CONTRARIAN DILEMMA: SERIOUSLY.... on what galaxy is MICHAEL PHELPS to be considered the BEST athlete or even best OLYMPIAN athlete ever?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

CONTRARIAN DILEMMA...

first of, i live in MD, home of phelps, and have grown to admire the man and his entire family. however, being totally objective, its a real stretch to say he's the greatest athlete ever as so many dudderheads insist on repeating lately due to his 18 gold medlas and 22 olympic medals. i mean come on, can we consider any major league baseball player or early nba'r or nfl'r the greatest ever when they (thru no fault of their own) never played with brothas or anyone with a diffferent pigmentation? how many basketball medals would a lebron or kevin durant have if they were allowed to compete in same number of BASKETBALL-related events as phelps? lets see, bron would be the best dunker, best defensive player, best offensive player, best rebounder and so forth and have like 8 basketball medals just in these games.

i mean this is not about the best accountant or something along those lines which unfortunately the data still say that only certain non-pigmented groups have a clear advantage in (AT THIS POINT). BUT when it comes to athleticism the data is quite clear who the superiors are and lets just say.. they dont look like mr. phelps or the guys he's competing against. see what happened to the great russian hottie maria sharapova yesterday? thats exactly what would happen to olympic swimming when a serena williams starts to compete. just look at what gabby did in gymnastics. anyone seriously pointing to mary lou retton or any russian anymore as the best gymnastic ATHLETE anymore? the upside of the blak athlete is so much higher than any other at this time.. period!

lochte talks about working overtime to put on some muscles and he's the biggest dude in the pool which has helped him be the #2 guy (first loser) to phelps. hmmm, has anyone seen a lebron james? i dont believe the man has had to really work extra hard to sculpt that body. you put that dude in a pool with the right training at an early age and he's shattering records phelps never dreamed of. in 20 years, as american integration continues to prosper (still the BEST COUNTry at it despite what the doomers say via a total lack of global and western perspective) the next wave of swimming lebrons will make laughable most of what phelps has accomplished.

kind of like the joke it is to consider george mikan the best center or player in the history of the land in lieu of a shaq or jordan or kareem or olajuwon and so forth. or red grange the best nfl running back ever in lieu of a jim brown or barry sanders or bo jackson. or a ty cobb in lieu of a jackie robinson, WILLIE MAYS, rickey henderson or even carl crawford. even in olympic lore, phelps is a better ATHLETE than jesse owens (really?) or bolt? i know these are inconvenient truths for some but i'm sorry, just keeping it real... in terms of athletes and athleticism, brothas and sistas (minus HOPE SOLO) change the entire EQUATION!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: CONTRARIAN DILEMMA: SERIOUSLY.... on what galaxy is MICHAEL PHELPS to be considered the BEST athlete or even best OLYMPIA...

I would say on this galaxy you can make a strong case that he's the greatest Olympian ever.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: CONTRARIAN DILEMMA: SERIOUSLY.... on what galaxy is MICHAEL PHELPS to be considered the BEST athlete or even best OLYMPIA...

