Contracts and money

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Contracts and money

IMHO they mean nothing to me and should mean nothing to any fan. The money on a contract has  nothing to do with ticket prices or food at a game or t shirts. Those are all governed by the area in which you live. If the Rays signed players and had a salary of 100mil prices at the Trop won't go up any higher than what the people will pay. It is why a $5 beer in Tampa is $8 in Boston and $9 or $10 in LA. 

BTW the money is not our money in any sense. If you don't like the contract don't go. 

Comparing contracts also is futile since the needs of each team maybe similair but are very different because of other needs, minor leaguers and future plans And state taxes. Saying theycouldhave got A for what they paid for X and Y is foolish since it ISNOT based upon anything other than $$$$$ and not anything else. Also players signed in Toronto also pay higher taxes and contracts are made to offset that as they are in MA, NY, CA, and other states. Fl teams have no state tax thus players can sign for less here. A $13 mil contract is not the same in FL, Toronto, Boston, NY, CA. .....

talks here should be more about why this guy and how the guys figures into the team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Contracts and money

Money is important, since this team has a relatively fixed player salary budget. Money spent in one place means it can not be spent elsewhere. Debating the merits of these choices is part of what winter baseball discussion is and should be about.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Money is important, since this team has a relatively fixed player salary budget. Money spent in one place means it can not be spent elsewhere. Debating the merits of these choices is part of what winter baseball discussion is and should be about.

[/QUOTE]

Part yes but not all. Most do not understand economics and how COL affect contracts. Many here may not know what col is.

A 10 mil contract in Toronto is like a 8 mil contract in Boston and 7 mil in Tampa. Contracts are made to make up for lost wages due to taxes.

the only thing fixed about any budget is what the team wishes to spend up to their limit. Even then they could go higher if they decided to cut into their profits.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Part yes but not all. Most do not understand economics and how COL affect contracts. Many here may not know what col is.

A 10 mil contract in Toronto is like a 8 mil contract in Boston and 7 mil in Tampa. Contracts are made to make up for lost wages due to taxes.

the only thing fixed about any budget is what the team wishes to spend up to their limit. Even then they could go higher if they decided to cut into their profits.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but we all know the Sox have certain budget parameters despite the fact that Henry could decide to have a budget of $500M if he wanted.

Many here also just look at this year's cost and not the effects a contract might have on future choices.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

this is a dumb post. Every team, even the Yankees (but maybe the Dodgers are the exception) has a budget. Fitting a player into that budget is paramount to a teams ability to win or lose.

The cost of a beer or ticket is simply a matter of supply and demand, but pales against the windfall of a TV contract.   That is why the Trop has low ticket prices (low demand) and a low budget (no TV contract)

I dont think any of the chatter on these boards regarding players and contracts has any correlation to what we pay for tickets or beer, but rather do they fit into the stated budget...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

this is a dumb post. Every team, even the Yankees (but maybe the Dodgers are the exception) has a budget. Fitting a player into that budget is paramount to a teams ability to win or lose.

The cost of a beer or ticket is simply a matter of supply and demand, but pales against the windfall of a TV contract.   That is why the Trop has low ticket prices (low demand) and a low budget (no TV contract)

I dont think any of the chatter on these boards regarding players and contracts has any correlation to what we pay for tickets or beer, but rather do they fit into the stated budget...

[/QUOTE]

You say "This is a dumb post" yet what you write is pretty much what we have said. So I guess that makes your post dumber?????

Btw the Rays do have a television and radio contract Sun Sports and WDAE in FL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You say "This is a dumb post" yet what you write is pretty much what we have said. So I guess that makes your post dumber?????

[/QUOTE]

your op starts with "IMHO they mean nothing to me and should mean nothing to any fan". that is the dumb part. Contracts should mean EVERYTHING to any fan of any team that has a budget, which is every teams with the possible exception of the Dodgers.

My comment regarding TV contracts for the Rays "no contract" was in reference to "no contract of any worth" compared to large media teams

I stand by my statement, foolish post, "no one should care about contracts because the cost of beer wont increase"...is pretty dumb. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

your op starts with "IMHO they mean nothing to me and should mean nothing to any fan". that is the dumb part. Contracts should mean EVERYTHING to any fan of any team that has a budget, which is every teams with the possible exception of the Dodgers.

My comment regarding TV contracts for the Rays "no contract" was in reference to "no contract of any worth" compared to large media teams

I stand by my statement, foolish post, "no one should care about contracts because the cost of beer wont increase"...is pretty dumb. 

[/QUOTE]

Not dumb just my opinion. Must be a democrat since that seems to be the MO for the Obamaites :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not dumb just my opinion. Must be a democrat since that seems to be the MO for the Obamaites :)

[/QUOTE]

Jim, this board is for opinions. I dont begrudge you that. But you are putting your opinion out there for comment, so I commented.

Right, I mention working player contracts into the restraints of a budget, as well as supply and demand economics...and you think that screams democrat...boy Jim, you keep coming up with ammo for us dont you?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

What is relevant here is that many are lambasting management for "overpaying" surprisingly big dollars to Victorino, Dempster et al.:  "After all the money came off the books in the Dodger Trade, why tie it up again with less than top players?"

