Coming from nowhere

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Coming from nowhere

In Response to Re: Coming from nowhere:
    [QUOTE]Alibi, if they fired the manager, you might have gotten that "attitude, desire, and believing." But you are as stubborn as the organization thinking it would magically change the atmosphere of the clubhouse/dugout. Again, not about BV's ability, it's about the team not responding to him.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

It's both.  He isn't the worst tactician in BB, but also nothing special.  But it is also more than the fact that the players don't respond to him.  It is the fact that he is a walking distraction.  Almost like that mental disease where you can't control what comes out of your mouth.  Just as a small sampling of things that didn't need to be said-

Bard is not throwing enough changeups
    Doubront has no out pitch
    Shoppach complained about not enough playing time
    Somebody snitched on me about Middlebrooks.
    Buchholz refused to change his schedule
    Crawford's elbow is bothering him.
    Alcohol is banned from the clubhouse, maybe, kind of, sometimes...

And it goes on and on.  The players aren't allowed to focus.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The young Seattle Mariners are now a half game behind the Red Sox in the Wild Card standings after matching the Sox season win total with their 59th victory Monday evening.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_08_20_clemlb_seamlb_1&mode=box&partnerId=LR_box

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coming from nowhere : It's both.  He isn't the worst tactician in BB, but also nothing special.  But it is also more than the fact that the players don't respond to him.  It is the fact that he is a walking distraction.  Almost like that mental disease where you can't control what comes out of your mouth.  Just as a small sampling of things that didn't need to be said- Bard is not throwing enough changeups Doubront has no out pitch Shoppach complained about not enough playing time Somebody snitched on me about Middlebrooks. Buchholz refused to change his schedule Crawford's elbow is bothering him. Alcohol is banned from the clubhouse, maybe, kind of, sometimes... And it goes on and on.  The players aren't allowed to focus.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    If statements like these disturb the focus of ML ballplayers, they aren't, in the full sense of the term, ML ballplayers. 
    Now, specifically, who hasn't been able to focus because of BV's remarks? Evidence, please. See Ortiz's remarks.
    Why were they not able to focus last September -- talk about a lack of focus -- when the manager they all allegedly loved was in the dugout and backing them up at every turn? That team went 7 and 20 -- without the devastating injuries suffered by this year's. An injury will take you out of focus in a hurry, no matter what the manager says or doesn't say. 
    Joe, there are problem here with history and logic -- and, of course, the animus that has burned in your brain ( or tummy ) since Day One of BV's tenure. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

So are the records of KC and Seattle a testement to how hot the Sox could get or how bad they have been?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

hill 55, I hate to say it but if the Royals and the M's pass the Sox the players who care won't be happy but Lackey, Beckett, and Ells will care less.
    There was an interesting interview with V last week about what motivates high priced players.

The great ones it doesn't matter how much they make--they have the drive inside and always will. The ones that get the big contract but don't have the desire will be contented with the big contract--it's up to  management to determine, by knowing the players, which one will continue to pursuit greatness; give them the deals and let the rest walk.

So Ben as hard an off season this will be--and it will be difficult if you do your job, meet with these three guys and you may find none are willing to pursuit greatness--cut the losses and move on---vow to know every player well before ever offering big contracts.

Even Cody--he's probably due for a big raise and a multi year. He wants to be near family on the West Coast--not as big a must have if he was willing to bring everyone East. Nice guy, good t'mate but look to trade him at waiver to get something.

Salty--his skin is too thin for Boston and he doesn't have the stamina to produce for beyond 162. Great kid, big heart, wants to be great--he's not the guy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Ali this team coming from nowhere would be truly miraculous given all its flaws and problems. That said, thanks for the reminder, as you point out anything is possible and it's a point someone should say from time to time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]hill 55, I hate to say it but if the Royals and the M's pass the Sox the players who care won't be happy but Lackey, Beckett, and Ells will care less. There was an interesting interview with V last week about what motivates high priced players. The great ones it doesn't matter how much they make--they have the drive inside and always will. The ones that get the big contract but don't have the desire will be contented with the big contract--it's up to  management to determine, by knowing the players, which one will continue to pursuit greatness; give them the deals and let the rest walk. So Ben as hard an off season this will be--and it will be difficult if you do your job, meet with these three guys and you may find none are willing to pursuit greatness--cut the losses and move on---vow to know every player well before ever offering big contracts. Even Cody--he's probably due for a big raise and a multi year. He wants to be near family on the West Coast--not as big a must have if he was willing to bring everyone East. Nice guy, good t'mate but look to trade him at waiver to get something. Salty--his skin is too thin for Boston and he doesn't have the stamina to produce for beyond 162. Great kid, big heart, wants to be great--he's not the guy.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

I can understand the dislike for Lackey, considering his performnce last year and his on-field antics.

