Crawford injured again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Babe--------. Show The-Babe--------'s posts

Re: Crawford injured again

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again:
    In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : I couldn't perform my designated role on this forum if I put the trolls on ignore. That would be like the police ignoring the ten most wanted list.

Posted by Your-Echo

LOL...the only one who designated you for your troll...err...I mean...role is yourself.

Not to mention, I know you envision yourself as some sort of "troll police" but, doesn't it get exhausting knowing that you fail miserably in your self appointed role? I mean, it's not like you have really accomplished anything.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

Why is it that last winter everyone and i mean everyone on these sites were going crazy about the fact the sox had signed Crawford. If Theo was taken in so where all of you.  Now we call him names like Crawfish, you all should be ashamed.  
    Posted by wallyac

i'm not ashamed because i WASN'T crazy about the fact of obtaining CRAWFISH.
    i just chalked it up as another THEO BLUNDER; more expensive than usual.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : LOL....yet you, pike, don't put us on ignore. I guess you don't consider yourself a "serious regular". It's because you are a troll yourself.
    Posted by The-Babe--------

pikester isn't smart enough to be a troll.
    he's more suited to be a troglodyte.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : LOL...the only one who designated you for your troll...err...I mean...role is yourself. Not to mention, I know you envision yourself as some sort of "troll police" but, doesn't it get exhausting knowing that you fail miserably in your self appointed role? I mean, it's not like you have really accomplished anything.

Not true. My efforts make you change your moniker daily and it's not because you get banned but it's because you are aware that you go onto 200 ignore lists everytime you change your moniker. Your biggest fear isn't being banned. It is being ignored. The newbies need to be alerted to the fact that your mission is to annoy Red Sox fans.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Giving top money to guys who aren't  or did nothing as Sox is a mantra the Sox have lived by for years. Not giving money to guys who are Sox, contribute to the Sox winning, is also a mantra. When Ellsbury and Papelbon leave because they are short-changed on salary, you can guess who their agents will be citing as reasons to be paid very large money--Crawford, Lackey...to name 2. And yes, Cameron was a horrible signing. The very fact he even is hitting for his new team just shows you he couldn't handle his role in Boston. He was absolutely a waste of money, waste of time. As for hindsight, I was very harsh in my criticism of the Sox FO when they signed Cameron, when they moved Ellsbury, when they signed Lackey, and I was not happy when Beckett got his re-up. I was wrong on Beckett, but as you can probably look back, so were about 90 percent of the media who had also ascertained that maybe Josh was losing it.

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : This might be the most hindsight-laden post I have ever read.  Wait it out?  Seriously?  Every time Epstein does NOT make a move he gets ripped for inactivity.  How about we assume that all those times he did not make a move, he passed on a colossal bust?  Like when Epstein did not sign Gary Mathews Jr or Alfonso Soriano, or when he did not trade Colby Rasmus for Edwin Jackson and some spare parts? Most of the players who have shown “early on” were not old enough to ever be free agents.  And there is a lot of list padding there.  How many people remember when the majority of the posts on this board felt we sent the wrong lefty (Gabbard) to Texas and should have sent Lester instead?  How many will still admit they said that?  Or as recently as 2 years ago, how many kept calling out Buchholz as a bust with a “deer in the headlights” look?  I don’t hear that anymore either. Referring to Lackey and Crawford as “marginal talents” seems to be based on frustration and little else. Crawford has been an elite OF for almost his entire career, and while Lackey is not a perennial Cy Young talent, he has definitely been a well above average pitcher.  The problem is, Sox fans seem to be expecting elite talent for above average price.  Players like Drew and Lackey were paid in line with other similar players around the league, and right in line with what the market said they should be.  And while it is a lot of money, the elite players don’t settle for $14mill range anymore.  Unless , for some reason, you think of players like AJ Burnett and Bobby Abreu as “elite”. I really don’t get how you determined started out fast or slow, other than making a list of players you felt underperformed.  Maybe you did not notice, but the first list contains TWO free agents (Ramirez and Ortiz).  The second list is exclusively free agents.  This is actually more of a statement league-wide about the success rate of this method of player acquisition.  And for the record, Drew had a miserable first year, but then had 2 straight .900 OPS seasons.  How is a .900 OPS considered “slow”? All free agents are overpaid.  They are also old enough to have 6 years of MLB wear and tear, and usually over 30 and on the downside of their careers.  If you look at the approximate ages each player debuted with the Sox – Ramirez (28), Ortiz (28), Pedroia (23), Nomar (24), Buchholz (23), Lester (22), Papelbon (24) and Gonzalez (29) and then compare them to the ages on the second list – Drew (32), Crawford (29), Lackey (31), Renteria (30), Lugo (31), Cameron (37), Clark (30) – then you will see the real reason for this trend.  This happens with every team that signs free agents.  I will admit I did not look up any ages, so I am probably equally inaccurate with both lists.  But if I am reasonably close, the first group has an average age of about 24.5, and the second group has an average age of about 31.5.  The difference of 7 years is right in line with the 6 years of service time before free agency, and the primary reason for the difference in performance. The real solution is to avoid the bigger name free agents who command mega salaries for long periods of time.  Free agency is best used to find short term solutions and stopgap players.  I liked the LF experiment, which was only a disaster because Beltre crushed Ellsbury’s ribs, hardly a foreseeable injury.  But I have noticed that a lot of the speedy CF leadoff type players become significantly better hitters when they play the less demanding LF position (Crisp, Podsednik, Pierre, for example).  I do not know if this was ever considered by the FO, however.  What I do know is that after Bay and Holliday, there was not much else left of OF talent that offseason.  Cameron was the third best OF available, and he was offered a short term, low money (by free agent standards) contract.  If you think about it, this was how MLB General Managers – to use your words - “wait it out” until they can get the player they want.  Take Cameron on for a short time and go for the real target – Crawford, as the long term plan.  So maybe your hindsight-laden idea has created the very situation you are complaining about and think you are solving. It might also be worth noting that the Cameron signing came on the heels of the article Ken Rosenthal wrote about the lack of African American players on the Red Sox, and how it would affect the decisions of similar free agents to sign there.  While many fans felt Rosenthal was stating the Sox were racist, what he was actually saying was that some players might prefer to have some teammates they have some commonality with, especially if everything else (money, years) is relatively equal.  I don’t know if this article influenced the sox at all, or even if it made them think.  But the Sox signed Cameron and Darnell McDonald that off-season and also dealt for Bill Hall.  Was all this done with Crawford and Rosenthal in mind?  The Sox will NEVER admit this, but that doesn’t change whether or not they did.  And if they did, and Crawford does turn it around and become elite again, was Cameron really such a bad move?
    Posted by notin

