Contracts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Contracts

Based upon the contracts being given this year Agon's and CC's are looking pretty good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Contracts

Imagine what Verlander is thinking.  

"I'm gonna be a $30 million per year man!!!"    LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I deon't think there are any contracts yet that make CC's look good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Based upon the contracts being given this year Agon's and CC's are looking pretty good.

[/QUOTE]
    I'd say AGon's contract will be a large overpay.

Walk rate 2009,..2012:

18%   13%   10%   6%

ISO:

.274   .213   .210   .164

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I think that AGon is still one of the top veteran 1Bmen and top run producers in all of baseball and he is paid like one.  Not an overpay in any way, IME.  But Crawford looks like a clear overpay.  Upton has very similar skill set, with perhaps less speed but with definitely more power.  And yet he is getting paid for 2 fewer years and 6 million less per, at a similar age.  What was Theo thinking?  And, Crawford was never better than a square peg fit for the Sox.  If he had not been signed, AGon would probably still be playing for the Sox, and 2012 would not have been year when Ben's hands were tied, economically speaking, from bringing in the pitching that was so desperately needed to compete.  Maybe even Theo does not leave and Bobby V is never hired! 

I say this while acknowledging that, 1) I supported the CC signing once it happened, even though it was an obvious overpay; and 2) I still think that Crawford will play up to about a 15 million per level over the next 3 or 4 seasons, and when Ellsbury leaves for greener pastures Crawford will be missed, in much the same way Crsip is now missed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think that AGon is still one of the top veteran 1Bmen and top run producers in all of baseball and he is paid like one.  Not an overpay in any way, IME. 

Here is a list of some of the 58 quailfied hitters who out performed  (wRC+, park and league adjusted) AGon at the plate in 2012:

David Murphy   Alex Gordon    Carlos Beltran     Alex Rios     Dexter Fowler     Garrett Jones     Paul Goldschmidt     Chris Davis     Jay Bruce     AJ Ellis      AJ Pierzynski      Derek Jeter     Martin Prado     Alfonso Soriano     Allen Craig     Aaron Hill     Torii Hunter     Ian Desmond    

I'd expect him to outperform most on this list in the second year of a 7 yr $154m contract.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The way I look at it, we paid CC $20M to hit vs RHPs (65% of the PAs).

We just paid Victorino $13M to hit vs LHPs (35% of the PAs).

That's pretty close to an equal severe overpay when pro-rated per quality projected PAs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think that AGon is still one of the top veteran 1Bmen and top run producers in all of baseball and he is paid like one.  Not an overpay in any way, IME. 

Here is a list of some of the 58 quailfied hitters who out performed  (wRC+, park and league adjusted) AGon at the plate in 2012:

David Murphy   Alex Gordon    Carlos Beltran     Alex Rios     Dexter Fowler     Garrett Jones     Paul Goldschmidt     Chris Davis     Jay Bruce     AJ Ellis      AJ Pierzynski      Derek Jeter     Martin Prado     Alfonso Soriano     Allen Craig     Aaron Hill     Torii Hunter     Ian Desmond    

I'd expect him to outperform most on this list in the second year of a 7 yr $154m contract.

[/QUOTE]

Also, Gonzalez  did not want to be here.  He was more or less pressured into signing that extension. Even if the Dodgers don't do them a favor by taking those contracts, he would have very likely been moved this off season.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox now have a top hitting 1B replacment for AGon, at the cheap price of 13M of year. I expcet Napoli will be in the top 1/3 of all 1B for 2013. That's what I expect.

AGon was terrible in 2011, and did not meet expectations. He was even worse in 2012. Huge mistake to pay AGon for 1.5 years.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you've gone over to the dark side.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's pretty close to an equal severe overpay when pro-rated per quality projected PAs.

[/QUOTE]

That completely leaves defensive runs saved out of the equation though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That completely leaves defensive runs saved out of the equation though.

[/QUOTE]

You mean all the runs that GG CC saved us?

(LOL)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Id pay 30M/3 for Verlander in a heartbeat.  30/6, no.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Id pay 30M/3 for Verlander in a heartbeat.  30/6, no.

[/QUOTE]
    Agreed, but since the Ilitch family pretty much prints their own money, I seriously doubt Verlander ever hits the open market during his prime years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox now have a top hitting 1B replacment for AGon, at the cheap price of 13M of year. I expcet Napoli will be in the top 1/3 of all 1B for 2013. That's what I expect.

AGon was terrible in 2011, and did not meet expectations. He was even worse in 2012. Huge mistake to pay AGon for 1.5 years.

[/QUOTE]

Napoli's career OPS : .863

AGON's Career OPS: .877

Napoli did it despite the riggors of catching.  The fact that he can catch also adds value.  He's better in the clubhouse than AGON and has a swing well suited for Fenway.

I'd much rather have Naps at 13 per for 3 than Agon at 20M+ per for 30 (or whatever big labor contract he has).  But you already know my feelings on this and I apoologize for feeling the need to reiterate them again.  Dbag move on my part.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

You mean all the runs that GG CC saved us?

(LOL)

[/QUOTE]

Victorino should save some.  I live in hope. :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I do not know NL player's that well, esp on defense. I was fooled by CC, and I saw him play a lot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Qhether anyone likes it or not, FA contract prices are going way up in price. 12M doesnt get you what it used to nowadays. It is what it is. I believe it will get worse as it will be the one place that teams can freely spend their $$ on. Draft signings and qualifying offers are in place now. No more paying huge bonus money for prospects to sign. no more type A or B FA. Scouting and developing our own talent will be vital going forward.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Qhether anyone likes it or not, FA contract prices are going way up in price. 12M doesnt get you what it used to nowadays. It is what it is. I believe it will get worse as it will be the one place that teams can freely spend their $$ on. Draft signings and qualifying offers are in place now. No more paying huge bonus money for prospects to sign. no more type A or B FA. Scouting and developing our own talent will be vital going forward.

[/QUOTE]

I guess we should have seen it coming and spent big last winter, instead.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess we should have seen it coming and spent big last winter, instead.

[/QUOTE]

We had no $$$ last year TO spend...

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

AGon also has something a knack for saying the wrong thing.

'It was God's will we blew that insurmountable lead.'

'It's terrible the way they schedule the Red Sox for all these Sunday night games.  This schedule is really hurting us.'

'Fenway messed up my power stroke.'

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

IF THAT IS WHAT HE BELIEVES IT IS NOT WRONG.

'It's terrible the way they schedule the Red Sox for all these Sunday night games.  This schedule is really hurting us.'

AGREE NOT TO SMART BUT IF THEY INDEED NEED TO TRAVEL AND PLAY MONDAY NIGHT IT WOULD BE TRUE

OTHER PLAYERS HAVE SAID THE SAME SO IT IS NOT WRONG.

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

IF THAT IS WHAT HE BELIEVES IT IS NOT WRONG.

AGREE NOT TO SMART BUT IF THEY INDEED NEED TO TRAVEL AND PLAY MONDAY NIGHT IT WOULD BE TRUE

OTHER PLAYERS HAVE SAID THE SAME SO IT IS NOT WRONG.

[/QUOTE]