Crawford maybe the worst FA Sox signing ever!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

Re: Crawford maybe the worst FA Sox signing ever!

In Response to Re: Crawford maybe the worst FA Sox signing ever!:
    [QUOTE]Crawberrry was hyped. Crawbust is manifest. Few decried the absurdity of offer Crawford 142M! A lot will now claim they did.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

Same people that saw Jimi Hendrix playing the star spangled banner live.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]Crawberrry was hyped. Crawbust is manifest. Few decried the absurdity of offer Crawford 142M! A lot will now claim they did.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

I wanted Werth, then Pence, but now all I got is Crawberry stains on my Red Sox snuggie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I wanted to like Carl....that might actually be a bumper sticker in Boston soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Youk, better days are ahead;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think with every hit Elles drives in or scores the FO cringes they jumped the gun and inked Crawford. I am thinking the FO did not think Elles would be as good as he has been.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

True, Burrito, but one season does not a player value make. Instead of panic and paying Ellsbury 12 to 14M and hope 2011 Ellsbury does not become 2010 Crawford or Ellsbury career averages, The has the windfall window to cut Crawford losses by selling Ellsbury's final 2 years to a GM who has a Kemp type of profile and Epstein's idiocy on valuing players like Crawford and Ellsbury after career high season. 2012 Crawford will return to at or near career averages, and so will Ellsbury. Not sure if Epstein is smart enough to see the obvious. Keegan Bradley is not going to be a golf superstar. See Ben Curtis.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Crawford maybe the worst FA Sox signing ever!:
    [QUOTE]As I stated before the season started...just ain't Sox material and never will be. Oh well....just six more years of this...enjoy!!!
    Posted by mattman1447[/QUOTE]

Stop picking your nose and just maybe you might find a friend.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford maybe the worst FA Sox signing ever! :  I wanted Werth, then Pence, but now all I got is Crawberry stains on my Red Sox snuggie.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

it'll take 6+ years to get those stains out. you might as well burn it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]That one's been used before , at least be original. Besides,it's my uncle's basement, I am out of the clinic for the week. Try finding friends in a mental hospital. Seriously , it ain't easy! But even the people on the inside are sane enough to see that Crawford hasn't been a Red Sox long enough to be judged as as "worst dressed" , "least likely to succeed" or "worst signing ever." You bandwagon guys crack me up, you think a guy gets a big contarct and he's supposed to carry the team. Sure, he's having a subpar year , but I suggest you look at Hall of Famer Carl Yastrzemski's lifetime stats. Yaz had some dreadful seasons but still made the Hall, you have heard of Yastrzemski...right?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Seriously Crawford has spent approximately 1/2 a season with the sox(he missed time due to an injury) and people are ready to say this is a worse signing then JD Drew!  Give it time!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Pose the same question in 2015 or 2016 and you just might get an objective and intelligent response.   Trying to predict the future in baseball with respect to a position player having only played about 100 games or so is mindless and ultimately irrelevant speculation. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

well the issue is that he signed 7 years 146 million

he's already been a waste for 15% of the term - worth no more than 2 million

what can we expect from him in years 6 and 7?  probably what we're seeing now = another 4 million

even if he returns to closer to his career averages for years 2, 3, 4, and 5 = 15*4 = 60 million

= a 66 million dollar performance for 146 million

Drew was bought in for big money to bat 5th and he ended up being an overpaid 8-hole hitter - at least he played RF in Fenway!

Craw was bought in to bat in the top 3 and he's going to be a highly overpaid #9 Hitter, playing LF...in Fenway!

