could we accept a Jason Collins walking thru those Fenway doors today with RED SOX on his jersey?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: could we accept a Jason Collins walking thru those Fenway doors today with RED SOX on his jersey?

I'm concerned about what they do on the field and winning baseball games.  What they do off the field never even comes to mind.  But apparently you are the type of person to read the National Enquirer and likes all of the latest gossip.....to each their own.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: could we accept a Jason Collins walking thru those Fenway doors today with RED SOX on his jersey?

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

what if a papi came out and admitted he was living a lie and thats y he's getting divorced as he introduced us to his longtime male closet guy? what if it's pedy? do we change our tude to his dirt dawg grind it out style? its coming, only a matter of time before its a well-known ACTIVE guy.. yes, even in sacred Fenway! do we throw our narrow bibles at them or figure out how to adjust the bible to the situation as many have with race-mixing, interracial marriage, slavery, owning one's wife, on and on...?

I see your subscription to National Inquirer hasn't run out...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Libertarian/conservative.....who cares has no affect on my life...should not bother anyone...

i just hope more take the initiative and get it all out in the open.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I don't think the question is whether we as fans could accept a gay player.  My concern is that the player can pull his own weight and contribute to the team, regardless of sexual persuasion. I think the question is what it would do to the clubhouse chemistry.

Let's face it, heteroexual guys.  We're pigs.  When we see someone we're physically attracted to our eyes don't always go to her eyes.  Wink   Smile   Are gay guys any different?

The clubhouse is a very tight knit community with an assumption (whether correct or not) of complete heterosexuality.  Having an integrated locker room with players running around with only a towel (or less) on could prove to be very distracting for both the gay and straight players. 

With opinions of homosexuality vs heterosexuality running as strong as they do I can see having a gay player being something that could polarize a locker room and therefore a team.

So my question, and it is a serious question, is this:  Where do the rights of a gay player to "pursue his trade" fall within the realm of an owner who wants to maintain a harmonious clubhouse?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I don't think the question is whether we as fans could accept a gay player.  My concern is that the player can pull his own weight and contribute to the team, regardless of sexual persuasion. I think the question is what it would do to the clubhouse chemistry.

Let's face it, heteroexual guys.  We're pigs.  When we see someone we're physically attracted to our eyes don't always go to her eyes.  Wink   Smile   Are gay guys any different?

The clubhouse is a very tight knit community with an assumption (whether correct or not) of complete heterosexuality.  Having an integrated locker room with players running around with only a towel (or less) on could prove to be very distracting for both the gay and straight players. 

With opinions of homosexuality vs heterosexuality running as strong as they do I can see having a gay player being something that could polarize a locker room and therefore a team.

So my question, and it is a serious question, is this:  Where do the rights of a gay player to "pursue his trade" fall within the realm of an owner who wants to maintain a harmonious clubhouse?

Wasn't that an issue when Jackie Robinson integrated Major League Baseball?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Wasn't that an issue when Jackie Robinson integrated Major League Baseball?

+1.

I think they even  made a movie about it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

what if a papi came out and admitted he was living a lie and thats y he's getting divorced as he introduced us to his longtime male closet guy? what if it's pedy? do we change our tude to his dirt dawg grind it out style? its coming, only a matter of time before its a well-known ACTIVE guy.. yes, even in sacred Fenway! do we throw our narrow bibles at them or figure out how to adjust the bible to the situation as many have with race-mixing, interracial marriage, slavery, owning one's wife, on and on...?

You are so right ! why do they make such a fuss about it ? The guys been in the league for 12 yrs and we are to believe that this was a something that his team or friends knew nothing about ? Here we go with the media hounds again. Nothing more then a average at best player coming out  and now he gets more page time then LaBron. If we could solve our world problems as fast as a ( coming out ) party, We would be a lot better off. Dam !! Let this gay stuff go !! Not a fuss just a fact.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I could not accept Jason Collins walking through Fenway doors.  No way he could get around on a fastball.  Too tall and clumsy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

This is my liberal side coming out.... I don't care.  I don't get why this has to be a breaking story on all the news stations. 

Maybe one day when equality for everyone has been reached things like this will not be an issue. That day has not yet arrived, so, unfortunately, it IS still an issue. Because of Collins there will be kids looking up thinking that the way they are is not so bad after all-if a professional basketball player can come out then that kid might think the door is open to him or her too.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

This is my liberal side coming out.... I don't care.  I don't get why this has to be a breaking story on all the news stations. 

Maybe one day when equality for everyone has been reached things like this will not be an issue. That day has not yet arrived, so, unfortunately, it IS still an issue. Because of Collins there will be kids looking up thinking that the way they are is not so bad after all-if a professional basketball player can come out then that kid might think the door is open to him or her too.

I get that it is an important story,  but breaking news?  It is a good sign that more and more people are seeing it as a non-issue.

I agree to some extent.  I think it is a great sign that more and more people are seeing it as a non-issue.  And, perhaps ironically, Jason Collins being such a big issue will help make it more of a non-issue.  

However, we have a long way to go before it is really a non-issue.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I get that it is an important story,  but breaking news?  It is a good sign that more and more people are seeing it as a non-issue.

I agree to some extent.  I think it is a great sign that more and more people are seeing it as a non-issue.  And, perhaps ironically, Jason Collins being such a big issue will help make it more of a non-issue.  

It will take as long as it took for players of color to become a nonissue. A very long time. Some folks here say its not an issue for them; for gay people now as it was for people of color decades ago, its a BIG issue. Its so easy for white heterosexual males to dismiss this as a nonissue when it only tangentially affects them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

While in the Military 50+ years ago, I was not aware of anyone with whom I came in contact who was gay.  Then I heard one approached a straight soldier & he was made to wear a pink uniform for a week. Of course, there were gays then but they did not dare come out of the closet. I don't care if someone is gay only that in combat, we are all in close contact, foxholes etc., but, and it has been mentioned, in the showers I believe I would be uncomfortable with someone who might be aroused being around heterosexual men. I suggest, and why not until we let men & women shower together, let the gays have their showers enclosed like a bathroom toilet stall.  The moral of troops and athletes is  most important and not being comfortable with someone sexually aroused by seeing other men can cause disharmony !

I play tennis and one might say that there is mixed doubles but it is for 1 and 1 1/2 hours, we are clothed and go to our separate locker rooms.

And, yup, I've found my female partner & opponent very appealing at times and as I used to say when I went to confession, forgive me Father for I have had impure thoughts !!!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

It will take as long as it took for players of color to become a nonissue. A very long time. Some folks here say its not an issue for them; for gay people now as it was for people of color decades ago, its a BIG issue. Its so easy for white heterosexual males to dismiss this as a nonissue when it only tangentially affects them.

I'm not a white male....  true that it doesn't tangentially affect me, I do look forward to the day when it will be a non-issue. I think it will come a lot sooner than we think. I'll bet in the next month or two we'll see more athletes coming out.

I did not mean to offend people other than white males with my comments. I used that as an example. The issue only tangentially affects most heterosexuals. You will see more gay athletes coming out over the next few months, probably, but this is not likely to become a "so what" kind of thing for many many years. How long did it take players of color entering MLB to become a nonissue?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

let's be honest. it's only a big ISSUE for those of the christian right persuasion. but than again, so is EVOLUTION.

Its a big issue if you were gay too.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts