Comparing the Red Sox, Yankees lineups-Do you agree?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Comparing the Red Sox, Yankees lineups-Do you agree?

By Kirk Minihane/WEEI

First Base

Advantage: Adrian Gonzalez. Two of the, what, 10-12 best hitters in the American League so far this season? Mark Teixeira is having a terrific year — ranked in the top 10 in slugging, OPS, RBI and is second with 18 home runs — but falls short when compared to Gonzalez, who leads the AL in hits (83), RBI (50) and has higher slugging and OPS numbers.

Second Base

Advantage: Robinson Cano. Look, I think Dustin Pedroia is playing hurt. He just is not the same hitter that we saw before he broke his foot in San Francisco last June. Fifty-nine games into the season — sample size enough, I think, to pass some judgement — and Pedroia is hitting .244 (55 points below his career average) and has an OPS of .688 (129 points below his career mark). He’s tied with Ryan Raburn for 77th place in AL slugging percentage. Pedroia has basically been Julio Lugo with nifty soundbites for the first third of the season. Cano’s numbers are down from 2010 but we are still talking about a guy with a .514 slugging percentage (Pedroia has never had a season with a slugging percentage higher than .493) and superior defensive numbers to Pedroia’s (Cano is second to Mark Ellis among AL 2B in Range Factor per nine innings).

Shortstop

Advantage: Jed Lowrie. After that eye-opening April (.368/.389/.574), Lowrie was just below OK in May, putting up a line of .261/.330./.359. Here’s the thing, though: That mediocre May was still better than Derek Jeter’s numbers for the season (.260/.327/.325). Lowrie still has a way to go to match El Capitano in the steely eyes and intangibles categories, though, and good luck getting close to Jeter in the fist-pumping department.

Third Base

Advantage: Wash. Alex Rodriguez is batting 28 points higher, but Youkilis has a 26-point edge in OBP and 17-point advantage in OPS. When you watch A-Rod get thrown out by three strides on a medium-speed hopper to short during this series, don’t forget that this is a guy who will be paid $25 million dollars at age 38 in 2014 — and then $61 million for the three seasons after that. Staggering, there is no comparison. I thought giving Paul Pierce four years last offseason was a mistake, the A-Rod equivalent would have been Danny giving Pierce eight years.

Catcher

Advantage: Russell Martin. Jarrod Saltalamacchia has bounced back — right now he is at his season high with a .240 batting average, .432 slugging percentage and .723 OPS after his three-hit game vs. the A’s on Sunday — and it might have been fair to call this a wash. But Martin still has a 60-point edge in OPS for the season, not an insignificant advantage. But it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Saltalamacchia had a clear lead two months from today (remember, all of Martin’s numbers have gone down in each of the last four seasons).

Left Field

Advantage: Carl Crawford.

Here’s what I wrote about these two guys when I broke the two teams down before the start of the season:

Crawford clearly makes the Red Sox a better team and he’s an easy choice over Brett Gardner — though Gardner (who had a higher OBP than Crawford last year) is probably better value at $500,000 a year than Crawford at 40 times that much — but I wonder how the fans are going to feel if he’s hitting .296 with nine home runs on August 18.

And here we are on June 7 and Brett Gardner — making $529,000 in 2011, to be accurate — has better numbers than Crawford. But Crawford has seen his batting average go from .209 to .248 in the last two weeks (his OPS has gone up 155 points in that same span) and looks like Carl Crawford. Again, he’s a huge overpay at $20 million a year, but there’s no question he’s the pick over Brett Gardner.

Center Field

Advantage: Curtis Granderson. See first base. Two guys among the very best at their position so far this season, but push comes to shove I’ll take a 129-point OPS edge over 25 points in batting average and a plus-14 in stolen bases.

Right Field

Advantage: Nick Swisher. Both J.D. Drew and Swisher have been terrible to date. Have to think that Swisher — five years younger and with better numbers last season and so far in 2011 — is a safer bet to contribute to his team the rest of the way.

