Coming back to earth

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Coming back to earth

It's really more like a week-and-a-half slump (allowing for the all-star break) for Iglesias, given that as recently as July 12th he was still hitting .300/.370/.325 for the month (which I guess is coming down to earth when you were hitting .400), but has hit just .094 with a .188 OPS since. Even very good hitters will go through an ugly stretch like that over a SSS. Some regression in Iggy's numbers was definitely coming, but I'm hopeful he won't be as bad as he's looked during the past couple of weeks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

First off, this isnt some sort of negative take on things, just a realistic one.

We all knew Jose Iglesias would start to see his numbers balance out, or "come back to earth". The question was, just how hard of a landing would it be? Well here are his numbers for the month of July...

Came into July with a .409BA .455OBP .530SLG .985OPS.

BA .217 OBP .267 SLG .232 OPS .499 BAbip .254

1 XBH  11K 2BB

Both BA and OBP have dropped 70pts and over 100pts for SLG.

Hes at .343BA .391OBP .428SLG .819OPS with 6 games left in the month of July.

Any guesses where he ends up at?

I say about 260BA 330OBP and 390 SLG., which Ill gladly take for an MLB SS with solid D. But that also means I think his production is going to be pretty mediocre the rest of the way. I hope Im wrong because we can use all the offense we can get, but I dont think hes made it all the way down yet.

Well in the last 11 games he has made his hits count more than some other players.  In the last 11 games he has 5 rbi's.  Although this is not a lot it is 5 more than ortiz has in the same number of games.

any chance to take a shot at papi...seriously, its quite sad you feel the need to do this.

how is that a shot?  Sorry if that stat I posted rattled your fragile cage.  You are taking a huge shot at Iggy and I just reminded you that he has 5 more RBI's than Ortiz in the last 11 games. 

Like I said, some don't like realistic. 

You couldnt rattle my cage JB. Dont give yourself that much credit.

Im not taking any shot at Iggy. I even stated that in my OP. I gave him credit when he did well and Im not bashing him, unlike some here, when hes doing terrible at the plate. Its called being realistic without bashing a player. Hes hitting under .500OPS for July...In case you dont know, thats pretty bad. Papi is at just under 1.000OPS for July. So whos been more valuable overall? RBI production relys on opportunity set by other players. You use papi to compare because its obvious to everyone that you dont like him for some reason and want to try and desperatly make him look bad. Your not fooling anyone.

I said I believe Iggy could be a .260BA 320-330OBP and .390SLG...How is that taking a huge shot at him?

Obviously your part of the "some people" that dont like realistic if you think Im taking a "huge shot" at Iggy. Im probably one of the more realistic and level-headed posters on this board.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

First off, this isnt some sort of negative take on things, just a realistic one.

We all knew Jose Iglesias would start to see his numbers balance out, or "come back to earth". The question was, just how hard of a landing would it be? Well here are his numbers for the month of July...

Came into July with a .409BA .455OBP .530SLG .985OPS.

BA .217 OBP .267 SLG .232 OPS .499 BAbip .254

1 XBH  11K 2BB

Both BA and OBP have dropped 70pts and over 100pts for SLG.

Hes at .343BA .391OBP .428SLG .819OPS with 6 games left in the month of July.

Any guesses where he ends up at?

I say about 260BA 330OBP and 390 SLG., which Ill gladly take for an MLB SS with solid D. But that also means I think his production is going to be pretty mediocre the rest of the way. I hope Im wrong because we can use all the offense we can get, but I dont think hes made it all the way down yet.

Well in the last 11 games he has made his hits count more than some other players.  In the last 11 games he has 5 rbi's.  Although this is not a lot it is 5 more than ortiz has in the same number of games.

any chance to take a shot at papi...seriously, its quite sad you feel the need to do this.

how is that a shot?  Sorry if that stat I posted rattled your fragile cage.  You are taking a huge shot at Iggy and I just reminded you that he has 5 more RBI's than Ortiz in the last 11 games. 

Like I said, some don't like realistic. 

Its a shot because this is an Iglesiss, and you could not resist using it to comment on Ortiz' lavk of production over a tiny sample.

By the way, RBI are not solely a funvtion og clutch hittinh.  Any mention of RISP in that stat?  Not that all RISP are dwual...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

It's really more like a week-and-a-half slump (allowing for the all-star break) for Iglesias, given that as recently as July 12th he was still hitting .300/.370/.325 for the month (which I guess is coming down to earth when you were hitting .400), but has hit just .094 with a .188 OPS since. Even very good hitters will go through an ugly stretch like that over a SSS. Some regression in Iggy's numbers was definitely coming, but I'm hopeful he won't be as bad as he's looked during the past couple of weeks.

The problem is not all slumps are created equal, and Iglesias is he's still very un-disciplined at the plate.  When a pitch gets enough of the plate, his hand-eye co-ordination can help him do something with it, but over the past ten games, it's not just his BA that's .094 - his OBP is the same, meaning he's basically an automatic out.  Contrast that with Jackie Bradley Jr - he was slumping terribly to start the season, but even at his worst, there was a 26% chance he'd reach base.  

Right now we need to jump-start the offense - we're facing a right-hander tonight; we should field the best offensive team we can, even if we sacrifice some defense.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

You are still in the Twilight Zone Joe. Look at our pitching! How do you really expect our pitching to be good enough to make any kind of run in the playoffs, if we make them? As I said before the season started, Lester would improve a  little, and Breakholtz would spend massive amounts of time on the DL. Guess what: thats has come to pass! While we just might bash our way into the playoffs, we will not go far as currently constructed. Good pitching wins rings. Period.

Pumpsie, My comment was entirely 100% about Iglesias.

Seriously, show me anything in my post that mentioned anything about the playoffs or our pitching.  Talk about Twilight Zone.