Could Jacoby Ellsbury become the best player in the game within the next few years?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Could Jacoby Ellsbury become the best player in the game within the next few years?

In Response to Re: Could Jacoby Ellsbury become the best player in the game within the next few years?:
    [QUOTE]David - It proves EVERYTHING.  Don't you see?  Let me help you: The dog is wagging his tail because the Arby's clock says it's time for room service meatballs. Am I the only one who truly understands Softy?
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

You have almost cracked the nut 111.  let me help you with the final piece of the puzzle:  the question is not WHY the dog is wagging its tail, its HOW.  Answer:  Reverse Pivot.  You are welcome.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Could Jacoby Ellsbury become the best player in the game within the next few years?

In Response to Re: Could Jacoby Ellsbury become the best player in the game within the next few years?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Jacoby Ellsbury become the best player in the game within the next few years? : Bad deal.  Ellsbury has shot way past Ichiro and is 10 years younger with a lot more HR power.  Hernandez is better than Buchholz, but not that much better, plus he has never pitched a full season in the AL East. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

You'd have to assume 3 things:

1. 'in our lineup' Ichiro gets back to at least a .280/.350 guy with 175 hits and with his cannon he can play RF.

2. The decent upgrade to King Felix in the reg season (huge if Buch stays injury prone) really shows its worth in the playoffs when he is an ace throwing all these 8 inning 1-2 run gems while Buchholz stays a 2-3 starter who goes 6-7 and gives up 3.

3. The money we save with Ichiro off the books after 2012 goes to Kemp

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Manny already was slugging at a high level on a 2004 Indians team that was no good.

You heard it hear first folks. Manny was moonlighting for the Cleveland Indians in 2004. Who knew?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Well played Spaceman ... well played indeed.  Clearly having you behind me in our lineup has made me look better than I actually am.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]Have to agree with Softee on this one ... Els is great, but PD and Gonzo are a huge reason why he is having such a great year.  Gonzo leads the league in hits.  He can hit anything.  PD has become PD again, and what else is there to say.  Els gets good balls to hit because they won't pitch around him to get to PD then Gonzo ... that would be suicide.   Pitchers have intentionally walked Gonzo with Youk up next, who would have thought that would ever happen?  But the point is NOBODY walks Els to get to PD, and NOBODY walks PD to get to Gonzo.   Els gets pitches to hit because of this.     Els has played great, no doubt.  If he does this again next year, I would say he has arrived.   Bay had a great year here too.    Els will always have skills, but to say he will be one of the best is a tough call at this point. 
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]
     Ellsbury gets good pitches because if you walk him you may find him standing on third with an RBI guy at the plate a couple of seconds later. It's great having him followed by guys who can drive in runs, but it's also terrific to have a guy at the top of your lineup who's on track to get 200 hits and has blinding speed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Manny already was slugging at a high level on a 2004 Indians team that was no good. He was what transformed the Indians and brought in more talent to go around him. Kid, you are still slobbering about Tex coming to Red Sox. You are clueless.

2004 Indians? What?? hahaha

Manny turned a World Series appearing team without him into the same thing with him, then a declining ALCS team before he jumped ship???

hahaha

Your 'AGon is to 07-10 San Diego what Manny was to 97-'00 Cleveland takes the cake of some of the biggets idiocy of the year.

You cowardly bring up a non-issue from 2008 to try and 'discredit me' while you are humiliated and shown a fool and reviled left and right on this board in 2011

You have been demolshed and your small petty hate of half this team exposed. Terrible person. I pity you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Jacoby Ellsbury become the best player in the game within the next few years? : You have almost cracked the nut 111.  let me help you with the final piece of the puzzle:  the question is not WHY the dog is wagging its tail, its HOW.  Answer:  Reverse Pivot.  You are welcome.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

hahahaha

and he just said Manny was on the 2004 Indians and his "try it in Seattle'/'anybody with these hitter behind him' arguments were ripped to bits by stats

he has humiliated himself again

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]and I'd love to put Ells in Seattle Ellsbury and Buchholz (with Jenks thrown in) for King Felix and Ichiro 1 year of Ichiro at 17 million. He is 37 and having a bad year. He has had 3,600 hits since 1993...haha... as the ignorant bellow 'its all about the lineup' maybe we can get one more .300/.360 year out of Ichiro with 200 hits. Seattle gets their hometown star and extends him on Borad's terms. We get 17m off the books after 2012 to go after Kemp. Ichiro Crawford Pedroia AGon Youk Papi is a scary 1-6 and Felix just makes our rotation so dominant
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]
    Huh?

Bobby Jenks went to high school in the Seattle area, but he hardly qualifies as a "star." Jacoby Ellsbury grew up and went to college about the same distance from Seattle that Philadelphia is from Boston. Seattle is hardly Ellsbury's hometown.

