COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE.....

In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE.....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE..... : hahaha.  Prodding this infamous moment never gets through a thread without some backlash.  I don't celebrate it Pri.  Just joke about in an off-color sort of way.  But truth be told, I do fall into the camp that doesn't see what was wrong with Pedro knocking him down.  Zim was charging at him like a wild boar with a maniacal look in his eyes.  He had to protect himself.  And he didn't exactly take him out.  He really just deflected Don's crazy charging energy.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

My thought exactly. I never see that clip without chuckling. Zimmerman himself even later admitted that he was wrong, and that he didn't blame Pedro..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE.....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE..... : Maybe you shouldn't be listening to anyone at ESPN about anyone or anything. None of it will make an iota of difference if Valentine is hired by the Red Sox. What will count -- and only count -- is what happens from that point on. In short, what's your point, other than you have some kind of connection to ESPN?
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Why wouldnt I listen? When everyone says the same thing about someone, everyone can't be wrong and has some merit.  Not making any point about ESPN expitch, other than Valentine presently works there, as does a few people I know. In short, my point is, as I  previously stated I've known several people who worked with and for Valentine looooooong before and including ESPN. He's not the nicest of individuals, to say the least and don't think he's a good fit for the Boston managerial job.  As I also stated, I'll support who ever is hired, like it or not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE..... : Why wouldnt I listen? When everyone says the same thing about someone, everyone can't be wrong and has some merit.  Not making any point about ESPN expitch, other than Valentine presently works there, as does a few people I know. In short, my point is, as I  previously stated I've known several people who worked with and for Valentine looooooong before and including ESPN. He's not the nicest of individuals, to say the least and don't think he's a good fit for the Boston managerial job.  As I also stated, I'll support who ever is hired, like it or not.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    Every employee you've heard from at ESPN? Does that include Hershiser?
    My point is that at this juncture talk about personality is irrelevant -- and, I must say, should probably be left to a gossip column. All that counts now is how Valentine does his job if the Sox hire him.
    Niceness is not a requirement. Look where it got Terry Francona in 2011. And Bucky Harris in 1948, before he was fired in favor of Stengel. I could give other examples.
    In general, niceness is not a requirement for leadership -- and has often been just the opposite.
    In short, hold your horses.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE..... : Every employee you've heard from at ESPN? Does that include Hershiser? My point is that at this juncture talk about personality is irrelevant -- and, I must say, should probably be left to a gossip column. All that counts now is how Valentine does his job if the Sox hire him. Niceness is not a requirement. Look where it got Terry Francona in 2011. And Bucky Harris in 1948, before he was fired in favor of Stengel. I could give other examples. In general, niceness is not a requirement for leadership -- and has often been just the opposite. In short, hold your horses.

expitch, living in Southern CT, as does Valentine. (He has a chain of restaurants named Bobby Valentines, no less) I've heard about him for decades, from employees, patrons, people who knew him in MLB, local TV stations and now ESPN. Does he have to be nice to be a successful manager? No. Does he have to have other qualities which may not be his strong points to be successful in a big market like Boston, yes I believe he does. It's why I think no one has hired him to manage in MLB for 10 years, even though he's been interviewed. While I hope it's the same for the Sox, in the end, if they hire him, it won't matter. He'll be the Sox skipper and as a fan, will support their decision. This is a discussion board for opinions and comments. just adding mine good bad or indifferent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE..... : expitch, as I stated to space, living in Southern CT, as does Valentine. (He has a chain of restaurants named Bobby Valentines, no less) I've heard about him for decades, from employees, patrons, people who worked with and knew him in MLB, TV stations and now ESPN. Does he have to be nice to be a successful manager? No. Does he have to have other qualities I don't believe he has to be successful in a big market like Boston, yes I believe he does. It's why I think no one has hired him to manage in MLB for 10 years, even though he's been interviewed. I hope it's the same for the sox. this is a discussion board for comments and opinions. just adding mine. In the end, if the Sox hire him, it won't matter what I think. He'll be the sox skipper and as a fan, will support their decision
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    IMO, this is not the time to talk -- because it means essentially nothing -- but to wait and see what happens next and next and next.
    Is NY not a big market?
    You can't really know why he's not managed in America for 10 years.
    You are predisposing the suggestible to assume a striking position even before an announcement is made, let alone ST.
    There are several different varieties of comments and opinions. I still say yours belong in a gossip column. Sorry, but that's how it looks to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE..... : IMO, this is not the time to talk -- because it means essentially nothing -- but to wait and see what happens next and next and next. Is NY not a big market? You can't really know why he's not managed in America for 10 years. You are predisposing the suggestible to assume a striking position even before an announcement is made, let alone ST. There are several different varieties of comments and opinions. I still say yours belong in a gossip column. Sorry, but that's how it looks to me.

Fair enough, expitch. However I take exception with the last part, as I've not repeated anything I've heard, for that reason, only that it hasn't been positive. It's a discussion about Valentine and threw it out there. thats all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: COMING TO A BALL PARK NEAR YOU.... BOBBY V & HIS EGO MACHINE..... : Fair enough, expitch. However I take exception with the last part, as I've not repeated anything I've heard, for that reason, only that it hasn't been positive. It's a discussion about Valentine and threw it out there. thats all.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    Gossip columnists say things like, "No one on the set likes X or Y." You don't have to quote exactly to pass along gossip. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Either Valantine would be disastorous or exactly the right man for the job. Who can say.

This team is only a tweak away from winning the WS, even at present they would still be in the top 5. 

I am willing to take a chance on the V-man.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadow721. Show Shadow721's posts

Bobby V is just what we need.....He takes no bull from his players. He demands 100 percent every day!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

I agree BurritoT  --   Having seen his enthusiasm and attended  several games in Japan.. He  is all for his team and all for the game... He was everywhere in Japan  doing things for his team and the city..

I'd rather have him than a guy who sits in the dugout   and says nothing all game..

I want a manager to hold the 8-10-15 million a year palyer accountable and helps them play a better game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

jackyido: how are the games in Japan?

Space, you many times make my day a little brighter...