Compensation for lost players???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Compensation for lost players???

Sad to see JE go, but whatever. We are going to need some new blood if we want to run for b2b rings. Who do we see as batting 1 in 2014.

Also, from what players do we recieve compensation?

Anything from JE, Salty, or Naps as it stands now?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Re: Compensation for lost players???

Think we get the 41 st pick of the Draft this year for Ells.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm not sure if we get the yankees first round draft choice though i think because of the player ranking system we do and Atlanta gets the sandwhich pick. As for a leadoff hitter JBJ or Victorino get that honor based on abilities or just because in JBJ's case.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Sox have the 29 pick and either the 30th or 31st depending who ranked higher him or McCann. The Yankees have no pick until the third round. If Drew or Napoli go the Sox will have the  28 pick and two in the low thirties. if both go to different teams they would have 27 pick either the 28 or 29 and two in the low thirties.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Sox have the 29th pick in round 1. Then they have the 41, 42, 43 picks  for Compensation Players. If they sign with different Team. Team that signs them loses a Pick starting in Round 1, then Round 2, and so on. Yanks lost there 1st rounder for McCann, 2nd Rounder for Ells.

Ells, Napoli, Drew. For offering QO, and they turned it down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yes we have the 29th pick, with about 9 more QO out there left to sign,  So we should get the 21st pick, maybe the 20th.  I don't think the 3 compensation picks will change much because if for every slot we move down from a team losing a pick another team with a compensation will slot in in front of us.  

Now a few things will happen here, first of all a few teams with protected picks will sign a Q.O. guy and only lose their 2nd round pick and teams like the Yankees who go out and sign a second guy attached to a Q.O. will lose their second rounder instead of their first and thus our comp picks will not move up.  So our first pick is the one that will really pick up some ground....I suspect our comp picks might be a few places higher as well. 

All of Seattle, New York, Kansas City, Cinncinati, Texas and Cleveland will pick before Bost in the compensation round.  So those picks should stay in the low 40's and possibly get a pick or two in the 30's....MAYBE. 

Either way, considering the strength of this draft, we should be setting ourselfs up for a strong haul. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Sox have the 29th pick in round 1. Then they have the 41, 42, 43 picks  for Compensation Players. If they sign with different Team. Team that signs them loses a Pick starting in Round 1, then Round 2, and so on. Yanks lost there 1st rounder for McCann, 2nd Rounder for Ells.

So the first 10 spots in the second round come before the sandwich round?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

For example lets say hypothetically the Indians go out and sign Choo.

They lose the 23rd pick moving us up to 28th. But they gain a pick in the supplemental round in front of us.  So our comp pick remains unmoved.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the only way our comp picks move up is if a player who is attached to a Q.O. doesn't sign with a team. (Kuroda?) 

Correction: If a team resigns there own Q.O. player then that slot disappears in front of us as well.  So Likely we end up picking somewhere around 20 with our first pick followed by 3 subsequent picks in the low 40's. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

First round.

Compensation round

Competitive balance lottery round A

Round 2

Competitive balance lottery round B.

Correct me if I'm wrong here. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

First 11 Picks are Protected, Toronto didn't sign their 1st Rounder last year. More Teams that sign Player with QO, the more we move up in the Draft, in 1st round. Also in 2nd round, now Sox move up one spot. 78th pick now, because Yanks lost their 2nd rounder.

Anyway Keep signing Yanks. Next is a 3rd rounder in a DEEP DRAFT.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

First 11 Picks are Protected, Toronto didn't sign their 1st Rounder last year. More Teams that sign Player with QO, the more we move up in the Draft, in 1st round. Also in 2nd round, now Sox move up one spot. 78th pick now, because Yanks lost their 2nd rounder.

Anyway Keep signing Yanks. Next is a 3rd rounder in a DEEP DRAFT.

I don't really know how much the second round picks will move up.  For every team that gains a Q.O. pick a team loses their 1st or 2nd.  So unless a team like NY signs it's 3rd Q.O. guy or St. Louis were to sign two...are 2nd round pick is going to remain relatively where it is. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox currently have the 10th, 11th and 12th picks of the sandwich round:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131111&content_id=63845866&c_id=mlb

The Red Sox first-round and sandwich-round picks did not move up because the Ellsbury signing resulted only in the Yankees forfeiting their second-round pick after the Yankees forfeited their first-round pick for signing Brian McCann.

I was wrong.