But, I don't question the guy's will to compete. It would've been much easier for him to shut it down in the middle of the season last year.
    But, he pitched through an elbow injury that has side-lined a lot of other pitchers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

WHAT, WANTING THE TEAM TO WIN IS MY FAULT. SEEING WHAT IS A TERRIBLE DYSFUNCTIONAL SITUATION MITIGATED BY THE MANAGER'S CONSTANT MISQUOTES...HIS OWN TERRIBLE DECISION MAKING IN LINEUPS, NOT EVEN USING HIS BEST 9 WHEN HE HAD THE CHANCE....If that makes me obsessed with wanting him fired for the best of the situation, then so be it. This guy is a cancer, and the only way you can rid the team of the cancer is cut it out completely. All it means is hiring a manager that isn't going to run his mouth and is actually going to communicate with this coaching staff...7,000 candidates out there that can accomplish that goal. 10 years removed from MLB, BV is a joke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]WHAT, WANTING THE TEAM TO WIN IS MY FAULT. SEEING WHAT IS A TERRIBLE DYSFUNCTIONAL SITUATION MITIGATED BY THE MANAGER'S CONSTANT MISQUOTES...HIS OWN TERRIBLE DECISION MAKING IN LINEUPS, NOT EVEN USING HIS BEST 9 WHEN HE HAD THE CHANCE....If that makes me obsessed with wanting him fired for the best of the situation, then so be it. This guy is a cancer, and the only way you can rid the team of the cancer is cut it out completely. All it means is hiring a manager that isn't going to run his mouth and is actually going to communicate with this coaching staff...7,000 candidates out there that can accomplish that goal. 10 years removed from MLB, BV is a joke.

I agree that BV is making a bad situation worse.
    He never should've been hired in the first place.

But, now that he's here, I think firing him now would send the wrong message to the players that have been complaining about him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

so, let's worry about the message rather than the Ws and Ls. That is part of the problem in itself. I already gave examples of teams that fired leaders mid-season and even late season that produced excellent results--but it's the Red Sox, a team so dysfunctional that only the Manager seems to have protection from failure, but everyone else is to blame. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Seattle has been bad for a very long time. Very true.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]so, let's worry about the message rather than the Ws and Ls. That is part of the problem in itself. I already gave examples of teams that fired leaders mid-season and even late season that produced excellent results--but it's the Red Sox, a team so dysfunctional that only the Manager seems to have protection from failure, but everyone else is to blame. 

I just think this team is in such bad shape, from top to bottom, that it won't make things better and very well could make things worse ofor next year. That's all.

I hope BV is fired in the off season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I would rather they shoot the dice now. Well, a month ago, but now it's almost useless. It would hysterical though if they did a 10-game win streak under say Jerry Royster. I would be a very happy camper. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]so, let's worry about the message rather than the Ws and Ls. That is part of the problem in itself. I already gave examples of teams that fired leaders mid-season and even late season that produced excellent results--but it's the Red Sox, a team so dysfunctional that only the Manager seems to have protection from failure, but everyone else is to blame. 

Its too late to worry about W's and L's; its WOULD send the wrong message to the players. As for Valentine being the wrong person, I disagree. He deserved a chance. Furthermore, I don't remember there being any outstanding candidates available at the time he was hired. Valentine is an experienced manager with a history of some degree of success in his career. He has not done a bang up job, but to say that he didn't deserve a shot is wrong.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

.510 win percentage...very successful..not

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE].510 win percentage...very successful..not

He won an NL pennant and managed teams that won 97 and 94 games. No, he is not the most successful guy out there, but as I said, he has had some success. Who would you have preferred, specifically?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]hill 55, I hate to say it but if the Royals and the M's pass the Sox the players who care won't be happy but Lackey, Beckett, and Ells will care less. There was an interesting interview with V last week about what motivates high priced players. The great ones it doesn't matter how much they make--they have the drive inside and always will. The ones that get the big contract but don't have the desire will be contented with the big contract--it's up to  management to determine, by knowing the players, which one will continue to pursuit greatness; give them the deals and let the rest walk. So Ben as hard an off season this will be--and it will be difficult if you do your job, meet with these three guys and you may find none are willing to pursuit greatness--cut the losses and move on---vow to know every player well before ever offering big contracts. Even Cody--he's probably due for a big raise and a multi year. He wants to be near family on the West Coast--not as big a must have if he was willing to bring everyone East. Nice guy, good t'mate but look to trade him at waiver to get something. Salty--his skin is too thin for Boston and he doesn't have the stamina to produce for beyond 162. Great kid, big heart, wants to be great--he's not the guy.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]
    A guy with a "big heart" has "thin skin"? He played the day after that skin required several stitches. The phrase "thin skin" normally means overly-sensitive to criticism or complaints. Do you have even a smidgin of evidence to support your contention?
    Stamina and even performance are other issues. But "thin skin."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from YankeeBill. Show YankeeBill's posts

In Response to Coming from nowhere:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure anyone has noticed but KC is 12-6 for the month of August and are now just 4 games behind Boston for the WC. Not only that, but Seattle is just 1 game behind the Sox; 9-7 for August. If these two teams, who everyone thought were basement teams, can get hot and run off some wins, there is no reason that the third highest scoring team can't do it either. It's all about attitude, desire, and believing. Someone on this roster needs to rally the troops and if that means calling out players for underperforming and a lack of effort, then so be it!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Your kidding me right ?   Your talking as if you have a WC spot. Last I checked you were 7 games out of the WC picture.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I remember in the winter saying this was a bad idea because BV is way too arrogant and I felt the disguise episode warranted him never manage for the Sox....of course, I was crushed for saying such statements against The Nation. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coming from nowhere : He won an NL pennant and managed teams that won 97 and 94 games. No, he is not the most successful guy out there, but as I said, he has had some success. Who would you have preferred, specifically?
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

Tony Pena, Mike Stanley, Grady Little Part 2, Gabe Kapler, Gene Lamont to name a few.

23. This post has been removed.