could LACKEY have the ANGELS lacking for a shutout or no-hitter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: could LACKEY have the ANGELS lacking for a shutout or no-hitter?

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

I could not help but notice how feeble our offense became in the 10th and 11th.  I still think there had to be a letdown from the shock of the 9th inning. It will not be easy to put it in the rear view mirror. We'll have to see how it plays out on the rest of this trip. 

I remember reading a tweet from one of the press guys in the clubhouse after the last tough loss - I think it was after Bailey's last blown save.  Anyway, the tweet said that the body language and atmosphere in the clubhouse was good after that loss, and that the team was already focused on the next day's game.

Yes, a loss like this can have a lingering effect.  But I think with the make up of this team and with Farrell at the helm, it won't be a problem with this club.

I think it devastates the fans a lot more than it does the team.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. They have shown resilience. But this was a really tough pill to swallow. Let's hope they shake it off again. How they do on the rest of this trip will tell the tale. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

[QUOTE]

Losses like that can be demoralizing.  Let's see how the rest of the trip goes. 

I have never believed any loss ever demoralized any team. I also believe a big come from behind win does not affect them either.

The player(s) responsible can not allow one game to bother them or get then too high. Those that do are not in the show for long.

Snyder went to bed last night and probably had a good nights sleep as he forgot about by the time the team got back to the hotel. The loss was not talked by the team at all after the game. If Snyder is still thinking about that play today he will be back in AAA very soon.

Players who have long pro careers in all sports have very short memories. Yesterday and tommorro mean nothing today is what is important.

Question: When you won or lost a game did you think about it the next day?

[/QUOTE]

Disagree. There is a mental aspect of the game. Winning breeds confidence. Tough losses can breed doubt. Did you think there was a good chance that we would win in extra innings after blowing the lead in the ninth?  As for Snyder, he choked plain and simple. He can' t just put it out of his mind easily. By the way, he should be back in AAA now. 

[/QUOTE]

The professionals can, and do put it out of their mind. They move on and dont dwell about one game out of 162. They usually cant wait for the next day for a fresh start and another chance to win.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I have never believed any loss ever demoralized any team. I also believe a big come from behind win does not affect them either.

The player(s) responsible can not allow one game to bother them or get then too high. Those that do are not in the show for long.

Snyder went to bed last night and probably had a good nights sleep as he forgot about by the time the team got back to the hotel. The loss was not talked by the team at all after the game. If Snyder is still thinking about that play today he will be back in AAA very soon.

Players who have long pro careers in all sports have very short memories. Yesterday and tommorro mean nothing today is what is important.

[/QUOTE]

Disagree. There is a mental aspect of the game. Winning breeds confidence. Tough losses can breed doubt. Did you think there was a good chance that we would win in extra innings after blowing the lead in the ninth?  As for Snyder, he choked plain and simple. He can' t just put it out of his mind easily. By the way, he should be back in AAA now. 

[/QUOTE]

The professionals can, and do put it out of their mind. They move on and dont dwell about one game out of 162. They usually cant wait for the next day for a fresh start and another chance to win.

[/QUOTE]

Okay. Let's see how the rest of this trip plays out. See if we can put this one aside and get back to our winning ways.  Of course, if we go on a losing streak, no one will admit that this was a factor. They will just attribute it to something else. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:

lack is motivated. everything for a great performance is there. coming off a loss, tired bullpen, chance for reenge, national stage and so forth. his chance to get the focus on him from the national media!

