Continue the dysfunction - hire Bobby Valentine as manager

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Continue the dysfunction - hire Bobby Valentine as manager

couldn't agree more.

there's a reason Valentine hasn't managed in MLB for the last decade-and it's not a good one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Continue the dysfunction - hire Bobby Valentine as manager:
    [QUOTE]couldn't agree more. there's a reason Valentine hasn't managed in MLB for the last decade-and it's not a good one.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I also agree that hiring Valentine is a bad decision.  Not sure who they should hire as their next manager, but he isn't a good choice. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Do the Red Sox have a "tarnished image" and, if so, has that image impacted the managerial search?

http://bosoxinjection.com/2011/11/14/do-the-red-sox-have-an-image-problem/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Hiring Bobby Valentine is like dropping a frozen turkey in hot oil ...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Repeat after me ... Trey Hillman

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

In Response to Continue the dysfunction - hire Bobby Valentine as manager:
    [QUOTE]How long does anyone think Bobby Hotshot could "run" this team without conflicting with upper management? And why do the Red Sox insist on believing they know more than anyone else in baseball (Andrew Miller and John Smoltz, anyone)? Hiring Valentine will make a splash, to be certain - but the waves of discontent that follow will be what's remembered.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

I won't say you're wrong (or right) about Valentine, but where does your shot against Red Sox knowledge come from?

Smoltz was an smart short-term investment that didn't work out...if that signing was so dumb, why did he immediately get picked up by the Cardinals (and do pretty well there)?

The Sox went the same route with Adrian Beltre...that was a disaster, wasn't it? Why do people only remember the misses and forget the successes?

As for Miller, he was a long-term signing...a guy with a great pitcher's body and stuff who has had all kinds of command and mechanical problems. The Sox thought they COULD (not "would") iron those issues out...what's wrong with rolling the dice? It worked with someone named David Ortiz...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

[QUOTE]Do the Red Sox have a "tarnished image" and, if so, has that image impacted the managerial search? http://bosoxinjection.com/2011/11/14/do-the-red-sox-have-an-image-problem/
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]
    According to Gammons there is growing concern over press bashing when leaving Boston. That being said, I bet just about every bench coach in MLB would take the promotion and give managing the Sox a shot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]Do the Red Sox have a "tarnished image" and, if so, has that image impacted the managerial search? http://bosoxinjection.com/2011/11/14/do-the-red-sox-have-an-image-problem/
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you this Hill...the tarnished image goes only so far...most coaches and players would jump a the chance for playing in Boston, where, if they thrive on the spotlight, they'd have that every night.

Once the Red Sox open the checkbook 99% of the people they'd target to join the organization would jump at the chance...with Mike Maddox being the one alternative.

Regarding Papelbon...well it was that nice fat paycheck that landed him in Philly...and I would wager money that he's still be with the Sox if they ponied up a similar contract.

Regarding the topic...I actually like the idea of an experienced manager taking over and one that won't take any crap from the players...Valentine fits that criteria, as does my favorite managerial candidate Tony Pena.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Continue the dysfunction - hire Bobby Valentine as manager : I'll tell you this Hill...the tarnished image goes only so far...most coaches and players would jump a the chance for playing in Boston, where, if they thrive on the spotlight, they'd have that every night. Once the Red Sox open the checkbook 99% of the people they'd target to join the organization would jump at the chance...with Mike Maddox being the one alternative. Regarding Papelbon...well it was that nice fat paycheck that landed him in Philly...and I would wager money that he's still be with the Sox if they ponied up a similar contract. Regarding the topic...I actually like the idea of an experienced manager taking over and one that won't take any crap from the players...Valentine fits that criteria, as does my favorite managerial candidate Tony Pena.  
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]
    Dale Sveum might be among other exceptions.

Is the Red Sox managerial job more or less attractive than the job was, say, after the 2007 World Series title?

Would a prospective manager (or player) rather go to one of the 13 teams that have won a postseason game in the past three years? Would that person prefer a franchise that is trending upward or one that is trending downward?

The Red Sox job has its appeal, but the position has its drawbacks as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Continue the dysfunction - hire Bobby Valentine as manager : I won't say you're wrong (or right) about Valentine, but where does your shot against Red Sox knowledge come from? Smoltz was an smart short-term investment that didn't work out...if that signing was so dumb, why did he immediately get picked up by the Cardinals (and do pretty well there)? The Sox went the same route with Adrian Beltre...that was a disaster, wasn't it? Why do people only remember the misses and forget the successes? As for Miller, he was a long-term signing...a guy with a great pitcher's body and stuff who has had all kinds of command and mechanical problems. The Sox thought they COULD (not "would") iron those issues out...what's wrong with rolling the dice? It worked with someone named David Ortiz...
    Posted by redsoxu571[/QUOTE]

Very good point.Let those know it all posters sit on this for a while.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Continue the dysfunction - hire Bobby Valentine as manager : Dale Sveum might be among other exceptions. Is the Red Sox managerial job more or less attractive than the job was, say, after the 2007 World Series title? Would a prospective manager (or player) rather go to one of the 13 teams that have won a postseason game in the past three years? Would that person prefer a franchise that is trending upward or one that is trending downward? The Red Sox job has its appeal, but the position has its drawbacks as well.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Dale Sveum?? No way, he went out of his way to sit through two interviews with the Sox who never offered him the job. He was smart to take the first offer on his plate than wait for one that may or may not have come from Boston.

