Crawford can't handle the pressure????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Crawford can't handle the pressure????

I think Crawford tried too much. Especially when he started hit he started to think how do I keep this up? I think if has takes it easy and hits in April you will have se him do it all year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Crawford will have a 2012 season somewhere between his career best year (2010?) and his overall career numbers. Something like this:

.300/.345/.455/.800  40 SBs

I'll still think he's grossly overpaid, but he will help us win more than he did this season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

"Has it occurred to any of you guys that CC just can't handle the pressure of playing on a BIG STAGE in Boston. He had very little pressure in TB. In Boston the expectations are 10 fold. The media, the press and the fans are all relatively new to CC. I don't believe this was factored in when they were scouting him. Simple put, he can't handle the pressure and it is affecting all aspects of his game. "

Given the fact this observation /question was made a hundred million times during the season and three billion times since the season ended, you mean to tell me you just thought of this all by yourself?

Here's another new one, Captain Obvious: has it occurred to anyone that if the Sox had scored more runs than the Orioles that last game they might have... uh... won, and they possibly might have made the playoffs... maybe?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford can't handle the pressure????:
    [QUOTE]I think Crawford will have a 2012 season somewhere between his career best year (2010?) and his overall career numbers. Something like this: .300/.345/.455/.800  40 SBs I'll still think he's grossly overpaid, but he will help us win more than he did this season.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
         I agree with moon....I would give you guys A-Rod for Crawford in a heart beat, except for the fact that I have a weak spot for unrepentant narcissists who get lambasted by the tabloids...
         While Crawford might not begin to hit lefties with any consistency, he is likely to have a better year...Now watch A-Rod return with a decent year in 2012 as well.  Then again the two of them have both set the bar so low that they have nowhere to go but up....

Warning: This post was created by a Yankee fan, and may be intended to cause irreparable emotional and psychological harm to any Red Sox fan who might read it.

"Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living."

Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) - 1930 (U.S.) )

when the boss comes callin' his take his toll 
    when the boss comes callin' don't you sell your soul 
    when the boss comes callin' we gotta organize 

- Dropkick Murphys (for the workers of Wisconsin)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I think he put too much pressure on himself to justify the big contract and that "Boston" pressure had much less to do with his horrible season. More importantly, given the current roster he really is a poor fit. He is a two hole hitter IMO and we should put him there to start next season for at least 40 games and see what happens. Right now we are a third place team and have nothing to lose. With Lackey still on the staff and most likely very few significant changes coming, with the exception of whether or not Paps and Papi stay.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Crawford can't handle the pressure

In Response to Re: Crawford can't handle the pressure:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford can't handle the pressure : Best theory of the day. I could easily understand if Crawford is struggling to justify himself as the highest paid OF in baseball history.  Players absolutely do feel pressure when they sign these big deals,; A-Rod justified the pressure as a reason to turn to steroids after signing his mega-deal with Texas. This, of course, means the pressure is independant of Boston and Crawford would struggle to justify his play in Detroit or Oakland or Cleveland or anywhere where he got this mega-deal.  Trying to live up to such a contract becomes a vicious circle...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Could be right on the money....Agree with you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Captain313. Show Captain313's posts

A look at Crawford's stolen bases show that he is no longer the player he once was. The turf at the Trop took a toll on his legs. His signing was an overreaction by Epstein who once again let the player they were going after (Werth) get away, just as signing Lackey and Cameron was an overreaction to letting Matt Hooliday get away. He never hit for a high average and he never hit for power at Fenway; he walked more with Tampa because he was their best hitter, while he drew few walks last year because there was no reason to pitch around him with much better hitters in the lineup. His attitude wasn't great either as he complained about batting leadoff and batting down in the order; since he didn't play one inning in right, he probably didn't want to try that either although doing so would have increased the chances of the Sox finding a righthanded outfield bat to play left at the trade deadline and thus improve the team. Francona let him bat second late in the season and he was supposed to "create havoc" on the bases, but he continued to not get on base on come up short time and again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Ellsbury playing like a MVP got in the way of Crawford finding a place in the batting order.  He never could establish his game and still looks to have trouble next year.  I think those that think he will play like in TB are dreaming.  We had a 162 games to get a sample on this guy and the problem is it was not any injury but in his head.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

