Crawford- Henry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Guvnor. Show Guvnor's posts

Re: Crawford- Henry

In Response to Re: Crawford- Henry:
    2) If Henry really didn't want CC here and felt strongly about it , He wouldn't be here. Posted by moonslav59

i agree with that....you honestly think the sox hand out one of its biggest contracts ever if henry was at worst supportive.....if he was ooposed there's no way it happens.

these comments put crawford now in an invidious position.....the gm and manager that recruited him have gone and publicly the owner says he doesnt want him, thats really poor from henry, no thought whatsoever.

as bad as crawford was, theres no excuse for that type of management/leadership

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Crawford- Henry:
    I have always liked Carl Crawford and always thought about him becoming a member of the RedSox. I was very happy when they acquired him last off season..We all know Carl did not have his typical year and although he was still playing in the same division as he was with the Rays he needs to be given a chance.. Now with the latest news that Henry did not support the signing of Carl... are you kidding me John Henry? Now this is headline news on Boston.com.. Honestly, if I am Carl Crawford right now i would want out of this despicable organization and town.... Maybe Carls performance was due to his environment?? Has anyone thought of this? Maybe he thought the team was basically made up of a lot of losers who did not care about playing together as a team... The way everything is unfolding right now is an absolute disgrace...
    Posted by soxman16

Whetjer or not he supported it is immaterial.  He had to either approve the deal or the judgement of the man who made it.  So the deal had his approval, which is more important than his support...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He lost a lot of respect in my eyes. There's nothing to gain by stating his CC position except selfaggrandizement. 

It backfired.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

He lost a lot of respect in my eyes. There's nothing to gain by stating his CC position except selfaggrandizement.  It backfired.
    Posted by moonslav59
    I agree. John Henry for the most part stays in background for a reason. He usually only jumps in when angry and it seldom works out great. He did do a masterful job of herding the deuling mentor and mentoree (LL and Theo) after the 2005 season but here are just two other examples of when Henry gets in the spotlight when angered:

"Nomar and his agent are disingenuous" and then reveals just what Nomar had turned down before the start of the 2003 season. Foolish move.

Tweets "we wish Mr Texieria and his wife good luck" slamming the door on the negotiations before he had to.

But from the background on this story, Henry was pizzed. Bad time to have gone on with rabid dog talk radio shock jocks.

But my take from this is first that there probably was some truth to what he said. My guess is that the baseball ops guys might have been divided but the prevailing feeling was to go with it. His business ops guys probably were divided too.

So why did he go along with it? A wise mentor of mine told me a long time ago a smart man does not buy a dog and then let it bark.

So he probably was tired of hearing aside from everything else that has flown around that he shoved Crawford down the baseball ops people's throats.

Dumb move that come from acting when angry. I try and teach managers that when dealing with an issue when you are angry it is like jello. Try and handle it when its hot, it will burn you and never get your hands around it. Put it in the refrigerator overnight it is amazing how it is it is to handle it and get your hands around it.

Henry should have put the issue in the refrigerator overnight and dealt with it later rather drive over to the studio and go toe-to-toe on the air. Bad move no way around it but probably not a lie.

Just my take.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I finally started to listen to this interview. The headline sounds nasty about his being against the Crawford signing.

The context is a tad less nasty. The rest of the sound bite was the reason why he wasn't on board was he felt the team was already stacked with LH (duh BTW.)

Just the same he probably needs to call CC and explain context.

BTW I have never heard Feiger before. What a tool, he makes the guys at WEEI look like Edward R Murrow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I thought that we already learned a lesson today after listening to John Henry about the importance of "context"....What he said was the he opposed the signing but he trusted his baseball opps guys who made a compelling argument that swayed the vote in their favor..He never said that he didn't want him, nor did he at anytime suggest that it was a bad signing or make references to Crawford ability or lack thereof. Merely that he was opposed because we already had enough lefthanded hitters and as a rule in his eyes he's wary of free agents for a myriad of reasons...Lets not put words into his mouth, the press is already doing a fine job of that...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I try and teach managers that when dealing with an issue when you are angry it is like jello. Try and handle it when its hot, it will burn you and never get your hands around it. Put it in the refrigerator overnight it is amazing how it is it is to handle it and get your hands around it.

Good advicee, and one reason I refrained from making judgements until after a few days past the season's end.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Never should have said anything about not wanting Crawford. Crawford has enough to deal with as it is with all the naysayers. Smart guy to get where he is today, but not a great decision to make a comment like that. He's not someone posting on a baseball forum, he's the owner of the Red Sox. It does seem like he was speaking out of anger, and not thinking about what he was saying. Even if he couldn't see it himself, he should have people around him to keep him from doing that. JMO

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I don't know why the media or people here want to bring down Pedroia or AGon. These are two guys who are super-stars and we need them.  I can't believe Crawford is going to feel much better about himself hearing he wasn't wanted, if thats how I understand it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I don't know why the media or people here want to bring down Pedroia or AGon. These are two guys who are super-stars and we need them.  I can't believe Crawford is going to feel much better about himself hearing he wasn't wanted, if thats how I understand it.
    Posted by BurritoT

And yet when this very subject is discussed, you suddenly have issues with how it's being stated.

I love it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Lackey is a jerk, Beckett has not come forward yet to admit or deny anything, both the GM and Manager are gone - sorry but those people can be discussed but expecting a solid performer like Pedroia to throw his mates under the bus or to pick apart AGon for complaining about Sunday night games is absurd.

I am with AGon, as a fan I hate that Boston (unlike the Cubs) refuses to have reasonable start times.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Henry just showing up at the station was great, old school move.  Felger sounds like a jerk the entire time, raised voice, twisiting everything, and absolute disrepsect for someone who frankly could buy his azz with the money in his wallet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I don't know why the media or people here want to bring down Pedroia or AGon.

