compensation for Farrell

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

compensation for Farrell

Ask the Blue Jays to allow the signing of Farrell with the understanding that compensation would be decided upon after the signing, much like the arrangement that the Sox had with the Cubs while signing Theo.

Then once Farrell is signed, offer the Blue Jays that which was received in the Epstein swindle and after a suitable time has elapsed toss it upstairs to Selig's office.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: compensation for Farrell

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ask the Blue Jays to allow the signing of Farrell with the understanding that compensation would be decided upon after the signing, much like the arrangement that the Sox had with the Cubs while signing Theo.

Then once Farrell is signed, offer the Blue Jays that which was received in the Epstein swindle and after a suitable time has elapsed toss it upstairs to Selig's office.

[/QUOTE]

Give The jays.......Ellsbury and tell Boras not one player is above the game. Sick of Boras brats getting huge contracts and not living up to there paychecks.Ells to Jays or sitting on bench for sox with sore finger or something not as serious.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Give The jays.......Ellsbury and tell Boras not one player is above the game. Sick of Boras brats getting huge contracts and not living up to there paychecks.Ells to Jays or sitting on bench for sox with sore finger or something not as serious.

[/QUOTE]

Yea, that'll show him!

I mean, why trade Ells in a deal for a pitcher, or another solid player for the lineup, or good prospects when we can teach Boras (yea, right) a lesson.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox made the steal of the century. They should have sent Pedroia if that's what it took to take InEpstein off and away from the books.

[/QUOTE]

You're so full of chicken manure ....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I thought Chris Carpenter and Aaron Kurcz did pretty good. As fans, I believe we over-value compensation. The media does this as well and that usually gets the fans in a frenzy when they dont recieve it.

Toronto got Aviles in exchange for Adam Lind and his 5mm salary with a 2mm buyout. Not exactly what Toronto fans, as well as Sox fans, were expecting. BJ fans were spewing out names like DeLaRosa, Middlebrooks, Buchholz, Pedroia etc...For a manager with 2yrs exp.? Ridiculousness...

Toronto valued salary relief and couoldnt give Lind away this year. Sox have lots of spending room, can afford the 7mm, do not have to give up anything of real value and know who they are getting. I didnt want farrell due to the compensation, but now that I know its not much I have no issue with it. A+ for Ben C.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I thought Chris Carpenter and Aaron Kurcz did pretty good. As fans, I believe we over-value compensation. The media does this as well and that usually gets the fans in a frenzy when they dont recieve it.

Toronto got Aviles in exchange for Adam Lind and his 5mm salary with a 2mm buyout. Not exactly what Toronto fans, as well as Sox fans, were expecting. BJ fans were spewing out names like DeLaRosa, Middlebrooks, Buchholz, Pedroia etc...For a manager with 2yrs exp.? Ridiculousness...

Toronto valued salary relief and couoldnt give Lind away this year. Sox have lots of spending room, can afford the 7mm, do not have to give up anything of real value and know who they are getting. I didnt want farrell due to the compensation, but now that I know its not much I have no issue with it. A+ for Ben C.

[/QUOTE]

you are anlayzing the trade for the manager? arent you missing the big picture? this guy is a slug of a leader and has done NOTHING but make his team WORSE as manager...and you give ben an A for this???? LOLOLOLOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you are anlayzing the trade for the manager? arent you missing the big picture? this guy is a slug of a leader and has done NOTHING but make his team WORSE as manager...and you give ben an A for this???? LOLOLOLOL

[/QUOTE]

Whoa geo, slow down pal..."slug of a leader"?? I think it's a little premature to be making that type of statement, and this coming from someone who was not an advocate of the Sox hiring Farrell.

Farrell was a very good leader during his first tenure a PC. ALL the players, not just the pitchers, respected him. What did he do in Toronto that would have removed his leadership skills...and don't use the Escobar incident as your prime example.

The Blue Jays were not top heavy in talent after Bautista, Encarnarcion and Lawrie. The pitching was below average, including Romero who probably could be your lead argument since he regressed significantly in 2012. Maybe he had an off year, similar to a certain LHP that pitches for the local team.

Getting Farrell for the cost of Aviles, if that is the compensation, is reasonable to me as Mike had no future at SS with the Sox. If they take on the contract of Lind, as speculated, he might be a servicable 1B/OF/DH utility player next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Lind stinks. He was sent to the minors this year, he was so terrible.

Just what the Sox need. A slow, low OBP lefty DH type. Lind has 558Ks to 198 walks. He has a career .316 OBP and was actually under .300 OBP 2 of the last 3 seasons.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just what the Sox need. A slow, low OBP lefty DH type. Lind has 558Ks to 198 walks. He has a career .316 OBP and was actually under .300 OBP 2 of the last 3 seasons.

