Crawford injured again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from drewyou. Show drewyou's posts

Re: Crawford injured again

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again:
    Anyone who thinks Carl Crawford is a "bust" needs to look at his stats for his first ten years. From 2003 to 2010 he has had a solid to great batting average. He has not had a history of injuries. The problem is similar to what A-Rod experienced in his first year in New York. In Tampa Bay , Crawford was a leader, he was a focal point of the offense, he was THE MAN for that team. He now must adjust to being a cog in a machine, something he is not used to. He is not the main guy in this lineup, in fact it is not necessary for him to be great just play well. A-Rod seemed to experience this in New York, he was , for years, the main guy in Seattle , then Texas...in New York he was just another guy. Give up on this guy now and you will be singing a different song in the future.
    This guy is no Drew.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Zil, I like your posts, but I disagree. Crawford is not the same player that he has looked like in the past. It is no doubt the injuries. Will they be nagging like JD has had? Time will tell. But as for now, they seem to be multiple injuries. Will Crawford come through in the playoffs like JD has? Probably. But for the money, Crawford to me, is a worse signing than JD ever was. Agree to disagree.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Concord, the problem with you is that you are so constantly critical that nobody can tell if you are a closet Yankee fan, a troll, or a poor Red Sox fan? Your act is very dismal and the forum is saturated with that.
    Posted by Your-Echo

What's in your closet? On 2nd thought .... I'll pass.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

Did anyone watch the game today and see what Crawford in his AB in the ninth. I thought it was gone also. Do people here watch the games?
    Posted by Your-Echo

ALMOST GONE! not like you, pike; you're completely gone.
    Crawford doesn't seem very happy in BOSTON; maybe he could do all SOX fans a favor and leave. take THEO with him. take pikester with him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

A round bat hitting a round ball from the stopper of the KC team and Crawford who wasn't supposed to play today because of the pain and the cortisone shot hits the ball 370 feet where the ball died in its trajectory. Everyone watching thought that it was gone but the nut cases here are sure that Varitek was the logical choice to bat. It appears that many here have brain cells that can't understand what hindsight means.  Most fans will just suffer in silence and rack it up to bad luck, being unlucky, or fate. The ignorant always need a convenient scapegoat and they are consistent and predictable in here. You can set your clock by them. If Crawford had hit a HR, their tune would be entirely different. They would have told us that a hit by Crawford was indeed better than an out by Varitek. There is really no hope for these people. Color them ignorant or troll - take your pick.
    Posted by Your-Echo

you're the PLANTERS of nut cases.
    CRAWFISH stinks! he's a small market guy. send him to seattle.
    what was theo thinking when he made this particular BLUNDER.
    btw, it's gonna be a long weekend in CHICAGO for the SOX.
    wake, lester, and miller---a rose between two thorns.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

A round bat hitting a round ball from the stopper of the KC team and Crawford who wasn't supposed to play today because of the pain and the cortisone shot hits the ball 370 feet where the ball died in its trajectory. Everyone watching thought that it was gone but the nut cases here are sure that Varitek was the logical choice to bat. It appears that many here have brain cells that can't understand what hindsight means.  Most fans will just suffer in silence and rack it up to bad luck, being unlucky, or fate. The ignorant always need a convenient scapegoat and they are consistent and predictable in here. You can set your clock by them. If Crawford had hit a HR, their tune would be entirely different. They would have told us that a hit by Crawford was indeed better than an out by Varitek. There is really no hope for these people. Color them ignorant or troll - take your pick.
    Posted by Your-Echo

IF, IF,IF.

