Comment on Rutgers President Robert Barchi

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Comment on Rutgers President Robert Barchi

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

If the coach had said "you stupid white boy bigots", the media would have never "reported" this non-story.

Wrong. It was the video that was the key component to this story. All you did was reprise yourself with your old agenda.

Great thread & posts......  I suspect that there will be a lot of chatter on this right up to "game time" @ 1:07 !!!!!       Go Sox.....  Hope IGGY is OK !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Many University presidents are notoriously weak administrators.  Anything goes. They are highly paid and wrapped up in own little world. One reason why tuition is sky high. 

The problem at any of the top of the pyramid guys is that they have to be good at everything.  So you take a really smart guy, and want him to be a fundraiser, an accountant, an administrator, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Everybody perhaps needs to take a deep breath and think this through.

If the players felt victimized, abused, put upon, etc..........How many transferred out of Rutgers or simply quit the team while this coach was there ?

I believe MOST coaches, certainly ones I had in minor hockey ( I'm originally a canuck), high school soccer & hockey, etc; used profanity, pushing & shoving, grabbing helmets or chin straps,  to get player's attention and demonstrate proper positioning or motions.

I'd even go so ar as to say coaches do this to toughen teams up, break them down in order to mold into a TEAM, and that the players are better off in the long run because of it.   All these crybaby limp-wristed commentators and sports gadflies who are whining about how terrible this all is probably never played sports at any level above little league.

i agree. i don't think it's that big a deal. my wrestling coach in HS used to beat the hell out of us. You slacked off or ran your mouth guess what? you're wrestling coach today.  have fun getting manhandled

That's what I assumed as well, but this guy looks like he pretty much snapped.  There's a pretty fuzzy line out there.  I remember my wife criticizing an opposing coach for yelling at the girls.  'You can't yell at girls' is the qoute as I recall.  If my daughter gets the play wrong, then just like any teacher, the coach is allowed to yell, commensurate with the number of times a given player makes a mistake.

OTOH, I've seen players reduced to tears, which isn't exactly helpful either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I agree with Joebreidey.  I do not mind if a coach mentors me by yelling at me.  But the Rutgers coach snapped at his players.  I do not believe that the now former coach is a bad man.  I just thinks he needs to keep his emotions a bit more intact. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

All coaches yell, I get that. But you don't push, you don't grab, you don't kick, you don't throw basketballs at their heads. And especially at a university that had a tragic suicide three years ago over gay bashing, you don't scream homophobic slurs at them.

Rice and Pernetti had to go, no question about it. The prez made a monumental mistake by not looking at the video, but I cut him a little slack because he thought letting his respected AD handle it was the right course. Clearly it wasn't.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

All coaches yell, I get that. But you don't push, you don't grab, you don't kick, you don't throw basketballs at their heads. And especially at a university that had a tragic suicide three years ago over gay bashing, you don't scream homophobic slurs at them.

Rice and Pernetti had to go, no question about it. The prez made a monumental mistake by not looking at the video, but I cut him a little slack because he thought letting his respected AD handle it was the right course. Clearly it wasn't.

GOOD POST........   This is exactly why the "American love affair" with the 3 c's need to be questioned from time to time, College, Cost, & Culture !!!!  (and the end results)

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

My mistake, I could have put this under the sports categories "College" or "Mixed Bag". But who reads those? Apparently not many.

good post, nice to see someone has a conscience besides me and Commie on these boards.. cant all b about sports.. we live in a bigger society that impacts sports as well. prez was cracking tasteless jokes.. the entire culture has to change, they should fire the entire board of governors and definotely the prez and leadership team..not fit to lead!

Excuse me, but aren't you the same?

umm, i am the lover, there is only one Contrarian. i exist at the 4th dimension, he is the only one i know already at the 8th dimension of CONSCIOUSNESS!

That explains it

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Wrong. It was the video that was the key component to this story. All you did was reprise yourself with your old agenda.

Wrong, it was what he said in that video that put this on the media agenda. Don't ever try and claim that a coach throwing balls at players and verbally abusing players would ever, ever, ever, ever, reach the media agenda if the verbal abuse didn't include the current social agenda words and phrases that are de facto outlawed!

This is a contrived non-story that the media uses as a hammer to further an agenda! Coaches are brutal on players, call them names, shove them, kick them in the backside, and they are currently working for the very same media propaganda source that used this video to try and promote outrage from a bigoted and feeble minded society.  

Completely disagree; the verbiage, based on quantification of the media reaction, was clearly secondary; in contrast, it's your general cranky opinion that flipped the weighting of the issues.

Having said that, he's not the only one, starting with Bobby Knight. Except it's 2013, and you now have to watch what you do even in a public restroom.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Wrong, it was what he said in that video that put this on the media agenda. Don't ever try and claim that a coach throwing balls at players and verbally abusing players would ever, ever, ever, ever, reach the media agenda if the verbal abuse didn't include the current social agenda words and phrases that are de facto outlawed!

This is a contrived non-story that the media uses as a hammer to further an agenda! Coaches are brutal on players, call them names, shove them, kick them in the backside, and they are currently working for the very same media propaganda source that used this video to try and promote outrage from a bigoted and feeble minded society.  

Completely disagree; the verbiage, based on quantification of the media reaction, was clearly secondary; in contrast, it's your general cranky opinion that flipped the weighting of the issues.

Having said that, he's not the only one, starting with Bobby Knight. Except it's 2013, and you now have to watch what you do even in a public restroom.

In the end the coach had to go...not for what he did or said...He had to go becasue the chances of them recruiting any of the top AAU/HS players was nil. The AD's dismisal was due to the president saving face with the university board of regents, classic CYA.

For those of you that find this story to be an over-reaction to a sensitive social issue. You're missing the greater point. A coach is supposed to be a mentor and a teacher to help ready young men and women for the challenges of life. Being physically and or verbally abusive is hardly the model to help one get ahead in the real world. Nor is it the type of behavoir we'd want our own children to model. In grade school they're called bullys. Disipline can be levied without the use of purjoritves and or the use of physical force by a coach. Those that need to use such techniques are themselves lacking. That's not to suggest that passion for your craft can't be displayed by raising ones voice and or dropping a cuss word or two to emphesize your point. However when a coach digresses to the point where they're using homophoebic, gender specific, or racial slurs the line has been crossed. A coach should never put his or her hand on a player unless it is specific to coaching a technique where the need to reinforce proper positioning can't be relayed with words and it should be done without belittling to berating the player. I get that tough love is part of the athletic experience and there are times when players and teams need a good chewing out. In the end it's the end result that matters. Correcting the behavior IMHO the best of the best do so without crossing the line.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Who will put the ESPN coaches on the hot spot? Who will ask Dicky V, General Knight, Digger Phelps and Lou Holtz to come clean? Who dares to face Jeremy Schaap?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to youkillus's comment:

Who will put the ESPN coaches on the hot spot? Who will ask Dicky V, General Knight, Digger Phelps and Lou Holtz to come clean? Who dares to face Jeremy Schaap?

The deeper they dig, will come home to roost at a lot more Schools than one would think !!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

what the coach did was idiotic but it is the coverup that always gets you....bigtime college sports is a cesspool of corruption....