Great call--the shutout lasted for one out.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Great start. Way to put last night behind them.  First and third, nobody out. We mess it up. Three of the first six hitters strikeout.  Lackey serves up a gopher. Yeah.  Not to worry. Last night is forgotten. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sox "professionals" have done a good job of putting it out of their mind. Unfortunately, they have not scored a run since the ninth inning debacle.  Southpaw,  let's hope they move on before this becomes a full blown slump.  I have been playing and watching baseball for a long time. I have a pretty good idea of what is happening. This was a very bad loss. It can easily lead to a losing streak. Just as winning is contagious, so is losing. And this was not your usual loss. It was a demoralizing fiasco. A four run lead blown in the ninth inning, capped by an obvious choke error . Followed by an offense that just shut down while waiting for the Angel's walk off. The offense, as I expected , has continued to flounder tonight.  On to Seattle.  Will we shake it off then? Don't count on it. Believe me , these kinds of things can result in a period of losing baseball. I write this while tonight's game is in progress. But I know that this team is down right now. The chances of them coming back to win tonight are not good. Say what you want, but I have been right more than wrong on this forum.  I am not just sounding off.  To say that a crushing defeat like last night's can simply be shaken off is just not true, not matter how much we wish it were. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Folks, I hate to say I told you so, but I can't resist. I have been playing and watching and studying this game for a long time. I am not always right , but I am right more often than not. As I predicted after watching the Sox offense shut it down after last night's ninth inning meltdown, they would have trouble shaking it off. You can see what happened tonight. Absolutely feeble . Lackey pitched well , but the offense was missing in action. Will it change in Seattle? Don't count on it. Tell me again about how " professionals" just shake it off. I am not at all surprised at tonight's pathetic performance. Are you ?  It is not that I am a seer or anything. Just that I have a feel for things based on years of experience.  I don't expect any of you to say " galehouse , you were right" . Instead you will come up with another reason for tonight's letdown. Check it out. I have been right time and again. One can play around with all of the fashionable metric stats all they want, but pure, old fashioned baseball common sense still matters. The Sox suffered a crushing defeat last night, and it carried over, as I said it would. Deny it all you want. The scoreboard tells it all. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

All in all, the OP wasn't far off the mark.  Lackey did pitch well.

As for dgalehouse's "prediction," what I saw last night was a great pitching job by Weaver, especially in the 1st inning with two on and no outs.  He got lucky when Pedroia lined out, but struck out Ortiz by working the outside of the plate in 3 or 4 pitches.  Then he used the slider on Napoli for another K.  Weaver showed why he's been so good for so long, using an assortment of breaking balls and rarely throwing his 87 mph fastball over the plate while going 7 shutout innings.  I think the loss of sleep getting to the west coast may finally have caught up with the Sox, especially after the extra inning game.  let's not forget too the Sox lead MLB in games played in an especially long first half of the season, 97 games at the all-star break.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I've always found the fan's perspective to be at least "interesting".  When their team shuts out another team it was "a stellar pitching performance" that was responsible for it, but when their team GETS shut out it's because, "these guys can't hit", or in this case it's because they lost the night before. 

Maybe, just maybe, the reason the Sox didn't score off Weaver is because when he's "on" he's one of the best pitchers in the AL - and he was "on" last night. 

I wouldn't completely rule out the fatigue factor in flying to the WC followed by the 14 inning game either, but IMO we're far from an extended losing streak.  John Lackey pitched another gem last night and on most nights against most teams with most pitchers the Sox would have won that game. 

Contrary to what some would have you believe, the sky is NOT falling.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Folks, I hate to say I told you so, but I can't resist. I have been playing and watching and studying this game for a long time. I am not always right , but I am right more often than not. As I predicted after watching the Sox offense shut it down after last night's ninth inning meltdown, they would have trouble shaking it off. You can see what happened tonight. Absolutely feeble . Lackey pitched well , but the offense was missing in action. Will it change in Seattle? Don't count on it. Tell me again about how " professionals" just shake it off. I am not at all surprised at tonight's pathetic performance. Are you ?  It is not that I am a seer or anything. Just that I have a feel for things based on years of experience.  I don't expect any of you to say " galehouse , you were right" . Instead you will come up with another reason for tonight's letdown. Check it out. I have been right time and again. One can play around with all of the fashionable metric stats all they want, but pure, old fashioned baseball common sense still matters. The Sox suffered a crushing defeat last night, and it carried over, as I said it would. Deny it all you want. The scoreboard tells it all. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

C'mon gale...look, I respect your opinion, I think you're a smart fan.  And that second game was a brutal loss.  But you're leaving out the fact that Weaver is one of the best pitchers in the league.  He's been in the top 5 in the Cy Young 3 years in a row, with an ERA of 3.01, 2.41 and 2.81.