IF you had a sense of humor, people on this board wouldn't dislike you so much.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Was Cashman a model that Theo should emulate?? Sterling Hitchcock  Kyle Farnsworth  Octavio Dotel  Roger Clemens (2007) Kei Igawa  Kenny Rogers Kevin Brown  Jason Giambi ( one good year)  Jose Contreras  Jaret Wright  Steve Karsay  Dave Collins  Ray Smalley Hedeki Irabu Rondell White Carl Pavano  Jat Buhner  Jeff Weaver  Drew Henson  Tony Womack
    Posted by Your-Echo

Didnt he just commit suicide a few days ago?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : You are right.  I have heard many local announcers say that both Lackey and Crawford were overpaid.  You really can't blame them for signing these deals.  Theo is the one to blame for all of these awful contracts over the past several years. 
    Posted by susan250

thank you susan,
    some light in this theo boot-licking darkness.

i truly believe that theo is one of the worst GM'S in baseball as i've posted here ad nauseum. hopefully, if i say it enough, he will be gone. one can only hope.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : Susan, what about the good contracts, and the WS wins?  Do you remember what it was like before?  Personally, I don't think any of the people here complaining about Theo could do anhy better.  And I am  very happy they are spending money and competing so well.
    Posted by OhEFFU

you should have ended your post  at "i don't think."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Can you say "albatross"?
    Posted by -TheBabe-------------------

Harldy....when you have a billionaire owner, the word albatross doesnt exist..you should know this babe...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

I blame Theo for the entire Red Sox team.  I blame Theo for not trading the likes of Buch, Lester, Ells, Youk, Pap, Perdoia.  I blame Theo for signing Agon. Blame Theo - this team has been good for a long time now and will be good for many years to come.  Had they won today, they would have won over 80% of the games played in July - 80%. And that's with 40% of the Starting Rotation on the DL and Lackey playing way below expectations.  they won nearly 80% of the games with middle aged knuckleballer and a kid pulled off the scrap heap in the rotation. This is Amazing Stuff.  I get the sense that a lot of people don't truly appreciate what's going on with this team.  They are on track to win 100 games this season, after starting 2-10. Since starting out 2-10, the red sox have a winning percentage of .681. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

please change your moniker to THEOLOVER.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Thanks, ZILLAGOD for finally adding some thoughtful reason to this conversation. It does happen that a good player starts slowly in a new city, and your point about the adjustment CC needs to make is particularly well taken. I think he will have a down season, though possibly a fabulous post season, as he seems to be clutch (wind not blowing in yesterday, he wins the game), but I expect that he will rebound next year and remain solid throughout. No JD Drew here. The guy wants to play and does keep himself in good shape. It's impossible to predict or completely avoid injury, no matter how diligent you are about conditioning.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : You are right.  I have heard many local announcers say that both Lackey and Crawford were overpaid.  You really can't blame them for signing these deals.  Theo is the one to blame for all of these awful contracts over the past several years. 
    Posted by susan250

Dont just blame Theo..He has to get the OK on the bigger deals ie; CC and Lackey, from Henry..Theo had to call henry at 3am london time to get the OK to sign CC..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

Echo, Sorry but put me on ignore I am a Red Sox fan who is often critical.   What is the point if critical commentary does not exist in any forum let alone this one?  Good luck to you.  
    Posted by concord27

forget about your-echo, he used to be pike. he's hated by just about everyone on this board. kind of guy you might see at a bus stop waving bibles and preaching nonsense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

not a lot of confidence in Ellsbury--that was Theo's mindthought, especially the ridiculous experiment of moving him to LF--what a disaster that was. Not being able to get a Sabbathia--hence going hard for Lackey because he was the only one available. Same with Crawford. Again, if your choices are limited, bide your time. He did with the AGON deal. Wait it out. Maybe you can use money on guys who help rather than guys who don't. The best Sox have always been the ones that show early production early on in their Sox careers--Manny, Ortiz, Pedroia, Youkilis, Nomar, Buchholz, Lester, Papelbon, AGON..The not so best Sox are the ones that are slow early and then continue to be slow--Drew, Crawford, Lackey, Renteria, Lugo, Cameron, Tony Clark...a lot of non-Sox guys. The guys who came up through the organization or are premium free agent signees are the quality guys not the *gasp" free agent signings of some of the guys I just mentioned. Guys who simply were not stars to begin with and didn't justify the salaries they received from the Sox vault. It's time that Theo learned this--no more signing marginal talents for high-price moneyh.
    Posted by dannycater

This might be the most hindsight-laden post I have ever read.  Wait it out?  Seriously?  Every time Epstein does NOT make a move he gets ripped for inactivity.  How about we assume that all those times he did not make a move, he passed on a colossal bust?  Like when Epstein did not sign Gary Mathews Jr or Alfonso Soriano, or when he did not trade Colby Rasmus for Edwin Jackson and some spare parts?

