Could Bard now be used as a trade chip?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Since we just aquired Melachon could Bard become a key trading chip with Oakland to aquire both Gio Ganzalez and Andrew Bailey.  If we would include Bard, Reddick, Ranauldo and Lavarnawey and maybe one more piece could this deal happen.  As mitch Williams quoted on hot stove"Bard has proven he cannot pitch in the ninth inning".  Bard seem reluctant to embrace the closer role.  If we made this trade we could then move Aceves back to the bullpen and maybe sign Sauders as our #5.  I wonder if Arizona would go for some kind of package of Bard and Ells for Upton.  Just a thought guys. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Re: Could Bard now be used as a trade chip?

BD1 - I like the outside the box thinking, but I think Bard is an impact arm and would advocate for keeping him on this roster. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Bard could be a major trade chip for this team in 2-3 yrs.  Once he gets his closer or starter job and shows effectiveness, then teams will be asking about Bard's status in 2-3 yrs. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Cant believe these people are talking about giving away young Boston's talents for a player who we all arent sure if he is talent enough to play for Boston such as people wanting to part away Ellsbury, Bard, Middlebrook, Kalish, etc.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

As a catcher at various levels for years, going to suggest that the Red Sox should not trade Ryan Lavarnway.  I predict that if the team keeps Ryan, he will be the best all round catcher/hitter since Carlton Fisk.  If the team wants to capitalize on one of its players with potential, Saltalamacchia is a much better trading chip.  Salty is a switchhitter, has some experience playing 1B and has played more ML games.  However, Salty does not have the upside which Ryan has.  I agree that King Felix and Gio would be nice additions to the rotation, however, if the Red Sox are serious at giving Daniel Bard and Alfredo Aceves opportunities at being in the starting rotation, the team should not break the bank to acquire name pitchers for the rotation. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Could Bard now be used as a trade chip?:
    Since we just aquired Melachon could Bard become a key trading chip with Oakland to aquire both Gio Ganzalez and Andrew Bailey.  If we would include Bard, Reddick, Ranauldo and Lavarnawey and maybe one more piece could this deal happen.  As mitch Williams quoted on hot stove"Bard has proven he cannot pitch in the ninth inning".  Bard seem reluctant to embrace the closer role.  If we made this trade we could then move Aceves back to the bullpen and maybe sign Sauders as our #5.  I wonder if Arizona would go for some kind of package of Bard and Ells for Upton.  Just a thought guys. 
    Posted by bigdog1
      YES, OUTSIDE THE BOX FOR SURE..... SO FAR OUT, DAD WOULD SAY........  "SON, DON'T COME HOME HERE  AFTER TOO MUCH SAUCE" !!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

As mitch Williams quoted on hot stove"Bard has proven he cannot pitch in the ninth inning".

Yeah, and I thought that was not a well thought out comment..With that said, I believe bards make up is best suited for a starter.. Hes developed his pitches over the last couple years, andfor that reason, I believe he could have success as a starter..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Posted by bigdog1
      SO WILD,  THAT EVEN THE "BIG O" WOULD VETO THIS !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Bard was the arguably the best set up man in MLB last year up until he had maybe 3 bad appearances in September, and all of a sudden "he can't handle the pressure"

That is just not a fair assessment.  Bard is a stud, and I hope if he does start he transfers into the role just fine

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Get rid of two of the best young players the Sox have to get a starter with a WHIP of 1.32 and another reliever (vice Bard he has already been very good for the Sox)? 

Madness.  Madness. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nr28. Show nr28's posts

Everything is possible, they could even trade Bard and Gonzo for Kaz Matsui

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

**** no!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Could Bard now be used as a trade chip?:
    Bard was the arguably the best set up man in MLB last year up until he had maybe 3 bad appearances in September, and all of a sudden "he can't handle the pressure" That is just not a fair assessment.  Bard is a stud, and I hope if he does start he transfers into the role just fine
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

Seriously.  I am sure that Bard's few rough outings had absolutely nothing to do with teh fact that he carried the water and Tito rode him (necessarily) hard all summer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Why?  The Sox need pitching.  Bard is a great pitcher.  Why would you trade a top shelf pitcher when you need more pitching?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Posted by bigdog1

So let me get this straight...because Daniel Bard had some issues last year during the eight inning, he has "proven that he cannot pitch in the ninth inning"? Logic?!?

Let me also get this straight...because Bard was awesome, beyond elite for five months, but clearly, obviously lost his mechanics (which has been known to happen to hard throwers) in September, he "can't handle" a particular inning?

I also find it extremely ironic that Mitch Williams was the one who made this declaration. Let's compare their career numbers, shall we?
    Williams: 3.65 era, 1.564 whip(!), 8.6 K/9, 7.1 BB/9(!!!), 111 era+, 192 saves
    Bard: 2.88 era, 1.056 whip, 9.7 K/9, 3.5 BB/9 (dropping annually), 154 era+, 5 saves
    That's pure comedy! Considering that Williams was an atrocious walk guy, don't you think he should have been some kind of scary strikeout guy? Know how many seasons Williams had with a higher K/9 rate than Bard's CAREER rate? One. If Bard "clearly cannot handle the ninth inning", I think Williams should be in a rush to pay the Cubs and Phillies back for all those save opportunities they wasted on him. Or maybe he should get off his high horse...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Hey Mitch, Bard has like a 1.36 ERA in the 9th inning in his career. Shut up fool.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

As for trading Bard, really? He is the most important reliever the team has since 2009.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

The best trade Chips are usually those other teams approach our favorite team with a proposal concerning. In almost all instances, a team does not have get word out to other teams that a player can be acquired.  It almost always better when that is left unsaid.  Does someone have an idea the player(s) you might trade Daniel Bard for and should Ben do this before or after Daniel wins the Cy Young Award?  e.g. Anthony Ranaudo is a similar pitcher with extensive collegiate experience sans ML relief experience.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

H E L L NO!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

No, a thousand times no. In fact, at this point, in addition to seeing whether Crawford can turn it around, I am most intrigued to see how Bard does as a starter. The rest is just details (well, except for enjoying having a manager who knows something about in game strategy!)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Could Bard now be used as a trade chip?:
    Cant believe these people are talking about giving away young Boston's talents for a player who we all arent sure if he is talent enough to play for Boston such as people wanting to part away Ellsbury, Bard, Middlebrook, Kalish, etc.
    Posted by GoUconn13

Nobody "wants" to trade ("part away"??) good young players, but sometimes you have to give something to get something.  And in Ellsbury's case, its just smart to trade him for some nice pieces before he bolts, which is 100% certainty.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Too many people think trades are for jettisoning unwanted players.

If a good SP can be had for Bard, it'd be worth doing.  Assuming the SP doesn't have a ridiculous contract, and the entire package isn't too costly.

For example, would anyone have parted with Bard (and Kalish) to get Trevor Cahill?  I'm not even a huge Cahill fan, and I'd have done it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Trevor Cahill for Bard and Kalish? Really? I want short of nothing but a top rotation starter for Bard (+ Kalish).

Cahill had a 97+ ERA.Which makes him a #4 starter at best. You want to trade one of the games best reliever for that?

Sections
Shortcuts