Could the Sox Sign Prince Fielder to become the DH of the future?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Could the Sox Sign Prince Fielder to become the DH of the future?

Pirnce Fielder will be a free agent at the end of the year. It is unlikely the brewers will trade him at the deadline and there is no doubt that he will hit the market. Now here is where things get interesting. The red sox have a number of contracts coming off the books at seasons end. David ortiz(12.5 mill), JD Drew(14 mill), Jonathan Papelbon (12 mill), mike cameron (9 mill), tim wakefield(2 mill), marco scutaro(6 mill), Jason Varitek (3 mill) are all coming off the books at the end of the year. When you ad that up it totals about 57 million in salary. David ortiz is likely the only one of the group that could be coming back but with his recent comments that he wants a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd year from the sox, his chances of sticking around became a lot less likely. The sox could go with josh reddick or ryan kalish in right field next year to replace drew which would save them a ton of money that could be used elsewhere. Jose iglesias and jed lowrie can cover the ss position once scutaro leaves or comes back as a cheap back up middle infielder. Again saving the sox money. Tek could be brought back for cheap given his age and limited abilities with salty or maybe even larvarnway starting at catcher.(salty is more likely to start). So that leaves us with the closer and DH. Papelbon may or may not be back. Heath bell is a free agent option and the sox have in house options in bobby jenks and daniel bard. Any of the 3 would cost less than paps. So that leaves us with DH. Yes ortiz is having a good year but it is unlikely that he will sustain the production level he has produced thus far for the remainder of the season. And with his recent contract demands which I doubt the sox will give him given his age( he is 36) and struggles the past few years, the prince fielder era could be upon us. Fielder would be a perfect fit for the sox as the DH of the future and is a perfect replacement for ortiz. He is young, has probably the most power of any hitter in the mlb, and puts up great numbers. Its not very often you get the chance to acquire a hitter of prince fielders caliber in the prime of his career. The Sox need a number 4 hitter, a guy who will drive in the runs. Youk is a good hitter, but is not suited for the number 4 spot and I am sure many people will agree he would be much better suited for the number 5 spot. Having a 3/4 of agonz and prince would be the most feared in the league. Something we have been missing since manny left. And above all else, the sox can afford to sign fielder for say 20-25 mill per year no problem. Witht he majority of the team already signed for next year and beyond, the sox could no doubt add a player like fielder. This is what the line up for next year would look like:

ellsbury
    pedroia
    gonzalez
    fielder
    youk
    crawford
    reddick/kalish
    salty
    iglesias/lowrie

Pitching would be:

lester
    beckett
    buchholz
    lackey
    miller/doubront/weiland/ trade(could be someone like matt garza at the deadline this year)

jenks
    morales
    bard
    wheeler(could bring him back cheap)
    papelbon(likely coming back, but you never know)
    doubront (if he doesnt make the rotation, which he will probably not)
    albers 

bench

tek,mcdonald, sutton/lowrie, sign a right handed outfielder or call up someone. 

I really think the sox should sign prince fielder. He is perfectly suited for the DH spot and the sox could easily afford him. Even after signing him they would still have plenty of money to fill all the other holes (add a reliever, bench guy). What do you guys think? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Re: Could the Sox Sign Prince Fielder to become the DH of the future?

Not gonna happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The Sox have already spent abut 15 million of the money coming off the books for Adrian Gonzalez and if they resign Papelbon and with some payers coming up for Arbitration,if the resigned Papi their payroll would be about the same as this year....so to sign fielder would probably be a payroll increase of 10 million or so....so I dont see it happening for a Fulltime DH whose production would be how much different than what Ortiz would give you at half the price?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BKtzmn. Show BKtzmn's posts

