Could the Sox be the team that claimed Cole Hamels?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Could the Sox be the team that claimed Cole Hamels?

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/442795/hamels-byrd-claimed-off-revocable-waivers

Philly probably isn't gonna just let him go for nothing, but i have a feeling BC could work some magic and swindle that Dope GM In philly for hamels.

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

He'd give anything for this to just go away

This grip is only so strong

I try to hold on tightly

But it's all slipping through my fingers

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

Eyes that once beamed with hope now only stare in remorse.

-Times of grace

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Could the Sox be the team that claimed Cole Hamels?

I have no faith in Amaro's ability to make a deal on anyone or with anyone.  From what MLBRumors posted, he was looking for a major prospect for Lee.  He'll be asking for 3 top-tier prospects for Hamels, and 29 other GMs will respond 'why would we pay $22M and top prospects when we can get two other similar pitchers for $24M and no prospects?'.

And Amaro won't understand.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The problem would be that it would have to be players to be named later like in the AGon, CC, Beckett, Pinto trade. The guy we really wanted, early, in return  was claimed---Ruby DLR. So if you wanted Hamels in exchange for Xander and Ranaudo, as an example, they would be claimed by an AL team and maybe a NL team. So the players going to Philly would have to sit out until after the season. 

That would be my understanding.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Actually if we could  get Hamels for one or two players then sign Shields in the off-season as a FA. We could then go after Stanton or another stud hitter using some more prospects.

I hope it was BenC that put in a claim for Hamels; my guess is it was Cash Man.

Gardner passed through waivers--he would be a good fit in CF and a good lead-off guy--the price is a lot better than $23 M for Ells.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I don't see what the Sox would have to lose in putting in a claim.  At the very least, it blocks the teams ahead of us, namely the Yankees, from having a shot at getting him this season.

Maybe Amaro would actually be willing to deal him for something reasonable.  That would be one less hole to fill in the offseason.

Either way, there's nothing to lose by trying.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

absolutely!!!! A trade won't happen but yeah it is them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Yanks and Sox are on the list of teams he WILL block a trade to.. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually the Sox are on the list of nine teams he WILL NOT block a trade to.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

He would have to pass through the NL first and I'm pretty sure the Dodgers would be willing to take on that contract as money is no object for them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

hammels is drama queen.  clay 2.0.  would we really rather have that at $22MM per than Lester??????????

please ben, do NOT do this.

other names i have posted under:  none

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He would have to pass through the NL first and I'm pretty sure the Dodgers would be willing to take on that contract as money is no object for them.

[/QUOTE]

true.  But the Dodgers could bypass him cuz they have the best record in the NL league.  In someway, they may not want to claim him or do not need to claim him so they can block a NL team above them to try to put a claim on him.

But I could strongly think that there may be a NL team claiming on him on purpose such as SF or SL or etc to prevent a team higher than that team who is rumor to claim him.  And of course, they could purposely drop the claim, and then Hammels will be pull back off of the market for 30 days.

I think it is a long shot for Boston.  All Phillies can tell these teams to make sure to include top prospects so they can scare most of them away and then Boston could claim him

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from therazcreation. Show therazcreation's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Actually if we could  get Hamels for one or two players then sign Shields in the off-season as a FA. We could then go after Stanton or another stud hitter using some more prospects.

I hope it was BenC that put in a claim for Hamels; my guess is it was Cash Man.

Gardner passed through waivers--he would be a good fit in CF and a good lead-off guy--the price is a lot better than $23 M for Ells.

[/QUOTE]

So trading guys like Xander, Betts and others for Stanton and Hameles makes the Sox better how? It actually now created other holes at SS, CF and #3-5 SP's.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

hammels is drama queen.  clay 2.0.  would we really rather have that at $22MM per than Lester??????????

[/QUOTE]

Trading for Hamels in lieu of signing Lester never made any sense to me before Lester was traded.  Given the choice between Hamels, which would cost money and prospects, or Lester for a little more money and an extra year or two, Lester was a no brainer. 