In Response to CONTRARIAN DILEMMA: SERIOUSLY.... on what galaxy is MICHAEL PHELPS to be considered the BEST athlete or even best OLYMPIAN athlete ever?:
    [QUOTE]first of, i live in MD, home of phelps, and have grown to admire the man and his entire family. however, being totally objective, its a real stretch to say he's the greatest athlete ever as so many dudderheads insist on repeating lately due to his 18 gold medlas and 22 olympic medals. i mean come on, can we consider any major league baseball player or early nba'r or nfl'r the greatest ever when they (thru no fault of their own) never played with brothas or anyone with a diffferent pigmentation? how many basketball medals would a lebron or kevin durant have if they were allowed to compete in same number of BASKETBALL-related events as phelps? lets see, bron would be the best dunker, best defensive player, best offensive player, best rebounder and so forth and have like 8 basketball medals just in these games. i mean this is not about the best accountant or something along those lines which unfortunately the data still say that only certain non-pigmented groups have a clear advantage in (AT THIS POINT). BUT when it comes to athleticism the data is quite clear who the superiors are and lets just say.. they dont look like mr. phelps or the guys he's competing against. see what happened to the great russian hottie maria sharapova yesterday? thats exactly what would happen to olympic swimming when a serena williams starts to compete. just look at what gabby did in gymnastics. anyone seriously pointing to mary lou retton or any russian anymore as the best gymnastic ATHLETE anymore? the upside of the blak athlete is so much higher than any other at this time.. period! lochte talks about working overtime to put on some muscles and he's the biggest dude in the pool which has helped him be the #2 guy (first loser) to phelps. hmmm, has anyone seen a lebron james? i dont believe the man has had to really work extra hard to sculpt that body. you put that dude in a pool with the right training at an early age and he's shattering records phelps never dreamed of. in 20 years, as american integration continues to prosper (still the BEST COUNTry at it despite what the doomers say via a total lack of global and western perspective) the next wave of swimming lebrons will make laughable most of what phelps has accomplished. kind of like the joke it is to consider george mikan the best center or player in the history of the land in lieu of a shaq or jordan or kareem or olajuwon and so forth. or red grange the best nfl running back ever in lieu of a jim brown or barry sanders or bo jackson. or a ty cobb in lieu of a jackie robinson, WILLIE MAYS, rickey henderson or even carl crawford. even in olympic lore, phelps is a better ATHLETE than jesse owens (really?) or bolt? i know these are inconvenient truths for some but i'm sorry, just keeping it real... in terms of athletes and athleticism, brothas and sistas (minus HOPE SOLO) change the entire EQUATION!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Better question.............Is this the best Red Sox post ever. Maybe the sox are giving the fans a good BACKSTROKE this year?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

If you mean on what planet in what galaxy.......I'll take a shot at it....... Jupiter and the Milky Way. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I have no idea if he is the best ever, but your post makes no sense.  He's beaten everyone in the world.

I think your comment is racially slanted.

You're implying that Phelps isn't the best because he doesn't compete against LeBron James.

So, by the same standard, LeBron James cannot be considered the best since he doesn't compete against Phelps in the gym.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Phelps has won 18 gold medals (22 medals total).  Amazing.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Contrarian, Phelps competed against the best competition in his sport, competing not only against times but against the other 7 swimmers in each heat he's ever competed in...He's won most of his medals as the actual winner-gold medals. He's easily one of the five greatest Olympians ever in my mind. I don't see it any other way. Usain Bolt, if he wins the 200, also has to be put in that class. He's black and long and Phelps is white and long--both have some distinct advantages in that both get from A to B faster than most other athletes---but that's why they are superior athletes and you still have to run and swim the races. But you need to narrow your question to best Olympian v. best ever athlete--because best ever athlete is a whole different enchilada. Michael Jordan, for instance immediately enters the debate at that point as a team and individual sports god, and so does Bobby Orr. But you can't criticize Phelps for competing in a sport that is specialized. It still takes hours and hours of practice and effort and diet and strength to do what he did---you can't dismiss it as lesser competition or lesser deeds of accomplishment. 22 medals puts him as the most decorated Olympian ever. Hard to criticize that, let alone make this debate.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think you are borderline racist to not be able to compare Ty Cobb and Jackie Robinson. That's ridiculous. Robinson never had anywhere near the hitting numbers of Cobb and while he can win the speed debate, Cobb was as skilled a baserunner as there ever was. Terrible comparison. Robinson was more about his image than his career. His numbers were very good. Guaranteed not to make the Hall of Fame if he played his career in today's game with his statistics. Robinson was a great man, Cobb not so great in that area as a human it appears. Robinson went through great abuse to get to where he was, but as an athlete? Cobb was every bit as good as Robinson.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Larry Bird for that matter was as good an athlete as Magic Johnson. Different colors of skin. Each did some things a little better than the other, but I can't find two better athletes in my lifetime. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Usain Bolt, if he wins the 200, also has to be put in that class. He's black and long and Phelps is white and long--both have some distinct advantages in that both get from A to B faster than most other athletes---but that's why they are superior athletes and you still have to run and swim the races