Designated Hitter

Advantage: David Ortiz. Here’s kind of an amazing stat for you: Jorge Posada — pretty much the everyday DH for the Yankees — has not had a batting average over .200 since April 5. This is what the end looks like, I guess. Ortiz has 30 extra-base hits (fourth in the AL) against just 26 hits total for Posada. It wouldn’t have given me any pause at all if you had told me on Opening Day that Ortiz would be out-performing Posada in the first third of the season, but I would never have bought the idea that it would be a complete rout.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

Re: Comparing the Red Sox, Yankees lineups-Do you agree?

i think it's safe to say that thru 59 games CC has been a major disappointment in just about all aspects of the game--stealing bases, hitting(not) and fielding.

hopefully, he'll improve to what he was at tampa bay. hopefully.
    as for DREW, the less said, the better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Comparing the Red Sox, Yankees lineups-Do you agree?:
    [QUOTE]i think it's safe to say that thru 59 games CC has been a major disappointment in just about all aspects of the game--stealing bases, hitting(not) and fielding. hopefully, he'll improve to what he was at tampa bay. hopefully. as for DREW, the less said, the better.
    Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]
     nope.  its not safe to say at all.  through about 20 games he was a major dissapointment.  From then on, it is safe to say that he has been vintage Carl Crawford.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]i think it's safe to say that thru 59 games CC has been a major disappointment in just about all aspects of the game--stealing bases, hitting(not) and fielding. hopefully, he'll improve to what he was at tampa bay. hopefully. as for DREW, the less said, the better.
    Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]

This makes no sense.  Where to begin?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'd call 3B and LF a wash. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]take jake over granderson--granderson's production will tail off, but jake will remain constant over the course of the season
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

You could be right, but right now the clear edge is to Granderson. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Both have good lineups.

Both have mediocre bullpens.

The Red Sox have a superior rotation. Especially now without Daisuke.

I would disagree that Cano is overall better than Pedroia. There is an intanglible called guts and heart that Pedroia possesses that used to be more widespread in sports ,but is fading as players get big paydays and then just go through the motions. Pedroia is a throwback and would have been a star in any era. He is a talented little guy that gives 100%. If I wanted a role model for young kids in 2011, this would be the guy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Advantage Jed Lowrie? Lowrie is back on the shelf, again. He makes Drew, at 35, look like Cal Ripkin. Jeter is in the last stage of his career as an everyday SS, but I doubt anyone would take the human pretzel who scuffs against RHP over a HOF SS Jeter. Get a grip, fellow.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Lineup comparisons are a pointless academic exercise. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Isn't this chat board usually a pointless exercise?

It is helping me learn to type a little faster, at least.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Zill, the Pedey points you make aren't off target but they don't change the fact that Cano is at this point as superior player. Cashman would never do a straight up trade and nothing would stop Epstein from doing it.

But these type of player by player comparisons while an entertaining exercise have very little to do with how teams play over 162 or head to head. The 2004 RS I dare say had very favorable match-ups as you went around the horn. The NYY IF was hands down better, the catcher edge went to Posada unless you debated intangibles and the RF match-up was in fvaor of the NYY as well. So the RS had an edge at CF, LF and DH. And managed to execute the greatest comeback in sports.

Because the importance of character that you mention in regards to Pedroia's value, the 2004 RS to quote Millar, "shocked the United States of America." 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Isn't this chat board usually a pointless exercise? It is helping me learn to type a little faster, at least.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

LOL I think there are degrees of pointlessness.  I just chuckle when they do these big detailed comparisons before a series to determine who's going to win. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Sorry , I have some issues with Cano. He's no Rod Carew, the guy they always compare him with.

Good player, very talented but until he wins batting titles yeat after year , he's no Carew. Plus Carew could steal bases, bunt and played two positions, 2nd and later 1st. Very humble man also. I admired Rod Carew, just like I admire Pedroia.

Apologies to Yankees fans, but I am a Sox fan and I'll take Pedroia. I love a guy who hustles and gives everything, every game. The guy is like a Steve Grogan, a Terry O'Reilly , a Fred Lynn. He gets his uniform dirty, he dives for balls, he has more guts than most players in pro sports today. 

I was always a fan of the Bruins when Don Cherry was coaching them, they called them the "lunch pail gang."

I do not identify with today's Bruins, even if they win the Cup, thay will never take the place of the guys who worked their tails off in the late 70's,I don't even watch the sport anymore it so methodical. Pedroia reminds me of players from the old Bruins teams , hard work, hustle and lots of grit. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]Both have good lineups. Both have mediocre bullpens. The Red Sox have a superior rotation. Especially now without Daisuke. I would disagree that Cano is overall better than Pedroia. There is an intanglible called guts and heart that Pedroia possesses that used to be more widespread in sports ,but is fading as players get big paydays and then just go through the motions. Pedroia is a throwback and would have been a star in any era. He is a talented little guy that gives 100%. If I wanted a role model for young kids in 2011, this would be the guy.

Ummm....The Yanks bullpen has the lowest ERA of any in the AL by almost half a run.