Now, the Sox need two top starters.   Trading for one and signing another in FA is a very real possibility.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from therazcreation. Show therazcreation's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Trading for Hamels in lieu of signing Lester never made any sense to me before Lester was traded.  Given the choice between Hamels, which would cost money and prospects, or Lester for a little more money and an extra year or two, Lester was a no brainer. 

Now, the Sox need two top starters.   Trading for one and signing another in FA is a very real possibility.

[/QUOTE]

I am not trading Xander and/or Betts. As Rick Sutcliff said last night on ESPN, both kids are going to be ALL Stars. You can see the talent is there. If you trade these kids for 2 good players who create hole others on the roster and now you back to being inconsistent- one year a playoff team, following year last place.

I think these are the players you need to keep and build around: Pedroia, Ortiz, Cespedes, Xander, Betts, Joe Kelly, De La Rosa and Anthony Ranaudo.

Everyone else from Owens to Barnes to Bradley Jr I would trade for young proven talent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It could be the Sox, but how many teams would claim a guy like Cole Hamels???

Virtually every player is put on waivers, never means there is any real intention to trade them and most of the time it's never reported when a guy is put on and pulled back from waivers.

Also, Hamels would have to clear waivers through every N.L. team before A.L. teams would have a chance.  Could be the Sox.....but I think it might be the dodgers.  The never really got the starter they wanted at the deadline, which again...doesn't mean they will make a deal now. 

Can't say it's the Sox, chances are probably low.  If someone told me it was an A.L. team I think it could be us, as we would be one of the first teams to get a shot at him.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to sign Lester.  You could have Lester for the same money but would probably have to pay him for another 2 years.

So you are basically trading away 2-3 top prospects to not spend 40 million on Lester for 2 years 4 years from now.

If one of those guys pan out, or two of them become average players it would be more than enough to justify resigning Lester, plus Lester is a known commodity who you know can cut it in Boston in the ALE. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to therazcreation's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am not trading Xander and/or Betts. As Rick Sutcliff said last night on ESPN, both kids are going to be ALL Stars. You can see the talent is there. If you trade these kids for 2 good players who create hole others on the roster and now you back to being inconsistent- one year a playoff team, following year last place.

I think these are the players you need to keep and build around: Pedroia, Ortiz, Cespedes, Xander, Betts, Joe Kelly, De La Rosa and Anthony Ranaudo.

Everyone else from Owens to Barnes to Bradley Jr I would trade for young proven talent.

[/QUOTE]

I would not trade Xander or Betts either, and of course, any trade depends on what the other team is asking for.  Apparently, Amaro tends to be unreasonable in his demands.

Given the choice, I always prefer paying for a player with "just money" rather than prospects plus money.  That said, the Sox are going to be facing a roster crunch, and some of the players are going to have to go, one way or another.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'd rather up the prospect package and go after someone like Chris Sale...AND THEN resign Lester anyways. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from therazcreation. Show therazcreation's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd rather up the prospect package and go after someone like Chris Sale...AND THEN resign Lester anyways. 

[/QUOTE]

If I am giving up Betts and others in a deal, I would want Chris Sale  and  AVISAIL GARCIA from the White Sox. Period!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually the Sox are on the list of nine teams he WILL NOT block a trade to.

[/QUOTE] jam, you are correct, i got it backwards..thanks..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I'm saying Cubs, Theo is going to start making his moves. I expect the Cubs to be one of the busiest teams this Off-Season. They have money to spend, and Prospects to move. They are finally getting out of that Soriano's contract.
    He's a NL Pitcher, I bet he might want to stay there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm saying Cubs, Theo is going to start making his moves. I expect the Cubs to be one of the busiest teams this Off-Season. They have money to spend, and Prospects to move. They are finally getting out of that Soriano's contract.
    He's a NL Pitcher, I bet he might want to stay there.

[/QUOTE]

Good call.  I've read a report that said that the Cubs were the only team to put in a claim for Hamels.

Theo is still the man, BTW.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Geez, Cubs could move Castro for Hamels, one for one and it would be a good deal for both teams. If Theo wants to hold onto Prospects.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

absolutely!!!! A trade won't happen but yeah it is them.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely..not!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Cubs and Sox both have the prospects the Phillies expect. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I'd be surprised if Hamels cleared the NL...

Sections
Shortcuts