where he ends up at?

I say about 260BA 330OBP and 390 SLG., which Ill gladly take for an MLB SS with solid D. But that also means I think his production is going to be pretty mediocre the rest of the way. I hope Im wrong because we can use all the offense we can get, but I dont think hes made it all the way down yet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Coming back to earth

.280 / .340 / .390

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

.280 / .340 / .390

I think most would/should realistically be around these kind of numbers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

agreed.  i am fearful the BA will be closer to your's but i am trying to be optimistic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I guess My bigger point in all this is that this team can guarentee that they will not see close to that kind of production from him. The offense will have to make up for it somewhere else. Thats a lot of offense that will be missing from this lineup.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

my gut says Ells (contract push), Hawaiian (if he stays healthy), Napoli trending up....

can drew just heat up a little bit?  i have been waiting patiently....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

THose of us in the know, knew he was heading back here eventually.

Still I'd like to see what all of those people salivating over him have to say know.  Not the ones who just like him because I like him and would love to have him start at shortstop myself.  No, I'm talking about those who would come in here and say....Looks like another "lucky" hit.  Where are those people? the ones who talked down us for using his GB% and his BABIP etc etc. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

FWIW to add to the record.  Before this year, I stated that I thougth Iglesias would improve offensively and be able to hit, little believed that.  I always thought the bar was set a little lower for him because of his superior defense and that his offensive game would take longer to develop because the Sox rushed him (they REALLY rushed him throught the minors).  I was always excited to see Iggy play so well but I tried warning others here that it wouldn't last. 

I said it before, and I'll say it again.  The case of Jose Iglesias starting is has been and always will be his defense.  If he can bat .250 every year then I'd be happy with him in the 9 hole....if we get more than that then that is a bonus.  With what we've seen this year it is easy to be optimistic that he will continue to get better at the plate.....but it was ridiculous luck that accounted for a lot of his success.  He still has a .400 BABIP and while his line drive rate is up a 18% LD rate and a 55% GB rate isn't exactly hard evidence that a guy can maintain such a high BABIP.  Of course his BABIP is a season total and is sure to be lower the past month. 

Regardless we are getting more out of him than we ever would have figured thisyear....and that is a good thing. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/iglesias-and-his-bat/100/6697390

I also said that if that id how he hits, he is more than worth it with his defense.    I mean, did you see that short hop grounder by Wil Myers last night?  He made that play look easier than anyone I have ever seen make it…

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Still I'd like to see what all of those people salivating over him have to say know.  Not the ones who just like him because I like him and would love to have him start at shortstop myself.  No, I'm talking about those who would come in here and say....Looks like another "lucky" hit.  Where are those people? the ones who talked down us for using his GB% and his BABIP etc etc. 

I'd be willing to bet that this forum has more pet rocks per capita than anywhere on the planet.

Dude makes a few outs, and Pumpsie writes him off.

Dude gets a crazy amount of IF hits and he's a star.

I was always fairly optimistic and thought he'd break in at about .600+, and after a few years maybe .660+.  As well as he has hit, I'm thinking he might even be a .700 hitter.  For a GG SS, that's excellent.  I just don't think he'll ever climb out of the bottom of the lineup, nor do I care.

I'm not sure everyone in here has the capacity to extrapolate from the BABIP.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

He's still had some loud outs and puts the ball in play 90% of the time.

hes trying to yank everything instead of driving the ball, he's actually better when he to put it in play.

"You don't save a pitcher for tomorrow.  Tomorrow it may rain."  ~ Leo Durocher

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

my gut says Ells (contract push), Hawaiian (if he stays healthy), Napoli trending up....

can drew just heat up a little bit?  i have been waiting patiently....

Naps is def trending the right way, Vic is usually pretty solid provided hes healthy and Drew went on one tear for a month (4/22-5/26 .985OPS) and was starting to heat up again when he got a hammy. Id bet that he goes on another tear.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Yes, he's coming back to earth, but it is a fact that his hitting this year is way, way, way better than last year, and you can see it in his approach at the plate.  A lot more confident, and he usually makes contact.  I think he can even improve once he finds his level for this year.  Also, Iglesias himself has to be ecstatic that he is on the big club to stay and even has a shot at ROY. 

