Contracts: What's missing from this page?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Contracts: What's missing from this page?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ah4PW47PiAi-dFJFeEZycXdDSlpfVVJxa0phdGN5UXc&output=html

I thought, per previously Moon analysis, that we were much closer to the luxury tax cap than this spreadsheet might suggest.

What numbers are missing from this spreadsheet? Why are monies paid to Bard and others apparently not included in the total?

Perhaps a better question: What website does a better job of including EVERYTHING that goes towards the luxury tax cap?

Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Contracts: What's missing from this page?

Just add in the 10M or so for insurance and there you have it

about 165M right now. we have about 12M or so to play with this year.

Bard and others that are in their arb years are included. They have the arb salary in the 4th column where it says 1 yr/$1.8625M (13). All arb cases are listed that way.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The luxury tax is figured on average salary of each40 man roster player's contracts NOT that year's salary.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Bard and others that are in their arb years are included. They have the arb salary in the 4th column where it says 1 yr/$1.8625M (13). All arb cases are listed that way.

My numbers counted $11.1M towards insurance:

Here's how next year's budget looks (using average contract yearly salary):

$16.5M Lackey (then club option at min. wage*)

$13.25M Dempster (then FA)

$13M Victorino (then $13M for 2015 and then FA)

$13M Ortiz (then FA)

*$13M Club Option on Lester (with $.25M buyout

$7.5M Buchholz (through 2015 with club options for $13M '16 & $13.5M '17 w .5M buyout)

$6.75M Pedroia (signed through 2014 with 2015 club option @ $11M w $.5M buyout)

$5M Gomes (then FA)

$3.1M Breslow (then FA)

$3.1M Ross (then FA)

Sub Total: ~$81.5M without Lester (9 players)and $93M with Lester (10 players).

Arbitrations:

Uehara (3 of 3) made $4.25M in 2013 > $6M

Bailey (3 of 3) made $4.1M > $5.5M

Aceves (3 of 3) made 2.65M > $3M

Bard (2 of 3) made $1.86M > 1M (or DFA'd)

Iglesias (IFA signing) made $2M > $3M (?)

Morales (3 of 3) made $1.49M > $2M

Miller (3 of 3) made 1.48M > $2M

Tazawa (1 of 3) made $815K > $1.25M

Carp (1 of 3) made $508K > $1.25M

Sub Total Arb estimate: $25M (9 players)

Doubront (pre- arb, then 3 arbs) made $518K

Nava (pre-arb, then 3 arbs) made $505K

Mortensen (pre-arb, then 3 arbs) made $505K

Kalish (pre-arb, then 3 arbs) made $498K

Middlebrooks (pre-arb) made $498K

Pre-arbs that make $490K this year: Bradley, Britton, Butler, de la Rosa, de la Torre, Hassan, Holt, Lavarnway, Vazquez, Wilson, and Wright.

Sub Total Pre-Arb estimate: $8M (16 players)

TOTAL : ~ $127M (35 players with Lester) / 115M (34 players with no Lester)

That's a total of 31-35 players depending on Lester and Bard, but a few other players might be dealt or cut (Butler, Hassan, Wright)

5-10 players (Rule 5 pending) that might be added to 40 man roster this winter or lost: add about $3-4M to the total.

40 man roster total: ~$130M with Lester/ $119M without Lester

The following players will be eligible for the 2013 Rule 5 Draft if they are not added to the 40-man roster by November 20, 2013:

Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair, Xander BogaertsBryce Brentz, Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini, Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Brandon Jacobs, Jeremy Kehrt, Aaron King, Aaron Kurcz, Juan Carlos Linares, Mario Martinez, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Nefi Ogando, Gerardo Olivares, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Rafael Perez, Mathew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Brandon Snyder, Alfredo Soto, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Stefan Welch, Shannon Wilkerson, Brandon Workman, Madison Younginer

So, basically our luxury tax budget will be between $119 and $130M depending on Lester, plus the player insurance/pension ($11.1M?) and the Dodger payment of $3.9M for 2014 (then one more for 2015). 

The final number will be about:

$134M without Lester

$145M with Lester

(not counting extensions, FA signings, trades or player releases)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My numbers might not be 100% accurate, but they are pretty close.

We should have between $44 and $55M (Lester?) to spend and still be under the cap. If my arb numbers are too low, maybe we'll have around $40 to $50M to spend, assuming no extensions, re-signings, or trades before winter.

The big gaps to fill?

CF (Ellsbury)

Catcher (Salty)

Pitcher (Lester)

1B (Napoli)

Minor:

SS (Drew)

C (Hanrahan)

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The luxury tax is figured on average salary of each40 man roster player's contracts NOT that year's salary.

