could LACKEY have the ANGELS lacking for a shutout or no-hitter?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: could LACKEY have the ANGELS lacking for a shutout or no-hitter?

No.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No, I think 'revenge' against a team that you played for for 8 years is overrated.  It's not like they cut him and badmouthed him out the door.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Dont know about a no hitter, but I expect him to pitch decent enough to win. I also expect this team to say screw you to last night's loss and come out fighting tonight.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It will be tough for the Sox to shake off last night's debacle.  After the choke job in the 9th, all the air went out of the offense. Now , they face Weaver. Next up - Hernandez.  Let's just hope this loss does not lead to a tailspin.  The Yankees have an easy schedule leading up to the break. They could possibly run the table. Things can turn around in a hurry.  Last night was a total meltdown. It will not be easy to bounce back from that mess.

Stabbed by Foulke.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Should be a good game. Obviously Lackey has something to prove to his former team or at least I would guess would like to.

And an earlier start than last night.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

It will be tough for the Sox to shake off last night's debacle.  After the choke job in the 9th, all the air went out of the offense. Now , they face Weaver. Next up - Hernandez.  Let's just hope this loss does not lead to a tailspin.  The Yankees have an easy schedule leading up to the break. They could possibly run the table. Things can turn around in a hurry.  Last night was a total meltdown. It will not be easy to bounce back from that mess.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Maybe, but as bad as it was, you have sort of look at is as an anomale. We had one of those at home on Memorial day and got a win. You had a rookie pitcher who was able to get two outs, but where he really lost it was with the hbp--thats what really set up the mess. Then you dump Uehara into a bases loaded mess with Pujols/Hamilton. Granted he should have gotten one of them out, but then you get the routine bouncer to third that should have ended the game, but another rookie panicked and made a bad choice, then a bad throw. Id have to see more evidence than just that ninth inning to say they might not bounce back. The club still has a 5 game lead, best to take it in stride, forget about it and move on. If they lose tonight, I dont think it will be because of the collapse.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

Maybe, but as bad as it was, you have sort of look at is as an anomale. We had one of those at home on Memorial day and got a win. You had a rookie pitcher who was able to get two outs, but where he really lost it was with the hbp--thats what really set up the mess. Then you dump Uehara into a bases loaded mess with Pujols/Hamilton. Granted he should have gotten one of them out, but then you get the routine bouncer to third that should have ended the game, but another rookie panicked and made a bad choice, then a bad throw. Id have to see more evidence than just that ninth inning to say they might not bounce back. The club still has a 5 game lead, best to take it in stride, forget about it and move on. If they lose tonight, I dont think it will be because of the collapse.

[/QUOTE]

Losses like that can be demoralizing.  Let's see how the rest of the trip goes. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[/QUOTE]

I have never believed any loss ever demoralized any team. I also believe a big come from behind win does not affect them either.

The player(s) responsible can not allow one game to bother them or get then too high. Those that do are not in the show for long.

Snyder went to bed last night and probably had a good nights sleep as he forgot about by the time the team got back to the hotel. The loss was not talked by the team at all after the game. If Snyder is still thinking about that play today he will be back in AAA very soon.

Players who have long pro careers in all sports have very short memories. Yesterday and tommorro mean nothing today is what is important.

Question: When you won or lost a game did you think about it the next day?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

I have never believed any loss ever demoralized any team. I also believe a big come from behind win does not affect them either.

The player(s) responsible can not allow one game to bother them or get then too high. Those that do are not in the show for long.

Snyder went to bed last night and probably had a good nights sleep as he forgot about by the time the team got back to the hotel. The loss was not talked by the team at all after the game. If Snyder is still thinking about that play today he will be back in AAA very soon.

Players who have long pro careers in all sports have very short memories. Yesterday and tommorro mean nothing today is what is important.

[/QUOTE]

Disagree. There is a mental aspect of the game. Winning breeds confidence. Tough losses can breed doubt. Did you think there was a good chance that we would win in extra innings after blowing the lead in the ninth?  As for Snyder, he choked plain and simple. He can' t just put it out of his mind easily. By the way, he should be back in AAA now. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Disagree. There is a mental aspect of the game.

There is but it is about the grind not one win or loss.

Winning breeds confidence. Yes but it is about confidence that you are a good team and can compete on a daily basis. All players know you are going to win 5 in a row just as you are going to loss 5 in a row.

Bailey lost confidence after (IMHO) after 3 BS not after one or two. I also believe his closer capabilities won't totally come back until he does it twice not once.

Tough losses can breed doubt. One tough loss won't but two or three could in certain players. If a team has confidence as the RS have lasy nights win will mean nothing. They will come out and play just as they did yesterday.

Confidence does not come and go based upon one win or loss.

Again players who get hung up on one loss are not long for MLB. Think about Pedroia if he lost confidence he never would have made it after hitting 150 his first month and half in MLB.

Did you think there was a good chance that we would win in extra innings after blowing the lead in the ninth?  

Of course they are a good team.

As for Snyder, he choked plain and simple. He can' t just put it out of his mind easily. If he does not he will be back in AAA soon.

By the way, he should be back in AAA now. 

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Disagree. There is a mental aspect of the game. Winning breeds confidence. Tough losses can breed doubt. Did you think there was a good chance that we would win in extra innings after blowing the lead in the ninth?  As for Snyder, he choked plain and simple. He can' t just put it out of his mind easily. By the way, he should be back in AAA now. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you both if thats possible. These guys didnt get to where they are by allowing things like that to effect them. But I think it will effect them if they go out and try to "make up" for the loss by doing more than they would do in a typical game and typical AB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Winning breeds confidence. Yes but it is about confidence that you are a good team and can compete on a daily basis. All players know you are going to win 5 in a row just as you are going to loss 5 in a row.