[/QUOTE]

Seriously, did you really think the Sox would get anything of value back from Toronto to take their manager?? If Lind does come over it was as a salary dump for Toronto and part of the price to pay to get the guy the Sox FO wanted. PERIOD!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

So you're mad at Boras for doing his job well?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

So Lind had a bad year - 12 hrs but 26 the previous and has been a good hitter. Who would you rather have hitting or should I say maybe hitting Sweeney or Kalsh. I think Lind can play first and hit homers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, part of the deal was not that Boston would be FORCED to put Lind into the lineup everyday.

What did people expect to get in a trade where all we sent out was Mike Aviles?  We got Adam Lind and got to finally stop reading stories about manager speculation.  I'm not even a Farrell fan, but I am glad this is over andready to move on to the next step, whatever that is....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think a lot of people understand how this agent/player thing works.  I've seen alot of Ellsbury/Boras posts, and a lot of others post about how they think the team should revise Ellsbury's role, but Boras would never allow it.

Scott Boras is an agent.  He works for (among others) Jacoby Ellsbury, not the other way around.   And more than that, Boras is a very, very good agent.  In fact, he is so good, people repeatedly overstate his role and importance to the economic state of the game.

And the problem here is that fans believe he is at fault.  They never want to blame the actual culprits - the players themselves.  Every player who has hired Scott Boaras did so for one reason and one reason only - to get as much money for as many years as possible.  (Some have reneged on that ideal midstream, such as Jered Weaver, Carlos Gonzalez, and Carlos Beltran, but they obviously felt different when they hired Boras.  Otheriwse, why hire him?  We all know his reputation and track record, so certainly players and GMs do as well.  Heck, we all know his one and only tactic.  And when Ellsbury hired Boras to represent him, he knew EXACTLY what he as doing.

So before you go sticking pins in your little Scott Boras doll and curing his existence, try and remember, that he only does what he is asked to do.  He does not tell teams not to bench his players, and he does not tell team not to switch their positions, and not to reduce.  Why?  Because he can't.  If players cannot demand these things, certainly their underlings cannot as well...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]I don't think a lot of people understand how this agent/player thing works.  I've seen alot of Ellsbury/Boras posts, and a lot of others post about how they think the team should revise Ellsbury's role, but Boras would never allow it.

Scott Boras is an agent.  He works for (among others) Jacoby Ellsbury, not the other way around.   And more than that, Boras is a very, very good agent.  In fact, he is so good, people repeatedly overstate his role and importance to the economic state of the game.

And the problem here is that fans believe he is at fault.  They never want to blame the actual culprits - the players themselves.  Every player who has hired Scott Boaras did so for one reason and one reason only - to get as much money for as many years as possible.  (Some have reneged on that ideal midstream, such as Jered Weaver, Carlos Gonzalez, and Carlos Beltran, but they obviously felt different when they hired Boras.  Otheriwse, why hire him?  We all know his reputation and track record, so certainly players and GMs do as well.  Heck, we all know his one and only tactic.  And when Ellsbury hired Boras to represent him, he knew EXACTLY what he as doing.

So before you go sticking pins in your little Scott Boras doll and curing his existence, try and remember, that he only does what he is asked to do.  He does not tell teams not to bench his players, and he does not tell team not to switch their positions, and not to reduce.  Why?  Because he can't.  If players cannot demand these things, certainly their underlings cannot as well... [/QUOTE]

I generally concur, but if blame needs to be assessed, the blame should lay equally at the feet of management that hands out the big contracts. The contracts are the result of arm's-length negotiation in which either side if free to walk away.

Fans complain that Scott Boras is ruining the game but owners are reaping ever-increasing revenues.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Boras does his job and does it well. As much as we see the tactics he uses and some of the ridiculous things he says, the owners buy into it and the players that hire him know he will, most of the time, get them the biggest deal. Not necessarily what the best deal/situation is for them, just the most money.

If some players werent so greedy they would realize that certain situations, although would pay more, arent the best fit. They are too blind with the fact of being paid the most and forget that when were talking about 100m and 80mm, theres really not much difference...

If I could find Pedeys quote when he signed his contract Id post it. It was something like

"What can I buy with 100mm that I can with 40mm?" "I dont need a Bentley, But can I set my family up for the rest of their lives?" "Absolutely."

Thats one reason I love this guy and the Sox need more guys like this. Some wish to bash him for saying what he said about Valentine. I say hes allowed a mistake, which he has since said he regrets and has learned from it.

Sorry to go off the subject a bit...

Sections
Shortcuts