I think Theo has to be cringing over this

No one has been more responsible for driving up players salaries over the last 5 years other than Theo.  Who is Theo bidding against anyways?  If he tightens up the check book who else is going to pay Lackey and Crawford and Drew and Renteria etc etc that kind of money?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]well the issue is that he signed 7 years 146 million he's already been a waste for 15% of the term - worth no more than 2 million what can we expect from him in years 6 and 7?  probably what we're seeing now = another 4 million even if he returns to closer to his career averages for years 2, 3, 4, and 5 = 15*4 = 60 million = a 66 million dollar performance for 146 million Drew was bought in for big money to bat 5th and he ended up being an overpaid 8-hole hitter - at least he played RF in Fenway! Craw was bought in to bat in the top 3 and he's going to be a highly overpaid #9 Hitter, playing LF...in Fenway! I think Theo has to be cringing over this No one has been more responsible for driving up players salaries over the last 5 years other than Theo.  Who is Theo bigging against anyways?  If he tightens up the check book who else is going to pay Lackey and Crawford and Drew and Renteria etc etc that kind of money?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

theo's one bottle short of a six-pack. i do hope john henry comes to his senses and fires the clown. i just hope it isn't true that john henry adopted him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

According to the TB people, CC is the wrong match in Boston.  In LF (i.e Fenway) he will nt use his attributes; not a HR hitter.  They might be right.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]well the issue is that he signed 7 years 146 million he's already been a waste for 15% of the term - worth no more than 2 million what can we expect from him in years 6 and 7?  probably what we're seeing now = another 4 million even if he returns to closer to his career averages for years 2, 3, 4, and 5 = 15*4 = 60 million = a 66 million dollar performance for 146 million Drew was bought in for big money to bat 5th and he ended up being an overpaid 8-hole hitter - at least he played RF in Fenway! Craw was bought in to bat in the top 3 and he's going to be a highly overpaid #9 Hitter, playing LF...in Fenway! I think Theo has to be cringing over this No one has been more responsible for driving up players salaries over the last 5 years other than Theo.  Who is Theo bigging against anyways?  If he tightens up the check book who else is going to pay Lackey and Crawford and Drew and Renteria etc etc that kind of money?

Gotta disagree.  Burnett's deal with NYY set the price for Lackey.  Werth's deal with Washington jacked the price for Crawford.  How high would the Angels have gone for Crawford?  Hard to say, but they took on Wells' contract for 4 years, 81 million.

As for Drew, remember that he opted out of a 5 year, 55 million deal with the Dodgers.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]What I am waiting for is the complainers to admit they were wrong about Lackey who is 6-0 in his last 7 starts. I'll be waiting a long time, these people know how to b*tch , but can't take their medicine when they are wrong. I complain about Drew, but he hasn't redeemed himself yet, if he evers does, I'll admit that I was wrong.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE] well Zill, you've already outlived all the dinosaurs in your age bracket, i'm sure you can afford to be patient...Tongue out 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

To say you cannot see Crawford is not going to be a good fit on this team is to be blind to what is going on.  We have a lead off hitter and a two that are better than Crawford will ever be where does the 142 million dollar man fit.  This situation is a mess, and is one of the worst signings in baseball free agency history.  We are stuck with him and must find a way to improve without him.  Lackey was a terrible signing as well. We are seeing what chasing talent that is not worth the money can do to a team.  Let's hope the 1,2,3, hitters can pull us out of this.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

Crawford swinging at pitches out of the strike zone reminds me a lot of a guy by the name of Yogi Berra, with the big difference being that Yogi could somehow make contact with pitches out of the strike zone and still get a base hit.  Crawford doesn't seem to be able to make contact with pitches in the strike zone, and when he does, it usually is a pop up, a harmless fly ball or ground out, and yes I know that CC has had a few good days getting hits, but his walks to strikeouts tell the story on him.  Sure hope that by some miracle CC can turn it around and become the player he was with Tampa, especially when he played against the Sox.  GO CC & SOX!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford maybe the worst FA Sox signing ever! : Gotta disagree.  Burnett's deal with NYY set the price for Lackey.  Werth's deal with Washington jacked the price for Crawford.  How high would the Angels have gone for Crawford?  Hard to say, but they took on Wells' contract for 4 years, 81 million. As for Drew, remember that he opted out of a 5 year, 55 million deal with the Dodgers.   
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

those analogies are not relevant

What if Nancy Boy opted out of a 200 million dollar deal?  Does that mean Theo had to give him 300 million?

What if AJ got 150 million from NY?  Does that mean the Sox had to pay Lackey 150 million?

