Crawford- Henry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxman16. Show soxman16's posts

Crawford- Henry

I have always liked Carl Crawford and always thought about him becoming a member of the RedSox. I was very happy when they acquired him last off season..We all know Carl did not have his typical year and although he was still playing in the same division as he was with the Rays he needs to be given a chance.. Now with the latest news that Henry did not support the signing of Carl... are you kidding me John Henry? Now this is headline news on Boston.com.. Honestly, if I am Carl Crawford right now i would want out of this despicable organization and town.... Maybe Carls performance was due to his environment?? Has anyone thought of this? Maybe he thought the team was basically made up of a lot of losers who did not care about playing together as a team... The way everything is unfolding right now is an absolute disgrace...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Crawford- Henry

Sooner or later, the dust will settle.  

Henry should have shut his mouth.  But it is what it is.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Henry is a straight liar, trying to pin this mistake on Theo. CC is here because Henry wanted him, period.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Crawford- Henry:
    [QUOTE]Maybe Carls performance was due to his environment?? Has anyone thought of this? Maybe he thought the team was basically made up of a lot of losers who did not care about playing together as a team... Posted by soxman16[/QUOTE]

He was absolutely terrible all season long and he was actually man enough to admit it.  If he decided to fall back on the "the team was a bunch of losers" excuse for why he couldnt hit or catch the f%$%ing ball, then he's as despicable as the rest of them.

I would understand if he took this opportunity to flee, but if he tries to hide behind a BS fake excuse for his failure, he's a coward.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The talk of Crawford fleeing is silly because his contract pretty much guarantees he is going nowhere for the next six years.

Henry putting the signing on Theo is another weak, weak show by the Yachster.

Crawford comes back and tears it up next year, shutting the Liverpool Weasel and 3/4 of this board up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I will be one those on this board who will be glad to be shut up on a Crawford come back. What will you do if he stinks it up again? Say the third year is the charm.  Don't you think disappointment and anger was in order for Crawford?  He was horrible in every facet of the game. Every facet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford- Henry:
    [QUOTE]I will be one those on this board who will be glad to be shut up on a Crawford come back. What will you do if he stinks it up again? Say the third year is the charm.  Don't you think disappointment and anger was in order for Crawford?  He was horrible in every facet of the game. Every facet.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Concord.  Of course, I would not make any argument to the contrary.  His play was poor in all facets of the game.  And I am not implying that people were/are not justified in criticizing him.  But, given that I had watched this guy wreak havoc on the Sox for years prior to last, I have to chalk the year up as an abberation:  adjustment to the Boston circus, adjustment to the pressures of being paid like a savior, adjustment to not fitting in the line-up (of course this does not have any bearing on his horrible play in the field or lack of aggressiveness on the basepaths, which are the biggest of his failures this season in my eyes).  And, as an abbreation, I hope he can use all the negative criticism leveled at him as a tool to really bring it next year.  If he doesn't, hey, I will be utterly dissappointed.  I will admit 'Carl Crawford is a bust'.  I just can't do that after one down year, as i have seen a lot of baseball in my life, and seen a lot of bad years by good players that get turned around.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

I never liked the signing.
    Still, here comes the Theo bashing from the FO.
    I wonder if they would try to trade Crawford, in light of Henry's comments?
    He certainly puts the player in an uncomfortable position.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Pretty stupid on Henrys part to say that he didn't support Crawfords signing If in fact he is now saying that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Henry saying that he did not support the Crawford signing is not just a weasely buck-pass.  it proves him to be a dumb-azz.  John, you are about to be in to this guy for 21 million freakin dollars a year for 7 years, you really don't want to do it, but you are willing to be bullied into it by your subordinates?  Nice. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Concord and many others were EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED in the play of Crawford. The only difference is that Concord never said "I am disappointed". Instead he bashed Crawford and Theo for signing him. He predicted that the one bad year would project into seven. He was in attack mode and needed to bash. Others on the forum remain silent and patient and are hopeful and feel compassion for CC. NOT CONCORD.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Henry is a straight liar, trying to pin this mistake on Theo. CC is here because Henry wanted him, period.
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]And you know this how?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Obviously I don't know, I just analyze facts. Theo likes players who can get on base and that has never been Crawford's strength. But he was the shiniest toy on the shelf and the NESN ratings were hurting. I can't see Theo rushing to CC to give him a massive contract given that he didn't fit the mold unless upper management encouraged it. Think about it, we already had a plethora of lefties in the OF, we already had a number 2 hitter, we already had another player on the team that replicated his skill set. Yet, were not most fans excited when they heard the Sox signed him? Yes, the contract is outrageous, but it created "buzz" for the fanbase. And hey, what do you know, NESN ratings up by thirty percent this season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Henry is a bafoon. I can imagine the next time they meet.

John: Hi Carl
    Carl: You didn't support signing me?