Most of the players who have shown “early on” were not old enough to ever be free agents.  And there is a lot of list padding there.  How many people remember when the majority of the posts on this board felt we sent the wrong lefty (Gabbard) to Texas and should have sent Lester instead?  How many will still admit they said that?  Or as recently as 2 years ago, how many kept calling out Buchholz as a bust with a “deer in the headlights” look?  I don’t hear that anymore either.

Referring to Lackey and Crawford as “marginal talents” seems to be based on frustration and little else. Crawford has been an elite OF for almost his entire career, and while Lackey is not a perennial Cy Young talent, he has definitely been a well above average pitcher.  The problem is, Sox fans seem to be expecting elite talent for above average price.  Players like Drew and Lackey were paid in line with other similar players around the league, and right in line with what the market said they should be.  And while it is a lot of money, the elite players don’t settle for $14mill range anymore.  Unless, for some reason, you think of players like AJ Burnett and Bobby Abreu as “elite”.

I really don’t get how you determined started out fast or slow, other than making a list of players you felt underperformed.  Maybe you did not notice, but the first list contains TWO free agents (Ramirez and Ortiz).  The second list is exclusively free agents.  This is actually more of a statement league-wide about the success rate of this method of player acquisition.  And for the record, Drew had a miserable first year, but then had 2 straight .900 OPS seasons.  How is a .900 OPS considered “slow”?

All free agents are overpaid.  They are also old enough to have 6 years of MLB wear and tear, and usually over 30 and on the downside of their careers.  If you look at the approximate ages each player debuted with the Sox – Ramirez (28), Ortiz (28), Pedroia (23), Nomar (24), Buchholz (23), Lester (22), Papelbon (24) and Gonzalez (29) and then compare them to the ages on the second list – Drew (32), Crawford (29), Lackey (31), Renteria (30), Lugo (31), Cameron (37), Clark (30) – then you will see the real reason for this trend.  This happens with every team that signs free agents.  I will admit I did not look up any ages, so I am probably equally inaccurate with both lists.  But if I am reasonably close, the first group has an average age of about 24.5, and the second group has an average age of about 31.5.  The difference of 7 years is right in line with the 6 years of service time before free agency, and the primary reason for the difference in performance.

The real solution is to avoid the bigger name free agents who command mega salaries for long periods of time.  Free agency is best used to find short term solutions and stopgap players. 

I liked the LF experiment, which was only a disaster because Beltre crushed Ellsbury’s ribs, hardly a foreseeable injury.  But I have noticed that a lot of the speedy CF leadoff type players become significantly better hitters when they play the less demanding LF position (Crisp, Podsednik, Pierre, for example).  I do not know if this was ever considered by the FO, however.  What I do know is that after Bay and Holliday, there was not much else left of OF talent that offseason.  Cameron was the third best OF available, and he was offered a short term, low money (by free agent standards) contract.  If you think about it, this was how MLB General Managers – to use your words - “wait it out” until they can get the player they want.  Take Cameron on for a short time and go for the real target – Crawford, as the long term plan.  So maybe your hindsight-laden idea has created the very situation you are complaining about and think you are solving.