As I think someone else has already noted, the problem right now is the painful drop while he finds his right level.  But guess what?  He's already been batting 9th for most of the season. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Iggy is still in the stratosphere on defense. At SS, that is more important than offense.

I have said I'd be happy with Iggy at SS even with a .225 BA and .280 OBP. Anything more would be a bonus. I never said I expected him to hit .225, but I did not expect higher than .280.

I've wanted Iggy as our SS since March 2012. It still baffles me to see him at 3B, but Drew does seem like the better option vs RHPs than WMB, Snyder, or Holt.

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Iggy is still in the stratosphere on defense. At SS, that is more important than offense.

I have said I'd be happy with Iggy at SS even with a .225 BA and .280 OBP. Anything more would be a bonus. I never said I expected him to hit .225, but I did not expect higher than .280.

I've wanted Iggy as our SS since March 2012. It still baffles me to see him at 3B, but Drew does seem like the better option vs RHPs than WMB, Snyder, or Holt.

Sox4ever

Considering the fact that Iglesias was brutal offensively in 2012, then it probably wasn't a good idea to put him in the line-up at ANY POINT.  You keep posting this like you were "right" for some reason.   Iglesias worked out this last off season with Pedroia in AZ and made some improvements, but they signed Drew for a reason.  He STILL hasn't proven that he's a full time, major league shortstop, so stop patting yourself on the back, Moon.  This kid has proved nothing and your "5th ranked Sox prospect heading into this season" (Boegarts) could easily be the starting SS next year.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

First off, this isnt some sort of negative take on things, just a realistic one.

We all knew Jose Iglesias would start to see his numbers balance out, or "come back to earth". The question was, just how hard of a landing would it be? Well here are his numbers for the month of July...

1 XBH  11K 2BB

I say about 260BA 330OBP and 390 SLG., which Ill gladly take for an MLB SS with solid D. But that also means I think his production is going to be pretty mediocre the rest of the way. I hope Im wrong because we can use all the offense we can get, but I dont think hes made it all the way down yet.

Well in the last 11 games he has made his hits count more than some other players.  In the last 11 games he has 5 rbi's.  Although this is not a lot it is 5 more than ortiz has in the same number of games.

There you have it folks.

At exactly 10:07 CST on July 26, jackbu convinced himself Jose Iglesias is a better run producer than David Ortiz...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I'd be willing to bet that this forum has more pet rocks per capita than anywhere on the planet.

Dude makes a few outs, and Pumpsie writes him off.

Dude gets a crazy amount of IF hits and he's a star.

I was always fairly optimistic and thought he'd break in at about .600+, and after a few years maybe .660+.  As well as he has hit, I'm thinking he might even be a .700 hitter.  For a GG SS, that's excellent.  I just don't think he'll ever climb out of the bottom of the lineup, nor do I care.

I'm not sure everyone in here has the capacity to extrapolate from the BABIP.

You are still in the Twilight Zone Joe. Look at our pitching! How do you really expect our pitching to be good enough to make any kind of run in the playoffs, if we make them? As I said before the season started, Lester would improve a  little, and Breakholtz would spend massive amounts of time on the DL. Guess what: thats has come to pass! While we just might bash our way into the playoffs, we will not go far as currently constructed. Good pitching wins rings. Period.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

1 XBH  11K 2BB

Well in the last 11 games he has made his hits count more than some other players.  In the last 11 games he has 5 rbi's.  Although this is not a lot it is 5 more than ortiz has in the same number of games.

any chance to take a shot at papi...seriously, its quite sad you feel the need to do this.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Iggy is playing out of position. He is a SS not a 3rb.  Iggy ends up around 230/40 if they move him back to his position. If not and they keep him at 3rd he's back on the minors within a month.   

Sections
Shortcuts