Congratulations to Oakland Athletics and Coco Crisp: 2013 AL West Champs

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: Congratulations to Oakland Athletics and Coco Crisp: 2013 AL West Champs

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Crisp leads A's to win today with his 22nd homer of the season and his 20th stolen base. Good race for homefield, between massive payroll Red Sox and Blue Plate Special A's. 

=======================================

I am happy the A's won & I do like all the Red Sox alumni on their team, especially Coco Crisp, whom I wish we had kept and as we had Ellsbury, he could have played left or right field and we could have avoided JD Drew & C(rap) Crawford & saved a lot of money.

My happiness is also based on hoping we win the best record in the American League and the A's beat Detroit and we get the extra game at home although living in SF area, I like being able to see the Sox live as much as possible and do plan to go to a couple of games proundly wearing my Boston Strong T-Shirt and "Bee" on my cap. There will be at least 25%, I'm guessing , New England expats at the game.

Hoping for a Sox-LA world series where I'll be happy to drive the 400 miles to LA-LA land  to see us hopefully beat some other alumni, CC Crawford, Beckett, Gonzalez & Punto and I always liked Gonzo & Punto too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Love Coco! Congrats to the whole team. Can't believe how many Sox players wound up there. If we have to play them, it might wind up seemingly like Red Sox vs. ex-Red Sox. lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Coco is OK, for a part-time player, with a career .739 OPS. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Part-time CF'er with 22 homers and 20 steals is a part-time player with good value at 7 million. The A's are repeating as division champs on a tiny budget. Crisp is a leader and a winner. Handled the bad treatment from Red Sox fans and management with nothing but class. 

Any bad treatment he got from fans was for playing bad.  .720 OPS and 21 HR in 3 years.

How does Softlaw treat Red Sox players who underperform?  LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Jed Lowrie is having a fine season for the A's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Red Sox are always going to have a 'massive payroll' as long as they have 'massive revenue'.  If you've got it you should spend it.

Softlaw needs to switch to a team with a small payroll.  Actually he probably already has.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Jed Lowrie is having a fine season for the A's.

Chris Carter for Lowrie was another great trade by Billy Beane.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The A's are only 1.5 games behind the Red Sox for homefield throughout the playoffs.  

Boston plays Colorado and Baltimore while the A's play the Angels and Mariners.  

Oakland has the 4th lowest payroll at $65 million.  That's only $20 million more than what Mayweather made in his last fight.   LOL

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Sooooooooo.......a guy/girl posts on a RED SOX forum congratulating a team for making the playoffs...whom the Sox could be playing in said playoffs.  Not sure what everybody else thinks but to me that's called a 'troll' in the forum/cyber world.

Did you get booted from the A's forum Softy so you decided to come back over here?  I'm sorry that the A's are the Rays of the west and never really do anything in the playoffs.  Maybe once the A's are bounced from the playoffs again you will be invited back to that forum.  For now though....can you go away?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Congratulations to the latest entry in the book of who cares!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The West is really bad. The Sox would easily won 100 games playing the Angels, Mariners, and Astros instead of Orioles, Yankees, and Blue Jays.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

redsoxfireman is leaving out two salient facts when comparing the Sox to the Athletics.

The first is that Bill James, the creator of sabermetrics on which Billy Beane's revolutionary approach to building a team is based, has worked for the Sox since John Henry became owner.  So the two clubs actually use a lot of the same principles. 

The second is that the Sox do in fact exist in a large market.  They have averaged around 3 million per year attendance for over ten years, and because Fenway only holds about 37,000, they can charge premium prices.  Plus the TV revenues.  Consequently, the fans expect ownership to spend at least $100M per year on salaries.  In Tampa--I don't know about Oakland--fielding a competitive team has meant nothing to the fans who continue not to go to Rays games or watch them on TV.  In Boston fielding a competitive team means a lot and will affect revenues. 

That said, I believe very strongly that the Athletics success is very good for MLB and for MLB players.  In that one scene in Moneyball the Hatteberg character is offered a chance to continue playing in the Show for $285,000 if he will switch to 1B from catcher.  That translates in Boston to Napoli getting a chance to do the same thing but for a lot more money, $13M, but it has worked for Boston as well as it did for Oakland if not better. 

If Oakland and Boston play in the ALCS, it will be a good matchup.  Both teams have good pitching and good hitting.  Oakland might have a chip on their shoulders, but so might the Sox after having missed the playoffs for 4 straight years. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Congratulations to the latest entry in the book of who cares!

You cared enough to reply.   LOL   Wink

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I didn't realize Okajima was pitching in Oakland.

I lost count how many former Red Sox players are playing for the A's.  LOL

1. Coco Crisp
    2. Moss
    3. Reddick
    4. Okajima
    5. Lowrie
    6. Former Red Sox pitching coach, Curt Young who went back to Oakland after only a year with the Red Sox

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Cool Beans..... get it? Beans, Beans as in Bill Bean. Ha ha ha ha ! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!  

That sounds like a joke I'd make.

Tongue Out

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Crisp leads A's to win today with his 22nd homer of the season and his 20th stolen base. Good race for homefield, between massive payroll Red Sox and Blue Plate Special A's. 

It's too bad Crisp has never played more than 145 in a season and has played 130 games or less eight times (I won't count his call-up year when he played 32) in 11 full seasons; has played 120 games or less six times and 105 games or less four times. He might have had a great career had he been able to stay healthy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

[QUOTE]

It's too bad Crisp has never played more than 145 in a season and has played 130 games or less eight times (I won't count his call-up year when he played 32) in 11 full seasons; has played 120 games or less six times and 105 games or less four times. He might have had a great career had he been able to stay healthy.

[/QUOTE]

Yep.....not good at all.  $7,000,000 for what essentially is a part time player just seems to be a rip off.  Shocked the A's got duped into that....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Congratulate Coco Crisp? And hammer David Ortiz at any opportunity available. Softy is the definition of a bozo.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yep.....not good at all.  $7,000,000 for what essentially is a part time player just seems to be a rip off.  Shocked the A's got duped into that....

[/QUOTE]

I was half joking and half serious about my post because softy is always bringing up Ellsbury's health. But it is sort of true. Crisp has been somewhat injury prone in his career.

I liked Crisp. He's great defensively and has been a decent hitter overall when healthy. Glad to see he's doing well this year.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Since becoming a starter in MLB at the beginning of the season, how many 18 game seasons has Crisp had. Ellsbury has had one, so far. Ellsbury makes Crisp look like Cal Ripken.

Glad you're back, always good for a laugh.

Crisp and Ellsbury are nearly identical in average games played per year.  If you look at 162 game avg., Ellsbury is better in nearly every category.