That package would not be nearly enough to lure Felix Hernandez away from Seattle.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]Heck, he even has more dingers than AGon and more runs scored. Put him in Seattle leadoff and see how many runs he scores.
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

people are now talking gold glove for ells now.how does that make you feel?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]Have to agree with Softee on this one ... Els is great, but PD and Gonzo are a huge reason why he is having such a great year. Gonzo leads the league in hits. He can hit anything. PD has become PD again, and what else is there to say. Els gets good balls to hit because they won't pitch around him to get to PD then Gonzo ... that would be suicide. Pitchers have intentionally walked Gonzo with Youk up next, who would have thought that would ever happen? But the point is NOBODY walks Els to get to PD, and NOBODY walks PD to get to Gonzo. Els gets pitches to hit because of this. Els has played great, no doubt. If he does this again next year, I would say he has arrived. Bay had a great year here too. Els will always have skills, but to say he will be one of the best is a tough call at this point. A sober mind in a drunken den. Manny already was slugging at a high level on a 2004 Indians team that was no good. He was what transformed the Indians and brought in more talent to go around him. Kid, you are still slobbering about Tex coming to Red Sox. You are clueless. 

know what transforms the sox CRAWBURYTongue out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Jacoby Ellsbury become the best player in the game within the next few years? : Huh? Bobby Jenks went to high school in the Seattle area, but he hardly qualifies as a "star." Jacoby Ellsbury grew up and went to college about the same distance from Seattle that Philadelphia is from Boston. Seattle is hardly Ellsbury's hometown. That package would not be nearly enough to lure Felix Hernandez away from Seattle.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Whatever, as close to Oregon as you can get in MLB sarcastamasta

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]Have to agree with Softee on this one ... Els is great, but PD and Gonzo are a huge reason why he is having such a great year. Gonzo leads the league in hits. He can hit anything. PD has become PD again, and what else is there to say. Els gets good balls to hit because they won't pitch around him to get to PD then Gonzo ... that would be suicide. Pitchers have intentionally walked Gonzo with Youk up next, who would have thought that would ever happen? But the point is NOBODY walks Els to get to PD, and NOBODY walks PD to get to Gonzo. Els gets pitches to hit because of this. Els has played great, no doubt. If he does this again next year, I would say he has arrived. Bay had a great year here too. Els will always have skills, but to say he will be one of the best is a tough call at this point. A sober mind in a drunken den. Manny already was slugging at a high level on a 2004 Indians team that was no good. He was what transformed the Indians and brought in more talent to go around him. Kid, you are still slobbering about Tex coming to Red Sox. You are clueless. 

Who played left field for the Sox in 2004?  Was he Manny's evil twin?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Jacoby Ellsbury become the best player in the game within the next few years? : When Pedey, Bay and Youk hit behind Ells in '09... and combined for about 80 HR's, 175 RBI's and a .900 OPS, everyone RIPPED into Ells for having  .347 OBP, .750 OPS and 4 Hr's in his 500 AB's from the leadoff spot. In 2009 Ells also had VMart hit 15 HR's, 67 RBI's and a .912 OPS down the stretch (last 56 games) after the trade and Papi catch fire 2nd half of the year with 20 HR's, 60 RBI and an .885 OPS after the all-star break. So when we had FIVE dominant hitters down the stretch in '09 people were often upset with Ells...and now we have THREE (4 if you consider the injured Youk and his mediocre .266/.380/.881 line) dominant hitters and Ells is hitting.. .322/.378/.902 in 475 AB's from leadoff w/ 20 of his 21 HR's and 73 of his 81 RBI. ...and it is because of the hitters behind him???? hahahahahahahahaha
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Gonzo leads the LEAGUE in BA and HITS and total bases.    Bay???? Never close to that.  Youk???? never close to that.  What is your point?!?!?!?

None of them have hit like Gonzo, or maybe you can't read stats.   Or worse, maybe you think leading in hits and BA while being a slugger means nothing??? 

Comparing Bay to Gonzo is just plain asinine.    This team leads the league in runs scored, and has done so before Jake was even a thought for MVP.   I never ranked on Jake for anything, but to deny he is benefiting from Gonzo and PD is totally inane. 

And what's with the laughter in your post, is that how you make a point?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Jacoby Ellsbury become the best player in the game within the next few years? : Gonzo leads the LEAGUE in BA and HITS and total bases.    Bay???? Never close to that.  Youk???? never close to that.  What is your point?!?!?!? None of them have hit like Gonzo, or maybe you can't read stats.   Or worse, maybe you think leading in hits and BA while being a slugger means nothing???  Comparing Bay to Gonzo is just plain asinine.     This team leads the league in runs scored, and has done so before Jake was even a thought for MVP.   I never ranked on Jake for anything, but to deny he is benefiting from Gonzo and PD is totally inane.  And what's with the laughter in your post, is that how you make a point?
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]Who benefits from who, is like what came first the chicken or the egg? A-Gon is at the top of the RBi list in part because of having Ells and Pedey in front of him.

