COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE.....

ENJOY THE RIDE, RED SOX NATION !!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE.....

I hope he gets the job. I'm not a big fan of Valentine, but he's a good field strategist and not a big sabermetrics fan.
    I also think that Dice-K, if and when he returns, would be much more comnfortable with valentine, and consequentlypitch better. as far as that goes, bring Oki back too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Also, after more meditation on the matter of Bobby V., I have come around to a possible narrative for Bobby's journey that makes him palatable to me as manager:  Though you can't separate a tiger from his stripes, it is plausible that Bobby's experience in Japan profoundly changed the man.  Yes, he is still gregarious and hot-blooded.  But, surely, immersing himself in the culture of japan must have changed him.  If he counts champion sumo wrestlers as his closest friends, is it not conceivable that some his extraneous wasted flamboyant energies would be transformed into quiet chess-like focus by these men?  If je went so far as to learn Japanese and immerse himself in the culture, is it not conceivable that, upon his return, he now has a better understanding of human nature?  

I am willing, in the spirit of fundamental-change-through-experiences-on-the-far-side-of-the-earth, to go against my tinglingf spidey-sense and knee-jerk-NOOOOOOO-first-reaction, and give the notion of Bobby V. at the hem a shot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE.....:
    [QUOTE]Also, after more meditation on the matter of Bobby V., I have come around to a possible narrative for Bobby's journey that makes him palatable to me as manager:  Though you can't separate a tiger from his stripes, it is plausible that Bobby's experience in Japan profoundly changed the man.  Yes, he is still gregarious and hot-blooded.  But, surely, immersing himself in the culture of japan must have changed him.  If he counts champion sumo wrestlers as his closest friends, is it not conceivable that some his extraneous wasted flamboyant energies would be transformed into quiet chess-like focus by these men?  If je went so far as to learn Japanese and immerse himself in the culture, is it not conceivable that, upon his return, he now has a better understanding of human nature?   I am willing, in the spirit of fundamental-change-through-experiences-on-the-far-side-of-the-earth, to go against my tinglingf spidey-sense and knee-jerk-NOOOOOOO-first-reaction, and give the notion of Bobby V. at the hem a shot.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Don't count on it Space. He is a life long resident of the Nutmeg State, as am I.  I've known people who have worked with and for him. never heard a good word about him before or after his time in Japan, including recently at ESPN

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE.....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE..... : Don't count on it Space. He is a life long resident of the Nutmeg State, as am I.  I've know people who have worked with and for him. never heard a good word about him before or after his time in Japan, including recently at ESPN
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is my instinct.  i am just trying desparately to find a way to accept what seems like is about to happen. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

CIRCA ALL THAT "HOPEY/CHANGEY" STUFF !!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]    CIRCA ALL THAT "HOPEY/CHANGEY" STUFF !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

YES WE CAN!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE..... : Yeah, that is my instinct.  i am just trying desparately to find a way to accept what seems like is about to happen. 

I hear ya. I've tried as well. I'll accept and support it, as I do all things sox, but won't like it. still dont see a 61 year old, who hasn't managed in MLB for a decade, and is from all accounts, a volatile bast^&*. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

This could be a smart move or a /facepalm.  That said I'd rather go with Mr. Personality Plus-Valentine over no personality hack Sveum and the rest of the uninspiring crowd.

The only manager that makes sense is John Farrell.  Now stop puzzy-farting around Red Sox FO and trade for the damn manager you really want.  Stop wasting your time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Oh wait, I could also go for Jimy Williams.  I love an oldfart that has the cajones to spell his name with originality.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE..... : Don't count on it Space. He is a life long resident of the Nutmeg State, as am I.  I've known people who have worked with and for him. never heard a good word about him before or after his time in Japan, including recently at ESPN
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    If personal popularity were a criterion for managing a baseball team, some of the best managers in history would never been hired. Start with Casey Stengel and go from there.
    The man negotiated life in a foreign culture that places great emphasis on decorum. Maybe he learned a thing or two. But not anything, one hopes, to minimize his toughness and boldness as a baseball man, to say nothing of his smarts.
    ESPN? You must be kidding. There isn't enough space in the nutmeg state to accommodate all the bloated egos in that outfit -- without much cause.
    Have you heard from Orel Hershiser?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE..... : If personal popularity were a criterion for managing a baseball team, some of the best managers in history would never been hired. Start with Casey Stengel and go from there. The man negotiated life in a foreign culture that places great emphasis on decorum. Maybe he learned a thing or two. But not anything, one hopes, to minimize his toughness and boldness as a baseball man, to say nothing of his smarts. ESPN? You must be kidding. There isn't enough space in the nutmeg state to accommodate all the bloated egos in that outfit -- without much cause. Have you heard from Orel Hershiser?
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

