COULD DICE-K END UP AS THE THE RAJON RONDO OF BASEBALL?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

COULD DICE-K END UP AS THE THE RAJON RONDO OF BASEBALL?

kind of posted this from the other perspective on the celts board before. but now that dice has pitched like an all-pro again, it just seems like its time to revisit the issue on the sox board esp with bothe sox and celts on everyone's minds right now. . dice has 101 starts and one still can not reasonably ascertain if whether or not he's ready to have a breakthrough to greatness or if all this is just another tease or aberration. who is the real dice-k? 

same with rondo. he's #3 in nba jersey sales and widely perceived to be a top point guard and was an all-star (as dice-k once was), yet he often plays like an average point guard or a 10th guy. he can not be trusted with the ball at the most crucial points at the end of games. when he brings his a-game he is clearly amongst the best in his field and elevates his team band those around him both on and off the field. when he is slightly off, just like dice-k, he is a total enigma who can easily take out all the life out of his team 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: IS DICE-K THE RAJON RONDO OF BASEBALL?

In Response to IS DICE-K THE RAJON RONDO OF BASEBALL?:
    [QUOTE]kind of posted this from the other perspective on the celts board before. but now that dice has pitched like an all-pro again, it just seems like its time to revisit the issue on the sox board esp with bothe sox and celts on everyone's minds right now. . dice has 101 starts and one still can not reasonably ascertain if whether or not he's ready to have a breakthrough to greatness or if all this is just another tease or aberration. who is the real dice-k?  same with rondo. he's #3 in nba jersey sales and widely perceived to be a top point guard and was an all-star (as dice-k once was), yet he often plays like an average point guard or a 10th guy. he can not be trusted with the ball at the most crucial points at the end of games. when he brings his a-game he is clearly amongst the best in his field and elevates his team band those around him both on and off the field. when he is slightly off, just like dice-k, he is a total enigma who can easily take out all the life out of his team 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

No, not even close. Rondo might still have some maturing to do and become a bit more consistent. But he's been good to great a lot more often than DiceK and never has been as bad as DiceK is at his worst.

Rondo's worst is just being an average point guard and he has shown he can carry the team in big games.

DiceK's worst is truly horrible and because he hasn't often gone deep in games, he has rarely carried the team with a performance.

The comparison is way off IMO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Dice is more like the Vinnie Johnson of baseball.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Kind of a poor comparison. Rajon is a great player who let his ego get the best of him when his buddy Perk was traded. He played and pouted like a kid whose dog just died. Other than that, I think Rondo has been great the majority of the time while Dice has split a lot of time either being absolutely horrible or lights out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Daisuke has never been an All Star.

At least not in this league.

Daisuke went from one of his worst starts ever to one of his best within the space of a week.

The corner has not been turned. Possibly the stars were aligned perfectly today or something. I will be a believer if he can do this at least 4 times in a row.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Like the others I am not sure I buy into the parallel.

Rondo is a spectacular player at a number of elements in his game and deficient in a few. Tremendous passer, great defender, creative and explosive. His outside shot is hot and cold and free throwing is pathetic for a guard. He is someone who frankly has over achieved what people thought he was capable of since the arrival of Ray and KG. The only parallel I see is Boston fans are hard on him when he goes through a rough patch or has an off game but heck I have been on the BDC Celtics forum and PP still gets it if he has a bad game or misses a closing shot late.

Dice K is guy who everybody thought from the get-go was going to be an ace pitcher, who was on a very nice development path his first two years in Boston and has had two injury marred seasons and pitched badly in two of his 3 starts. Nothing in the upside of Dice K's game compared to his peers is as dynamic as Rondo's upside compared to peers in his game.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

A better comparison would be an NBA player who has excelled on the International stage but come up short in the NBA, or hasn't fully adjusted to the NBA game. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from theyreredhot. Show theyreredhot's posts

Dice-K is the Jermaine O'Neal of baseball. A great talent who will give you inconsistent performances. Having said that, I think both players can realize their potential with the correct supporting cast- JON with the current group of Celtics and Dice-K with Varitek. Salty just plain sucks as a game-caller now, and we have no time to get this guy trained.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

no no and no, dice k literally has one to two bad starts for every stellar performance.  Rondo plays at an exceptional level 90 % of the time, ok I don't know the exact percentage but my point is clear. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Rondo makes the Celtics go. The same can't be said of Dice-K and the Sox. Not really a fair comparison.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

perhaps i should have put more emphasis on their international aspects. rondo was downright dreadful playing with the US olympic team. he was hands-down the WORSE of their JV team. had he not read the tea leaves, he would have been cut. as things stand, he likely will NEVER be invited back esp if coach k remains in charge, there are at least 15 point guards who will be called upon before rondo's name comes up. his game doesnt transfer veey well at the international level. dice-k was just the opposite. he is a 2-time world baseball classic MVP. perhaps the BEST player consistently at that level.  yet his game does not transfer at the national (this country's) baseball level as well. rondo clearly is a better nba player than he is an international player. 

Sections
Shortcuts