Bailey lost confidence after (IMHO) after 3 BS not after one or two. I also believe his closer capabilities won't totally come back until he does it twice not once.

Tough losses can breed doubt. One tough loss won't but two or three could in certain players. If a team has confidence as the RS have lasy nights win will mean nothing. They will come out and play just as they did yesterday.

Again players who get hung up on one loss are not long for MLB. Think about Pedroia if he lost confidence he never would have made it after hitting 150 his first month and half in MLB.

Did you think there was a good chance that we would win in extra innings after blowing the lead in the ninth?  

As for Snyder, he choked plain and simple. He can' t just put it out of his mind easily. If he does not he will be back in AAA soon.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There are losses and then there are losses. Blowing a four run lead in the ninth is not your run of the mill loss. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

There are losses and then there are losses. Blowing a four run lead in the ninth is not your run of the mill loss. 

[/QUOTE]

But youre going to have losses like that no matter how good the team is. Remember the Sept 2007 game against NY where they blew a 7-2 lead in the 8th and lost 9-7? Francona even brought in Papelbon to stop the bleeding but NY kept right on hitting. The Sox won 11-1 the next day. Its what you do with the loss more than the loss itself, and that goes to team character.   IMO this team is mentally tougher than the 11 version, but a couple games from now we will know if that opinion is well founded or a fool's errand. The injury to Miller worries me more than the actual loss because that could have a greater long term effect.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Also, it would be worse if Bailey or Uehara came into the ninth with clean inning and a 4 run lead and blew it. As it was, it took two shaky rookies to create the situation and make the disaster happen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Forget the error last night.  The bullpen gave up 10 hits and 6 runs, pure and simple, and the staff gave up 17 hits total.  It happens, even to the best of teams. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But youre going to have losses like that mo matter how good the team is. Remember the Sept 2007 game against NY where they blew a 7-2 lead in the 8th and lost 9-7? They won 11-1 the next day. Its what you do with the loss more than the loss itself, and that goes to team character.   IMO this team is mentally tougher than the 11 version, but a couple games from now we will know if that opinion is well founded or a fool's errand. The injury to Miller worries me more than the actual loss because that could have a greater long term effect.

[/QUOTE]

I could not help but notice how feeble our offense became in the 10th and 11th.  I still think there had to be a letdown from the shock of the 9th inning. It will not be easy to put it in the rear view mirror. We'll have to see how it plays out on the rest of this trip. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

BTW, Mariano Rivera has just blown a save in NY. This is just what we needed today. Balt needs to win game three. So it happens to the best of us. Hopefully the O's can hang on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But youre going to have losses like that mo matter how good the team is. Remember the Sept 2007 game against NY where they blew a 7-2 lead in the 8th and lost 9-7? They won 11-1 the next day. Its what you do with the loss more than the loss itself, and that goes to team character.   IMO this team is mentally tougher than the 11 version, but a couple games from now we will know if that opinion is well founded or a fool's errand. The injury to Miller worries me more than the actual loss because that could have a greater long term effect.

[/QUOTE]

I could not help but notice how feeble our offense became in the 10th and 11th.  I still think there had to be a letdown from the shock of the 9th inning. It will not be easy to put it in the rear view mirror. We'll have to see how it plays out on the rest of this trip. 

[/QUOTE]

A letdown that night yes, but today is a new day. We'll see, that BS by Rivera will help energize the Sox a little if Baltimore holds on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Also, it would be worse if Bailey or Uehara came into the ninth with clean inning and a 4 run lead and blew it. As it was, it took two shaky rookies to create the situation and make the disaster happen.

I can see Farrell trying to get by with Wilson with the four run lead. I think it was a mistake to leave him in until Pujols came up as the tying run.  It was quickly apparent that Wilson was sweating bullets and would have to be lucky to get it done.  Should have went to the closer at least one batter sooner. As for Snyder, he choked on an easy play. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yip. O's hold on to win....Rivera given a 1-0 lead blows it and NY loses 2-1. Big break for the Sox, I think this will help ease last nights fall. If it can happen to Mo it can happen to anyone. Time to move on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

I can see Farrell trying to get by with Wilson with the four run lead. I think it was a mistake to leave him in until Pujols came up as the tying run.  It was quickly apparent that Wilson was sweating bullets and would have to be lucky to get it done.  Should have went to the closer at least one batter sooner. As for Snyder, he choked on an easy play. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes. My thought was to remove him when Trout came up. He let him go one batter too far.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And Im sure most of the guys in the clubhouse feel sorry for the kid. He just panicked and made a bad choice. That being the case, it may ameliorate the loss or any hangover from it. We'll see.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I remember reading a tweet from one of the press guys in the clubhouse after the last tough loss - I think it was after Bailey's last blown save.  Anyway, the tweet said that the body language and atmosphere in the clubhouse was good after that loss, and that the team was already focused on the next day's game.

Yes, a loss like this can have a lingering effect.  But I think with the make up of this team and with Farrell at the helm, it won't be a problem with this club.

I think it devastates the fans a lot more than it does the team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Just Take The Series, Dont Care How We Do It, Just Win, I Would Love To Have The SOX Up By 6 At The Break...

Sections
Shortcuts