According to the logic used here, Bolt cannot be considered on of the best since he doesn't compete against whites very often.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The 100 final had no whites, for the record.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Athleticism is not about color, gentlemen. If it is, then let's have a Black Hall of Fame and a White Hall of Fame. And then throw in an Inbetween Color Hall of Fame.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Did the fact the Phelps said in his interview with Bob Costas that his childhood idol was Michael Jordan bother Contrarian for some reason? There is something here that ignited the fire under Contrarian. Very puzzling?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

My biggest problem is his sport. If you are the best swimmer it's very easy to also be the best at a half a dozen other variations of the same thing. It would be as if a pitcher got a cy young for leading the league in wins, another cy young for leading in strikeouts and another cy young for era. As insanely impressive as that would be having 3 cy young awards in one year (and yes I'm aware that's is impossible) would overstate how truly impressive that pitcher would be. Phelps is great......but what I wanna know is there any athlete that has ever won 2 gold medals in two different sports??? If there is, then they are the greatest olympian.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

different swim strokes, four different swim strokes is the individual medley. Breaststroke is different from Butterfly which is different from Backstroke which is different from Freestyle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Jesus H. Jiminy, now I have to defend Phelps because idiots out there have no idea that Phelps has won in a ton of different events--including relays. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

No, it's not like 4 different pitches either. It's like having four different ways of transportation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to "Re: CONTRARIAN DILEMMA: SERIOUSLY.... on what galaxy is MICHAEL PHELPS to be considered the BEST athlete or even best OLYMPIAN athlete ever?": [QUOTE]different swim strokes, four different swim strokes is the individual medley. Breaststroke is different from Butterfly which is different from Backstroke which is different from Freestyle. Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE] I understand there is a difference but there is a reason why the person who wins the most medals is almost always a swimmer. Most other sports don't even get the opportunity to win more than 1 medal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to "Re: CONTRARIAN DILEMMA: SERIOUSLY.... on what galaxy is MICHAEL PHELPS to be considered the BEST athlete or even best OLYMPIAN athlete ever?": [QUOTE]No, it's not like 4 different pitches either. It's like having four different ways of transportation. Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE] It's an analogy, take it for what it is....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

yes, I agree with you that he has more events to compete in. Absolutely gives him an advantage (gymnasts too) in the medal counts. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

But I think it is an achievement to win a butterfly event and a breaststroke and a backstroke and a freestyle. The mode of transportation in the pool is vastly different in all four areas. Just like a gymnast who does rings, pommel horse, etc...That's why when Jenner won the decatholon in 76 it was a monumental achievement because he's participating in all of these different track events--but against just the others who are doing the same. He's not setting records in the high jump or 100 meter or 200 meter, he's beating his fellow competitors. Now Jim Thorpe, now his medals were amazing in one Olympics

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to "Re: CONTRARIAN DILEMMA: SERIOUSLY.... on what galaxy is MICHAEL PHELPS to be considered the BEST athlete or even best OLYMPIAN athlete ever?": [QUOTE]Jesus H. Jiminy, now I have to defend Phelps because idiots out there have no idea that Phelps has won in a ton of different events--including relays.  Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE] I'm perfectly aware of what phelps has accomplished, you don't have to call someone an idiot because they disagree with you......that's a statement and not an argument....and a mean one at that. Point is best athlete is very subjective and I don't think it's fair to compare a swimmer to a runner, or a discus thrower, a basketball player, a boxer, a tennis player, etc etc etc....most Olympians dont get to compete in a slew of events that all revolve around their sport.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Phelps world records and Olympic records have to be taken in account too in his greatness. If he won all his medals, but didn't set records, then it lessens his accomplishments compared to others.  Bolt is great because he is setting records while doing the 100/200.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Communist Contrarian once said that he is black. He was delighted that Serena Williams beat Sharipova and that the black gymnast won the Gold medal and how the basketball team is doing. What got him disturbed for some reason is that Phelps was quoted as saying that Michael Jordan was his idol when he was growing up. Why that bothers him is anyone's guess.