Crawford can't handle the pressure????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lifelongsoxdawg. Show lifelongsoxdawg's posts

Crawford can't handle the pressure????

Has it occurred to any of you guys that CC just can't handle the pressure of playing on a BIG STAGE in Boston. He had very little pressure in TB. In Boston the expectations are 10 fold. The media, the press and the fans are all relatively new to CC. I don't believe this was factored in when they were scouting him. Simple put, he can't handle the pressure and it is affecting all aspects of his game. So, I think that the real challenge for the new manager is to find a way to take the pressure off from CC and help him focus and concentrate on his playing and forget about all of the other distractions. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Crawford can't handle the pressure

I thought this was another post slamming him, but this is written fairly. I think it was more than he thought it would be, but I also think he will adjust and raise his game to match it. The manager would be a help. I don't know that I'd say he had very little pressure in TB when you look at how they were in the hunt. I think it's more that the pressure here was different in that it became inward, meaning he created most of it himself by trying to live up to his contract and prove to the world that he could handle Boston. "Will you be able to handle Boston?" was what everyone was asking him in ST. Its less that he can't handle Boston, and more like he can't handle himself trying to handle Boston, if that makes sense. Also, let me add here that the idea that Boston is the "BIG STAGE" is one of the things that needs to change in this organization. That is exactly the mind set that I've been complaining about with this team for the past four seasons. MLB is the big stage, the Red Sox are just one team contending for a championship. Realizing that and getting back to the work it entails will help save this team and bring back a trophy. There needs to be a fundamental shift in this big stage mentality. We need dirt dogs and bloody socks that play sound baseball. The idea that players don't face as much pressure because they play in TB instead of Boston is why they keep beating us, and it is part of what created the problem with Crawford. The other team is supposed to choke and pass out just because the "pressure ready" Red Sox took the field, right? Wrong. The Red Sox and RSN need to collectively get over themselves if the want to get back on top.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lifelongsoxdawg. Show lifelongsoxdawg's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford can't handle the pressure:
    I thought this was another post slamming him, but this is written fairly. I think it was more than he thought it would be, but I also think he will adjust and raise his game to match it. The manager would be a help. I don't know that I'd say he had very little pressure in TB when you look at how they were in the hunt. I think it's more that the pressure here was different in that it became inward, meaning he created most of it himself by trying to live up to his contract and prove to the world that he could handle Boston. "Will you be able to handle Boston?" was what everyone was asking him in ST. Its less that he can't handle Boston, and more like he can't handle himself trying to handle Boston, if that makes sense. Also, let me add here that the idea that Boston is the "BIG STAGE" is one of the things that needs to change in this organization. That is exactly the mind set that I've been complaining about with this team for the past four seasons. MLB is the big stage, the Red Sox are just one team contending for a championship. Realizing that and getting back to the work it entails will help save this team and bring back a trophy. There needs to be a fundamental shift in this big stage mentality. We need dirt dogs and bloody socks that play sound baseball. The idea that players don't face as much pressure because they play in TB instead of Boston is why they keep beating us, and it is part of what created the problem with Crawford. The other team is supposed to choke and pass out just because the "pressure ready" Red Sox took the field, right? Wrong. The Red Sox and RSN need to collectively get over themselves if the want to get back on top.
    Posted by TheExaminer

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lifelongsoxdawg. Show lifelongsoxdawg's posts

Some excellent points. However, perception is often one's reality. In CC's case, his reality, like it or not, is playing on the big stage in Boston in front of sell out crowds night after night, in front of fans that are quick to let you know that you are not performing.

Take Randy Johnson for example. He performed at a very high level in Seattle and Arizona. However, that was not the case in New York. He could not handle the pressure. Like Randy, CC is struggling to make the transition. Can he rise above it? Maybe, but Randy couldn't. Will he have a better year in 2012? Perhaps, but he is going to need help dealing with the pressure. 

Think about it, He was very inconsistant and unsure of himself in left field this year, almost to the point where he was probably hoping that the ball wouldn't be hit in his direction. He look very tentative at times in left field. I never so that in TB, in fact I believe he won a gold glove while playing in TB. 