And as Earl Weaver said 'momentum is the next day's starting pitcher'.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sox "professionals" have done a good job of putting it out of their mind. Unfortunately, they have not scored a run since the ninth inning debacle.  Southpaw,  let's hope they move on before this becomes a full blown slump.  I have been playing and watching baseball for a long time. I have a pretty good idea of what is happening. This was a very bad loss. It can easily lead to a losing streak. Just as winning is contagious, so is losing. And this was not your usual loss. It was a demoralizing fiasco. A four run lead blown in the ninth inning, capped by an obvious choke error . Followed by an offense that just shut down while waiting for the Angel's walk off. The offense, as I expected , has continued to flounder tonight.  On to Seattle.  Will we shake it off then? Don't count on it. Believe me , these kinds of things can result in a period of losing baseball. I write this while tonight's game is in progress. But I know that this team is down right now. The chances of them coming back to win tonight are not good. Say what you want, but I have been right more than wrong on this forum.  I am not just sounding off.  To say that a crushing defeat like last night's can simply be shaken off is just not true, not matter how much we wish it were. 

[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt be surpried if they lost a few on this WC trip regardless of what game "started" it. I still believe from past games that this team does exactly what I said. They move on. Weaver pitched another great game, which is what great pitchers do. I will not believe that the letdown from one game caused a losing streak, not with this team. They usually dont do good on WC trips regardless.

I really dont think that this team is that mentally weak. They have some holes that need to be addressed and a couple injuried players that need to return. If Iggy was at 3rd, does he mess that play up? If Miller doesnt get hurt and Wilson doesnt have to rush into the game, do the Halos go on a tear? Things happen, thats baseball. Professional players know that and have already been throught that. One game isnt going to effect them like you think. I played baseball a long time too and also understand this game from a fan/amateur perspective, as well as talking to professional GM's, players/coaches etc., to get a good sense of how they might be thinking too.

Kimmi is right. The fans are usually much more emotional than the players. Much more.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Weaver is a good pitcher. No doubt about that. He does not always pitch a shutout. We have beaten good pitchers this year. Weaver went 6.2 innings. De LaRosa, Downs and Frieri pitched the final 2.1 innings and held us hitless while striking out four.   We are facing a better pitcher tonight. Pretty good one Tuesday night.  There are good pitchers going in just about every series.  Are we going to keep using that as an excuse ? The Sox offense had an instant letdown following the blown four run lead. They have not snapped out of it yet. Will be tough to snap out of it against Hernandez. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

So the deep counts the Sox batters worked against Weaver was evidence that they were hung over from Saturday? The rocket PD hit right at Callaspo was a sure sign of it? Sometimes you just get beat. Theyd have lost that game no matter what happened on Saturday.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

So the deep counts the Sox batters worked against Weaver was evidence that they were hung over from Saturday? The rocket PD hit right at Callaspo was a sure sign of it? Sometimes you just get beat. Theyd have lost that game no matter what happened on Saturday.

[/QUOTE]

Well , they got shut out on five hits.  How often has that happened ?  Maybe it is just a coincidence that it happened following the previous night's meltdown.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Well , they got shut out on five hits.  How often has that happened ?  Maybe it is just a coincidence that it happened following the previous night's meltdown.  

[/QUOTE]

Id say it is dg, and Id say they could well lose the next two also--and I posted that Saturday before the game in Jim's Overreaction thread. They may split with Sea, and lose two of three in Oak, that was what I figured on. If that happens, its a 4-6 trip. My initial prediction was 5-5, which means we had the one anomale on Saturday night. End of story, no big deal. Even so, we can make up that extra game by beating Hernandez or Iwakuma--which is certainly possible. I do agree that the bullpen needs help, and that we need a power RH bat. If Buchholz, Miller and WM would get back healthy/get back into form that would solve a lot of this. I know we all got burned bad in 2011, but its not time to stay up all night just yet, the schedule softens up a little in a couple weeks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Also, just let me add that if they lose 3/4 in Sea and get swept in Oak I'll be genuinely worried. But even if that happens, all it shows is that there is something inherently wrong with the team that was latent the entire time, not that they lost one tough game and just totally melted down for the next week. Thats absurd.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

West coast trips are always a tough test. I just think that losing a game that we had all but in the bag makes things more difficult and stressful.  I still think that there is a lingering effect, even though the players will deny it. 

Stabbed by Foulke

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

West coast trips are always a tough test. I just think that losing a game that we had all but in the bag makes things more difficult and stressful.  I still think that there is a lingering effect, even though the players will deny it. 

