Congrats to....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Congrats to....

GM all..congrats to David Ortiz, the 2011 Roberto Clemente Award winner.....http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111020&content_id=25725548&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Congrats to....

follows Wake as consecutive Red Sox receipients

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Wait, I thought Ortiz was a selfish, whiny me-first guy ...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

THEO.... FOR PULLING OFF THE GREAT ESCAPE, SINCE STEVE MCQUEEN !!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Congrats to....:
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    no chance he referenced BDC during his acceptance speech huh?...Tongue out

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

3rd straight winner from the ALE....(Tim Wakefield, Derek Jeter)

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Yes, Congrats to Ortiz !! It would have been even more wonderful had he helped out the kids on his team as well !!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Posted by SpacemanEephus

Nice!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Congrats to....:
    GM all..congrats to David Ortiz the 2011 Roberto Clemente Award winner..... http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111020&content_id=25725548&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
    Posted by jete02fan

Mighty sportin' of yah, Jete.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Congrats to.... : Mighty sportin' of yah, Jete.
    Posted by SinceYaz
    most welcome Yaz, my favorite MLB award given, no matter the winner...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

yea yea...He does some community service.  He still only hit one homer in september and was basically limited to singles in the month. He bites and should not be back here in the spring.
    Posted by jackbu

So, a poor month of September totally trumps a total year line of .309/29/96 with a .953 OPS?  

Interesting.  

Not saying that his poor September should not weigh in as a factor in negotiations.  But, he bites?  really.  He was a beast last year.  I certainly want him back as DH.  I suppose you would ditch Lester and Beckett too huh?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Did I miss something?  I thought the Clemete award was given out for humanitarian reasons and wasn't based on AVG/HR/RBI stats.

I'd never take away anyone's right to trash someone for a perceived lack of performance on the field, but let's give credit where credit is due here and NOT confuse what he did ON the field with all the good he's done OFF the field.

JMO

And BTW, Jete.  Thanks for bringing it up on this board.  Kinda sad that a Yankee fan has to do it though.  :-(

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Geez, so let's trash Ortiz for winning one of the most significant awards MLB gives to the player who most emulates one of the greatest players in MLB history who died in a plane crash taking aid to a country in need?

No question I am a cynical, old time, long suffering Red Sox fan, but if you can't stop for a moment and bask in the positive vibe of Ortiz winning this award, shame on you. After all the myriad problems we have had starting in late August, to me, Papi getting the Clemente award finally sheds a positive ray on the Red Sox.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Geez, so let's trash Ortiz for winning one of the most significant awards MLB gives to the player who most emulates one of the greatest players in MLB history who died in a plane crash taking aid to a country in need? No question I am a cynical, old time, long suffering Red Sox fan, but if you can't stop for a moment and bask in the positive vibe of Ortiz winning this award, shame on you. After all the myriad problems we have had starting in late August, to me, Papi getting the Clemente award finally sheds a positive ray on the Red Sox.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Re: Congrats to.... :
    Posted by Rutland76

For a fleeting second I was thinking about taking that image and making it my new avatarSurprised

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Manny: David, someday they will look back and they will say..."why can't we get clutch hitters like Manny and Papi anymore?"

Ortiz: And then what , we come back and play again?

Manny: No , you coconut brain!!!...we don't come back , we'll both be really old and gray. You know , they even like Bill Buckner again!!!

Ortiz: Buckner didn't come back to play , did he?

Manny: No, but they had a day for him.

Ortiz: That's nice,real nice!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Congrats to.... : most welcome Yaz, my favorite MLB award given, no matter the winner...
    Posted by jete02fan

Hey Jete ... yeah, I agree with that award. Roberto Clemente was my favorite player growing up, though he died when I was only 7. Cried for hours when I heard. A great man, to be sure. Any award with his name on it is gold to me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Congrats to.... : So, a poor month of September totally trumps a total year line of .309/29/96 with a .953 OPS?   Interesting.   Not saying that his poor September should not weigh in as a factor in negotiations.  But, he bites?  really.  He was a beast last year.  I certainly want him back as DH.  I suppose you would ditch Lester and Beckett too huh?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

I lost a post saying about the same thing, Spaceman.

Papi hits over 20 points higher than his lifetime average, his OBP is twenty points higher than his lifetime average, just misses another 30/100  ...

If he were in the NL and just starting, we'd have a 1000 posts here about "How do we trade for .....?"

I am just hoping the guys was clowning around.

Otherwise his name should be jackbs not jackbu.

:::::

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Congrats to....:
    GM all..congrats to David Ortiz, the 2011 Roberto Clemente Award winner..... http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111020&content_id=25725548&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
    Posted by jete02fan

Classy jete, the big guy had some tough years but he came back with a huge effort this season, it was well deserved as was Jacoby's big rebound season.

Sections
Shortcuts