If he didn't support signing him, then he should have prevented it from taking place. If they ended up signing him anyway, keep your mouth shut.

Let the Smear Campaign continue.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

The Sox PR smear campaign continues...who will they target next? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDShorty. Show JDShorty's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox PR smear campaign continues...who will they target next? 
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

Youk... As he is being shoved out the Clubhouse doors via trade...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Henry's totally unsuitable as a person at the top of an organization.

Typical problem in business - people mistaking skill sets as transferable.  His skill set (financial analysis and trading) helped him - for a while - amass wealth.  It still does.

But running an organization is about getting others to do their very best every day.  Totally different skill set.

Wonder how Crawford feels hearing that the CEO regrets hiring him? 

Henry is literally so unskilled with people management that he probably couldn't run a Burger King franchise, and I'm not at all kidding.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Sounds like something George S. would say.  Maybe his ghost is haunting the old man.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

[QUOTE]Henry is a straight liar, trying to pin this mistake on Theo. CC is here because Henry wanted him, period.
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

No player is ever going to be the player their contract dollar figure says they should be (I will however note Manny's Cleveland and Boston numbers were darn close to identical).  Crawford had a bad year. Mark Texeria has had several by the terms of his contract.  Everything you hear about Crawford is that he busts his hump (and he appeared to be coming around prior to mid-season injury), Haven't heard about him drinking in the clubhouse or otherwise giving anyone a hard time.  Let us see how things go next year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I want to see Crawford do well, I have no problem with him. He didn't have a good year, but I think he will adjust. It doesn't help when the team owner says he doesn't want you however. 

Oh, and BTW, it wasn't Henry/upper management who leaked out the Tito info, either. The upper management is without blame for anything. 

Henry is a slimeball, karma will come for him. Maybe next time he slips on his yacht he will fall overboard.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I question why Henry would take any personal position on Crawford. OTOH I think there may probably is at least some truth to the fact that the baseball ops were hot on Crawford and did not have him shoved down their throats by the Trio.

Some of Theo's statements after the signing were either him spinning or do suggest that baseball ops guys were at least onboard wit this signing.

These of course included that his baseball operations people had closed tracked Crawford for three years and the infamous revalation that they had a PI investigate Carl's off field lifestyle.

Without getting in great detail I can see some of the baseball operations thinking that led to Crawford. The RS were going to be 2 OFers short in 2012, they had the worst OF offensive production in 2010, their farm system had no clear cant't miss OFers - let alone two, last year's FA market was better than this year's and the recent contract valuations for OFer had all been higher than the RS every thought the market would go (Bay, Holliday and Werth).

Their projections may have wiffed on how Crawford's defensive impact would translate in 81 games at Fenway and/or how his particular swing habits would be muted by the massive RF at Fenway.

My feeling now is that just who Carl Crawford will be after only one season is unclear. But if he had 5 years out of 7 just like his career year of 2010 as RS player it was a bit of an over reach in terms of the contract $$$ and years. If he was his career averages prior to coming to Boston it was a bad value. If and let's hope not, that his 2011 is his future ceiling, this contract will go down as the worst big ticket FA signing that did not decline because early catstrophic injury in history of post reserve clause baseball. There is no sugar coating how bad he was in 2011.

I happened to think at the time that there was pressure from the Trio to increase the star power of the team and Theo's innocent but ill conceived explanation of a bridge year before 2010 may have caused that. I never thought the Rs would sign CC but when they did figured they knew more than I do. Who knows they still could be right but it looks dark right now.

All that said it might have been easier to just say that "we have never as ownership ever told the baseball operations team to make a deal or a signing based on business operations. Carl's signing was based on the baseball operations team's full endorsement and valuations."

I just don't get what purpose there was in saying as the managing partner i was never was for a guy I still owe $127M to.

The witch hunt in Boston appears to be wearing some folks down and they should make like Pedro did many years in Boston, turn off the radios and get their heads down on building a 2012 organization from GM to 40 man roster.

Just my takes 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Sit back, have a beer andlisten to this interview. WEEI Felger gets undressed.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/thebuzz/2011/10/audio_john_henr.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Some clown tried to cover for Inepstein by claiming ownership was behind and/or approved the deal. Epstein wasnt getting an extension and Henry made it clear he did not like the idea of signing Crawford as more of the same as what was in house.

Crawford will improve over 2011, but will remain a signature InEpstein model.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OZGOD. Show OZGOD's posts

It's Henry's subtle way of challenging CC to do better and justify the $140m next year. CC can either throw the toys out of the crib and sulk or he can take it as a challenge to do better. End of day it's up to him how he responds to it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) Must make Crawford feel wanted and loved here the next 6 years.

2) If Henry really didn't want CC here and felt strongly about it, He wouldn't be here.

3) I like how he said we can ask anybody about his position. It's like softyy saying "ask any of my friends, and they'll tell you I'm not a racist."