But, to me, it is pretty easy to see that there is a fiscal plan.  

1, 2,3 year deals.  As Moon notes, there is a fixed payroll allotment.  They won't go over.  But, it works the other way too.  They won't be under.  And since they didn't want to risk Hamilton or Grienke or grossly overpay in long contracts to a guy like Sanchez, there is all this money to spend.  So, they ponied up to make sure they didn't get beat out on their target veteran versatile/good character/gamer targets, and so they could sign them to shorter deals than they may have gotten elsewhere.

So, they are using up the fixed payroll allotment.  Good.  And, in 2014, when there are actually FAs worth throwing the Brinx Truck at, they will be able to do that.  In the meantime, these new guys, though paid handsomely, can move around, platoon whatever, as the youngsters come into their own ("let the kids play").

It really doesn't matter too much how much these guys are making.  Not, as Jim asserts, because its not our money so who cares, but because it fits a flexible, big market payroll structure plan for this year and coming years.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Anyone who says that money and contracts don't matter needs to take a hard look at the new CBA. The penalties for exceeding the luxury tax threshhold and staying above that mark are fairly draconian. So even if a team has the income of say, the Red Sox or Yankees the incentives to stay within the budget parameters dictated by the commissioner's office are very real. Bud Selig wants parity in MLB and he will have it, come hell or high water. So unless the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers and Angels are going to go off and form their own league they'll all be trying to stay under the luxury tax threshhold.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

right, the years on a contract means more to me than the money now that we are in rebuilding mode. the ability to slot prospects in as they become ready will determine how sucessful our rebuilding project is. So to piggyback off of space, the easier we can move guys (either off of the team or position) our budding stars will not be blocked. We can always eat money to move a guy. we can't eat years off of a contract to move him..

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jim, this board is for opinions. I dont begrudge you that. But you are putting your opinion out there for comment, so I commented.

Right, I mention working player contracts into the restraints of a budget, as well as supply and demand economics...and you think that screams democrat...boy Jim, you keep coming up with ammo for us dont you?

[/QUOTE]

I did not think it screamed democrat when you called my opinion dumb. I called you a dem when it appeared you were taking the stance that only your opinion counted.

as stated what you said was what was already stated yet you called me dumb.

Yes salaries figure into the budget but they have nothing to do with ticket, beer, hot dog or T shirt prices. They are all about what the market is.

salaries are also about the market but it is different because it has to do with team needs and the state in which you play. No state tax like FL means you can live off of a smaller salary. Where a high state tax like CA means a need for a higher contract.

just don't call me dumb and I won't call you a democrat. That is a problem here everyone's opinion is equal. No one should be called dumb.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I did not think it screamed democrat when you called my opinion dumb. I called you a dem when it appeared you were taking the stance that only your opinion counted.

as stated what you said was what was already stated yet you called me dumb.

Yes salaries figure into the budget but they have nothing to do with ticket, beer, hot dog or T shirt prices. They are all about what the market is.

salaries are also about the market but it is different because it has to do with team needs and the state in which you play. No state tax like FL means you can live off of a smaller salary. Where a high state tax like CA means a need for a higher contract.

just don't call me dumb and I won't call you a democrat. That is a problem here everyone's opinion is equal. No one should be called dumb.

[/QUOTE]

just to set the record straight, I didnt call you dumb. I said it was a dumb post.

you can call me anything you wish.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

????????Wow you call a posters post dumb and expect them not to think it means you believe they are dumb....your..logic is very odd

folks I said we should not worry about what they spend it is not our money.

Softy sorry but labor has nothing to do with ticket prices. They will not go done if player salaries drop even 50% if they go up 50% they will only increase to what the market will bear no more. A team increase or decrease of salaries of 100 mil can not and never will mean an increase or decrease in ticket prices.

other prices as stated will never be affected by player salaries. I said this because many say they won't buy them because of an inferior product on the field. Not buying them means nothing to the team And it's salary budget.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strangeglove. Show Strangeglove's posts

Forgive me if this is a little off topic, but, I think it is related sooo....

My question is: And what about "us?" Has our fan experience gone up or down due to these insane salaries and our value system? I think it has gone wayyyy down.

At the ball park,  there are ads everywhere! Years back, this was pretty much off limits (at least at Fenway) and confined to the minor leagues.

On TV, ads and promotions even as the game goes on.

On the uniforms themselves, Nike Swishes or whatever.

Cable subscriptions, ticket prices, food prices, parking prices. Etc etc...220 hitters getting paid $13 million/yr.

I guess the Entertainment Dollar has no limit. Are people that bored with life to put up with it?

Just asking.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So contracts like Crawfords, Lackey's, Beckett's, etc. really don't matter? It does affect the team. If too much money is spent on the wrong guy, guess what? The team fails. And money spent does not equate to wins. The Red Sox spent too much money this winter on players not really worth it, which has been the trend for this franchise. Why does the money have to be spent? So Lucchino can just justify the high ticket prices based on the payroll.