And remember, just because a guy may be worth big money based on stats, doesn't mean he will automatically get that $.  It depends on what other teams interest is.  If I make an offer on a 500K house and I offer 250K and I am the only one who has made an offer in a year, that's the price of the house.  Doesn't matter if it is 10k sqaure feet on 10 acres.  Now, the seller can decide not to sell.  Same thing w/ the players.  They can just go home and play golf and not sell their services.  But Theo would pay the seller of the house $600K because he thinks it's worth and to be sure no one else will out bid him.  It's INSANE!  

And if a player would rather go home than make $50 million because he thinks he's worth $75 million then I say let him go home.  We don't want that kinda player  -  how much motivation do we have to give these guys?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

mitch, absolutely. It's fuzzy math when you take some other GM's failings and then try to justify the Sox GM making collosal errors of judgment. It's as if some fans think that Theo is "forced" to issue this gigantic contracts to the free agents available because the market says its so. Hence Lackey comes in and Crawford. There's a point where you say, "just no" if an outside FA is asking for too much money or the Sox are willing to go 40 to 50 million above the call to sign a guy to satisfy a want...not a need. You can even make a case that as good as AGON really was, did they really need him? How much ultimate money would have been saved to leave Youks at 1b, and either re-sign Beltre or go out and get a 3b in a trade or deal. The Sox got AGON, and I love the guy, and he's MVP candidate, and at the end of the day....the difference between a healthy lineup last year and the healthy lineup this year---last year---guys who could have or we could have expected to help lead the way Youks, Beltre, VMART, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Ortiz v. this year's Youks, AGON, Pedroia, Ellsbury, and Ortiz...and Crawford.

I look at is an overall downgrade then an upgrade. The 3b last year was better defensively, the 1b last year was a GG and already produced (and a Dirt Dog), the C-DH-1B was a solid hitter, a leading type hitter. This year, AGON had been nothing short of fantastic prior to the All-Star Break, Crawford has been horrendous, the guy at 3B is struggling now at 3b, and his defense is not as strong as it was when it was at 1b (replaced by the great AGON, who obviously is a great 1b defensively). More money was spent on the want of AGON, want of CC. You can slice things how you want to slice things, but in reality, the offense of last year's team could have easily been the same as this year's team factored in that Pedroia and Ellsbury don't miss a ton of playing time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's like Crawford has offset AGON, so when Adrian slumped, it just magnified the Sox holes in the lineup. Still, I'm glad AGON is the 1b for I hope many years to come.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

AGon is phenominal and will be a long-term assett. Crawford better get it in gear in 2012, thats all.  He may not be worth the money but if he at least plays well it will be lot better for the team long-term than say Drew.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford maybe the worst FA Sox signing ever! : those analogies are not relevant What if Nancy Boy opted out of a 200 million dollar deal?  Does that mean Theo had to give him 300 million? What if AJ got 150 million from NY?  Does that mean the Sox had to pay Lackey 150 million? And remember, just because a guy may be worth big money based on stats, doesn't mean he will automatically get that $.  It depends on what other teams interest is.  If I make an offer on a 500K house and I offer 250K and I am the only one who has made an offer in a year, that's the price of the house.  Doesn't matter if it is 10k sqaure feet on 10 acres.  Now, the seller can decide not to sell.  Same thing w/ the players.  They can just go home and play golf and not sell their services.  But Theo would pay the seller of the house $600K because he thinks it's worth and to be sure no one else will out bid him. 

The thing is andrew, you don't know who else was in on Lackey or Crawford or what anyone else was willing to pay.  I don't either.  The only info we get is what the press feeds us.  And I'm not saying that these were good deals, that's not the issue.  The issue is whether Theo could have signed them for less.  As I said the Angels are paying Wells 20 million a year, so I think it's pretty clear that they would have paid somewhere in that range for Crawford.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Angel offered Crawford comparable $$$ per year but for one less year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from davescout. Show davescout's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford maybe the worst FA Sox signing ever! : I agree with you about Crawford.  We really can't judge his performance as a Red Sox after one season.  If he doesn't improve the next couple of years, then I would say that it was a bad signing.  Hopefully, next season we will see a vast improvement from Crawford. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]
    So we give him a free pass for sucking the whole year ?  He is playing as bad as his acting in those Dunkin Donuts comercials..... " I always have the green light" just awful