Crawford injured again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Crawford injured again

Carl Çrawford signed a mega-contract and is playing like a fourth outfielder.  Hitting back in the line-up and getting injured over and over again.  What a disaster this move appears to have been.  I root for him every game because I remember how often he hurt us in a Tampa uniform.  Something is wrong though this guy appears lost at the plate and does not even look good in the outfield.

How could a player batting sixth and seven in the line-up justify a multi-year 23 million a year multi  year contract?  I mean what were they thinking.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Crawford injured again

he has a good agent????  our GM was high?  I dunno...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

Its a minor injury, maybe a game or 2.     His bat has been getting better and he will be very valuable the rest of the season.   Just watch and see.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Ellsbury has more than exposed Crawford. My fear is that Ellsbury leaves because the Sox will nickel and dime him when a guy with no Sox history of success is given a bank vault--Crawford. This is typical of Theo's history as a GM. Over paying guys who are just not that good--Lackey, Drew, Crawford, Renteria, Lugo, Jenks. Will the money bank be open for Papelbon, for Ellsbury, for even Aceves? Will it?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

This is the problem with the high payroll.  they can't afford to pay the guys that deserve the money.  Entering every year with nearly 40 million committed to 2 over-rated players is gonna be tough.  

For the record too, don't be mad at Crawford or Lackey...they NEVER put up numbers to warrant the huge contracts they got...all they did was sign a terrible contract offered to them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If we lose Ellsbury because we blew our budget on Crawford, we will regret Theo's blunder for many many years to come.........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Crawford injured again:
    [QUOTE]Carl Çrawford signed a mega-contract and is playing like a fourth outfielder.  Hitting back in the line-up and getting injured over and over again.  What a disaster this move appears to have been.  I root for him every game because I remember how often he hurt us in a Tampa uniform.  Something is wrong though this guy appears lost at the plate and does not even look good in the outfield. How could a player batting sixth and seven in the line-up justify a multi-year 23 million a year multi  year contract?  I mean what were they thinking.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

My sincere thanks for your sincere concern concerning Crawford. I would bet that 98% of RSN is disappointed in Crawford this season - including the FO, managers, players and Crawford himself. Do you think that ownership and the FO expected this when he was signed? Did they predict the injuries. Did they have the benefit of 20-20 hindsight? Most of RSN (millions) feel just like you do but they choose not to preach to the choir.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again:
    [QUOTE]he has a good agent????  our GM was high?  I dunno...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

"our GM was high?'

you're close, georom.

the SOX GM was high-ly inept.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

it is too early to bail on CC...i didnt give up on drew until a month ago and in the back of my head, i felt that dice could turn it around...the only player i didnt have faith in was Cameron and that was confirmed by theo as a mistake....wake is what he is and does his best....the money anyone makes is no concern of mine...their production is

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

not a lot of confidence in Ellsbury--that was Theo's mindthought, especially the ridiculous experiment of moving him to LF--what a disaster that was.

Not being able to get a Sabbathia--hence going hard for Lackey because he was the only one available. Same with Crawford.

Again, if your choices are limited, bide your time. He did with the AGON deal. Wait it out. Maybe you can use money on guys who help rather than guys who don't. The best Sox have always been the ones that show early production early on in their Sox careers--Manny, Ortiz, Pedroia, Youkilis, Nomar, Buchholz, Lester, Papelbon, AGON..The not so best Sox are the ones that are slow early and then continue to be slow--Drew, Crawford, Lackey, Renteria, Lugo, Cameron, Tony Clark...a lot of non-Sox guys. The guys who came up through the organization or are premium free agent signees are the quality guys not the *gasp" free agent signings of some of the guys I just mentioned. Guys who simply were not stars to begin with and didn't justify the salaries they received from the Sox vault.

It's time that Theo learned this--no more signing marginal talents for high-price moneyh.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Clark was an example of a guy not a high-priced guy, but a Sox player who performed miserably as a Sox. He was on the roster too long when he was here becoming a regular joke for fans.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Get rid of him for non performance and get out of the obscene contract he was signed to.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Anyone who thinks Carl Crawford is a "bust" needs to look at his stats for his first ten years.

From 2003 to 2010 he has had a solid to great batting average.

He has not had a history of injuries.

The problem is similar to what A-Rod experienced in his first year in New York. In Tampa Bay , Crawford was a leader, he was a focal point of the offense, he was THE MAN for that team.

He now must adjust to being a cog in a machine, something he is not used to. He is not the main guy in this lineup, in fact it is not necessary for him to be great just play well.

A-Rod seemed to experience this in New York, he was , for years, the main guy in Seattle , then Texas...in New York he was just another guy.

Give up on this guy now and you will be singing a different song in the future. This guy is no Drew.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Was Cashman a model that Theo should emulate??

Sterling Hitchcock
     Kyle Farnsworth
     Octavio Dotel
     Roger Clemens (2007)
    Kei Igawa
     Kenny Rogers
    Kevin Brown
     Jason Giambi ( one good year)
     Jose Contreras
     Jaret Wright
     Steve Karsay
     Dave Collins
     Ray Smalley
    Hedeki Irabu
    Rondell White
    Carl Pavano
     Jat Buhner
     Jeff Weaver
     Drew Henson
     Tony Womack

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone who thinks Carl Crawford is a "bust" needs to look at his stats for his first ten years. From 2003 to 2010 he has had a solid to great batting average. He has not had a history of injuries. The problem is similar to what A-Rod experienced in his first year in New York. In Tampa Bay , Crawford was a leader, he was a focal point of the offense, he was THE MAN for that team. He now must adjust to being a cog in a machine, something he is not used to. He is not the main guy in this lineup, in fact it is not necessary for him to be great just play well. A-rod seemed to experience this in New York, he was , for years, the main guy in Seattle , then Texas...in New York he was just another guy. Give up on this guy now nad you will be singing a different song in the future. This guy is no Drew.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I don't think he's a bust cause of his numbers, I just don't think he will ever be able to put up the numbers needed to justify the contract...