Are you happy with the Napoli $39/3 year contract?

Is the $5M per year to Johnny Gomes really going to make a difference? Or do you think a cheaper option could have been plugged in and saved the team some money?

Answer those simple questions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

IMHO they mean nothing to me and should mean nothing to any fan. The money on a contract has  nothing to do with ticket prices or food at a game or t shirts. Those are all governed by the area in which you live. If the Rays signed players and had a salary of 100mil prices at the Trop won't go up any higher than what the people will pay. It is why a $5 beer in Tampa is $8 in Boston and $9 or $10 in LA. 

BTW the money is not our money in any sense. If you don't like the contract don't go. 

Comparing contracts also is futile since the needs of each team maybe similair but are very different because of other needs, minor leaguers and future plans And state taxes. Saying theycouldhave got A for what they paid for X and Y is foolish since it ISNOT based upon anything other than $$$$$ and not anything else. Also players signed in Toronto also pay higher taxes and contracts are made to offset that as they are in MA, NY, CA, and other states. Fl teams have no state tax thus players can sign for less here. A $13 mil contract is not the same in FL, Toronto, Boston, NY, CA. .....

talks here should be more about why this guy and how the guys figures into the team.

[/QUOTE]

So if Pawtucket red sox moved to Boston. You would be paying 8 dollars for a beer. The high contracts have nothing to do with ticket pricing. So again if Pawtucket was in boston, you would be paying 100 dollars or more for a seat ? If HENRY moved his team to ALASKA... We could get in free..........

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do us all a favor and please get out of the sun. Really please get out of the sun. If your head shrinks any more it will look like your wearing shouler pads.... Please get out of the sun.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Contracts do mean something, but not as much as some here feel.

With the new restrictions on compensation for FA and limitations for draft picks, the only other place to spend is FA. As long as the team doesnt exceed their limit or get handcuffed, like the Sox did, on long term big $$$ deals nobody should care if Victorino gets 13M per for 3 years. Especially when a player like Upton gets 5years @15M per and Ejax gets 13M per for 4 years.

Teams are holding on to their prospects a little tighter these days because of FA contracts. BC is doing the same thing. We have the advantage of being able to spend 180M if we need to though unlike some small market teams. A good mix of prospects, core players and use FA for your complimentary players to fill needs is the way to go. With our prospects still a year or two away, we needed to rely on FA more than we'd like to this year. But the $$ was spent very wisely IMO. We still have plenty of room to acquire more talent now and at the deadline if need be without sacrificing the long term plan.

The fact is this is what the market value is for these players. Like it or not. No use in complaining over and over about it. It is what it is. As long as Ben doesnt do what Theo did, we'll be fine.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

WHAT A PLAYER MAKES MEANS NOTHING TO ME IT IS NOT MY MONEY EVEN IF IM A SEASON TICKET HOLDER. IF I DON"T LIKE THE PRODUCT I DON"T GO PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

THE FO KNOWS THE PLAYERS AND THEIR NEEDS BETTER THAN ANYONE OF US.

I BELIEVE HAVING PAPS, AGON, CC AND JOSH RIGHT NOW IS BETTER THAN WHAT WE HAVE IN BAILEY, NAPOLI, GOMES/VICTORINO, AND DEMPSTER. HOWEVER THAT DOES NOT MEAN I WON"T BE THERE FOR THE RED SOX.

FOLKS I LEARNED A LONG TIME AGO THAT WHAT THE RED SOX DO OR DO NOT DO HAS NO AFFECT ON ME. IT IS HOW I HANDLE WHAT THEY DO THAT AFFECTS ME. AT ONE TIME IT BOTHERED ME BUT I LEARNED IT IS HOW I HANDLE IT NOT THEIR DOS OR DON"TS.

FAR TOO MANY HERE THINK AND BELIEVE THAT THEY KNOW BETTER, THAT IT IS THEIR MONEY BECAUSE THEY PAY FOR TICKETS, AND THAT THEY GET TOO WRAPPED UP IN THE RED SOX AND WHAT THEY DO. HE!! IT IS SO BAD THAT MANY HERE CALL OTHERS STUPID, IDIOT, GET OUT OF THE SUN YOUR HEAD IS SHRINKING, ETC....FOR JUST HAVING AN FREAKIN" OPINION.

THERE IS FAR TOO LITTLE PEACEABLE DISCOURSE ON TOPICS. MOST ALL END UP IN NAME CALLING. EVEN THIS ONE I WAS CALLED DUMB VIA "THE POST IS DUMB". YET THIS PERSON SAID EXACTLY WHAT I AND OTHERS SAID BUT IN A DIFFERENT WAY. YEP AND I CALLED HIM A DEMOCRAT/OBAMAITE.

BTW DONRD YES I"D SUPPORT THE P SOX. FYI MANY HERE HAVE ADVOCATED BRINGING UP THE KIDS WHICH IS ABOUT HALF OR MORE OF THE STARTING TEAM IN AAA AND AA. SO WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE. AS FOR THE SHRINKING HEAD IT IS 40 DEGREES HERE SO IT AIN"T HAPPENING TODAY ;)