For signing Jacoby Ellsbury, the Yankees would forfeit their highest compensatory sandwich-round pick if Robinson Cano, Hiroki Kuroda or Curtis Granderson sign elsewhere. See Article XX, Sec. B(4)(c)(i) on Page 89 of the MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement:

(c) Signing Club.

i. A Club that signs one Qualified Free Agent who is subject to compensation shall forfeit its highest available selection in the next Rule 4 Draft. A Club that signs more than one Qualified Free Agent subject to compensation shall forfeit its highest remaining selection in the next Rule 4 Draft for each additional Qualified Free Agent it signs. Notwithstanding the above, a Club shall not be required to forfeit a selection in the top ten of the first round of the Rule 4 Draft, and its highest available selection shall be deemed its first selection following the tenth selection of the first round.

http://www.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

ignore

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

First round.

Compensation round

Competitive balance lottery round A

Round 2

Competitive balance lottery round B.

Correct me if I'm wrong here. 

I believe your are correct:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130717&content_id=53967108

So the only way the Sox Comp picks move up, is if a team resigns it's own player attached to a Q.O. 

So those picks could potentially move up 9 more slots.....but moving up 1 spot, maybe two is more realistic. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Red Sox first-round and sandwich-round picks did not move up because the Ellsbury signing resulted only in the Yankees forfeiting their second-round pick after the Yankees forfeited their first-round pick for signing Brian McCann.

Who have the first 9 sandwich picks?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

32. Mariners (Morales) 33. Yankees (Cano/Granderson/Kuroda) 34. Yankees (Cano/Granderson/Kuroda) 35. Yankees (Cano/Granderson/Kuroda) 36. Royals (Santana) 37. Reds (Choo) 38. Rangers (Cruz) 39. Indians (Jimenez) 40. Braves (McCann) 41. Red Sox (Drew/Ellsbury/Napoli) 42. Red Sox (Drew/Ellsbury/Napoli) 43. Red Sox (Drew/Ellsbury/Napoli) 44. Cardinals (Beltran)

This is the order now as it stands.  I don't believe any of those picks will move up unless one of those guys retires or signs with their team. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

All the draft rules confuse me, isn't the loss of a first round draft choice based upon the ranking of the player being signed? For example we all know that both McCann and Ellsbury are the top two players at their position who were both tendered QO's and refused the offers, doesn't the higher rated player garner the first round pick? As I'm pretty sure the rankings for this years FA's were Cano,Ellsbury,Choo and then McCann, so this is where I get confused if your ranking is higher isn't the team you left supposed to get the first round pick or is it just based upon which order you sign the player regardless of the players free agent ranking?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

All the draft rules confuse me, isn't the loss of a first round draft choice based upon the ranking of the player being signed? For example we all know that both McCann and Ellsbury are the top two players at their position who were both tendered QO's and refused the offers, doesn't the higher rated player garner the first round pick? As I'm pretty sure the rankings for this years FA's were Cano,Ellsbury,Choo and then McCann, so this is where I get confused if your ranking is higher isn't the team you left supposed to get the first round pick or is it just based upon which order you sign the player regardless of the players free agent ranking?

The former team does not get the signing team's unprotected first-round pick. The signing team merely forfeits its unprotected first-round pick (the pick simply disappears and all following picks move up a notch).

If a qualifying offer was declined, the former team gets a compensatory draft pick in the sandwich round that follows the first round. The prior season's reverse standings, not by the rankings of players, determines the draft order of the sandwich round.

FWIW, the Seattle Mariners are the only team that would lose a higher draft pick for signing a second qualified-offer free agent than they would for signing their first qualified-offer free agent. Because their first-round pick is protected, the Mariners would lose their second-round pick for the first signing and their sandwich-round pick for the second signing (assuming Kendrys Morales vests the M's sandwich-round pick by signing elsewhere).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A team signing a QO free agent loses its pick. That pick does not go directly to the team losing that player.

If the team is a bottom 10 team, their pick is protected from loss, and they'd lose their 2nd round pick instead.

So, each team that loses a first round pick, we move up one notch. Since the Yanks have signed 2, they can only lose 1 first round pick, and we have moved up 1 slot.

Our best hope is that the rest of the QO FAs sign with different teams that do not have protected picks. That way, we could move up to about #22.

Our sandwich picks will come after the shortened 1st round, so some picks could end up being in the 20's or low 30's, so essentially, we could end up with 4 picks below #35 or so. (Our 1st pick plus 3 sandwich picks for losing 3 QO FAs).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:\

A team signing a QO free agent loses its pick. That pick does not go directly to the team losing that player.