Big Papi is the face of of the Boston Red Sox. I don't agree with that his numbers will slide off the second half of this season. Gonzo has been a great influence on him. I believe Big Papi will stay the course the rest of this year and keep producing. With that being said...I believe Theo will work out either a 1 year deal with an option on a 2nd year, or a 2 year deal with him with incentives built in. I don't think Prince wants to DH at this point in his career. Prince is 29 and still believes he is a good hitting first basemen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Could the Sox Sign Prince Fielder to become the DH of the future?:
    [QUOTE]Pirnce Fielder will be a free agent at the end of the year. It is unlikely the brewers will trade him at the deadline and there is no doubt that he will hit the market. Now here is where things get interesting. The red sox have a number of contracts coming off the books at seasons end. David ortiz(12.5 mill), JD Drew(14 mill), Jonathan Papelbon (12 mill), mike cameron (9 mill), tim wakefield(2 mill), marco scutaro(6 mill), Jason Varitek (3 mill) are all coming off the books at the end of the year. When you ad that up it totals about 57 million in salary. David ortiz is likely the only one of the group that could be coming back but with his recent comments that he wants a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd year from the sox, his chances of sticking around became a lot less likely. The sox could go with josh reddick or ryan kalish in right field next year to replace drew which would save them a ton of money that could be used elsewhere. Jose iglesias and jed lowrie can cover the ss position once scutaro leaves or comes back as a cheap back up middle infielder. Again saving the sox money. Tek could be brought back for cheap given his age and limited abilities with salty or maybe even larvarnway starting at catcher.(salty is more likely to start). So that leaves us with the closer and DH. Papelbon may or may not be back. Heath bell is a free agent option and the sox have in house options in bobby jenks and daniel bard. Any of the 3 would cost less than paps. So that leaves us with DH. Yes ortiz is having a good year but it is unlikely that he will sustain the production level he has produced thus far for the remainder of the season. And with his recent contract demands which I doubt the sox will give him given his age( he is 36) and struggles the past few years, the prince fielder era could be upon us. Fielder would be a perfect fit for the sox as the DH of the future and is a perfect replacement for ortiz. He is young, has probably the most power of any hitter in the mlb, and puts up great numbers. Its not very often you get the chance to acquire a hitter of prince fielders caliber in the prime of his career. The Sox need a number 4 hitter, a guy who will drive in the runs. Youk is a good hitter, but is not suited for the number 4 spot and I am sure many people will agree he would be much better suited for the number 5 spot. Having a 3/4 of agonz and prince would be the most feared in the league. Something we have been missing since manny left. And above all else, the sox can afford to sign fielder for say 20-25 mill per year no problem. Witht he majority of the team already signed for next year and beyond, the sox could no doubt add a player like fielder. This is what the line up for next year would look like: ellsbury pedroia gonzalez fielder youk crawford reddick/kalish salty iglesias/lowrie Pitching would be: lester beckett buchholz lackey miller/doubront/weiland/ trade(could be someone like matt garza at the deadline this year) jenks morales bard wheeler(could bring him back cheap) papelbon(likely coming back, but you never know) doubront (if he doesnt make the rotation, which he will probably not) albers  bench tek,mcdonald, sutton/lowrie, sign a right handed outfielder or call up someone.  I really think the sox should sign prince fielder. He is perfectly suited for the DH spot and the sox could easily afford him. Even after signing him they would still have plenty of money to fill all the other holes (add a reliever, bench guy). What do you guys think? 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

Not in Boston, Prince mentioned he may be willing to be a DH but how many teams will pay him the bucks as a DH?  The Yankees or Angels maybe?  Prince will get some nice offers to play 1B, as will Albert from a lot of teams.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Another left handed hitter. Will this ever end?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ok guys enough with the left handed hitter hate. There are what like 10 left handed starters in the AL? Romero and Price are the only good ones I can think of in the AL, yet people are worried about having too many lefties? Yes ortiz is the face of the franchise (though agonz is one as well) but that has not stopped the sox before when they felt a player was heading into a decline in production.(see garciaparra, nomar and martinez, pedro both let go around the same age as ortiz.) Yes agonz salary goes up next year, so that 14 or 15 mill wipes out drews salary. There would still be ortiz (12.5 mill), cameron (9 mill), scutaro (6 mill), wakefield( 2 mill) which adds up to about 30 mill. Give 20 of that to fielder, and spend the rest on bench and pen guys. The sox can afford it no doubt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I'm a huge Sox fan but also a fan of baseball in general.  Why do some of you guys think every good player should end up on the Sox or Yankees.  Does that really make watching baseball fun for you guys??  The Sox are set with one of the best 1B's in baseball.  Can't we just let Pujols and Fielder play 1B somewhere else rather than try to figure out how we can get them to DH??  Spreading around talent to more than the top 3 or 4 franchises is much better for the longterm well-being of the sport, but many Sox fans obviously don't care anything about that as long as the Sox win.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In Response to Re: Could the Sox Sign Prince Fielder to become the DH of the future?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could the Sox Sign Prince Fielder to become the DH of the future? :  Fielder is 27, not 29. Either way, why not actually lower payroll a bit by not making an unnecessary splash in FA once big contracts expire? We can just get 2 relievers to replace Pap and Jenks (Jenks has a team option, but he has done horrible, so I don't think they'll pick it up), make Bard the closer, resign Papi, somehow convince Boras to let us get Ellsbury a long-term contract (that will be hard), and save the rest in case we need to make a deadline deal next year.
    Posted by WE5NUTS[/QUOTE]