Not saying that playing for the Red Sox does not have its drawbacks, like media scrutiny and fan intensity...but the fan intensity and almost 50K at every home game and another 5-10 or maybe more at certain away games is what would draw a player to play for the Sox, as it would the Yankees.

So YES a player would have the same desire to play in Boston as any of the other 13 recent playoff teams you tried to lump into the conversation...that is if equal monies were on the table...ultimately some players personal preferences dictate where they end up playing...when the money is equivalent.

I think you are delusional if you don't think Boston is still not an attractive team for free agents and prospective managers...the Sox have not opening discussed just how many managerial candidates they received interest from but decided not to interview...same goes with player agents looking for a home for their free agents.

Boston is so dysfunctional that Heath Bell says he prefers to stay on the West Coast or play in Boston...what's up with that?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I'll add, Soxdog, Adrien Gonzalez also told Jed Hoyer, if the Padres were going to trade him, his first choice was Boston. may be Gonzalez told Bell it was a great place to play?  Nah.SurprisedWink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from saxydogg77. Show saxydogg77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Continue the dysfunction - hire Bobby Valentine as manager : I won't say you're wrong (or right) about Valentine, but where does your shot against Red Sox knowledge come from? Smoltz was an smart short-term investment that didn't work out...if that signing was so dumb, why did he immediately get picked up by the Cardinals (and do pretty well there)? The Sox went the same route with Adrian Beltre...that was a disaster, wasn't it? Why do people only remember the misses and forget the successes? As for Miller, he was a long-term signing...a guy with a great pitcher's body and stuff who has had all kinds of command and mechanical problems. The Sox thought they COULD (not "would") iron those issues out...what's wrong with rolling the dice? It worked with someone named David Ortiz...
    Posted by redsoxu571[/QUOTE]

Stop making sense...just stop it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Boston is so dysfunctional that Heath Bell says he prefers to stay on the West Coast or play in Boston...what's up with that?
    Heath Bell's interest in Boston appears tied to the presence of former teammate Adrian Gonzalez:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/nov/15/numerous-teams-interested-padres-bell/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I liked Ryne Sandberg, but he's never been brought up in the search.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Continue the dysfunction - hire Bobby Valentine as manager : Heath Bell's interest in Boston appears tied to the presence of former teammate Adrian Gonzalez: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/nov/15/numerous-teams-interested-padres-bell/
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Yes I had heard that too...however, do you still think Bell would want to join a dysfunctional team even though he had ONE friend/ex-teammate on it?? I think not!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]Hiring Bobby Valentine is like dropping a frozen turkey in hot oil ...
    Posted by Sully1965[/QUOTE]

Very vivid and interesting analogy.  I think it would not be a good result, either, and am laughing nervously when all this business came up again the last few days.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Continue the dysfunction - hire Bobby Valentine as manager : I'll tell you this Hill...the tarnished image goes only so far...most coaches and players would jump a the chance for playing in Boston, where, if they thrive on the spotlight, they'd have that every night. Once the Red Sox open the checkbook 99% of the people they'd target to join the organization would jump at the chance...with Mike Maddox being the one alternative. Regarding Papelbon...well it was that nice fat paycheck that landed him in Philly...and I would wager money that he's still be with the Sox if they ponied up a similar contract. Regarding the topic...I actually like the idea of an experienced manager taking over and one that won't take any crap from the players...Valentine fits that criteria, as does my favorite managerial candidate Tony Pena.  

I'd love to see Pena there, too.  He was always one of my favorite players, and he was fun to listen to when he played in Boston.  Straight shooter, no BS, and he's been part of the Yankees for a few years now.  He'd know how to run this show!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Continue the dysfunction - hire Bobby Valentine as manager : Yes I had heard that too...however, do you still think Bell would want to join a dysfunctional team even though he had ONE friend/ex-teammate on it?? I think not!

Bell would be a good addition to the Red Sox.  Althugh, I agree that he may not want to play in Boston.  Considering how the season ended many MLB players may not want to join the Red Sox. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Continue the dysfunction - hire Bobby Valentine as manager : Bell would be a good addition to the Red Sox.  Althugh, I agree that he may not want to play in Boston.  Considering how the season ended many MLB players may not want to join the Red Sox. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Actually susan he is on record saying he WOULD want to play in Boston or the west coast...so the possibility exists he could come here...and I think if he's doing his thing he could be a character here. Anyone remember him running in from the bullpen and sliding before he reached the mound at the AS game...it was pretty funny.