Stabbed by Foulke

Always has been dg, cant tell you the frustrating nights I laid in bed with my little radio listening to Reds games on the coast when I was a kid. Same thing then as now, its just always that way for east coast teams. The Giants, Padres, Dodgers, it was infuriating. You just hope to break even and then beat the snot out of THEM when they came east, and thats usually exactly what happened. We won 2/3 against LA and Oak already at Fenway, and get Sea at the end of the month.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Stabbed by Foulke

Where are you going with this?  Are you saying the season hinges on that loss Saturday night or on the two losses, including last night?  May 3-14, the Sox won 2 and lost 9 and went from 20-8 to 22-17, but they bounced back, which is what they have done all season long.   Why?  Because it is a rare season when any team, let alone the Sox, doesn't have ups and downs. 

The good news about last night is Lackey going 7 innings and giving up 2 runs against a good offense on their turf.  I watched just about every pitch and believe Weaver was pitching a great game, a very smart game in which he threw a lot of breaking balls and rarely threw that 87 mpg over the plate.  The umpire gave him the outside and then some, and he took advantage of it.    Plus I think the Sox might have been a little tired last night. 

The good news about Saturday night is the Sox ran out to that 7-3 lead even though they had to be tired playing back to back after going to the west coast without a travel day.  Plus they had won Friday night and weren't resting on their laurels. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke

Where are you going with this?  Are you saying the season hinges on that loss Saturday night or on the two losses, including last night?  May 3-14, the Sox won 2 and lost 9 and went from 20-8 to 22-17, but they bounced back, which is what they have done all season long.   Why?  Because it is a rare season when any team, let alone the Sox, doesn't have ups and downs. 

The good news about last night is Lackey going 7 innings and giving up 2 runs against a good offense on their turf.  I watched just about every pitch and believe Weaver was pitching a great game, a very smart game in which he threw a lot of breaking balls and rarely threw that 87 mpg over the plate.  The umpire gave him the outside and then some, and he took advantage of it.    Plus I think the Sox might have been a little tired last night. 

The good news about Saturday night is the Sox ran out to that 7-3 lead even though they had to be tired playing back to back after going to the west coast without a travel day.  Plus they had won Friday night and weren't resting on their laurels. 

[/QUOTE]

And dont forget that it took two noodle legged rookies making dumb mistakes to set up what turned into a disaster Saturday. We are unlikely to see that kind of combination again.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:

last night was an aberration, this offense will get up to beat down queen felix as we often do...

COMMY COMMY COMMY COMMY CONTRARIAN, HE COMES AND GOES, HE COMES AND GOES... @commyContrarian on Twitter!

Funny.  Did you notice I came back and said the OP wasn't such a bad call after all because Lackey actually pitched pretty well?  I don't agree about queen felix but like the sound of it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

C'mon gale...look, I respect your opinion, I think you're a smart fan.  And that second game was a brutal loss.  But you're leaving out the fact that Weaver is one of the best pitchers in the league.  He's been in the top 5 in the Cy Young 3 years in a row, with an ERA of 3.01, 2.41 and 2.81

And as Earl Weaver said 'momentum is the next day's starting pitcher'.

[/QUOTE]

Gale many of us have as much and probably more experience than you. To say you know better unequivocally like you have is egotisticalism at it's best

May I mention that in the first Ells hit a bullet as did Nava and Pedroia hit a bullet that if it were 1/16 of an inch higher on the bat was a 3 run homer. The rest of the night they got Weaver a top 10 pitcher in the AL up to 75 pitches by the 5th. They played hard worked hard Weaver just had it better last night.

That 3-0 loss was NOT because of the prior game. You can say it did but you can not disregard the work by Weaver. If you say last night was because of Sat then you are saying the effort from Weaver had little effect. Lastly look at the numbers from last night the basic difference was the 2 HRs

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Also, just let me add that if they lose 3/4 in Sea and get swept in Oak I'll be genuinely worried. But even if that happens, all it shows is that there is something inherently wrong with the team that was latent the entire time, not that they lost one tough game and just totally melted down for the next week. Thats absurd.

They will not get swept in Oakland. I will be at the game on Sunday, sitting in the third row right behind the A's dugout. If it start looking bad I will march down INTO the dugout and lecture the A's to know their place in the baseball hierarchy and-if necessary-pinch hit for Napoli in some key situation that demands contact with the baseball.

Sections
Shortcuts