Corey Hart

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Corey Hart

I'd like to see the Red Sox sign Hart to a 1 year incentive-laden deal. Let him platoon in LF, or take the job over outright if he's fully healthy and succeeds. He could be great value. When healthy, he's a solid middle of the order bat. As a 1B/OF, he also provides insurance for Napoli. I bet he would do a lot of damage playing half his games at Fenway Park.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re: Corey Hart

In response to davidap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd like to see the Red Sox sign Hart to a 1 year incentive-laden deal. Let him platoon in LF, or take the job over outright if he's fully healthy and succeeds. He could be great value. When healthy, he's a solid middle of the order bat. As a 1B/OF, he also provides insurance for Napoli. I bet he would do a lot of damage playing half his games at Fenway Park.

[/QUOTE]

What about Nava, Gomes, Carp and Napoli?  I was all about signing Hart to an incentive laden deal in order to replace Napoli if we lost him... but with him signed, who do you trade from that group to pick up Hart?  I think the chances of us signing Hart at this point are close to zero barring a blockbuster trade at the owners meetings.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I don't expect Nava or Carp to duplicate their 2013 performances in 2014. I think Hart has greater upside. Nava and Carp are under contract at such relatively low salaries, either one of them is easily expendable. Also, keep in mind that players get hurt during the course of a season, and that some kind of trade seems inevitable (I don't see the Red Sox breaking camp with the 6-7 starters they have now). I would probably keep Nava over Carp due to Nava's superior defensive skills, defensive versatility (Carp could never play CF), and lower salary. But Hart is the only one of the three with a legitimate chance at a 30 HR season, and I think the Red Sox need to add some punch to the lineup. I don't see Bradley providing it, and Pierzynski is probably going to be about equal to Saltalamachhia in production.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Hart cant run in the OF anymore.   Playing at LF at fenway park may not be much a problem for him, but once Boston go on the road, there is no way he can cover a large left field areas!!

Forget him!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

GoUconn,

How do you know that Hart can no longer run well enough to remain as an outfielder?

Lots of guys can come back from knee surgery and still maintain high levels of play.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't expect Nava or Carp to duplicate their 2013 performances in 2014. I think Hart has greater upside. Nava and Carp are under contract at such relatively low salaries, either one of them is easily expendable. Also, keep in mind that players get hurt during the course of a season, and that some kind of trade seems inevitable (I don't see the Red Sox breaking camp with the 6-7 starters they have now). I would probably keep Nava over Carp due to Nava's superior defensive skills, defensive versatility (Carp could never play CF), and lower salary. But Hart is the only one of the three with a legitimate chance at a 30 HR season, and I think the Red Sox need to add some punch to the lineup. I don't see Bradley providing it, and Pierzynski is probably going to be about equal to Saltalamachhia in production.

[/QUOTE]

it's funny that you don't expect Nava or Carp to repeat their solid season but do for Hart who didn't even play in 2013.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Navas stats have been getting better every year he plays. Hart is a 1b with the knee surgeries. Once they signed Naps, Hart is no longer an option. We already have 3 potential LF'ers anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would go the other way and say that since Nava and Carp are under contract at such relatively low salaries, neither of them is easily expendable.  This team as constituted are under $2 million under the cap.  That means that these affordable players have more value with us than for a high priced free agent.

You do realize that Hart will probably command about a $10 mil per year salary for multiple years after the dude had DOUBLE microfracture surgery on his knees.  So that means that we have to make a move in order to free up salary and that isn't so easy to do. 

I liked Hart's bat and thought it would be a great low risk high reward signing for a guy on a short term deal, but as I said... we signed Napoli and have a top three in the league productive left field for pennies on the dollar.  Can you please lay out exactly how this could happen and why, if you have Hart on the team already but his name is Carp and is much cheaper? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

it's funny that you don't expect Nava or Carp to repeat their solid season but do for Hart who didn't even play in 2013.  

[/QUOTE]

Didn't play and had two major knee surgeries.  I agree to pass on Hart.  If we didn't sign Naps, that is one thing.  We did, so it is another thing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Didn't play and had two major knee surgeries.  I agree to pass on Hart.  If we didn't sign Naps, that is one thing.  We did, so it is another thing.