why would the sox need to lower payroll? they are one of the highest revenue teams in the league and should have a high payroll. not to mention they need to in order to compete with the yankees and other good teams in the AL. also how do you figure the sox can afford to cut payroll? there is no guarantee that they even make the playoffs this year. The rotation is a mess with lester and buchholz on the DL, beckett injured but will be back soon, lackey doing terrible and andrew miller is unproven and has look pretty average so far. This team has too many holes to cut payroll. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

How many huge contracts can this team afford?  Fielder won't come cheap.  If they don't get Papi on their terms and move on, I'd rather make a run at a guy like Beltran in the offseason. At least he can play the field some, he's a switch hitter and he's younger (albeit with a significant injury history). 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Guess Soxpride34 never heard of CC Sabathia or Jon Lester.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

and ya fielder is 27 not 29. how often do you get a chance to get one of the best sluggers in the mlb who is in the prime of his career, for money and draft picks? The only reason the sox have been able to compete with the yankees this year is because of how bad their rotation has been. If they improved their rotation either at the deadline or in the offseason the sox will have a tough time competing with them. Just think about what adrian gonzalez has done since he joined the sox, imagine what kind of numbers fielder would produce. he has little protection in the brewers line up and is still putting up huge numbers, he is on pace pace for 45 homers and 135-140 rbi this year. If he were on the sox, he could put up those numbers year in year out, and hit even more homers.But according to some of you we should pass on him so we can keep our 36 year old DH who wants essentially a 3 year contract? Dont get me wrong, papi is a sox legend and has been my favorite sox player since they picked him up from minnesota, but when it comes down to it baseball is a business. The goal is to put the best team on the field each and every year  in order to win as many games as possible and ultimately win the world series. Do you think if you asked any sox fan if they would rather have ortiz or fielder they would even have to think about it for more than a second? Not a chance. Do you think if the sox got fielder any sox fans would say "man i wish we still had ortiz instead"? Not in a million years. The sox need fielder more than people think. Youk is not a number 4 hitter, he has never been one and never will be. Fielder is a perfect number 4 hitter and youk is much more suited for the 5 spot.Also, having a guy like fielder hitting in the middle of the order and having his increase is power and overall hitting would take pressure off the guys at the bottom of the order. If we have fielder we would not need to go out and trade for a right fielder. We could afford to start ethier kalish or reddick(who has looked pretty good so far), we can afford to have salty hit .250, and have iglesias hit around the same. Fielder is the guy that puts us ahead of the yankees. Our offense would be able to go toe to toe with thiers any day of the week. And one last thing to keep in mind, for those of you who think we should resign ortiz, what happens if he flops next year? what happens in 2 years when we need a dh and there is nobody even close to prince fielders caliber available? Not a chance.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In Response to Re: Could the Sox Sign Prince Fielder to become the DH of the future?:
    [QUOTE]Guess Soxpride34 never heard of CC Sabathia.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

my bad i forgot about cc sabathia and i didnt mention lester because he is on the sox so we would not have to face him. but my point is that there are very few good left handed starters in the AL. having 1 more lefty than righty is not a big deal. some sox fans are making it sound like the end of the world if we have more lefties than righties. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Personally I would rather bring up some young talent from the farm or resign Papi for 2 more than get yet another FA..a 20mil DH? no way in this lifetime..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

so what if a DH makes 20 mill? The dh plays just as many games as everyone else, they just dont play the field which in fielders case would be to the sox advantage. they would not be getting fielder for his defence, its the hitting that matters. Also for a guy who is of a bigger build like fielder, being a dh would prolong his career and limit the wear on his body. And so people cant justify spending 20 mill on dh who is one of the best hitters in baseball but yet we have a 4/5 starter making 18.5 mill? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