I agree, he is putting alot of pressure on himself and that is where the coaches come in. It is their job to help him find a way to play within himself like he did in TB. Comments 

Posted by TheExaminer

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

The big stage mentality is also prevanent in New York. It goes with the territory. It is the result of millions of fans with a sense of entitlement and a press that attempts to appease those fans. The idea that Boston is a big stage is the result of a spoiled fanbase of millions of fans, WEEI callers, and Boston forum participants. The organization is not responsible at all for the entitlement factor. Their job is to put the best team possible team on the field and to wiin 95 games per year. They have no control at all over the "fishbowl" phenomena. That is the fault of fans who expect a World Series trophy every year. Such fans need a reality check.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Crawford can't handle the pressure????

True, but Johnson was closer to the end of his career then wasn't he? What was more high pressure, pitching a perfect game or in the PS, or pitching regular season games in NY? That could cut both ways. I agree about CC looking tentative. It showed up worst on that last play. I thought even in live action as the play was happening that it looked like he was scared to death of that ball. My moniker on here reflects my daily job. I deal with people who are required to perform skill sets under pressure. My advice to them is always to focus on doing the job, and not on the fact that thy are feeling nervous. The question to ask is "what do I need to do in the next ten seconds to get past this segment of the test?" if you can't do that, your concentration is split, and you can't perform. So again, it may not be Boston that is the factor, it may be Crawford's ability to simply focus on what he does between the lines. In that you're right, a new manager might be just what he needs. A more sinister possibility is that he simply THINKS Boston is higher pressure, and cannot find a way to get out of his own head. If that is the case, its a character flaw, and he may be in real trouble here. If he focuses on baseball only, he can avoid this pitfall.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

The big stage mentality is also prevanent in New York. It goes with the territory. It is the result of millions of fans with a sense of entitlement and a press that attempts to appease those fans. The idea that Boston is a big stage is the result of a spoiled fanbase of millions of fans, WEEI callers, and Boston forum participants. The organization is not responsible at all for the entitlement factor. Their job is to put the best team possible team on the field and to wiin 95 games per year. They have no control at all over the "fishbowl" phenomena. That is the fault of fans who expect a World Series trophy every year. Such fans need a reality check.
    Posted by UticaClub

Agreed, but if and when the fishbowl/entitlement environment starts rubbing off on the players, it's time for the organization to take action. That has not been done before, but just may be done now. When you look at how this season ended, it's almost impossible to say the wasn't a good deal of complacency and entitlement in these players. I don't see any way around it. When that happens, it's time for the organization to take steps to shake things up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

It might be that Renteria couldn't perform on the big stage or Fishbowl and if that was the true problem then do we blame Theo, Renteria, the media or fans. It isn't an easy answer. Those who claim that they have the answer to the question are just BSing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford can't handle the pressure????:
    It might be that Renteria couldn't perform on the big stage or Fishbowl and if that was the true problem then do we blame Theo, Renteria, the media or fans. It isn't an easy answer. Those who claim that they have the answer to the question are just BSing.
    Posted by UticaClub

That's the million dollar question. There is no way Epstein could have anticipated all of this, so I don't totally blame him. The end of this season, like any out of the ordinary disaster, took a number of factors coming together--any one of which avoided would have stopped it. The sinking of the Titanic is one historical example of this kind of thing. CC needs to simplify. The best advice anyone could give him is to focus on fundamentals and let your natural abilities bring you back to where you belong. He may need to adjust his swing some to help with this. If he can't do that, then he really is a bust. But, it's early yet, I think he deserves another chance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

We are stuck with Crawford and Lackey for years to come.
    Just like the Yankees are stuck with A-Rod. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

We are stuck with Crawford and Lackey for years to come. Just like the Yankees are stuck with A-Rod. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream

I haven't given up on Crawford yet.  He just had a bad year and I expect that he will bounce back next season.  Not sure that Lackey won't be traded.  If it is possible to trade Lackey it may happen, but not sure what it would cost to trade him, draft picks, taking on another bad contract, etc. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford can't handle the pressure???? : I haven't given up on Crawford yet.  He just had a bad year and I expect that he will bounce back next season.  Not sure that Lackey won't be traded.  If it is possible to trade Lackey it may happen, but not sure what it would cost to trade him, draft picks, taking on another bad contract, etc. 
    Posted by susan250

I agree susan, the second half of the season Carls stats were pretty close to the norm.  CC has been fighting teams in the AL East for years and done well he should recover but I really do wish he would close his stance a bit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

can we give crawford next year to get it together...he was a huge letdown but i bet he still has skills -

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Crawford underestimated how a large media contingement could affect him compared to being left pretty much alone with the Rays with only light questions from them.
    The Sox lineup doesn't seem like a fit for him.    He needs to run and the Sox don't run much especially where he is in the lineup.
    He'll be around through 2018.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Let's hope that he does much better next year instead of flooding the forum with negative karma.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

Carl Crawford will recover for next season, I'm sure. He belongs to our team, we have to support ... True, Red Sox Nation is a very tough and demanding fans. But he is a talented player and is capable of doing great seasons ... Just patience. In the 2012 season will have to give all for all ...

