Could Delmon Young be an option for the sox to replace jd drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Could Delmon Young be an option for the sox to replace jd drew?

I was reading some rumors on the web one of which speculated that delmon young will likely be available at the deadline. He is young (25 yrs old),right handed, has huge potential, and his value will likely be less due to his slow start this year. He had a great year last year and is entering his prime. He has been pretty healthy for the most part. He missed some games during the 09 season and has missed some this year but outside of that has been healthy. The twins are terrible this year and will definetly be sellers at the deadline. I would be all for going after him if the price is right. He would be cheaper than justin upton(who i would love to get) who will probably not be available given that the dbacks are not very far out of their division though if they tank by the deadline he could be available. What do you guys think he would cost us? reddick would be a start and i am not sure who else.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

Re: Could Delmon Young be an option for the sox to replace jd drew?

It depends what they're asking. After the AGon trade I wouldn't want to make another deal that's going to clean out some prospects. Who are some free agent options?

It also depends on how Ortiz finishes the year and if he's brought back next year. 
    If they re-sign Ortiz or another comparable DH, they can choose a new RF based more on defense, or go with a young guy who can play defense and give him time to learn to hit MLB pitching. If they loose a big bat they might want to look at RF options who will provide that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If you feel you must trade for Young ok but what's the problem with keeping our prospects and playing Cam and Reddick with Drew as a sub and pinch hitter. 

If you must make a trade perhaps Doubrount and Reddick for Young.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

kalish is not the answer for sox. we really need a right handed right fielder. This team struggles against lefty pitchers because it is so left handed. Having another light hitting left handed hitter in right is not a good idea. Reddick is a better candidate than kalish if we have to pick someone in house but again i think we really need a right handed hitter. Delmon young would be cheaper in terms of prospects then someone like justin upton who the dbacks wanted the agonz package or clay buchholz for or matt kemp who i am sure the dodgers would not want to part with but if they did it would cost a fortune in prospects. Thats why i think that delmon is good option. He would cost less as the twins traded garza for hit so they cannot expect a massive return, something like reddick and doubront would probably get it done as they would get a controllable young outfielder and a good you pitcher (which they need big time) with potential.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaycoach. Show jaycoach's posts

In Response to Re: Could Delmon Young be an option for the sox to replace jd drew?:
    [QUOTE]kalish is not the answer for sox. we really need a right handed right fielder. This team struggles against lefty pitchers because it is so left handed. Having another light hitting left handed hitter in right is not a good idea. Reddick is a better candidate than kalish if we have to pick someone in house but again i think we really need a right handed hitter. Delmon young would be cheaper in terms of prospects then someone like justin upton who the dbacks wanted the agonz package or clay buchholz for or matt kemp who i am sure the dodgers would not want to part with but if they did it would cost a fortune in prospects. Thats why i think that delmon is good option. He would cost less as the twins traded garza for hit so they cannot expect a massive return, something like reddick and doubront would probably get it done as they would get a controllable young outfielder and a good you pitcher (which they need big time) with potential.
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

It is factually not true that "this team struggles against left handed pitchers".

AB   R     H   2B 3B HR RBI BB   SO   BA   OBP SLG  OPS
    vs. Left    55172147251196961112.267.344.419.763
    vs. Right 122417733277836169131243.271.345.435.781

No real difference.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

the only problem with young is that he is not the on base kind of guy that the sox like. his highest obp has been 336. and if he does not hit for the average he has in past years, his obp will sit around 300.
    even in an off year offensively, drew has a 351 obp so far. im not saying it would not be an upgrade. It just would not be enough of an upgrade to warrant a trade.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

To quote Baseball Prospectus, he is "an atrocious outfielder".  I wouldn't want him patrolling RF at Fenway. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

A much better target for the Sox might be Cameron Maybin.  He won't be cheap, but a much, much better fit.

Lowrie and Kalish might be a decent place to start...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Ya i know young is not the best fielder but say we put him in left and move crawford to right. Then young defense will not be as much of an issue. You do not need alot of range to play defense in fenway park. Manny did it for years. Cameron Maybin is not the type of player the sox need. He is a light hitting center fielder. yes he is right handed but he does not give up much offensively. I am not saying delmon young is the ideal guy to replace drew with but he is more of a realistic option than say justin upton, andre eithier, or matt kemp. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CORRADJ. Show CORRADJ's posts

We have far too many OF prospects in our system to go out and trade for one. I don't see them trading for him simply because he's a righty.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

"Ya i know young is not the best fielder but say we put him in left and move crawford to right. Then young defense will not be as much of an issue. You do not need alot of range to play defense in fenway park. Manny did it for years. Cameron Maybin is not the type of player the sox need. He is a light hitting center fielder. yes he is right handed but he does not give up much offensively. I am not saying delmon young is the ideal guy to replace drew with but he is more of a realistic option than say justin upton, andre eithier, or matt kemp."

Actually, Maybin is hitting .316 /. 375 / .532 away from Petco and crushing LHP (.381 / .435 / .548) period.  That hardly qualifies as “light hitting.”  His line against LHP would be a nice complement for a lefty-heavy team like Boston, and would easily complement some of the weaker hitters vs. LHP, such as Crawford.   (Although the Sox might not be as left-handed next year with Drew gone, Ortiz undetermined, and Ellsbury into his Boras-fueled arbitration years.)

Maybin has 5-tool talent and would be an excellent addition to RF at Fenway, assuming the Sox could get him at all.  At the very least, he is a more realistic option than Kemp, Ethier and Upton and probably a better all-around player than Young.

Moving Carl Crawford to RF seems like a mistake.  While he can certainly cover the ground, the man does not have a good throwing arm.  Delmon Young has a much better arm than Crawford

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Cameron Maybin, who remains under his team's control through the 2015 season, rivals Jacoby Ellsbury's value in the WAR* rankings this season:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=cf&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0

Maybin is three and a half years younger than Ellsbury, three years younger than Jed Lowrie and less than a year older than Ryan Kalish.

I don't see the Padres moving Maybin anytime soon ... Maybin and fellow offseason acquisitions Anthony Rizzo, Casey Kelly and Reymond Fuentes represent the future in San Diego.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

what i meant by saying that maybin is a light hitter is that he does not hit for hardly any power. He is more of an ellsbury/crawford type hitter. We need someone who is capable of hitting for power. maybin is a good player no doubt, but not the kind of guy the sox need. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Why would we want to "replace" J.D. Drew?

I keep hearing about how this guy is a great bargain.

Frankly , I've been thinking just about anyone who can play defense and hit over .260 would be a good option to replace him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Maybe ownership can loan McCourt some money to meet payroll and we can get him to trade us Matt Kemp for JD Drew. Then when he misses the next payroll JD will just push up his retirment plans.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

Is there a hell no option?  How about I'd sign J.D. Drew to a Carl Crawford deal before I'd take on Delmon Young option?  If so, I'll take either one of those.  Delmon Young is an out machine who is a butcher both in the field and on the base paths.  If you looked up the term overrated in Webster's dictionary, you'd see his face.