actually expitch, i've heard both good and bad about several personalities at ESPN, from different employees.  from what I've heard  about Valentine, past and present, none of it good and everyone cant be wrong. he's not a good fit in Boston, for the organization, players or media,IMO. there's a reason he hasn't managed in mlb for 10 years, and was fired in japan. Valentine was asked when the Boston opening became available if he was interested. his response was, "who the hell would want to manage there?" now that he knows the sox are interested, apparently he does.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

If Brad Mills gets fired from Astros, and he can be the bench coach under Bobby V, and I am all for that.   Have Millsy take over in a few years when Bobby retires.   That would be a grerat scenario.

Bobby V by himself?   Boston will crush him LOL   `

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaGolfer. Show TampaGolfer's posts

Ok, another fire storm! Bobby V has a decent resume. There are only 2 teams that get to the World Series each year, so because he only got there once and didn't win, does nothing to deter my thoughts about whether he is good or not.

IMO, the perfect hire would have been La Russa, but alas he isn't in the mix. The Sox do not need someone to just watch over them. Strategically, they are challenged. I loved Tito, but there was seldom even a glimpse of strategy in his decision making. Over a 162 game season, the Manager may only win or lose about 5 games. In most divisions, that will not keep you from making the playoffs. "Playoffs!", sorry!

However, in the AL east, that is the only difference between making them or not. That being said, the Sox need a Manager that can be many things to many people while still having a clue about how to MANAGE a game. That is the true value in a Manager.

Can Bobby V be that guy? Personally, I think he can. I think the Sox need a strong personality in the dugout. I love the fact that he is a tad quirky.....well, maybe more than a tad!

I really don't think another relative unknown is going to help this team. I watched Money Ball over the weekend and if Art Howe was portrayed anywheres close to his actual personality, he was a lousy Manager and yet, the team got to the playoffs.

The Sox need someone that they can "buy" in on. Someone that earns and keeps their respect. In Boston, that's a tough gig for whomever gets the job, but I think a coach with little big league experience will fold in a heartbeat.

So, why not give him a shot? My only fear is that there is little to no respect for our new GM from the owners and that is the biggest challenge. We don't need a puppet General Manager. How can the fans not panic, if they are thinking that the owners have? Not a good plan!

Let BV and his big ego have a shot with a team full of talent and hopefully a chip on their shoulders. Let him actually teach some baseball fundamentals to assist them in winning a couple of games that otherwise would have been lost. The owners, GM and coach do not ever play the actual games, so the only thing that really matters is how the players feel when they are on the field. Last year, we had a group of guys...NOT A TEAM, that played the games and expected that no matter what, they would win.

That didn't happen and there was no one there to stop the bleeding when it all started to fall apart.

Maybe this is the kind of guy that will not allow that to happen, even if it's just because of his own ego! If that's the case and they win, I am totally fine with that.

