Compensation for lost players???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Compensation for lost players???

In response to hill55's comment:

The Yankees forfeited their unprotected first-round pick with the signing of Brian McCann.

The Yankees will forfeit a compensatory sandwich-round pick with the signing of Jacoby Ellsbury UNLESS the Yankees re-sign Robinson Cano, Hiroki Kuroda AND Curtis Granderson, in which case the Yankees will forfeit their second-round draft pick because the three sandwich-round picks never vested.

If Seattle signs one qualified-offer free agent, the Mariners forfeit their second-round draft pick because their first-round pick is protected. If the Mariners sign a second qualified-offer free agent, the M's forfeit their compensatory sandwich-round draft pick, assuming that pick vests with Kendrys Morales signing with another team. If Seattle re-signs Morales, a signing of a second qualified-offer free agent from another team would result in the Mariners forfeiting their Competitive Balance Lottery pick after the second round.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130717&content_id=53967108

The system is anything but simple.

You can say that again.

This was the one area I was a little confused on.  I know the Yankees lost their first round pick when they signed McCann....but I'm not 100% entirely sure if they lose their second round pick or a comp pick next.  Are the comp picks protected?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

You can say that again.

This was the one area I was a little confused on.  I know the Yankees lost their first round pick when they signed McCann....but I'm not 100% entirely sure if they lose their second round pick or a comp pick next.  Are the comp picks protected?

Comp picks are not protected. See Article XX, Section B(4)(c)(i) on Page 89 of the MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement:

http://www.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You can say that again.

Comp picks are not protected. See Article XX, Section B(4)(c)(i) on Page 89 of the MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement:

Wow...even the language there is a little hard to follow, but I think You're right.  That is technically good news (for a team that values draft picks and has them) for the Sox because it means there there comp picks can move up more.  I still don't think the comp picks will move all too much, but there will be some movement. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

You can say that again.

good job hill

I along with a few writers thought they lost their 2nd pick

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Correction: If Seattle signs one qualified-offer free agent, the Mariners will forfeit their compensatory sandwich-round draft pick (unless that pick disappears with Kendrys Morales re-signing with Seattle, in which case the M's forfeit their second-round pick).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

So what I'm reading here is they changed the rules! Because I know before if a team signed a player from pool A the team who lost the player was awarded the team signing the players draft picks based upon the players ranking in Pool A, example Ellsbury is the #2 in pool A and McCann was #4 so the first round pick would be given to the Sox and the Braves would pick up the 2nd round pick under the old format. Under the new one the Yankees just lose there 1rst and second round picks and two of their compensatory slots. meaning the Sox get one spot and the Braves get the other no matter what happens with Cano or Granderson? Or do the comp picks remain when Cano and Graderson leave?

There is no A Pool or B Pool anymore. Yes, the rules have changed.

No team gets another team's pick anymore.

It's really not as complicated as it sounds.

Teams losing a player that was offered a QO but refused it get a sandwich pick, if that player signs with any other team. Only players offered a QO and refusing it get you a pick.

Teams signing a QO player gets a bit complicated. If you sign a QO player you lose a pick. I just goes away. It does not go to the team that signed your player. If you are a bottom 10 team, you do not lose your 1st round pick by signing a QO FA: it is "protected", so you lose your second round pick or a sandwich pick, if you have one. If you sign 2 QO free agents, you lose your first pick (if it is not protected) and a later pick.

There are only 13 players who were offered a QO and declined it:

Beltran, Cano, Choo, Cruz, Drew, Ellsbury, Grandy, Jimenez, Kuroda, McCann, Morales, Napoli, & Santana

3 are our players, so we will get 3 sandwich picks (between 1st & 2nd rounds) if other teams sign our guys. If we sign one of our own players, we lose the sandwich pick. If we sign another team's QO FA, we lose our first round pick.

The Yankees have signed 2 QO players, so they lose their first round pick. Everyone below them in draft order moves up one slot.

It is possible the Sox could, if they do not sign any QO FAs including their own, move up 11 more slots if 11 different teams (all without protected picks) sign the remaining 11 QO FAs. Also, if 12 teams have lost their 1st round pick, the sandwich pick round begins directly after the 18 teams (30-12=18) make thier first round selections. The best the Sox could do is get pick #18, and then 3 sandwich picks between #19 and 30 (not likely).

I hope that makes it clearer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Correction: If Seattle signs one qualified-offer free agent, the Mariners will forfeit their compensatory sandwich-round draft pick (unless that pick disappears with Kendrys Morales re-signing with Seattle, in which case the M's forfeit their second-round pick).

So I was right in my thought? The Red Sox benefit if Cano signs with the Mariners in multiple ways then.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

So I was right in my thought? The Red Sox benefit if Cano signs with the Mariners in multiple ways then.

We benefit a little more if he signs with another team that does not have a protected 1st round pick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:[QUOTE]

If the Mariners sign Robinson Cano, the Red Sox first-round pick does not move up because Seattle's first-round pick is protected. The Red Sox compensatory sandwich-round picks would move up with Seattle's forfeiture of its sandwich-round pick by signing Cano (or by losing the sandwich-round pick with the re-signing of Kendrys Morales, shifting Seattle's draft pick forfeiture to the second round).

Of course, the Red Sox would have no sandwich-round picks to move up in the unlikely event the Sox re-sign Mike Napoli and Stephen Drew (extinguishing two sandwich-round draft picks) and sign two qualified-offer free agents (forfeiting a first-round pick and a sandwich-round pick).

I'm no accountant, but I think a compensatory draft pick accrues when a player declines a qualifying offer, but the compensatory draft pick does not vest until the player signs with another team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Do you lose Draft picks now if you go over 189 million with new CBA?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Do you lose Draft picks now if you go over 189 million with new CBA?

NO, you just get taxed up the whazoo, and I think you lose some revenue sharing dollars.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

If Hiroki Kuroda re-signs with the Yankees, as reported, the Red Sox compensatory sandwich-round draft picks will move up one notch because the Yankees' compensatory sandwich-round draft pick for Kuroda will not vest:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131111&content_id=63845866&c_id=mlb

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Hiroki Kuroda re-signs with the Yankees, as reported, the Red Sox compensatory sandwich-round draft picks will move up one notch because the Yankees' compensatory sandwich-round draft pick for Kuroda will not vest:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131111&content_id=63845866&c_id=mlb

The Yanks need Kuroda and/or Tanaka.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

We keep moving up in Comp Round, and 2nd round.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

You can say that again.

good job hill

IDK hill

Mark Feinsand ‏@FeinsandNYDN 5m

An MLB spokesman just said that the Yankees will not have to give up either sandwich pick for Ellsbury. They will give up their 2nd rounder.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Seattle's pick was protected as was the Mets for signing Grandy.

Our second and later rounds move up a notch, but it doesn't help us as much as if a non-protected team signs a QO free agent.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

You can say that again.

good job hill

IDK hill

Mark Feinsand ‏@FeinsandNYDN 5m

An MLB spokesman just said that the Yankees will not have to give up either sandwich pick for Ellsbury. They will give up their 2nd rounder.

Feinsand has corrected himself:

https://twitter.com/FeinsandNYDN

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Feinsand has corrected himself:

https://twitter.com/FeinsandNYDN

[/QUOTE]

Ha ha '

I should have never doubted U hill

Sections
Shortcuts