So if a player has a 5-year deal, it's calculated on the five year average?

If this spread sheet does not show it, then is there another web site that shows the effective total relative to the lux tax cap for the current season?

I guess I'm asking about some spread sheet that does the calculations you've just shown, but that might be a bit much to hope for ... Smile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

My numbers counted $11.1M towards insurance:

Here's how next year's budget looks (using average contract yearly salary):

$16.5M Lackey (then club option at min. wage*)

$13.25M Dempster (then FA)

$13M Victorino (then $13M for 2015 and then FA)

$13M Ortiz (then FA)

*$13M Club Option on Lester (with $.25M buyout

$7.5M Buchholz (through 2015 with club options for $13M '16 & $13.5M '17 w .5M buyout)

$6.75M Pedroia (signed through 2014 with 2015 club option @ $11M w $.5M buyout)

$5M Gomes (then FA)

$3.1M Breslow (then FA)

$3.1M Ross (then FA)

Sub Total: ~$81.5M without Lester (9 players)and $93M with Lester (10 players).

Arbitrations:

Uehara (3 of 3) made $4.25M in 2013 > $6M

Bailey (3 of 3) made $4.1M > $5.5M

Aceves (3 of 3) made 2.65M > $3M

Bard (2 of 3) made $1.86M > 1M (or DFA'd)

Iglesias (IFA signing) made $2M > $3M (?)

Morales (3 of 3) made $1.49M > $2M

Miller (3 of 3) made 1.48M > $2M

Tazawa (1 of 3) made $815K > $1.25M

Carp (1 of 3) made $508K > $1.25M

Sub Total Arb estimate: $25M (9 players)

Doubront (pre- arb, then 3 arbs) made $518K

Nava (pre-arb, then 3 arbs) made $505K

Mortensen (pre-arb, then 3 arbs) made $505K

Kalish (pre-arb, then 3 arbs) made $498K

Middlebrooks (pre-arb) made $498K

Pre-arbs that make $490K this year: Bradley, Britton, Butler, de la Rosa, de la Torre, Hassan, Holt, Lavarnway, Vazquez, Wilson, and Wright.

Sub Total Pre-Arb estimate: $8M (16 players)

TOTAL : ~ $127M (35 players with Lester) / 115M (34 players with no Lester)

That's a total of 31-35 players depending on Lester and Bard, but a few other players might be dealt or cut (Butler, Hassan, Wright)

5-10 players (Rule 5 pending) that might be added to 40 man roster this winter or lost: add about $3-4M to the total.

40 man roster total: ~$130M with Lester/ $119M without Lester

The following players will be eligible for the 2013 Rule 5 Draft if they are not added to the 40-man roster by November 20, 2013:

Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair, Xander BogaertsBryce Brentz, Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini, Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Brandon Jacobs, Jeremy Kehrt, Aaron King, Aaron Kurcz, Juan Carlos Linares, Mario Martinez, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Nefi Ogando, Gerardo Olivares, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Rafael Perez, Mathew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Brandon Snyder, Alfredo Soto, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Stefan Welch, Shannon Wilkerson, Brandon Workman, Madison Younginer

So, basically our luxury tax budget will be between $119 and $130M depending on Lester, plus the player insurance/pension ($11.1M?) and the Dodger payment of $3.9M for 2014 (then one more for 2015). 

The final number will be about:

$134M without Lester

$145M with Lester

(not counting extensions, FA signings, trades or player releases)

[/QUOTE]

Although I think some arb cases are a bit low, we basically have the same figures (Im at about 150M w/Lester).

We could have 25-30M to spend next year with 10-15 left for in season signings.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

I'd be curious to know if the Red Sox  pick up Lackey's 2015 option during this next offseason, whether or not they can convert his salary for luxury tax purposes to approximately $8m for 2014 and 2015.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to vtfanofcs' comment:

I'd be curious to know if the Red Sox  pick up Lackey's 2015 option during this next offseason, whether or not they can convert his salary for luxury tax purposes to approximately $8m for 2014 and 2015.

I think it's already been re-calculated across the life of the contract, so around $13M.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

In response to vtfanofcs' comment:

[QUOTE]

I think it's already been re-calculated across the life of the contract, so around $13M.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. I think any option is not calculated until it is taken. If there is a buyout, that cost counts towards the average salary per year.

I think if we wait until 2015, the option cost will be counted towards 2015 alone. Otherwise, they'd have to go back 3 years to adjust the totals. I don't think they do that.

Sections
Shortcuts