Ellsbury may well be the consistent hitter this team has had this year. His slumps have been far shorter than Pedey's, Youk's or even A-Gon who I think the world of because even when he is slumping he seems to get his RBI.

How much Ellsbury or any player in this line-up benefits from the others surrounding him is a matter of debate. All I know is when Scutaro is in the same batting order position the team is no where near as good, so the effect of Pedey and A-Gon only goes so far. Not having Pedy at the 2 didn't seem to matter in the last couple of days in Texas. It is only one season but it is wonderful season so far.

Regardless of where Ellsbury ranks amongst all the other players in MLB, I am glad he is on our side and his maturiation is quite pleasing to all RS fans who put the team's best interests in front of their personal feelings/ego/bias IMHO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I provided no stats on Tex, only 48 hours of opinion we were the fav's to get him... i stick by what I say... you are banned so often it gives you a chance to spin and come up with new lies and new ways to hate

This thread and the others I wrote in on Ells today are full of stats that prove you wrong. You lost. The kid is good. You are petty and childish. All facts. move on.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Jacoby Ellsbury become the best player in the game within the next few years? : Gonzo leads the LEAGUE in BA and HITS and total bases.    Bay???? Never close to that.  Youk???? never close to that.  What is your point?!?!?!? None of them have hit like Gonzo, or maybe you can't read stats.   Or worse, maybe you think leading in hits and BA while being a slugger means nothing???  Comparing Bay to Gonzo is just plain asinine.     This team leads the league in runs scored, and has done so before Jake was even a thought for MVP.   I never ranked on Jake for anything, but to deny he is benefiting from Gonzo and PD is totally inane.  And what's with the laughter in your post, is that how you make a point?

I was pretty amused that we don't have quite combination of talent (2 great, 2 good) behind Ells now that we had in 09 (2 great, 2 very good, 2 good).

Ells benefits for sure... he gets pitches to hit... so many others in great lineups do as well and many leadoff guys we'd have been happy to have him become (Lofton/Damon) NEVER had a year like this.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This is getting kind of ridiculous.  Fact: No pitcher wants to walk a leadoff hitter who can steal.   Fact: Sox have almost always had a great #3 hitter.  Fact: Most every good team has a great #3 hitter.  Fact: On the good teams , the hitters all help each other to look good.  Fact: Gonzalez is having a great , MVP caliber year. Fact: Pedroia is having a great , MVP caliber year.  Fact: Ellsbury is having a great , MVP caliber year.  Facts are facts. It is absurd to deny this reality. The numbers speak for themselves. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

I tried using Google Translate

You tried to use your fingers, but your brain is google ga ga.

Amusing how an Erstad year in front of 2011 Pedroia and Agon becomes "an MVP season" and "forget his career averages and forget Crawford 2010 and 2011".

Fact: OPS of .894 is not team MVP material, much less MLB. See Granderson, wrong color and wrong team. Far superior talent. Despite bad year for Crawford, Crawford is a superior talent with a slightly worse swing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Jacoby Ellsbury become the best player in the game within the next few years? : Ummm...this is Ellsbury's third full season.  Sometimes it takes a few seasons for hitters to develop as home run hitters.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Great point. It use to be in the NFL when a QB was drafted they would sit and watch for 3-5 years learning the craft, and now if they don't start in their rookie year they are considered failures by some. Many baseball players improve as they progress through their careers. Comparing one players home run stats to anothers to start their careers is pointless. Granderson may age early and retire early at 32, while Ells could play till he's 40. Each players career should be taken individually on its own merit to a point.

Hetchinspete.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Well, gents ... Gonzo crushed that one ... 4 Hrs, 3 days ... hope he keeps it up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Well, gents ... Gonzo crushed that one ... 4 Hrs, 3 days ... hope he keeps it up.

AGon's still my pick for MVP, but what does this have to do with the thread?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I find it funny that Babe starts accusing Ellsbury of using steroids.  What a little sour puss.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Well played Spaceman ... well played indeed.  Clearly having you behind me in our lineup has made me look better than I actually am.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

LMAO...nice sequence of posts by you and Spaceman.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Meanwhile Granderson has had a dramatic spike in power but that is not in any way suspicious!  What a hypocrite!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from (-)TheBabe(-). Show (-)TheBabe(-)'s posts

[QUOTE]Meanwhile Granderson has had a dramatic spike in power but that is not in any way suspicious!  What a hypocrite!

Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

Umm...Granderson's previous high was 30 in a less hitter friendly park than Yankee Stadium. That's not a "dramatic spike"

Think much before you post?