If the team is a bottom 10 team, their pick is protected from loss, and they'd lose their 2nd round pick instead.

So, each team that loses a first round pick, we move up one notch. Since the Yanks have signed 2, they can only lose 1 first round pick, and we have moved up 1 slot.

Our best hope is that the rest of the QO FAs sign with different teams that do not have protected picks. That way, we could move up to about #22.

Our sandwich picks will come after the shortened 1st round, so some picks could end up being in the 20's or low 30's, so essentially, we could end up with 4 picks below #35 or so. (Our 1st pick plus 3 sandwich picks for losing 3 QO FAs).

The Red Sox would lose an accrued sandwich-round pick if 1) the Sox sign Mike Napoli or Stephen Drew, or 2) the Sox sign two free agents who had declined qualifying offers from other teams.

See Article XX, Sec. B(4)(c)(i) on Page 89 of the MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement:

http://www.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

So what I'm reading here is they changed the rules! Because I know before if a team signed a player from pool A the team who lost the player was awarded the team signing the players draft picks based upon the players ranking in Pool A, example Ellsbury is the #2 in pool A and McCann was #4 so the first round pick would be given to the Sox and the Braves would pick up the 2nd round pick under the old format. Under the new one the Yankees just lose there 1rst and second round picks and two of their compensatory slots. meaning the Sox get one spot and the Braves get the other no matter what happens with Cano or Granderson? Or do the comp picks remain when Cano and Graderson leave?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

32. Mariners (Morales) 33. Yankees (Cano/Granderson/Kuroda) 34. Yankees (Cano/Granderson/Kuroda) 35. Yankees (Cano/Granderson/Kuroda) 36. Royals (Santana) 37. Reds (Choo) 38. Rangers (Cruz) 39. Indians (Jimenez) 40. Braves (McCann) 41. Red Sox (Drew/Ellsbury/Napoli) 42. Red Sox (Drew/Ellsbury/Napoli) 43. Red Sox (Drew/Ellsbury/Napoli) 44. Cardinals (Beltran)

This is the order now as it stands.  I don't believe any of those picks will move up unless one of those guys retires or signs with their team. 

Well the Mariners will lose their pick if they sign Cano because their 1st rounder is protected? And the Yankees just lost one according to hill.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

So what I'm reading here is they changed the rules! Because I know before if a team signed a player from pool A the team who lost the player was awarded the team signing the players draft picks based upon the players ranking in Pool A, example Ellsbury is the #2 in pool A and McCann was #4 so the first round pick would be given to the Sox and the Braves would pick up the 2nd round pick under the old format. Under the new one the Yankees just lose there 1rst and second round picks and two of their compensatory slots. meaning the Sox get one spot and the Braves get the other no matter what happens with Cano or Granderson? Or do the comp picks remain when Cano and Graderson leave?

o what I'm reading here is they changed the rules!

yes yr B4 last

Under the new one the Yankees just lose there 1rst and second round picks

yes

and two of their compensatory slots.

no

as a matter of fact the yanks signing ells over grandy  improved their draft standing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Well the Mariners will lose their pick if they sign Cano because their 1st rounder is protected? And the Yankees just lost one according to hill.

I'm not following you

but if the mariner sign cano and if their 1 round pick is protected

they will lose their 2nd round pick

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Yankees forfeited their unprotected first-round pick with the signing of Brian McCann.

The Yankees will forfeit a compensatory sandwich-round pick with the signing of Jacoby Ellsbury UNLESS the Yankees re-sign Robinson Cano, Hiroki Kuroda AND Curtis Granderson, in which case the Yankees will forfeit their second-round draft pick because the three sandwich-round picks never vested.

If Seattle signs one qualified-offer free agent, the Mariners forfeit their second-round draft pick because their first-round pick is protected. If the Mariners sign a second qualified-offer free agent, the M's forfeit their compensatory sandwich-round draft pick, assuming that pick vests with Kendrys Morales signing with another team. If Seattle re-signs Morales, a signing of a second qualified-offer free agent from another team would result in the Mariners forfeiting their Competitive Balance Lottery pick after the second round [because 1) their first-round pick is protected, 2) their second-round pick was forfeited with the first signing and 3) the accrued compensatory sandwich-round pick never vested because Morales was re-signed]. 

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130717&content_id=53967108

The system is anything but simple.

The current MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement has been in effect since May 2012.

Sections
Shortcuts