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Babe--------. Show The-Babe--------'s posts

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : Not true. My efforts make you change your moniker daily and it's not because you get banned but it's because you are aware that you go onto 200 ignore lists everytime you change your moniker. Your biggest fear isn't being banned. It is being ignored. The newbies need to be alerted to the fact that your mission is to annoy Red Sox fans.

Posted by Your-Echo

LOL...hardly. Your efforts have no effect on me other than to make me laugh at you.

And your mission is to annoy anyone who doesn't agree with you. How in your little mind does that make you less of a troll?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

You could design an OP that polls forum regulars to list the worst trolls in here. I'm sure that you would top the list.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

You could design an OP that polls forum regulars to list the worst trolls in here. I'm sure that you would top the list.
    Posted by Your-Echo

DAMN!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Babe--------. Show The-Babe--------'s posts

Posted by Your-Echo

That doesn't change the fact that you are a troll as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

And noteboy, your idea that the Sox responded to racism last year is really a stretch. So if you are correct on that theory, do the Sox get called racists this year for dumping Cameron, Hall for better producers who just happened to be white? And that a .150 hitting McDonald was kept because he was black over some white guys in the minors? And that Navarro is here because of the  color of his skin? Really? .....It's league wide. There are less and less black players because black athletes have chosen to play basketball/football on a wide basis, and opted to not play the sport of baseball. It's discouraging for many of the former black players, even with the existence of the RBI program, geared toward pushing black teens into playing the sport. Those are facts, not guessing that you put out in your last post.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : That doesn't change the fact that you are a troll as well.

Your logic is:

A policeman is a criminal becuse he chases criminals. No comprendo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Carl Crawford is a nice talent, but he's got 2 months and a postseason to help this team win. His current numbers don't suggest a guy who is worth 142 million. Is that his fault? No, it's the Sox for signing another lefty speedster when they had a duplicate in CF. But nevertheless, I expect more from CC, and I think most Sox fans deserve to see him perform like he did in Tampa. Often, free agent guys who are slow starters as Sox remain that way in their careers as Sox. Manny, AGON, Schilling were guys who immediately showed their impact as Sox in their first seasons as Sox. It's not rocket science.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Drew came out of the blocks slow, and never reached even an Atlanta type season. Renteria was a bust right away. Cameron a bust right away. Some guys thrive as Sox, some just don't want to be Sox or can't handle the fish bowl.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