I trust in Carl Crawford's talent

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Not sure what the Astros have the Sox could use but perhaps send CC to Houston and perhaps Beckett and include a third team if necessary. This would move both to their home area and get us out from under a couple of tough contracts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Given the total top to bottom mess the 2011 team turned out to be,  I am not sure it makes much sense to worry much about CC at this time.
      I really doubt many of us back in the spring would have guessed failure to live up to expectations would be a label we could apply to so many other members of this team beyond CC.
      If the rest of our team had preformed to expectations this year, I bet instead of wondering if CC can handle the pressure in Boston we would all be just feeling he had an off year.   Which IMHO is what we all better hope was the case for a lot of our team this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The Sox lineup doesn't seem like a fit for him. He needs to run and the Sox don't run much especially where he is in the lineup.
    He'll be around through 2018.

No, he does not fit. His game is largely based on his athleticism, which will decrease over the life of his enormous contract. In LF at Fenway there is so little territory for him to cover that his speed is almost wasted out there. His stance stinks; he has no patience at the plate; and his ability to steal bases is wasted on a team that under the previous manager just didn't run very much. He was a good fit for the Rays, but is a poor fit here. I would give him one more year. If he continues to underperform, ship him out if possible and just chalk this up to another bad signing by Epstink.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

I remember the countless posts that came after the signing of Crawford last offseason......besides the talk of contract size the most talked about question was where should he bat in the line up. There was a million thoughts but no one (not even Tito) could come up with an answer. When you are dishing out a contract like CC's, there should never be this many questions to your game. 

I know hindsight is 20/20 but he doesn't fit in with the team well. It is like sticking a square peg into a round hole. 

All that being said, he is a very talented player and I hope he can turn it around so we can get some kind of bang for our buck and raise his trade value. He has the ability, I just hope he can translate it to the "big stage."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Crawford can't handle the pressure????:
    Has it occurred to any of you guys that CC just can't handle the pressure of playing on a BIG STAGE in Boston. He had very little pressure in TB. In Boston the expectations are 10 fold. The media, the press and the fans are all relatively new to CC. I don't believe this was factored in when they were scouting him. Simple put, he can't handle the pressure and it is affecting all aspects of his game. So, I think that the real challenge for the new manager is to find a way to take the pressure off from CC and help him focus and concentrate on his playing and forget about all of the other distractions. 
    Posted by lifelongsoxdawg

From theory to solution in 5 easy seconds.  So much for the scientific method.

By the way, Crawford played in a World Series, and had a very good series.  5 for 19 qith 2 HRs and a .932 OPS.   Are we to assume that playng in Boston is more pressure than playing in the World Series?  I'm having trouble with that one.

It amazes me that people who have never been to another city automatically assume playing baseball in Boston is the toughest thing, simply because that is the only team criticized by the local media..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Posted by TheExaminer

WOW! and Crawford killed the sox on ( THE BIG STAGE ) When he played with TB. Try something else and see if that works

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Maybe he just had a bad year?

Or is that not possible for any RS player?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Posted by TheExaminer

Best theory of the day.

I could easily understand if Crawford is struggling to justify himself as the highest paid OF in baseball history.  Players absolutely do feel pressure when they sign these big deals,; A-Rod justified the pressure as a reason to turn to steroids after signing his mega-deal with Texas.

This, of course, means the pressure is independant of Boston and Crawford would struggle to justify his play in Detroit or Oakland or Cleveland or anywhere where he got this mega-deal.  Trying to live up to such a contract becomes a vicious circle...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford can't handle the pressure : Best theory of the day. I could easily understand if Crawford is struggling to justify himself as the highest paid OF in baseball history.  Players absolutely do feel pressure when they sign these big deals,; A-Rod justified the pressure as a reason to turn to steroids after signing his mega-deal with Texas. This, of course, means the pressure is independant of Boston and Crawford would struggle to justify his play in Detroit or Oakland or Cleveland or anywhere where he got this mega-deal.  Trying to live up to such a contract becomes a vicious circle...
    Posted by notin
    Common sense on display here.

Sections
Shortcuts