Just my thoughts!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Cant wait for the great sound bites...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, another fire storm! Bobby V has a decent resume. There are only 2 teams that get to the World Series each year, so because he only got there once and didn't win, does nothing to deter my thoughts about whether he is good or not. IMO, the perfect hire would have been La Russa, but alas he isn't in the mix. The Sox do not need someone to just watch over them. Strategically, they are challenged. I loved Tito, but there was seldom even a glimpse of strategy in his decision making. Over a 162 game season, the Manager may only win or lose about 5 games. In most divisions, that will not keep you from making the playoffs. "Playoffs!", sorry! However, in the AL east, that is the only difference between making them or not. That being said, the Sox need a Manager that can be many things to many people while still having a clue about how to MANAGE a game. That is the true value in a Manager. Can Bobby V be that guy? Personally, I think he can. I think the Sox need a strong personality in the dugout. I love the fact that he is a tad quirky.....well, maybe more than a tad! I really don't think another relative unknown is going to help this team. I watched Money Ball over the weekend and if Art Howe was portrayed anywheres close to his actual personality, he was a lousy Manager and yet, the team got to the playoffs. The Sox need someone that they can "buy" in on. Someone that earns and keeps their respect. In Boston, that's a tough gig for whomever gets the job, but I think a coach with little big league experience will fold in a heartbeat. So, why not give him a shot? My only fear is that there is little to no respect for our new GM from the owners and that is the biggest challenge. We don't need a puppet General Manager. How can the fans not panic, if they are thinking that the owners have? Not a good plan! Let BV and his big ego have a shot with a team full of talent and hopefully a chip on their shoulders. Let him actually teach some baseball fundamentals to assist them in winning a couple of games that otherwise would have been lost. The owners, GM and coach do not ever play the actual games, so the only thing that really matters is how the players feel when they are on the field. Last year, we had a group of guys...NOT A TEAM, that played the games and expected that no matter what, they would win. That didn't happen and there was no one there to stop the bleeding when it all started to fall apart. Maybe this is the kind of guy that will not allow that to happen, even if it's just because of his own ego! If that's the case and they win, I am totally fine with that. Just my thoughts!
    Posted by TampaGolfer[/QUOTE]

Loved Phillip Seyour Hoffmans turn as Howe.  Great actor, but I was getting sick of him pathetic pathos-filled losers all the time.  Great to play a grizzled, beat-up baseball lifer.  Loved it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Love to see him go toe-to-toe with Buck Showalter...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Love to see him go toe-to-toe with Buck Showalter...
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

Beavis, I love you.  That thought right there almost single-handedly eases my ominous forboding of a Valetine reign.  Even if the Sox quite on him by June, it would be well worth it to have an on-field no-holds-barred throw down between bobby and buck.  I'm thinking Bobby learned a trick or two from his sumo buddies in Japan and will do Buck like Pedro did Zimmer.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE..... : Beavis, I love you.  That thought right there almost single-handedly eases my ominous forboding of a Valetine reign.  Even if the Sox quite on him by June, it would be well worth it to have an on-field no-holds-barred throw down between bobby and buck.  I'm thinking Bobby learned a trick or two from his sumo buddies in Japan and will do Buck like Pedro did Zimmer.  

having nothing to do with yankees or sox; I'm surprised you would celebrate this .... pedro was 40 (FOURTY) years younger than Zimmer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE..... : actually expitch, i've heard both good and bad about several personalities at ESPN, from different employees.  from what I've heard  about Valentine, past and present, none of it good and everyone cant be wrong. he's not a good fit in Boston, for the organization, players or media,IMO. there's a reason he hasn't managed in mlb for 10 years, and was fired in japan. Valentine was asked when the Boston opening became available if he was interested. his response was, "who the hell would want to manage there?" now that he knows the sox are interested, apparently he does.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    Maybe you shouldn't be listening to anyone at ESPN about anyone or anything. None of it will make an iota of difference if Valentine is hired by the Red Sox. What will count -- and only count -- is what happens from that point on.
    In short, what's your point, other than you have some kind of connection to ESPN?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Billy Martin was a paranoid egomaniac who battled the FO daily and he won two WS didn't he? I don't think it will work long term, I've posted that, but the spark just might burn hot, even if short. The chicken and beer needs to go, along with the complacency.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE..... :  having nothing to do with yankees or sox; I'm surprised you would celebrate this .... pedro was 40 (FOURTY) years younger than Zimmer.
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

hahaha.  Prodding this infamous moment never gets through a thread without some backlash.  I don't celebrate it Pri.  Just joke about in an off-color sort of way.  But truth be told, I do fall into the camp that doesn't see what was wrong with Pedro knocking him down.  Zim was charging at him like a wild boar with a maniacal look in his eyes.  He had to protect himself.  And he didn't exactly take him out.  He really just deflected Don's crazy charging energy.