[/QUOTE]

Ive been hearing that the Sox are at about 170M right now. MLB network has been saying it. I know what the salaries are, but the way its calculated for LT purposes is probably slightly different. They have about 19M to go.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Nava stopped hitting for power after the All-Star break. Carp had one good year (last season) mostly as a pinch-hitter. Hart was an All-Star who performed at a consistently high level for several seasons and still is in his prime years. So yes, I have greater confidence in Hart to do what he's always done than in Carp to repeat what looks like a positive one year aberration. Obviously the money matters. If it will really take $10 million guaranteed to sign Hart, then forget it. But if the Red Sox were able to nab Napoli for a base salary of just $5 million in 2013, despite playing in 2012, I don't see how Hart can command much more than $3 million guaranteed when he didn't even play in 2013.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

Nava stopped hitting for power after the All-Star break. Carp had one good year (last season) mostly as a pinch-hitter. Hart was an All-Star who performed at a consistently high level for several seasons and still is in his prime years. So yes, I have greater confidence in Hart to do what he's always done than in Carp to repeat what looks like a positive one year aberration. Obviously the money matters. If it will really take $10 million guaranteed to sign Hart, then forget it. But if the Red Sox were able to nab Napoli for a base salary of just $5 million in 2013, despite playing in 2012, I don't see how Hart can command much more than $3 million guaranteed when he didn't even play in 2013.

[/QUOTE]

You're analysis of Carp is wrong.

Actually, it looks as if Carp's season was more of who he really is. He was hurt in 2012 when he had a bad year. But in 2011 in 290 AB, he batted .276 with 12 HR, 17 2B, 46 RBIs and a .791 OPS. That's not too far off this year when he had 18 2B, 9 HR, 43 RBIs, .296 BA and .885 OPS in 216 AB (only 19 as a PH so it's ridiculous to say mostly as a PH). And although it's a small sample, he did bat .269 against lefties. In 2011 he batted .306 against lefites in 72 at-bats, so Carp could very well be more than just a platoon player against righties.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Ive been hearing that the Sox are at about 170M right now. MLB network has been saying it. I know what the salaries are, but the way its calculated for LT purposes is probably slightly different. They have about 19M to go.

[/QUOTE]

This is a bit dated, but you can see the other expenses that Spier addresses that count towards the luxury tax for budgeting

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I actually thought for a second this was Carey Hart. I was thinking, does he play baseball, too? lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Always wear your sunglasses at night, and never surrender!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/mariners-to-sign-corey-hart.html

Mariners To Sign Corey Hart By Steve Adams [December 11, 2013 at 2:39pm CST]

2:39pm: Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets that Hart's deal compares favorably to Mike Napoli's contract with the Red Sox last year. Napoli signed a one-year, $5MM deal with incentives that took the deal to $13MM.

1:31pm: The Mariners will sign Corey Hart to a one-year deal, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (Twitter link). Hart is represented by CAA Sports.

Hart-Corey

Hart, 32 in March, missed the entire 2013 campaign after undergoing surgery on both knees. In his most recent healthy season, Hart delivered his typical brad of strong pop from the right side of the dish, batting .270/.334/.507 with 30 home runs. In the three seasons prior to his injury, Hart slashed .279/.343/.514 and averaged 29 homers per season, meaning his 2012 campaign was a good representation of his talent level when healthy.

As Heyman notes, Hart will slot into the Mariners lineup behind Robinson Cano, adding some more much-needed offense to a club that has struggled to score runs in recent seasons. It's not clear at this time where the Mariners envision Hart; he has extensive experience in right field and at first base.

USA Today's Bob Nightengale reports (on Twitter) that the Brewers were willing to offer Hart a contract that could reach $8MM after incentives, but they will now turn their focus to Hart. At one point, Hart had said he would take a discount to remain with Milwaukee, but his ties to GM Jack Zduriencik (Milwaukee's scouting director when Hart was drafted), the recent addition of Cano and, presumably, a larger payday all could have factored into Hart's decision to head to the Pacific Northwest.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think this is a very solid pickup for the Mariners.  They needed a bat behind Cano and they got a good one with Hart IMO.

If there is a team with the budget room, need and win now desire... it is the Mariners.  If we do trade Dempster, I think they would be the most likely trading partner. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I think this is a very solid pickup for the Mariners.  They needed a bat behind Cano and they got a good one with Hart IMO.

If there is a team with the budget room, need and win now desire... it is the Mariners.  If we do trade Dempster, I think they would be the most likely trading partner. 

For what it's worth, the Mariners today also traded for 26-year-old firstbaseman/outfielder Logan Morrison:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=9205&position=1B/OF

Whom would the Red Sox want from Seattle for Ryan Dempster (and how much of Dempster's salary would the Sox pay)?