When Crawford rebounds next season and proves you wrong, you wil be eating crow. How do you like it served? It tastes great with gravy and a side of fried rice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

It was Ortiz that commented on how difficult it was to play in Boston for some players.  He said something about good players come to the team and wet themselves when they see what it's like.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford can't handle the pressure????:
    [QUOTE]I think Crawford will have a 2012 season somewhere between his career best year (2010?) and his overall career numbers. Something like this: .300/.345/.455/.800  40 SBs I'll still think he's grossly overpaid, but he will help us win more than he did this season.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I'd be happy if he could help us LOSE LESS than he did this season

The issue isn't so much Boston as he isn't as good as we thought he was

Then the huge contract

Getting off to a terrible start

His skills declining

and now in Boston

is in his head and kept spiriling down

But even if he gets his OPB up, is 310 really going to cut it plus his defense is the scariest thing and that isn't something can or will be fixed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I see this as three seperate issues.

The first is I see the organization just saying play your game it is what we got and pay you for you for.

The second is the media who are always around pounding players for comments and either making them bigger than they are or throwing them under the bus.

The third are the fans who expect every RS player to be the AS they may or not be. They also put way too much emphasis on every game/inning/AB/pitch etc... RS fans expect a W for every game.

So it comes down to how a player reacts to all three.

Look at Jacoby who for two to three years was questioned constantly about his work effort, his ability and how he could niot handle the pressure.
    This year he was absolutely NEVER questioned about anything.

Pedroia was questioned his first 6 to 8 weeks in MLB and thrown under the bus by most. Now he is the greatest thing in RS fans minds and again NEVER questioned.

Ortiz was questioned (me included) the first 2/3 months in 2010 and Youk is now being questioned due to injuries.

It is all how the player handles the media and the fans. Don't worry about the pin heads and you will be fine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Ortiz was questioned in April and May of 2003.........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Maybe it's the pressure in real life to spend all the money that is really the problem. it has to be pretty difficult to spend that kind of money, Knowing who to trust with it and all !! 

That aside, while his hitting was not great his defense was 10 times worse. The guy never looked comfortable all year fielding a ball, ever. To think he had won a gold glove award in the past is amazing. There were very few balls put into play to left field that my heart wasn't in my throat. The worse part was his lack of hustle down the line on those two hoppers to second all year. I don't expect guys like Ortiz and Gonzalez to bust azz out of the box and run through the base but, If your name is Carl Crawford and speed is your forte then jogging down the line is a benchable crime in my opinion. If he ran have as hard as Posada did, in his final at bat as a yankee, it may have picked up his whole game! The guy simply showed as much energy as a guy walking to the Gallows !! Could there really be that much pressure on you that you can't hustle? I would not be totally honest if I said he never hustled down the line, He did pull a hammy the one time he did !! Like others on here I'm willing to let last season go as a adjustment period, all be it a whole season, but he needs to be busting it right out of the gate next season so the only question could be is how could they possibly not bat him higher in the order? I can see Pedroia batting third next season with Els and CC batting 1-2 but CC has to make that happen !!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...But even if he gets his OPB up, is 310 really going to cut it plus his defense is the scariest thing and that isn't something can or will be fixed. (andrewmitch)

I have thought the signing was a big waste from day one, but CC's career OBP is not .310. It is .333. It was over .350 for the 2 years before coming here. I do not think it is impossible for him to get over .340-.345 next year.
     He better get there!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

CC should have been benched many times last year

Not hustling down the line I don't know how many times and not hitting the cut off man or throwing to the wrong base just about every time the ball was hit to him. 

If you thought I believe one David Jonathan Drew was a disgrace to the game, wait until you hear my tirades for the next 6 years; or about 20,000 posts in total dedictated strictly to the shame that is Carl Crawford.  (Note to self:  Any Sox GM who acquires a player with a neck tatoo should be immediately canned)

Sections
Shortcuts