He's never been a high average guy, his on base percentage has never been great...he might be able to hit 20 home runs, but I doubt it.  This is all just my opinion.  I am thrilled to have Crawford here, just wish it was for about 14-15 million per year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]not a lot of confidence in Ellsbury--that was Theo's mindthought, especially the ridiculous experiment of moving him to LF--what a disaster that was. Not being able to get a Sabbathia--hence going hard for Lackey because he was the only one available. Same with Crawford. Again, if your choices are limited, bide your time. He did with the AGON deal. Wait it out. Maybe you can use money on guys who help rather than guys who don't. The best Sox have always been the ones that show early production early on in their Sox careers--Manny, Ortiz, Pedroia, Youkilis, Nomar, Buchholz, Lester, Papelbon, AGON..The not so best Sox are the ones that are slow early and then continue to be slow--Drew, Crawford, Lackey, Renteria, Lugo, Cameron, Tony Clark...a lot of non-Sox guys. The guys who came up through the organization or are premium free agent signees are the quality guys not the *gasp" free agent signings of some of the guys I just mentioned. Guys who simply were not stars to begin with and didn't justify the salaries they received from the Sox vault. It's time that Theo learned this--no more signing marginal talents for high-price moneyh.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

theo has a lot of george w in him. he's arrogant for no apparent reason, and he's too stupid to know how stupid he is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LS350. Show LS350's posts

[QUOTE]Was Cashman a model that Theo should emulate?? Sterling Hitchcock  Kyle Farnsworth  Octavio Dotel  Roger Clemens (2007) Kei Igawa  Kenny Rogers Kevin Brown  Jason Giambi ( one good year)  Jose Contreras  Jaret Wright  Steve Karsay  Dave Collins  Ray Smalley Hedeki Irabu Rondell White Carl Pavano  Jat Buhner  Jeff Weaver  Drew Henson  Tony Womack
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

Good points.  I don't know why Cashman signed Dave Collins or "Ray" Smalley, and you forgot Don Gullett.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Crawford has had a disappointing start to his Red Sox career, but the Theo bashers should remember that he has brought us in the past year: Gonzalez, Salty, Aceves, Albers & (jury still out) Miller.  The Gonzalez trade was a freaking heist!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

What type of numbers would justify this size contract?

People need to stop thinking homeruns. Crawford is not a homerun hitter.

He has hit lots of triples, doubles and singles.

He will never be able to put up RBI numbers because of the guys hitting ahead of him in the lineup.

The problem mainly is he is a top of the lineup guy on a team that didn't need a top of the lineup guy. We already have #1-#5 covered with Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzalez, Youkilis, Ortiz. Crawford is struggling because he is like a fifth wheel, the team went overboard to correct a broken team in the offseason. He really doesn't fit in this lineup with so many lefties and so many top of the lineup hitters.

But , look at the plus side. Would you rather him underperforming here or killing us in New York? The awful truth is, if we didn't get him he would be wearing pinstripes right now...and likely be the solution to at least one of their problems.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe-------------------. Show -TheBabe-------------------'s posts

Can you say "albatross"?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

And yet he's still played in more games that Ellsbury did last year.

Ellsbury isn't interested in staying in Boston.  He will never sign an extension - Boras won't let him - and will go to the highest bidder during free agency.  I predict he'll go to the Mets and the only time he will get a whiff of the post season is when he walks past Yankee Stadium.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone who thinks Carl Crawford is a "bust" needs to look at his stats for his first ten years. From 2003 to 2010 he has had a solid to great batting average. He has not had a history of injuries. The problem is similar to what A-Rod experienced in his first year in New York. In Tampa Bay , Crawford was a leader, he was a focal point of the offense, he was THE MAN for that team. He now must adjust to being a cog in a machine, something he is not used to. He is not the main guy in this lineup, in fact it is not necessary for him to be great just play well. A-Rod seemed to experience this in New York, he was , for years, the main guy in Seattle , then Texas...in New York he was just another guy. Give up on this guy now and you will be singing a different song in the future. This guy is no Drew.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I think Crawford's problem is too much pressure, not too little.  This year he is the highest paid player on the team and can't deliver on that.  When he was at Tampa he was not paid nearly as much and therefore felt less pressure. 

A-Rod was expected to be the main man when he arrived in NYC, which is why he was getting the bigggest salary in MLB (and still is).  He was never, ever intended to be just another guy.  They paid megabucks for him because they weren't even getting to the WS, let alone win it. A-Rod was supposed to put them over the top, but could not until they added Teixeira. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Did anyone watch the game today and see what Crawford in his AB in the ninth. I thought it was gone also. Do people here watch the games?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Crawford played under a different atmosphere in Tampa Bay with no criticism or ultra high expectations.  Until he puts up numbers like he once had, he'll not be a fan favorite here.     Once his speed diminishes, his game will take a downward spiral.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Who knows what the collective RSN thinks of Crawford. Don't look for a representative accurate sample here, on WEEI, other talk shows, or in responses to columns. A better barometer might be listening to the crowd at Fenway.