And Cano is head and shoulders better than the hobbit at this point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

One poster suggested that the Yankees and Red Sox have mediocre bullpens.  This fan obviously does not follow the sport and know what the facts.  The Yankees have the best bullpen in the American League statistically so far this year.  The Red Sox have one of the most mediocre.  Also must have missed the fact that the Yankee bullpen pitched 7 1/3rd innings last night with Noesi pitching the equivalent of a quality start with 2 earned runs (Papi's HR) in 6 innings.  Freddy Garcia who pitched like a number 6 starter yesterday has a much lower ERA than the Sox closer who has an alarming ERA for any reliever let alone a closer of 4.50 runs per game.  Lowrie over Jeter at shortstop is "homer blindless" at its worst.  Jeter is not nearly the player he was in his prime, but Jed Lowrie is not nearly the player Jeter was when he was at the same point in his career as "Peanuts."  They should never be mentioned in the same sentence and Lowrie's 24 hours of fame are in their late stages.  He is not a major league shortstop nor is Scutaro which is why both should share the job.  One utility guy + one utility guy equals a starter. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Not many bullpens impress me , I guess.

In the case of the "hobbit"at this point, I don't care  who has better numbers. I like Pedroia and that is my final answer.

I am biased and admit it. I did apologize to you Yankee folk for my selection but made it quite clear why I make this choice. 

You guys probably love him, and you should. He wears the uniform of your team. If I was a Yankee fan , I would probably say Cano is better, too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

WilcyMoore take your 18 posts and put them somwhere, before you go posting that people "do not follow the sports and do not know the facts."

I don't care if the Yankees have the best bullpen "statistically" this year.

I am saying this is a mediocre bullpen. You cannot judge a bullpen by stats over 2 and 1/3 months. This bullpen is a bunch of no names, who happen to have good numbers over a short period of time. Check back with me in October and we'll see if this bullpen gets them a playoff spot. I say it will fall apart.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

zilla, have to disagree with you about this year's bruins.
    i, too, was a fan of don cherry and the big bad bruins of the early 70's.
    these bruins of today are of a similar ilk.
    these guys have been bringing their lunch pails to these stanley cup playoffs, and their not sharing their twinkees with the canucks.
    TIM THOMAS, THE BEST SPORTS FIGURE IN BOSTON RIGHT NOW!

GO BRUINS!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

U forgot to mention Tek in the catching analysis.  Remember we have a "tandem" not a starting and back-up pair.  Surely a certain someone will be here soon to correct you Thread Bearer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

o and Zilla I am with you on Pedroia...100%.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry , I have some issues with Cano. He's no Rod Carew, the guy they always compare him with. Good player, very talented but until he wins batting titles yeat after year , he's no Carew. Plus Carew could steal bases, bunt and played two positions, 2nd and later 1st. Very humble man also. I admired Rod Carew, just like I admire Pedroia. Apologies to Yankees fans, but I am a Sox fan and I'll take Pedroia. I love a guy who hustles and gives everything, every game. The guy is like a Steve Grogan, a Terry O'Reilly , a Fred Lynn. He gets his uniform dirty, he dives for balls, he has more guts than most players in pro sports today.  I was always a fan of the Bruins when Don Cherry was coaching them, they called them the "lunch pail gang." I do not identify with today's Bruins, even if they win the Cup, thay will never take the place of the guys who worked their tails off in the late 70's,I don't even watch the sport anymore it so methodical. Pedroia reminds me of players from the old Bruins teams , hard work, hustle and lots of grit. 

Good points but I fail to see the Carew/Cano comparisons myself.  Carew was a much more selective hitter than Cano is (much better plate discipline) but Cano has more power which counts for a lot!  I also don't see Cano hitting .388 ever!  But on the other hand I don't see him winning a batting title with exactly 0 home runs as carew once did.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

As for Pedroia these comparisons to Cano are just dumb.  The more apt comparison would be to Jeter and their career numbers are eerily similar.  Jeter is better if only slightly.  Yankee fans would be loathe to admit this but the numbers do not lie! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Thats why numbers, regardless of those on the Realistic Thread, don't mean everything.  I don't know about you but I feel like I have seen Jeter come through at-bat after at-bat against us.... though he may finally be done don't discount if he only gets 1 hit out 20 ab's that it will be a game winning hit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

hey zilla,
    if PEDROIA was a hockey player, he would be TIM THOMAS.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]Thats why numbers, regardless of those on the Realistic Thread, don't mean everything.  I don't know about you but I feel like I have seen Jeter come through at bat after at bat against us.... though he may finally be done don't discount if he only gets one hit out 20 at bats that it will be a game winning hit.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
    Burrito,

That anomaly makes the comparison even more on the money.  Tell me that Yankee fans don't fear Pedey in the clutch?  They would be lying if they said they did not!  As a sox fan, Jeter is certainly one of if not the last guy I want to see batting in the late innings in a close game!  I always feared him and even though his production is down I still do!