Lackey is a jerk, Beckett has not come forward yet to admit or deny anything, both the GM and Manager are gone - sorry but those people can be discussed.

Burrito

It's all a part of the same witch-hunt. It's just a matter of who's the popular choice to get burned at the stake this week.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

classic case of running your mouth before running your brain.  I am hoping the CC will turn it around next year, hopefully (if he needed anymore) this will motivate.  I am just wondering how any descent Free Agents will want to have anything to do with this team.  I know money changes everything but wow.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm not so sure this is such a big deal.  When the Yankees signed Soriano, Cashman went on record that it wasn't his signing, that he was overruled.  What's the difference here, except that it's months after the fact.  Well I guess the really big difference is that it's 4 times as much money.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Why the heck would an owner of the Redsox publically state he was opposed to the Carl Crawford signing? What good comes out of that?

Absolutely embarrassing. Crawford must want out of this chaos. What was Henry thinking? What a mess the Sox are right now.

I really hope Crawford comes back and has a monstrous year. I really bad for the guy. Nothing like the owner kicking you while you were down.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Henry saying that he did not support the Crawford signing is not just a weasely buck-pass.  it proves him to be a dumb-azz.  John, you are about to be in to this guy for 21 million freakin dollars a year for 7 years, you really don't want to do it, but you are willing to be bullied into it by your subordinates?  Nice. 
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Agree with you.  Henry shouldn't talk to the public.   Maybe his intention is to blame someone else for his mistakes.  He is the owner and he doesn't want to sign someone he shouldn't feel coerced into it by the general manager.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Why the heck would an owner of the Redsox publically state he was opposed to the Carl Crawford signing? What good comes out of that? Absolutely embarrassing. Crawford must want out of this chaos. What was Henry thinking? What a mess the Sox are right now. I really hope Crawford comes back and has a monstrous year. I really bad for the guy. Nothing like the owner kicking you while you were down.
    Posted by Newfiebullet

Again...It was stated in the context of how he and his senior managers run their buisness. He even qualified the statement by stating that he's not a baseball expert and rely's on his baseball opps guys to make all baseball decisions...His statement was simply an example of how he allows his baseball opps guys to make decision and to present a complelling case to him and the board, then it's put to a vote and the majority rules, and his vote is but just one.

In the case of Crawford he was in the minority and from what I've gleen from other story's too...Luccino, Epstein, Cherington and Francona all were proponant of the signing and they swayed the vote and the signing was approved...Thats how all good buisnesses are run, hire experts, give them the tools they need and empower them to make decisions...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

interesting remark about carl from henry.  Not sure how crawford stays here now with the non confidence vote from the owner.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Did anyone see the story on ESPN.com today on Crawford?
    They had comparisons to the worst free agent signings ever.
    Crawford's first year is far and away, the worst ever in baseball history.
    His first season is worth .9 million vs. what he got, creating the largest margin.
    A distant second is Barry Zito.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Alex Speier
    For what it's worth, Henry has gone on record in past saying he opposed other deals (notably Beckett trade), but he deferred to baseball ops

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Did anyone see the story on ESPN.com today on Crawford? They had comparisons to the worst free agent signings ever. Crawford's first year is far and away, the worst ever in baseball history. His first season is worth .9 million vs. what he got, creating the largest margin. A distant second is Barry Zito.
    Posted by GhostofTito

For what it is worth, here is the link.

By the way, Jason Bay had a worst year than CC. Would you rather have had Adam Dunn?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford- Henry : Again...It was stated in the context of how he and his senior managers run their buisness. He even qualified the statement by stating that he's not a baseball expert and rely's on his baseball opps guys to make all baseball decisions...His statement was simply an example of how he allows his baseball opps guys to make decision and to present a complelling case to him and the board, then it's put to a vote and the majority rules, and his vote is but just one. In the case of Crawford he was in the minority and from what I've gleen from other story's too...Luccino, Epstein, Cherington and Francona all were proponant of the signing and they swayed the vote and the signing was approved...Thats how all good buisnesses are run, hire experts, give them the tools they need and empower them to make decisions...
    Posted by Beantowne

I understand the context behind what Henry was attempting to do. As you stated, it appears his intent was to show that he does not have veto power in player personel decisions and allows them to do there job. With that I agree with you.

However, I don't understand what good it does to publically state that the principle owner of the team was opposed to bringing in Carl Crawford. Crawford is a guy who had a terrible year but has 6 years left on an enormous contract. How does he feel coming back here in spring training knowing the owner did not want him?

The perception I take from this is that Henry was more interested in making himself and the rest of the ownership look good and was willing to throw Crawford under the bus in that process. I think Henry was totally wrong in this & I feel there was much better avenues to get his point across rather then belittling Carl Crawford. I just don't see the positive that can come out of this.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Did anyone see the story on ESPN.com today on Crawford? They had comparisons to the worst free agent signings ever. Crawford's first year is far and away, the worst ever in baseball history. His first season is worth .9 million vs. what he got, creating the largest margin. A distant second is Barry Zito.
    Posted by GhostofTito

I don't see how that can be right.  Adam Dunn's 2011 season was valued at a MINUS $13 million by FanGraphs.  The AAV of Dunn's contract is 14 million, so that would make it a bigger margin than Crawford's.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Bay's contract is 5 million a year less than Crawford's, and four years less.
    Plus, Bay had no problem playing in Boston, as Crawford seems to have.
    Bay's production here was something Crawford could only dream of.
    As for the ESPN article, I didn't make it up. Dunn's contract is 8 million less than Crawford's.

Sections
Shortcuts