Comparing the Red Sox, Yankees lineups-Do you agree?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

Re: Comparing the Red Sox, Yankees lineups-Do you agree?

In Response to Re: Comparing the Red Sox, Yankees lineups-Do you agree?:
    [QUOTE]Advantage Jed Lowrie? Lowrie is back on the shelf, again. He makes Drew, at 35, look like Cal Ripkin. Jeter is in the last stage of his career as an everyday SS, but I doubt anyone would take the human pretzel who scuffs against RHP over a HOF SS Jeter. Get a grip, fellow.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

me thinks betterdeadthanred.......lol

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

These comparisons never make any sense to me were equal value is given when an advantage is slight say centerfield to where an advantage is great say designated hitter

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

My comparison...

#1 Ellsbury .307/.366/.475
    #1 Jeter    .261/.326/.328

ADV: Ellsbury (not even close)

#2 Pedroia      .247/.361/.338
    #2 Granderson .263/.337/.570

On the surface, Grandy has the edge, but for a #2 hitter, he doesn't get on base and his .570 SLG is wasted. Petey has been whiffing more this season. His big swing will be a concern down the road.

ADV: Granderson (but Petey will eclipse him once he's healthy)

#3 Gonzalez  .335/.385/.566
    #3 Teixeira    .258/.364/.544

Ironically, AG didn't have a good game in the 11-6 win. He went 0-4 with a walk and 2 RBIs, but was chasing the outside stuff from a nibbling AJ and got a sombrero for it. What's amazing about AG is that he's been pressing with men on base and needs to take more pitches. Tex makes up for his poor BA with his ability to get on base.
    ADV: Gonzales (he's going to get better, IMO. That is scary!)

#4 Youkilis     .255/.380/.470
    #4 Rodriguez  .278/.349/.486

Arod is clearly not the same player he used to be. He's coming off a career worst season. I'd like to see Youkilis' SLG to get above .500. I look at all players as commodities and this may rankle some fans, but I would have re-signed Beltre and traded Youk for pitching. Beltre's D and his SLG, plus his #2 in the AL in WAR in 2010, would have been a better fit for this team. Moreover, Beltre looked comfortable hitting at Fenway, after leaving Seattle, a park that is death on RH power hitters.

ADV: Youkilis

#5 Ortiz .323/.390/.609
    #5 Cano .273/.314/.502

ADV: Ortiz
    I am a big Cano fan, however. He and Carl Crawford are very similar in their approach to hitting at the plate. Cano has shown that you can be a productive hitter sans walks so long as you hit for contact, keep your K% down, and have a good SLG. Based on his recent history, I wonder how long Papi can keep turning back the clock.

#6 Crawford .247/.283/.396
    #6 Swisher   .222/.343/.354
    ADV: EVEN

I'm a big fan of both players. Swisher was Cashman's best transaction. Both players are off to slow starts. CC has been struggling to get on base and Swish has had his worst ISO (.132) of his career thus far. CC's been unlucky (BABIP of .278). Expect both player to continue to improve as the season progresses.

7, 8, and 9s are a jumbled.

ADV: Yankees (Gardner is a good on base guy)

Conclusion: The Red Sox have a slightly better lineup. That's big deal, when you consider that offense is the Yankees biggest strength this season. Since the Sox have 3 solid starters and the Yanks are hoping that Colon will last, this makes the Red Sox the superior team. It's no surprise that they are domininating the Yankees in this series. If not for their horrific start, Boston would be pulling away in the AL East right now. Do the Sox have flaws? Most definitely, but they are self remedied and/or fixable. The Yanks have a substandard rotation in 2011, and that can only be solved with hope and balewire.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

william93 absolutely agree.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The fantastic Yankee bullpen on the night of June 8, 2011:

Boonies Logan , walked in a run.

Pendelton, gives up back to back homers.

Like I said .....mediocre.

Can I possibly have some more newbies with 18 posts say I obviously dont follow the sport!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Zilla, i am huge fan of Rod Carew's and had the pleasure of watching him play many games at the Big A.

The comparisons are not well founded I agree. Rod Carew was a master of the bunt for a single and had just tremendous bat control. Robinson cano is a different ballplayer.

Still in the context of 2011 he is the better player when compared to Pedey. You can make the argument that Pedroia is perfect for the RS, Pedroia is an outstanding player in his own right but so far in 2011 and 2010 Cano was the best 2B in the AL.

He fields his position well, his OBP gets better every year, he is a born .300 hitter and he has the power and the ball park to put up high 800 low 900 OPS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Zillagod, with you 100% on Pedroia!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

But if you go back and read my post, I am not saying one is better than the other.

I am saying that I am a Red Sox fan and I am happy with Pedroia as our 2nd baseman, I would not take Cano over him because of intangibles. Pedroia is a leader on our team, he is a hustler and he is a fan favorite.

Cano is another cog in the Yankee machine , he is not a team leader as Jeter , A-Rod and Posada fill that role. And yes, he has great talent.

But I would rather have Pedroia on the Sox, he is a better fit for our team.

I did also say that I would not expect Yankee fans to pick Pedroia over their guy, and they shouldn't.

In his prime Nomar looked every bit and more the talent that Jeter was. History has shown that Jeter was the more durable player. Jeter has turned out the better leader, the better clutch guy....we didn't know this in 2001 or 2002. Hindsight would indicate we are wrong to have loved Nomar.

If you went back to 1999, without knowing the future, which player would pick Nomar or Jeter?... I would have thought Nomar would be the the better choice, back then. So. even though Cano seems to be a good choice, I think Pedroia has more of the qualities of a Derek Jeter or a Kirk Gibson type player. He leads by example and brings more to the table than his stats indicate....intangibles , you cannot measure with numbers, you must use your eyes.