Congratulations Moonslav!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Congratulations Moonslav!

While I'm sure Moonslav would have liked to be wrong so that the Red Sox would be playing playoff baseball today, I think he deserves some kudos for accurately predicting at the outset of the season that the Tampa Bay Rays would be playing ball in October. A lot of people called him crazy and he got it right.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Congratulations Moonslav!

yes...a fine prediction...of course they had a great manager...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Rays deserve credit, but the fact is we handed it to them.  The Rays were 17-10 in September, 6-1 against us, and incredibly, only 11-9 (.550) against everybody else. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Maddon sent Dan Johnson to the plate with specific instructions. Few would have batted for Sam Fuld. Not so sure other managers would have done that. Might have ended with a Tampa loss.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I said they'd be in the race for the WC, not that they's win it. I said they would be worse than last year, but would win 90-92 games. They won 91. I said they would not miss Crawford as much as many felt they would, because they would give Joyce more PAs and bring up Jennings. They should have brought up Jennings earlier, but both of these guys had OPS over .800 and better than CC's career OPS in TB. I said Hellickson was better than Garza. I said Tb management had a way of finding cheap pen arms that always seem to overachieve. I said they would not miss Carlos pena, because he had had an awful 2010 season. (Kotchman did a fantastic job!) I said losing Bartlett was huge, but that by being able to move Zobrist to 2B and Sean Rodriguez to SS, their keystone combo would be better in 2011 than 2010 overall. Having more PAs from Joyce, Jennings and newly added Fuld in the OF, Zobrist was able to improve the IF production gretly.

Alex Cobb and Matt Moore helped some this year, but I expect even better things next year.

TB is set up nicely for next year and years to come. My guess is they will trade upton this winter and Shields next winter or teh one after(He makes just $7M in 2012, $9M in 2013, and $12M in 2014 - all 3 years with club options and cheap buyouts), but they may not miss a beat. This winter's FAs are much less impactful than last year's:
    Damon ($5.5M)
    Peralta ($925K)
    Juan Cruz ($850K)
    Kotchman ($750K)

Upton is up for his final arb (currently at $4.6M).
    JP Howell also ($1.1M). He may be gone as well, but no biggy.
    The only other arbs are:
    Sonnanstine (2nd year of 3)
    Niemann (1 of 3)
    Rodriguez (1 of 4)
    Joyce (1 of 4)
    None will get huge raises. 

This team also got a record number of top 80 draft picks this year, in what was believed to be one of the deepest drafts in MLb history. They also signed all of them.

In more ways than one, the Rays are "not going away".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Moon, no need to have to explain yourself - you were f'n nostradamus on this topic....well done

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks geo, but after the Yanks played so well into August, I had my doubts. The fact that TB beat out the Sox not the Yanks was my biggest mistake of projections for 2011.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Great assessment of TB Moon!  Their hitting leaves a bit to be desired however the pitching is only getting better next year.  Watching this young kid Moore pitch against the Yankees and now in the first game of the ALDS - he is the real deal - 95-97 with no effort.  Going to be very hard for the Yanks and Sox to stay on top of things in the years to come.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Congratulations Moonslav!:
    [QUOTE]Great assessment of TB Moon!  Their hitting leaves a bit to be desired however the pitching is only getting better next year.  Watching this young kid Moore pitch against the Yankees and now in the first game of the ALDS - he is the real deal - 95-97 with no effort.  Going to be very hard for the Yanks and Sox to stay on top of things in the years to come.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Yes, but unlike several other teams (and posters), the Rays know it is ALL ABOUT pitching. We scored a 168 more runs than TB. We were first in Runs and OPS (.086 better than TB). Forget the offense. We could lose Papi and Youk and still score more than TB. 

Young starters:
    The Rays have Price, Hellickson, Moore and Cobb: we have Lester & Buch.
    The Rays have Shileds, Niemann and Davis: we have Beckett, Lackey and Dice-K (older and not as good).
    We are light years behind these guys going into next year in this area. Not addressing this issue will not change the reults.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Congratulations Moonslav! : Yes, but unlike several other teams (and posters), the Rays know it is ALL ABOUT pitching. We scored a 168 more runs than TB. We were first in Runs and OPS (.086 better than TB). Forget the offense. We could lose Papi and Youk and still score more than TB.  Young starters: The Rays have Price, Hellickson, Moore and Cobb: we have Lester & Buch. The Rays have Shileds, Niemann and Davis: we have Beckett, Lackey and Dice-K (older and not as good). We are light years behind these guys going into next year in this area. Not addressing this issue will not change the reults.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    People on this site always say of course they get great players with their high draft picks, but what amazes me is that M Moore was an 8th round pick, Hellickson 4th round, and Shields 16th round.
    They obviously do their homework.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and the deal to get Hawpe just for a type B draft pick.