It might also be worth noting that the Cameron signing came on the heels of the article Ken Rosenthal wrote about the lack of African American players on the Red Sox, and how it would affect the decisions of similar free agents to sign there.  While many fans felt Rosenthal was stating the Sox were racist, what he was actually saying was that some players might prefer to have some teammates they have some commonality with, especially if everything else (money, years) is relatively equal.  I don’t know if this article influenced the sox at all, or even if it made them think.  But the Sox signed Cameron and Darnell McDonald that off-season and also dealt for Bill Hall.  Was all this done with Crawford and Rosenthal in mind?  The Sox will NEVER admit this, but that doesn’t change whether or not they did.  And if they did, and Crawford does turn it around and become elite again, was Cameron really such a bad move?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nice post, notin... always a good read.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Echo, Sorry but put me on ignore I am a Red Sox fan who is often critical.   What is the point if critical commentary does not exist in any forum let alone this one?  Good luck to you.  
    Posted by concord27

Good for you, concord27. I am sick of being told by some self-appointed "real Red Sox fan" that in order to be a true fan one must ALWAYS be positive. Critical (note to all you Pollyanna fans, "critical" here means "reasoned" not "negative") thinking and objective observation are in short supply in most of American society, and it doesn't hurt to have some of it injected into this forum! Sure, "fan" is short for "fanatic", but on a discussion forum, it helps to have some objective criticism once in a while!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Carl Crawford's one-out, ninth-inning deep fly ball fell about three feet short of being a walk-off homer. Instead, it was a looooong second out of the ninth inning.

That close call doesn't make this nugget dug up by ESPN Stats & Information any easier to swallow: According to ESPN's home run tracker, Crawford's fly would've been walk-off two-run homer in every other major league park besides Fenway, which curves dramatically past the short Pesky Pole in right.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

Carl Crawford's one-out, ninth-inning deep fly ball fell about three feet short of being a walk-off homer. Instead, it was a looooong second out of the ninth inning. That close call doesn't make this nugget dug up by ESPN Stats & Information any easier to swallow: According to ESPN's home run tracker, Crawford's fly would've been walk-off two-run homer in every other major league park besides Fenway, which curves dramatically past the short Pesky Pole in right.
    Posted by Your-Echo

hey pikester, why don't you and CRAWFISH get a room.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

Why is it that last winter everyone and i mean everyone on these sites were going crazy about the fact the sox had signed Crawford. If Theo was taken in so where all of you.  Now we call him names like Crawfish, you all should be ashamed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : Dont just blame Theo..He has to get the OK on the bigger deals ie; CC and Lackey, from Henry..Theo had to call henry at 3am london time to get the OK to sign CC..
    Posted by southpaw777

i assume john henry has caller ID. why does he continue to answer theo's calls?
    i was always told that calls after 11:00 pm are usually bad news.
    this one at 3:00 am certainly was.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Why is it that last winter everyone and i mean everyone on these sites were going crazy about the fact the sox had signed Crawford. If Theo was taken in so where all of you.  Now we call him names like Crawfish, you all should be ashamed.  
    Posted by wallyac

Most Sox fans still like Crawford. The most vocal on this forum are the trolls. You need to put them onto ignore. Trolls aren't Sox fans. They come here to annoy others, that is their game. You should ignore Billyboy, the-yazzer, and Babe. Most serious regulars do that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Tim Wakefield has done more for this team for 3 million than Crawford has done with 142 invested over several years. That's pretty sad.
    Posted by dannycater

Why are you comparing an annual salary vs. a 7seven year total. Did you ever hear of unit pricing when you shop?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Babe--------. Show The-Babe--------'s posts

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : Most Sox fans still like Crawford. The most vocal on this forum are the trolls. You need to put them onto ignore. Trolls aren't Sox fans. They come here to annoy others, that is their game. You should ignore Billyboy, the-yazzer, and Babe. Most serious regulars do that.

Posted by Your-Echo

LOL....yet you, pike, don't put us on ignore. I guess you don't consider yourself a "serious regular".

It's because you are a troll yourself.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : LOL....yet you, pike, don't put us on ignore. I guess you don't consider yourself a "serious regular". It's because you are a troll yourself.
    Posted by The-Babe--------

I couldn't perform my designated role on this forum if I put the trolls on ignore. That would be like the police ignoring the ten most wanted list.

Sections
Shortcuts