[QUOTE]Personally I would rather bring up some young talent from the farm or resign Papi for 2 more than get yet another FA..a 20mil DH? no way in this lifetime..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

and who exactly are we going to bring up? we have no big time power hitters on the farm, the only guy who has plus power potential is lavarnway and he is a catcher which makes him much more valuable than if he was a DH. Will middlebrooks hase good power as well but he is not ready yet and he is likely our future 3B as he is very good at fielding. Maybe if lars anderson was a huge bust we could have brought him up but he has what 4 homers in the minors? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could the Sox Sign Prince Fielder to become the DH of the future? : why would the sox need to lower payroll? they are one of the highest revenue teams in the league and should have a high payroll. not to mention they need to in order to compete with the yankees and other good teams in the AL. also how do you figure the sox can afford to cut payroll? there is no guarantee that they even make the playoffs this year. The rotation is a mess with lester and buchholz on the DL, beckett injured but will be back soon, lackey doing terrible and andrew miller is unproven and has look pretty average so far. This team has too many holes to cut payroll. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean they need to lower payroll, of course not. But it would be nice if we didn't have to deal with the excuse "We don't have room to add payroll" when they don't trade for say, Carlos Beltran. Again, though, there comes a point where enough is enough and we just keep Papi instead of signing Fielder. If anything, I would rather sign Reyes than Fielder, as SS is 10x a bigger need than 1b. Actually, it's looking like lowering payroll would be impossible. My mistake.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

forget beltran. we dont need another old player with an expensive contract. reyes is really good player no doubt and is one of the best ss in the league, but the problem with him is that he is another crawford/ellsbury type player. little power, lots of speed. we have no spot for him in the order unless we deal ellsbury which i would be surprised if we did. Fielder on the other hand will probably cost pretty close to reyes and would fit perfectly into our line up. Also, dont forget about jose iglesias and jed lowrie. we will be fine at short. iglesias will probably start next year and hit in the 9 spot. we need a good defensive short stop much more than a good offensive one. so what if iglesias hits say .250, if he plays gold glove caliber defense then we will be fine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Fielder isn't coming here, Ortiz may leave and Beltran is versatile and may be a good fit for the Sox as Plan B.  Are they gonna pay Fielder what it will take to get him here?  Just can't see it after the Gonzalez and Crawford signings.  I'd do a two year deal for Papi if I were the Sox, but knowing the Sox m.o. and the potential for a team to overpay for Papi, I really wonder if he'll be back.    

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Not going to happen.  Lets end all this crazy talk about Prince or Albert coming to Boston or NY.  Both teams have 1B and will not spend $25 million or more per year for a DH.  Boston will resign Papi and Papelbon for what it would cost them for either of the 1B's mentioned.

Boston would not have spent big on Craw and Gonzo if they really thought they had a chance with either player.

I like this team for this year and the next three years if Papi and Papelbon are resigned.  After that let Kalish or Reddick take over for Drew and see if Lowrie and Iglesias can battle for SS.  Starting Pitching is set  if Ranaudo or Dubront can fill in for Dice K, and the Bullpen will get arms this offseason adding to an already stout pen with Alber, Jenks, Bard and Papelbon

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

the sox have 2 players with big contracts, they can afford to have one more. they have been paying ortiz 12.5 mill the last couple years, you dont think they can afford another 8-9 mill per for fielder? Especially if we have 3 cheap guys in reddick/kalish, salty, and iglesias in 7-9 spots. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Im for building from within, Lavarnway, Middlebrooks? Or we could just do away with the farm system and buy players every year? But personally I think its more fun to see guys like Pedie, Youk, Ells, Lester, Buch, Bard, Paps, grow up in the system. Do i need to go on? Im guessing if you had to go out and buy all those guys the payroll would be over 250 Mil and tickets would be $2500 for a bleacher seat! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

We need a slugging RH bat for RF ... that makes us a ton better.  Fielder hits great, but I think the Sox keep Ortiz as the face of the franchise, just like the Yanks kept Jeter.  They will bargain for a year with an option, and may give him more money for that than a guaranteed 2 year deal.  But there is a lot of season left, anything can happen.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

keep in mind, the sox got rid of nomar, pedro, and manny when they were all around the same age as ortiz. those guys wanted contracts that were too long in length and too high in money and the sox decided they were not worth it. Jeter is different than ortiz. He is a yankees icon, he has been with the yanks his whole career. Ortiz has been with the sox for what 8 years? and jeter has been with the yanks for what 17 years? And ya i agree we need an upgrade in right field but there is not a lot of options for us. Pence would be awesome, ethier would be good, upton aint happening, cuddyer no thanks, beltran no thanks. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

ok this is just getting rediculous....They have the means to buy him but will not. And I and many other resonable sox fans dont want them to