They traded Kazmir just before his implosion.
    They traded Garza, who still has a chance to shine, but did little for the Cubs
    They traded very little to get Soriano, then got a type A after a spectaculat season from him. He went on to get hurt for the Yanks.
    They traded Bartlett for some good prospects and then improved their keystone combination by moving Zobrist to 2B and sliding SR to SS.
    Crawford gave them a type A then tanked it.
    It's like TB is a jinx on players after they leave!

I know much of this is luck, but when it happens over and over, you begin to wonder if this team has the uncanny ability to know when "enough is enough". 

I wish they could pick some cheap pen guys for us next year. They keep surprising everyone with good pen work that was lousy oin paper in April.

Even if you took away Shields and Price, I'd like their starting 5:
    Hellickson
    Niemann
    WDavis
    Moore
    Cobb
    (Sonnanstine)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Did the TB Rays "go away" today?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

No, and the Red Sox did not win two in a row, didn't take the weekend series, and did not make the play-offs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just checkin'.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

the fact is we handed it to them

Correct. It wasn't about the Rays. They went away. It was the historic collapse of the Red Sox. And the face of that collapse was a ceremonial 200 win seeking loser named Wakefield. Called a fierce competitor by the idiot who is singing the praises of a team who backed into the playoffs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]The Rays deserve credit, but the fact is we handed it to them.  The Rays were 17-10 in September, 6-1 against us, and incredibly, only 11-9 (.550) against everybody else. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

That does not matter, the fact is they did beat us 6-1, and they won 5 straight games at the end of the season. They came back in a must win game down 7 runs against the best team in the AL.  

Saying they did not play well because they were only 11-9 against the other teams is not any different then saying the Red Sox with Tek are better because of a .633 winning percentage... does that mean the Sox would have played .600 ball all year if Tek caught every game? No freaking way.

Its the same if one proclaims we had the best offense in the league because when looking at the base stats that is correct, but it does not tell you the whole story (ex. 2-72 after losing in the 7th).... 11-9 for the Rays does not tell the whole truth. They played their azzes off.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

On July 7th the Rays PCT was esentially where it was at the end, the Sox surged some from the 7th and then fell like a rock. Either way I give anytime who can maintain a .550 most of the season props. Few teams can do that.   I believe the Rays dropped a bit later on but they fought all the way back - 

On August 7th the Rays were 11 back and at .522, Boston was in 1st at .619... the Rays had to make up nealry as much ground as the Sox had to lose. Surely they were not given the WC.

July 7

TeamWLPCTGB
    NY Yankees5134.600-
    Boston5135.5930.5
    Tampa Bay4839.5524.0

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Any team down 9 games into September is given the WC.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Softy said the Rays would finish a "distant thrid". 

He's got an excuse for everything he gets wrong. He can never admit mistakes of other people correct judgements.

He said TB would win 87-89 and the WC would win at or over 94.
    I said TB would win 90-92 and the WC would win 92-94.

He wants to throw out the Sox collapse like it doesn't count.
    He said the Rays would wilt in the dogdays.
    He said the the Rays easy early season and tough late season schedule might keep them "mathematically in it until the last 2 weeks, but then they will fade away fast."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

He wants to throw out the Sox collapse like it doesn't count.

It counts, and it is the #1 story of 2011 MLB season. Rays and back in due to Yankees AAA last 3 games is a footnote.

Rays were 9 back at end of dogdays.

If Yankees don't tank to punch out Red Sox, Rays win 88 to 89.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Congratulations Moonslav! : That does not matter, the fact is they did beat us 6-1, and they won 5 straight games at the end of the season. They came back in a must win game down 7 runs against the best team in the AL.   Saying they did not play well because they were only 11-9 against the other teams is not any different then saying the Red Sox with Tek are better because of a .633 winning percentage... does that mean the Sox would have played .600 ball all year if Tek caught every game? No freaking way. Its the same if one proclaims we had the best offense in the league because when looking at the base stats that is correct, but it does not tell you the whole story (ex. 2-72 after losing in the 7th).... 11-9 for the Rays does not tell the whole truth. They played their azzes off.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Burrito, I don't disagree that the Rays played well and the 6-1 record against us was obviously a huge factor.

But as Epstein pointed out, all the Red Sox had to do was go 9-18 in September to hold the playoff spot.  All they had to do was win one-third of their games.  The Rays could not have done this without an epic, historic collapse on our part. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

And it comes back to the Yanks tanking it in the last 3 games. Nice les paul. Glad you are on top of the facts.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Maybe it started when the Yanks skipped CC's start againt Boston, I know Nova is good but he's still a rookie. Surely most Sox fans forgot what a cheese line-up NY rolled out against Boston on the final Sunday.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The collapse began on the very first day of September, in the rubber game of the Yankees series at Fenway.  We had Lester going against Burnett.  Looked like a mismatch in our favor.  Not this time.

Sections
Shortcuts