Speculation is that Justin Smoak might be headed to Tampa Bay in a trade.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Nice pick up by the Mariniers.  One year deal sounded reasonable just like Boston did it with Napoli.

They also traded for Morrison with the Marlins!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

For what it's worth, the Mariners today also traded for 26-year-old firstbaseman/outfielder Logan Morrison:

Who would the Red Sox want from Seattle for Ryan Dempster (and how much of Dempster's salary would the Sox pay)?

Taijuan Walker is arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball right now and was rumored to be in trade talks for David Price.  That said, the number 8 pitching prospect in baseball also belongs to the Mariners and his name is Donny Hultzen.

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2013/12/06/ranking-the-top-15-mlb-pitching-prospects-heading-into-2014/

To put it in perspective, Henry Owens is number 15 on the list and none of our other pitching prospects are even on the list at all.

If we traded them Will Middlebrooks along with Dempster  we get a great prospect and shed enough payroll to sign Drew back and bump Xander to third and he backs up short.  We have much more depth at third in the minors than short stop righ now.  They get another very good bat for the lineup that they can control for years and they can sell that move to fans IMO. 

If we could get either of those guys, especially Walker we would also have to toss them back some more prospects... but we have a lot of guys right now and only so many spots on the big club. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Who would the Red Sox want from Seattle for Ryan Dempster (and how much of Dempster's salary would the Sox pay)?

Taijuan Walker is arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball right now and was rumored to be in trade talks for David Price.  That said, the number 8 pitching prospect in baseball also belongs to the Mariners and his name is Donny Hultzen.

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2013/12/06/ranking-the-top-15-mlb-pitching-prospects-heading-into-2014/

To put it in perspective, Henry Owens is number 15 on the list and none of our other pitching prospects are even on the list at all.

If we traded them Will Middlebrooks along with Dempster  we get a great prospect and shed enough payroll to sign Drew back and bump Xander to third and he backs up short.  We have much more depth at third in the minors than short stop righ now.  They get another very good bat for the lineup that they can control for years and they can sell that move to fans IMO. 

If we could get either of those guys, especially Walker we would also have to toss them back some more prospects... but we have a lot of guys right now and only so many spots on the big club. 

Ryan Dempster, a 36-year-old with a 2014 salary of $13.25 million, may have a negative trade value while Will Middlebrooks has a questionable MLB future because of his low on-base percentage, high strikeout rate and low walk rate. The Mariners would have no place for Middlebrooks with the more talented Kyle Seager holding down thirdbase.

Those two Red Sox won't bring back a great prospect, certainly not Taijuan Walker or even injured lefthander Danny Hultzen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Ryan Dempster, a 36-year-old with a 2014 salary of $13.25 million, may have a negative trade value while Will Middlebrooks has a questionable MLB future because of his low on-base percentage, high strikeout rate and low walk rate. The Mariners would have no place for Middlebrooks with the more talented Kyle Seager holding down thirdbase.

Those two Red Sox won't bring back a great prospect, certainly not Taijuan Walker or even injured lefthander Danny Hultzen.

[/QUOTE]

Can't argue with that logic.  I forgot about Seager who lead the team last year in oWAR by quite a bit.  He also lead the team in OBP even though it was only 338... so my line of thinking was that they needed offense and didn't care about OBP so much...

That said, the Mariners have some very good pitching prospects... this list is from November, but I trust fangraphs more than most sites.  They list 7 pitchers in the top 10... but I like the shortstop Chris Taylor myself.  We don't have any MLB ready depth behind Xander right now in the minors or second base.  We would be in big trouble is Xander or Pedroia got hurt as it stands right now.  This would minimize the pain.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-top-10-prospects-seattle-mariners/

I would not mind getting some SS depth with trading for Chris Taylor since he is blocked by Nick Franklin and Brad Miller.  He is patient at the plate and is an above average short stop as well as second baseman defensively.  Something we lack in our system unless you consider Marrero the same.... that said, Taylor is a much better hitter and is also in AA.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

The Mariners were 28th out of 30th last year in hitting and 26th out of 30 in pitching last year.

Believe me, they would welcome a pitcher like Dempster as he is better than most of the options not named Felix.

Mariners Starters Last Year

Felix 3.04 ERA

Iwakuma 2.66 ERA

Saunders 5.26 ERA

Harang 5.76 ERA

Maurer 6.30 ERA

Ramirez 4.98 ERA

Dempster 4.57 ERA would be the number 3 starter for them with a career 4.35 ERA and is a workhorse.

Sections
Shortcuts