Crawford, Ellsbury, Reddick...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Crawford, Ellsbury, Reddick...

I jumped the Red Sox Bandwagon in 1978, and this is the fastest trio of outfielders I can recall. I'm not saying they're the best defensive outfield Boston has had, but easily the speediest that I can remember. It was cool to see all three of them use their speed to put together four runs in the fifth last night.

I raised the question on last night's game thread, and some suggested Rice-Lynn-Evans. They might have been better, but not faster IMO.

Anyway, some of you go back further than me ... thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Re: Crawford, Ellsbury, Reddick...

In Response to Crawford, Ellsbury, Reddick...:
    [QUOTE]I jumped the Red Sox Bandwagon in 1978, and this is the fastest trio of outfielders I can recall.

Your recall is not flawed.  But you must take into consideration the following.  From 1939, for nearly five decades, left field was consistently patrolled by 3 Hall-of-Famers, Williams, Yaz, and Rice, none of whom were particularly fleet of foot. And from 1987-1998, Greenwell roamed left field, followed by Cordero for a single season before O'Leary took over for the following 5 seasons.  Then in 2002 began the Manny era.  And trust me, these guys are not remembered as being fleet of foot.

Any one of these guys would deflate the potential for a 'fastest trio' outfield since 1939.  What may have occured prior to that era goes beyond my pay grade.

So there is a very real certainty that the trio of Crawford, Ellsbury, and Reddish represent the speediest outfield trio.

Now, if they could only produce offensively as a trio as the likes of Rice, Lynn, Evans or Williams, DiMag, Zarilla, or Yaz, Smith, Conigliaro, we could really have something to debate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

I'd take the Yaz-Reggie-Tony C. set, given good health.
    Three run homers beat stolen bases, lol.

BUT the potential power-speed combo of current trio IS awesome !
    Personally I never saw 20 + HR possibilities from Jacoby, and I remain very optimistic about Reddick. Plus you have to figure Craw will eventually revert to career norms. So I think we may reasonably expect totals approaching 110 sb's and 60 + homers from them.

And the outfield defense, particularly on the road, should be A+.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]I jumped the Red Sox Bandwagon in 1978, and this is the fastest trio of outfielders I can recall. I'm not saying they're the best defensive outfield Boston has had, but easily the speediest that I can remember. It was cool to see all three of them use their speed to put together four runs in the fifth last night. I raised the question on last night's game thread, and some suggested Rice-Lynn-Evans. They might have been better, but not faster IMO. Anyway, some of you go back further than me ... thoughts?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]
    I remember the hey days of Mr Rice, Mr Lynn and what I believe to be the most under rated outfielder of all time in Dewey. Most forget the Dewey came up first and was in fact the youngest of the three. There was never anything like them in my baseball lifetime. No they were not faster, Jimmy learned the wall from Yaz and was more than adequate, Lynn was like watching a gazelle and Dewey was better than both of them, he had a gun for an arm, I dont ever remember anyone trying to take an extra base when he was fielding a ball.
    But I do really like what we have today!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford, Ellsbury, Reddick...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Crawford, Ellsbury, Reddick... : I remember the hey days of Mr Rice, Mr Lynn and what I believe to be the most under rated outfielder of all time in Dewey. Most forget the Dewey came up first and was in fact the youngest of the three. There was never anything like them in my baseball lifetime. No they were not faster, Jimmy learned the wall from Yaz and was more than adequate, Lynn was like watching a gazelle and Dewey was better than both of them, he had a gun for an arm, I dont ever remember anyone trying to take an extra base when he was fielding a ball. But I do really like what we have today!
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]
    Dewey is my favorite Red Sox of all time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

RE:  Speed - the guys they had in the early 1900's may have been the fastest:

Duffy Lewis, Tris Speaker, Harry Hooper

They also had a lot of burners in the Dan Duquette "bargin bin" era - Ortis Nixon, Dwayne Hosey, Lee Tinsley, Darren Lewis, etc.......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

1975 Red Sox

LF - Rice aged 22
    CF- Lynn aged 23
    RF - Evans aged 23

Just incredible. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think you gotta do

Yaz
    Lynn
    Evans

Honorable mention:

Gator
    Burks
    Bruno

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Again, not talking BEST outfields. Talking FASTEST. I'd never suggest this is the best outfield the Sox have ever had.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

then the fastest is

Duffy Lewis, Tris Speaker, Harry Hooper

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]then the fastest is Duffy Lewis, Tris Speaker, Harry Hooper
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
    OK, fine ... this current group is the speediest outfield the Red Sox have had since the Wilson Administration.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I jumped the Red Sox Bandwagon in 1978, and this is the fastest trio of outfielders I can recall. I'm not saying they're the best defensive outfield Boston has had, but easily the speediest that I can remember. It was cool to see all three of them use their speed to put together four runs in the fifth last night. I raised the question on last night's game thread, and some suggested Rice-Lynn-Evans. They might have been better, but not faster IMO. Anyway, some of you go back further than me ... thoughts?

Lloyd, I was a huge supporter of Rice, Lynn and Dewey.  Lynn had a habit of wanting a bit more attention than the other two but I loved the guy.  Freddy used to love and make "sometimes difficult" but mostly routine catches by diving or hitting the wall, then playing hurt :)  Ells, Carl & Reddick may not be the final product because they are all lefties.  I like our present OF and the speed it brings to the club but still have a feeling Theo will be fighting with the Yankees at some point over Kemp. 

As we saw today, a good solid RH or even LH hitter who can handle good LH pitching is something we still need and it will probably be in our OF.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]then the fastest is Duffy Lewis, Tris Speaker, Harry Hooper
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

2 HOFamers+ Tris Speaker in many circles is 2nd best all around CF of all time next to the incomparable Willie Mays.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The only faster OF's for  the Sox might be either the O'Leary-Lewis-Bragg OF of 1998 (How did a team with that OF make the post-season?) or maybe the Greenwell-Nixon-Hatcher OF of 1994, not that Greenwell added much speed...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I can see Scott Boras smiling at Ellsbury.

Scott Boras: "Ellsbury's 2011 success =  $$$$$$$$."