And for what it's worth, Johnny Damon, Bill Mueller, Kevin Millar immediately performed for Sox, Millar only getting worse after '04. That's why the 03-04 teams won. I appreciate guys who perform for Sox, and I tend to criticize those that don't. That's why I hated John Smoltz, who was a complete bust as a Sox, as was Brad Penny.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Carl Crawford is a nice talent, but he's got 2 months and a postseason to help this team win. His current numbers don't suggest a guy who is worth 142 million. Is that his fault? No, it's the Sox for signing another lefty speedster when they had a duplicate in CF. But nevertheless, I expect more from CC, and I think most Sox fans deserve to see him perform like he did in Tampa. Often, free agent guys who are slow starters as Sox remain that way in their careers as Sox. Manny, AGON, Schilling were guys who immediately showed their impact as Sox in their first seasons as Sox. It's not rocket science.
    Posted by dannycater

Is there a deadline for deciding if the seven year contract on Crawford was a bust? He might finish this year well. Hemight have a great year next year.Most in RSN this past winter were elated with the signing and did not see duplicity between him and Ellsbury as a problem. Sorry that Crawford's impact wasn't immediate but many in RSN will be patient. Nobody promised you a rose garden.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

And for what it's worth, Johnny Damon, Bill Mueller, Kevin Millar immediately performed for Sox, Millar only getting worse after '04. That's why the 03-04 teams won. I appreciate guys who perform for Sox, and I tend to criticize those that don't. That's why I hated John Smoltz, who was a complete bust as a Sox, as was Brad Penny.
    Posted by dannycater

hey danny,

CRAWFISH is going to be so big a BUST, that dolly parton will be jealous.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Babe--------. Show The-Babe--------'s posts

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : Your logic is: A policeman is a criminal becuse he chases criminals. No comprendo.

Posted by Your-Echo

LOL.....but only you in your warped little mind consider yourself a "policeman". 

The rest of us just find you annoying, which makes you a troll.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Instant gratification. Immediate results. This happens about half the time with most MLB teams. Sometimes high-priced FAs never pan out. Just look at Cashman's signings over the last ten years. Many teams have been burnt on long term contracts for starting pitching. It happens all of the time.  To be happy with instant results is an obvious reaction but don't expect it all of the time since that would be unrealistic. Some players need a year to acclimate and settle down and then excel in the following year. GMs can't guarantee anything and Theo himself said that he aims to be 60% right in such dealings. Mature fans should be aware of such things.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Babe--------. Show The-Babe--------'s posts

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : Is there a deadline for deciding if the seven year contract on Crawford was a bust? He might finish this year well. Hemight have a great year next year.Most in RSN this past winter were elated with the signing and did not see duplicity between him and Ellsbury as a problem. Sorry that Crawford's impact wasn't immediate but many in RSN will be patient. Nobody promised you a rose garden.

Posted by Your-Echo

Then again, he might not finish this year well. He might have a horrible year next year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Sterling Hitchcock
    Kyle Farnsworth
    Octavio Dotel
    Roger Clemens (2007)
    Kei Igawa
    Kenny Rogers
    Kevin Brown 
    Jason Giambi ( one good year) 
    Jose Contreras
    Jaret Wright
    Steve Karsay
    Dave Collins
    Ray Smalley
    Rondell White
    Carl Pavano
    Jay Buhner 
    Jeff Weaver
    Drew Henson
    Tony Womack
    Posted by Your-Echo

Very true Babe - just look at what happened with these players.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Babe--------. Show The-Babe--------'s posts

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : Very true Babe - just look at what happened with these players.

Posted by Your-Echo

I hear ya.......

rod beck, leon culberson, darren oliver, eric gagne, larry andersen, willy mo pena, lew krausse, rany kutcher, darren bragg, calvin schraldi, wes gardner, danny cater, stan papi, renteria, lugo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford injured again : Very true Babe - just look at what happened with these players.
    Posted by Your-Echo

i don't know; kenny rogers had  a pretty good singing career.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

you got to know when to hold them....oh wait....jumped the shark

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I remember the idiots that said Pedroia was a bust....I think it was 2007 , when he had that slow April.

The idiots that wanted to dump Ortiz, when he had two slow Aprils back to back.

I can recall many who wanted to proclaim Jon Lester a bust when he had a bad April.

People today want instant gratification, it's part of de-evolution.

We as a society are getting dumber. There is no doubt about it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

I remember the idiots that said Pedroia was a bust....I think it was 2007 , when he had that slow April. The idiots that wanted to dump Ortiz, when he had two slow Aprils back to back. I can recall many who wanted to proclaim Jon Lester a bust when he had a bad April. People today want instant gratification, it's part of de-evolution. We as a society are getting dumber. There is no doubt about it.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

you're right zilla, they were idiots who wanted to vanquish both pedroia and ortiz.

but in the case of crawford, there is only one person to be described as a major idiot--that would be THEO. plus, the other idiots who think CRAWFISH WON'T be a bust in boston.

and yes, this is a dumb f'ing country.

Sections
Shortcuts